• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'm Torn! 500 EXC or 690 Enduro R or ???

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
I had the opportunity to purchase a '16 KTM 500 EXC 6 Days from a forum brother a month or two ago. It's an AWESOME bike and super sexy.

I plan (planned) to convert it to dual-sport duty to replace my '07 WR450F and '08XR650L. I really like the idea of a modern fuel injected bike. Well those two bikes are sold now and it's time to get serious about sorting out the EXC, which means spending a lot more money. But the problem is I'm growing more and more hesitant as to whether it's the right bike for the job. Or even if there is a 'right' bike for all the jobs.

I really want to do more of the rides like the one I did to Mexico however these require riding pretty long distances on the slab with hopefully the payoff of riding some class 1, 2 or 3 off pavement roads. But I also want to continue to ride single-track in Arkansas a few times a year. My XRL was good for the Mexico type trip and my WR was good for AR but I really wanted one bike. Tricepilot has told me the 500EXC is the snizzle of dual-sport bikes when equipped correctly. I highly respect his opinion but I just can't see were the EXC is going to be comfortable for 300 miles in a day. Especially considering I'm 56 and 240lbs. Then there's the service intervals and tiny oil capacity.

This brings me to the 690 Enduro R. Maybe this would fit me better.

Pros:
  • Longer Range
  • Bigger overall
  • Better highway performer
  • Better service intervals

Cons:
  • Heavier for single-track
  • Fuel Capacity and expense to increase it
  • Fuel filler under luggage
  • Reliability issues
  • Discontinued so resale may suck

I've considered other bikes such as the XRL, KLR, DR, etc. but maybe have overlooked something altogether. I'm open to all reasonable suggestions. I just don't want to sink $2+K on upgrades to the EXC to find out it doesn't fit the bill.

BTW, I've read all the threads I could find on the 690 vs 500 but am still completely unconvinced.

I'd love to hear the forum's feedback to see if it sways me one way or the other.

EXC's already a D/S bike, the XC-W is the one that isn't. 6-Days is a bit different but I'm not gonna bother to research the differences from a "regular" EXC.

I have both; you don't want to do more than abt a hunnerd miles on pavement on the 500 and unless you have really superb upper-body "strent" (HS Coach pronunciation, don'tchaknow) you don't want to wrestle a top-heavy 690 in tight stuff for long. IMO, of course, and in the interest of truthiness, my 690 (Thanks again, Big_A!) has a big Safari tank in addition to the OEM tank and both, if full, are right up top. I call it a 690T(anker). :lol2:

I have both; you don't want to do more than abt a hunnerd miles on pavement on the 500 and unless you have really superb upper-body "strent"

There's my BIG concern. I want to be able to ride to these remote sites and from what I can tell that's going to require 200-300 mile days. Even with the high-dollar renazco seat that came with the EXC I can't see being even semi-comfortable for any period of time.

With the 690 can't you only fill the stock tank if you're riding single track and only fill the Safari tank if you're traveling longer distances. Keep in mind I'm no rock-star single tracker, just an intermediate hacker.

If you are riding the stuff where you really need the 500 EXC, you won't be worrying about the seat because you'll be standing most of the time :-P

I have a 530 EXC. I've done 250-300 mile days on it with maybe 100 miles or so of pavement mixed in. It is doable. No, it is not as comfy as my 1200 GS.

If you think you are going to be riding single track trails, you will want the 500 over the 690 and the seat will be a non issue. The 500 is not a do it all bike by any stretch of the imagination. But it CAN do trails (I've done it on my 530). You CAN ride the 500 down into Mexico on a Mextrek ride and have a great time. The 690 might be more fun/comfy for that kind of trip though.

I gave up on the do it all bike and now have a 1200 GS and my 530 EXC. If I were going on a road trip, I'd take the 1200 for sure because I can take it on most two track stuff without too much trouble unless it gets really rough. Most often what we have done is trailer out to where we want to ride, set up a base for the week, then alternate days of riding the big bikes and small bikes. So we each take two bikes. Roger "Rsquared" has a 450 EXC, 690, and the big KTM Adventure. You should definitely ping him and get his opinion.

Unfortunately there's only solution, go ahead and bite the bullet and get both.
I got a DR650 thinking it would be good for all, but after a trip down to BBRSP and it did everything that was asked of it but got to be no fun wrestling around.
After the trip I decided that it was 100 lbs too heavy. Now its got a little brother, a KTM 500 XCW that is a blast to ride on technical stuff. You just can`t have one do it all. Hope I didn't confuse or scare you too much...:giveup:
Oh and by the way the DR now has a big brother, a Vstrom 1k for long trips..

Last edited:
Good subject as I and many others fight this demon of trying to find the right "single" bike, it ain't out there!

In last year I've had both bikes you are considering. Same results as you state. Personally I like the 500 better than 690 everywhere. The 690 just didn't fit me on the road, just physically. And it's a big bike on trails if you try to make time. My only worry with the 500 is service/oil capacity.

As of now, I don't have either and not sure what's next. Maybe your thread will help!

Out the gate you have the better bike..

compromising is the name
How much is your willing to fork over is not the issue I do know believe me. we`ve all been there guy!

have had XR650`s and KTM 500 and still own KTM 500
can afford to trailer it ANYWHERE if need be if time allows me too.

am 5`9 & 220 lb and well aware of compromise I will continue to respect the bike that makes me the happiest .

SORRY NOT much help in swaying YOU I guess in all honesty I've had more fun on the 2014 500 than all my other bikes put together if that is what matters most at the end of days ride.

(my lower back and neck not withstanding)

good luck with your new ride and congrads

When rereading my original post I'm not sure I was clear that I did actually purchase the 500EXC and it's sitting in my garage.

Also, I have a '13 Yamaha Super Tenere that is used primarily for 2-up riding and some class 1 & 2 unpaved roads. The way I have it set up is for touring and it doesn't do that well when things get really lumpy.

I think skill level has to come into this equation. There are guys here who could ride anything over anything and not bat an eye. Then there are also semi-pro level enduro riders who are good enough that people enjoy watching their videos. That's not me. I'm very competent and can keep a good pace whether on the trail or the street but I'm no 'expert' so there's no way I'm going to wring out the last drop of capability of the 500. At my age I don't think I even want to. :giveup:

Speaking of age, and size, some of you responding may be (probably are) younger or fitter or both than I. I'd like to know where you folks fall when you say that I can ride to 500 easily for 300 miles. That's great but not relevant it you're 27, 185 lbs and just finished your umpteenth triathlon. :lol2::clap:

So if I think about it, on average I'd say I'm going to ride single-track 3 long weekends a year and going to do 2 multi-day long-distance trips a year. And then putter around in between. Not exactly wearing anything out, I know. :-|

So right now I'm trying to decide to start spending some pretty good money on upgrades to the 500 and hope it works out because if it doesn't that'll be just a bunch of money gone. Or do I put it up for sale and consider a different horse.

BTW, are there any great forums for specifically the 500EXC and the 690? Advrider threads are HUGE!

Last edited:
I gave up on the do it all bike and now have a 1200 GS and my 530 EXC. If I were going on a road trip, I'd take the 1200 for sure because I can take it on most two track stuff without too much trouble unless it gets really rough. Most often what we have done is trailer out to where we want to ride, set up a base for the week, then alternate days of riding the big bikes and small bikes. So we each take two bikes. Roger "Rsquared" has a 450 EXC, 690, and the big KTM Adventure. You should definitely ping him and get his opinion.

Pretty much the same solution

The 500 EXC the way I modded it I wouldn't replace with any other bike

Long distance touring including mild off road, let's say San Antonio to southern Utah, the 1200GSA all the way

I'm trailering to the COBDR next month and I wouldn't choose any other bike on the planet than my very own 500 EXC with the dual sport mods already on it. Proven in the back country in Mexico, Big Bend, and the Texas Hill Country. Smiles for miles, easy to pick up, and no worries.

Bart, play the look around at all the options game if you want to, but you either get on with it and ride or you become one of these people who convince themselves they'll never be satisfied.

And you'll also be one of those who spend way more money buying bikes and lose money in depreciation than you would if you did a few smart mods and got out there and twisted a throttle

Most people would drool to have a fuel injected, powerful and light dual sport platform in their garage already like you do.

Get on with it.

Just buy the 690 and try it out and then sell the 500 . Then buy another bike and sell the 690. Then sooner or later you will figure out that there isn't one perfect bike and your 650L was really a great all around bike . [emoji12]

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Bart, play the look around at all the options game if you want to, but you either get on with it and ride or you become one of these people who convince themselves they'll never be satisfied.

And you'll also be one of those who spend way more money buying bikes and lose money in depreciation than you would if you did a few smart mods and got out there and twisted a throttle

Most people would drool to have a fuel injected, powerful and light dual sport platform in their garage already like you do.

Get on with it.

I do drool over that bike every time I'm in the garage. Shoot, it's sexiness is what got me where I am today. I really WANT it to be the one.

My BIGGEST concern, bar none, is whether I can be semi-comfortable on it doing a 300 mile ride in a day. Period. It came with a beautiful high-dollar Renazco seat and even that doesn't seem all that comfortable.

Just buy the 690 and try it out and then sell the 500 . Then buy another bike and sell the 690. Then sooner or later you will figure out that there isn't one perfect bike and your 650L was really a great all around bike . [emoji12]

You joke, but I really did have some serious sellers remorse when that 650L left. A pity Honda hasn't made ANY improvements on that bike over the last 20 or so years.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation. I recently sold my plated FI wr450f because it was sitting unused most of the time. There wasn't really a good use case for it. It was too heavy on really gnarly single track and not that great at ADV type stuff. For now, my xr650l is my combo dirt/ADV bike. It is decent at both but I would prefer it have FI. I also am staying away from the single track riding I used to enjoy but if I get back in to it, I will probably get one of the newer light 2 strokes (KTM, Yamaha) and plate. I say take a few trips on the 500, then decide. But ultimately, I bet you conclude you need the medium sized bike (690) too for week long trips such as Jalpan...

