TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Vendor's Forum

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #1
Ken Phenix

Custom Made Heated Gear

I have been making and wearing my heated gear eight years. I haven't had much luck getting other riders to DIY this stuff so I decided to begin producing selected heated items. I can add carbon fiber warmth to virtually any glove via a thin integrated liner that stays in place without disturbing the glove or its warranty. I can do a pair of gloves for $80.

I'll do this during the warmer months too when you don't need your winter gloves - so you'll be ready for next winter. Considering the quality of the heated gloves on the market - a better insulated winter glove makes a far better heated glove.

Here's my beloved ReV'it! Alaska gloves now with heat:

I've often wondered why nobody makes a Gore Tex heated motorcycle glove. Fixed that.

Here's a pair of Gore Tex Klim Togwotee gloves I did recently. They came with removable fleece liners that worked perfectly.

I have been searching for the best winter glove value and The Olympia Weather King #4102 might be it. It's all leather, well insulated, has Gore Tex and is quite comfortable. Olympia claims the Weather King is the warmest glove they've ever made.

< < AND THIS PAIR HAS H E A T ! ! > >

The stated is size XL but with the integrated liner it would pass for a Large. I am also impressed with the finger and thumb length. My only beef is the textile palm slider is a little cheesy. This is a whole lot of heated glove for $200 shipped and if you're not absolutely thrilled I'll gladly take them back. Just cover return shipping.

http://shop.olympiagloves.com/produc...ng-extra-touch

FIRST MESSAGE GETS THIS PAIR!
Paypal $200 to: kphenix600@gmail.com

If you're in the Houston or College Station areas I'll knock ten bucks off for shipping and deliver them and call it an excuse to take a bike trip.

https://www.facebook.com/Phenix-Flam...1738242984574/
IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR

Last edited by Ken Phenix; 12-22-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Ken Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
Countingcoup

Re: Custom Made Heated Gear

Im outside CS & would love to learn how to do heated diy !
You got that right
SOLO COBDR
10 Days in Mexico Oct 2015
Countingcoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Ken Phenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmux View Post
Im outside CS & would love to learn how to do heated diy !
Sure. Here's one of my DIY threads. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90528
I used 26ga nichrome for years but it was just too brittle. I recently switched to carbon fiber braid which is sooooo much more dependable. It's easier to work with too. Just tell me what you'd like to make and I'll walk you through it.
IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR
Old 02-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
Countingcoup

Nice,
Thanks. Let me read up on it for a bit. I'm assuming battery power ? Or wired to bike DC.
You got that right
SOLO COBDR
Old 02-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
Countingcoup

Can you send me a link on supplier for the controller, carbon fabric & how your powering the gear ?
Have you tried duplicolor vinyl & fabric coating to hold wires in place before covering?
You got that right
SOLO COBDR
Old 02-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
Countingcoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Sure. Here's one of my DIY threads. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90528
I used 26ga nichrome for years but it was just too brittle. I recently switched to carbon fiber braid which is sooooo much more dependable. It's easier to work with too. Just tell me what you'd like to make and I'll walk you through it.
Im thinking of gloves & mid section of a jacket. If I can get somewhat proficient at it I'll try the knees is a pr. of riding pants.
I sew deerskin & sheepsking gun socks & gear bags. I could use this skill.
You got that right
SOLO COBDR
Old 02-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Ken Phenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmux View Post
Im thinking of gloves & mid section of a jacket. If I can get somewhat proficient at it I'll try the knees is a pr. of riding pants.
I sew deerskin & sheepsking gun socks & gear bags. I could use this skill.
Sounds like you and I should get together and compare notes. I'll give you a shout next time I ride to Bryan. I'm always looking for more efficient ways to insulate and attach the carbon fiber. As you're probably already aware resistance specs on the carbon fiber are hard to come by - there's trial and error involved.
IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR
Old 02-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
wanabeguru

Quote:
Sounds like you and I should get together and compare notes. I'll give you a shout next time I ride to Bryan. I'm always looking for more efficient ways to insulate and attach the carbon fiber. As you're probably already aware resistance specs on the carbon fiber are hard to come by - there's trial and error involved.
So try this:
take a known length of the carbon fiber you use and connect an ammeter in SERIES with it. then connect it to the power source and note the amount of current flowing. Use the formula
resistance=voltage/amps
so, if 12 volts causes 2 amps to flow, then resistance=6 ohms
remember, the formula uses WHOLE numbers, if less than 1 amp flows the value changes.
Hope this helps
Old 02-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #9
BeemerlessBob
Forum Supporter

Ken, do you do jacket liners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #10
Countingcoup

Quote:
Sounds good. I'll send you my number. Would like to see some heated gear. I have some rider friends in Illinois who wear it regularly & they love it.
You got that right
SOLO COBDR
Old 02-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
Pacific Coaster

Would ya do heated boots if I supply them?
Pacific Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Heated gear is one of those things that it is easy to think you will never need and it is a silly luxury... until you try it! Once you try it, you will be amazed at how much more fun it is to ride when it is cold outside. If your hands are warm, it makes the whole riding experience so much more enjoyable, but also safer!! If you've ever ridden in really cold weather, you know how stiff the hands can get if you are not constantly moving the fingers and operating the clutch and brake lever. If you don't have heated grips, heated gloves are great! Heck, they're great even with the heated grips because the back of the hands can still get pretty cold with just the grips. As for the rest of the body, I find that simply wearing a heated vest (with heated collar) makes a huge difference in how my hands and feet feel. With the core warm, the body will let the blood flow to the extremities and you can really tell the difference. There have been a few times over the years where I thought having heated sleeves would be nice, but I was never uncomfortable during those times with just the vest.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #13
Ken Phenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerlessBob View Post
Ken, do you do jacket liners?
Yes Bob, I have done a few using the Freeze Out brand "gilet" from Cycle Gear. Its quality is surprising and the coated fleece is crazy warm. I wear the Freeze Out bottoms too. I can do heat in torso, arms and even collar plus power supply to gloves but it's pretty time consuming. I think the heated base layer format is superior but I can't at this point do it cheaper than what's on the market. I can do torso only pretty cheap. I can also add heat directly to your touring jacket's thermal liner. Just let me know what you have in mind. Is there A Cycle Gear close enough to you to go try one on?

https://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...cket/i-7R5fwTz
IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR
Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #14
Ken Phenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Coaster View Post
Would ya do heated boots if I supply them?
I can do insoles. If you get some insoles (not the gel type) and trim them to fit your boots and send them to me and I can add heat across the top of the toes.

This pair is older with nichrome and SAE plugs but they have worked well for 8 years. New ones would be carbon fiber with standard coaxial plugs.

IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR

Last edited by Ken Phenix; 02-06-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #15
Ken Phenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Heated gear is one of those things that it is easy to think you will never need and it is a silly luxury... until you try it! Once you try it, you will be amazed at how much more fun it is to ride when it is cold outside. If your hands are warm, it makes the whole riding experience so much more enjoyable, but also safer!! If you've ever ridden in really cold weather, you know how stiff the hands can get if you are not constantly moving the fingers and operating the clutch and brake lever. If you don't have heated grips, heated gloves are great! Heck, they're great even with the heated grips because the back of the hands can still get pretty cold with just the grips. As for the rest of the body, I find that simply wearing a heated vest (with heated collar) makes a huge difference in how my hands and feet feel. With the core warm, the body will let the blood flow to the extremities and you can really tell the difference. There have been a few times over the years where I thought having heated sleeves would be nice, but I was never uncomfortable during those times with just the vest.
Quite right Scott. I originally started building this stuff because I couldn't justify spending the money on heated gear that I would almost never use. Now I'd much rather ride in the 20's than the 90's - and I don't get cold.

And you're absolutely right that when the core gets cold the body actually restricts blood flow to the extremities thus exacerbating the problem of cold hands and feet. I have never needed heat on my legs and my current liner doesn't have heated arms. I turn on the gloves in the 40's, the jacket liner in the thirties and I don the insoles below freezing or if I'm maintaining highway speed for an extended period. Wind chill is exponential: the lower the temp, the higher the speed, the longer the duration, the greater the the effect.
IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR
Old 02-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #16
Ken Phenix

Quote:

I have been searching for the best winter glove value and The Olympia Weather King #4102 might be it. It's all leather, well insulated, has Gore Tex and is quite comfortable. Olympia claims the Weather King is the warmest glove they've ever made.

< < AND THIS PAIR HAS H E A T ! ! > >

The stated is size XL but with the integrated liner it would pass for a Large. I am also impressed with the finger and thumb length. My only beef is the textile palm slider is a little cheesy. This is a whole lot of heated glove for $180 shipped and if you're not absolutely thrilled I'll gladly take them back. I'll even cover return shipping.

http://shop.olympiagloves.com/produc...ng-extra-touch

FIRST MESSAGE GETS THIS PAIR!
Paypal $180 to: kphenix600@gmail.com

If you're in the Houston or College Station areas I'll knock ten bucks off for shipping and deliver them and call it an excuse to take a bike trip.
The Olympia's went up on ebay. Happy bidding!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222019036792...84.m1555.l2649
Or feel free to make me an offer. I know it's getting late in the season and I really want to get these out there for review. Remember, none of the major heated glove makers offers a Gore Tex motorcycle glove. And if you don't think thses gloves are warmer and more comfortable than what you've got I'll take them back no questions asked.
IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR
Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 AM   #17
Ken Phenix

I am happy to share my experience. I’ve given open source online DIY instruction and also produced custom turn-key heated gear for sale. I believe what some riders are looking for is something in between. So I’ve done the resistance calculation, sourced the materials, made the electrical connections and provided the standard 2.5mm jacks to interface with most heated gear on the market today. All you have to do is sew these completed carbon fiber loops into your gloves and plug them in. The kit sells for $50 which includes postage to the continental US and all the tech support you could stand. I'll even talk you through the installation process over the phone.
Here's a link to the online instructions so you'll have a better idea what you'll be getting into.
https://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...TED-GLOVE-KIT/

IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR

Last edited by Ken Phenix; 11-06-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #18
Ken Phenix

(SOLD) REVIT ALASKA GLOVES WITH HEAT!

Back in 2012 while on an east coast ride I visited Revzilla in Philly and tried on every winter glove in the store. And I bought the ReV'it! Alaska. I bought them a size up to accommodate my heated liners. The Alaska was and is an awesome glove, total goatskin, knuckle protection, poly palm slider, highly insulated and genuine Gore Tex. The Alaska has been discontinued BUT I just scored what might be the last new pair in captivity.

I'm installing my carbon fiber heat in them and they will go to the first taker. The price will be $175 plus $10 shipping. That's a ton of glove for south of two bills. The Alaska retailed for $189 without heat!
They will fit like a size Large. The ones I wear are the same size. I measure 9 1/4" around the palm just behind the knuckles and my index finger measures 2 7/8" and they fit me perfectly.

Here's the old Revzilla video on the Alaska.

They arrived yesterday and they still have that new leather smell. This much heated glove doesn't exist on the market at any price. If you're not totally thrilled with these gloves for any reason I'll gladly take them back and give you a refund - just cover return postage.

IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR

Last edited by Ken Phenix; 11-06-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #19
Ken Phenix

REVIT ALASKA GLOVES WITH HEAT SOLD!

The Alaska's are sold.

Just remember I can add heat to virtually any winter glove for $100.
IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR
Old 11-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #20
Ken Phenix

* * S O L D ! * * Alpinestars Gore Tex Heated Gloves $140

Here's my latest ebay find. These are new (discontinued) Alpinestars Gore Tex leather/textile winter touring gloves. They're supple, comfortable and roomy. They will fit on the high side of Large, maybe even XL. They have good finger length too. I just finished adding my carbon fiber heat to them and they're ready to ship. First come first serve.

Of course if you don't find these gloves warmer than Gyde/Gerbing or if you're not absolutely thrilled with the fit or anything else, I'll take them back and refund your money. Just cover return shipping.

[EDIT] Remember, I can add heat to virtually any pair of gloves for $100. [/EDIT]
IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR

Last edited by Ken Phenix; 11-13-2016 at 10:25 AM.