TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,... > Bikes > Suzuki Bandits

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #41
1stSuzuki

Re: Vibration help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj79zx View Post
I marked the position of the balancer shaft and tried adjusting it. No difference. I'll try switching to synthetic oil and see if that does anything. I've got a feeling it's just one of "those"bikes.
I truly believe synthetic oil will make a difference. I've always noticed less vibration and noise in multiple rides when switching to synthetic. I do have some vibration in all the areas you have mentioned. But again, its no where near as bad as most other bikes I've owned. And most of the time I'm usually below or at 3,000 rpms at a steady cruise. I generally get into 6th as soon as feasible.
1stSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #42
Drop_Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes old virago View Post
Factory lemon.
I'm convinced about 25% of the 1250's vibrate. There's no way the people in the "smooth as silk" camp are riding the exact same bikes that the OP and myself ride.
Drop_Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #43
ed29

I am stuck on the point where pulling in the clutch makes the vibration go away. That smacks of a tight link in the chain. All it takes is one. With a slack chain or better yet with the wheel removed manipulate each link and look for any tight ones. Another possible culprit is the cush drive. Have you removed the rear wheel and inspected the rubber for correct installation or any funny wear pattern? If you set the bike at a given speed, such as 45 MPH and shift through gears from second to sixth does the vibration go away?

Life is short... Ride it hard.
ed29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #44
Drop_Center

Pulling in the clutch makes it go away because it cuts power to the engine where the vibration is. The putting the engine under load is what causes it to vibrate. IMO
Drop_Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #45
mikes old virago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_Center View Post
I'm convinced about 25% of the 1250's vibrate. There's no way the people in the "smooth as silk" camp are riding the exact same bikes that the OP and myself ride.
If the alignment of the balancer is OFF by ONE TOOTH, it makes the vibrations WORSE than if there was no balancer at all! Looking at the assembly instructions, that is possible, as the crank is not held tight while the balancer is installed, and IF IT SHIFTED, it would not be seen by the installer, as the alignment marks are on the opposite side of the case.
It needs something to lock the crank while the balancer is placed as an aid to assembly.

Last edited by mikes old virago; 08-08-2017 at 09:40 PM.
mikes old virago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #46
1stSuzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed29 View Post
I am stuck on the point where pulling in the clutch makes the vibration go away. That smacks of a tight link in the chain. All it takes is one. With a slack chain or better yet with the wheel removed manipulate each link and look for any tight ones. Another possible culprit is the cush drive. Have you removed the rear wheel and inspected the rubber for correct installation or any funny wear pattern? If you set the bike at a given speed, such as 45 MPH and shift through gears from second to sixth does the vibration go away?
The OP said it doesn't matter if the clutch is pulled in or not. It goes away when the rpm's drop. Even with the lever pulled in, if he revs it past 3,000 rpms's the vibration is the same as if he's cruising at 3,000 rpms.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #47
1stSuzuki

Quote:
I will give that a shot, hopefully I have the same result. If not I don't think I'm going to make the effort to track down the issue through Suzuki. I really like the bike but I can move on to something else pretty easily.
Any updates?
Old 08-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #48
jetdr21

Have you tried locating another bike to compare it too?
jetdr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #49
cj79zx

I drove an 08 with 20k miles that was a piece of junk and it did not vibrate. I tried synthetic oil and there was no change in vibrations. Problem is solved from my end now though, it's been traded in on a new R1200R. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help, unfortunately I think it was just a "Friday afternoon or hangover Monday morning" bike.
cj79zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #50
moneyfunny

well best of luck with the new bike. you certainly didn't trade down.
moneyfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #51
RobG

Quote:
I drove an 08 with 20k miles that was a piece of junk and it did not vibrate. I tried synthetic oil and there was no change in vibrations. Problem is solved from my end now though, it's been traded in on a new R1200R. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help, unfortunately I think it was just a "Friday afternoon or hangover Monday morning" bike.
Congrats and enjoy your new ride...