TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
AutoXer

From Nowhere Close to Texas ...

Hi everyone, I'm a greybeard Maryland rider of a Suzuki Bandit 1250SA who stumbled across your megathread on Bandits and had to join just because of the fantastic information you provided there. Hopefully I'll be able to be as helpful as so many of you have been.

AutoXer
AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
trkcpa

Re: From Nowhere Close to Texas ...

Welcome to the forum. I ride a Suzuki, but it is a Burgman. Kind of half a bandit. Enough trying to be cute. I failed miserably.

FYI, it is 1155 miles from Maryland to Texarkana. It is 924 miles from Texline, TX to South Padre Island. So, you are a pretty close neighbor.

Enjoy the forum. tom
trkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Daytrader
Forum Supporter

Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
poser

welcome!
does your SN come from doing auto-cross?
Back when I had my Subaru WRX wagon, I did a few auto-x runs. They were a lot of fun, but I found I like track days on the scoot better. More track time and you don't have to corner work

"If it was illegal, there'd be a sign telling us NOT to do it."

"I can't always tell if he [Jason] is joking, or if his judgment really is that bad." - my father-in-law

[empty stable , can I put my mountain bike or running shoes here? ]
poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
jhansen
Forum Supporter

Welcome! Maryland isn't that far. We got folks from all over the world! Now, for the required stuff....post a pic of your bike please.
AMA #289603 Life member
Patriot Guard Rider
Ride like your life depends on it...because it does
---------------------------------------------------
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
tshelfer

Welcome to the site. I used to go to Reston, Va. on business a lot. Can't say many good things about the Beltway (or what's inside it for that matter), but I did find a lot of nice backroads for torturing rent cars. Lots of good little roads in northern Fairfax County.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated
'72 Yamaha RT3 endure - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
nchristie

Welcome. Where in Maryland? My wife's family is originally from Cumberland (yes, hillbilly / moonshiners). She still has a relative in Laurel.

Man, I envy your geography!

I lived in Lynchburg VA for 5 years, then later on 6 years in Leesburg - I'd ride to West Virginia or western maryland for an early Sunday breakfast and could be home in time to go to church!

There is a group that has an annual ride you may be interested in - take a look at

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/WVA-Ride/

Depending on where you live, some of these guys may be close to you. The other guy who hosts the group - Bruce - is in Maryland, SILVER SPRING, I believe.

Stay safe - stay warm!

Neil
Moving to north-central North Carolina soon - gonna miss you guys.
---------------------
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
1975 Yamaha RD350 (sold)
98 Triumph Trophy 1200 (sold)
04 Triumph Speed Triple 955i (sold)
96 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
97 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (sold)
96 Yamaha XT350 (sold)
76 Honda CB750 w/836 kit, cam, etc (sold)
83 Suzuki GS450L (sold)
74 Yamaha DT125A (sold)
73 Yamaha LT3 100 (bought new and sold - yes I am old)

Last edited by nchristie; 12-30-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: remembered place name
nchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
AutoXer

Thanks all for the kind welcome!!

TRKCPA - I think Burgman's are very cool scoots, if my daily commute was in the city it's the scoot I would ride.

POSER - Yes indeed, the name stems from my autocross days (Fiat 124 Spyder and later Mazda Miata), been out of it a few years, but my daughter has just started driving and has expressed an interest in autocrossing, so it looks like I'll be getting back into it. Ah, the sacrifices one makes as a parent ...

TSHELFER - either Beltway (Baltimore or DC) is just awful, but hey, driving on them "builds character"!

NCHRISTIE - Gambrills/Severn/Millersville area, about halfway between Baltimore and Annapolis. Used to live in Laurel, in fact (different time, differnet wife ...). Geography is varied, but getting to good riding roads involves going about an hour and a half in any direction ... I tend to ride in Pennsylvania a lot because some nice roads can be found and the drivers are so much more polite than in Maryland. Thanks for the tip on that ride!

I'll work on posting a pic of the bike.

AutoXer
Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
AutoXer

Now, let's see if I can actually upload an image ... this is one of the few images I have of my Suzuki 1250SA Bandit. It was taken at the 2011 Maryland-DC Ride For Kids which my daughter and I rode in (19 years riding in this annual event, the last 8 with my daughter aboard). Mods are simple - heated grips, handguards from a Suzuki V-strom, and (not on the bike here) Givi bags. That's my "can you see me now, idiot?" jacket on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7488(2).JPG  
Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #10
tshelfer

For the uninitiated, the "Beltway" is Loop 495 around the D.C. area. Like LBJ Freeway here, but the driving is even worse because, sadly, politicians are allowed to have drivers licenses. And with more traffic than anybody can imagine on that road, there are places where it inexplicably narrows from 4 lanes down to three, leaving multi-mile lines of people trying to merge over. I built too much character and met too many characters trying to get from Reston to BWI in afternoon traffic. You, sir, are a better man than I if you'll drive it on a Bandit.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
Old 12-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
AutoXer

Tim -

Don't forget, we have the joy of TWO Beltways, the DC (one section of which, if I recall, was rated as one of the 10 most dangerous roads in the U.S. some years back) and the Baltimore Beltway. The DC is truly the worst - dangerous roads with mean, crazed drivers. The Baltimore Beltway is not quite as dangerous, mostly because it tends to become a "parking lot" of unmoving vehicles. Add rain, though, and the Baltimore drivers are every bit as capable of running into each other.

I'd like to claim the "better man" status, but when I began riding 20 years ago my wife asked one thing: that I never ride on either Beltway, a promise I have kept (except for a single "emergency" run on the Baltimore Beltway). Which of course FORCES me to take those miserably fun little backroads to get around them and go anywhere ... but a promise is a promise.

Jim
Old 12-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
tshelfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXer View Post
Tim -

... Which of course FORCES me to take those miserably fun little backroads to get around them and go anywhere ... but a promise is a promise.

Jim

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Welcome to the site!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote