• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MEXICO, PAVED. A Week of Riding Bliss

Reaction score
Mexico, Paved. A Week of Riding Bliss

WP_003210-XL.jpg

For almost six months, JT and I talked about it.

Six months of talking, six months of planning, gathering necessary paperwork (passport, insurance, vehicle papers, etc), six months of squirreling away extra pesos, six months of building excitement and anticipation.

And then, BOOM, the big trip is suddenly upon us and I am not ready! I should have ordered new brake pads, the ones on there are fine, but I should carry spares. The chain looks fine but maybe I should have replaced it.

It’s going to be hot. It’s going to be cold.

We are going to ride, yes, but we also plan other activities, some short hikes, some cave exploring, some rafting, some waterfall gazing. And there might be an evening or two that I’d rather not wear dirty riding pants, boots and have “hair by Helmut”. What to pack? How to pack it?

There’s dealing with co-workers who think me insane. There’s the anxiety of causing my mother anxiety….

I am sleepless a week before departure.

Stay tuned!

Yup, what they said. ^^
(and, Cleatus - here we are again, up in the middle of the night when the "kids" are safely in bed, like a certain speckled pup is.)

I'm in the early planing phases of a paved week in Baja next spring, so I'm in!!
Thanks for the people pictures.. it's always odd to read through pages and pages of RR and never see an image of who is taking the ride.
We'll need bike pictures, of course!
happay.gif

IMG_0838-X2.jpg

As requested, here are the bikes on the morning of departure, 10oct15.

JT's is the red DL1000 and my DL650.

We would sleep in Anahuac, MX that night. Anahuac appeared to me to be a bit depressed and gritty, but this was a lovely hotel. (Hotel Alas Blancas).

WP_003063-X2.jpg

WP_003065-X2.jpg

Just a bit of a teaser for tonight I'm afraid.

Thanks everyone for comments and for riding along. It is encouraging!

Different people have different needs and problems with motorcycle seats... mine has always been the bony butt syndrome. After riding awhile, my butt just hurts.

After some research, I bought an Airhawk2 medium cruiser pad for under $90- largely influenced by their 6 MONTH money back guarantee- if you don't like it, return it.

I totally love it, and have actually used it on cross-country car trips- once to Florida, and then to Seattle and return, as well as extensive riding from Seattle to Portland and around that area for a week.
Seat time due to discomfort becomes a non-issue, and since it's a strap-on, it's quickly and easily moved to other bikes. </END PSA>

20150820_175453_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Oct 11 on our way to Galeana, via Monterrey.

JT, ready to roll in the morning.
WP_003069-X2.jpg

City of Modern Sculpture

Monterrey surprised us with the number of outdoor art pieces we saw as we scooted in and around the city.

A traffic light stop afforded me a look a gorgeous fountain; a bearded Neptune, (au naturale, no less), triton raised high, in a chariot commanding racing seahorses. Unfortunately, no pic.

A little bit later, I was mesmerized by the glimpse of a statue of a horse with a native rider. It was made of rusted metal. The horse was powerful, the rider slumped forward in a pensive pose. Unfortunately, no pic.

Our goal for Monterrey was a large suspension bridge that has only one support. We found it. We rode across it and back again. Then left the city. Fortunately, here are pix.

WP_003075-M.jpg
WP_003076-M.jpg

Doesn't the support appear to lean?

WP_003078-X3.jpg

Oct 11 on our way to Galeana, via Monterrey.

Doesn't the support appear to lean?

In your shot, yes. I'm thinking the camera was not level. Here's the shot with the bridge support vertical. JT is probably on his sidestand, thus the lean of the bike would be normal. Look at the buildings in the background. They too are vertical whereas in the original they are leaning. And with your camera phone there's a tad bit of lens distortion going on at the edges as Gary referenced. So yeah, the support is leaning. :photo:

i-FHfjFDr-XL.jpg

NP! :)

Story telling will hafta wait til Monday evening at the earliest --camping and riding with JT in west tx this weekend.

Is this ride SAB +1 or JT +1 :shrug:.....................................:lol2:

Your question reminds me of an old song...It's never easy and it's never clear, who's to navigate and who's to steer...

i guess since it was JT's idea and he made the call to the park and he worked the routing....it was JT +1.

We stayed at Seminole Canyon SP. Today had planned to ride Pandale Rd to Juno but I wussed out. The road hadn't been graded since the last rain and I just didn't want to feel like I was beating Suzi up for 45+ miles. We took 163 instead.

PS, I keep telling JT I don't want to do dirt on Suzi and somehow we keep ending up on dirt roads...

Signed,
wimpy

:mrgreen: To me,the Shinko 804/805 tires made a huge difference on gravel for my strom . It might be all in my head but I feel much better with them. I`m still not crazy about riding the rough stuff with my strom though.

Back