In order to give the 500 a real chance to prove itself as 'the one' I'm going to have to spend some decent bucks on it. If it doesn't fit me in the end that'll be money down the drain. I'm in a position that I can probably sell it now and not get too hurt on the deal.

One way or the other I'm going to pick a horse and start tricking it out for the long haul. I just want to make an informed decision on which horse suits me better before I begin.

I think I need to see if a dealer has a 690 I can ride.

I assume that the discontinuation of the the 690 will hurt its resale and limit aftermarket parts availability as well.

For me, the 450/500 EXC will do anything the 690 will do, but the 690 will not do anything the 450/500 EXC will do. But then again, that statement is based on extremely difficult single track thrown into the equation.

I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50, and I've done week long rides on my 450 EXC fully loaded with camping gear, averaging 200-300 miles a day and never thought I was on the wrong bike. I've also done the same on my 690R with no regrets.

The older I get and to compensate for lack of riding skills, the more important a motorcycle's weight (or lack of) becomes to me. I'm very blessed in that I have several motorcycles to choose from, based on the type of riding I'm planning. For me the 690 is just a blast to ride, but I won't take it on any extreme single track...

Roger

Reactions: my6
In order to give the 500 a real chance to prove itself as 'the one' I'm going to have to spend some decent bucks on it. If it doesn't fit me in the end that'll be money down the drain. I'm in a position that I can probably sell it now and not get too hurt on the deal.

One way or the other I'm going to pick a horse and start tricking it out for the long haul. I just want to make an informed decision on which horse suits me better before I begin.

I think I need to see if a dealer has a 690 I can ride.

I assume that the discontinuation of the the 690 will hurt its resale and limit aftermarket parts availability as well.

Yeah... Regarding the ktm 500. I had one.... well, 525. Different bike, but for this arguments sake, it's the same bike. It had an oversized tank, "comfy" seat, HO stator, a license plate, a rack, blah blah blah. Factory manual calls for 10hr oil change intervals. At the end of the first day of the HillCo400 I should've been changing my oil in the parking lot of the hotel..... REALLY???

You've got 510cc that ktm engineers have eeked almost every bit of power out of. It is a race bike. A race bike is not the most suitable for sustained highway speeds. It's not. Aggressive cam profiles, and high valve seat pressure say so. I'm not gonna take a drag car on a road trip because it's orange and "sexy".

You had a pretty good "do all" bike before, and IMHO, you sold it. The 690 is close to that, I guess.

Yeah, Honda hasn't upgraded the xrl in 20~ years.... why do they need to? It's fine the way it is. As far as the argument, "ohh well I like the reliability the fuel injected KTM offers"..... Yeah, tell that to one of the thousands of guys on an XRL with 40,000 miles, and all they've done is changed the oil every 2000 miles, and checked the valves "a couple of times". I bet you'll get a pretty blank look from them, before they inquire about where you got your last batch of Peyote. ;-)

Thrill-Billy and ThricePilot, you're the only guys I know that make me laugh while calling me a dumb-*** ;-)

That said, you both make very compelling arguments for and against the 500EXC. So between them I'm at a firm 'maybe' on using the 500EXC.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
When rereading my original post I'm not sure I was clear that I did actually purchase the 500EXC and it's sitting in my garage.

Also, I have a '13 Yamaha Super Tenere that is used primarily for 2-up riding and some class 1 & 2 unpaved roads. The way I have it set up is for touring and it doesn't do that well when thinks get really lumpy.

I think skill level has to come into this equation. There are guys here who could ride anything over anything and not bat an eye. Then there are also semi-pro level enduro riders who are good enough that people enjoy watching their videos. That's not me. I'm very competent and can keep a good pace whether on the trail or the street but I'm no 'expert' so there's no way I'm going to wring out the last drop of capability of the 500. At my age I don't think I even want to.

Speaking of age, and size, some of you responding may be (probably are) younger or fitter or both than I. I'd like to know where you folks fall when you say that I can ride to 500 easily for 300 miles. That's great but not relevant it you're 27, 185 lbs and just finished your umpteenth triathlon...

Only you can truly answer based on what only you know of your capabilities and level of risk. Actually you have a great combo already, Tenere for MX and 500EXC for AR. Just because your big bike is set up for touring now doesn't mean it has to stay that way. Only two trips south a year? Take off panniers, use your dual sport soft luggage and install some dirt tires. Instead of trailering and parking you ride straight down. I have seen nothing on those trips that is too technical for an average rider or better on a properly set up big bike. I wouldn't consider using another bike for even a nanosecond, especially due to my penchant for riding door to door with simplified logistics. If for whatever reason I would trailer down anyway then the Tenere would stay home and I would take the dual sport. I'm 56 years old average rider, 210 lbs geared up. Buy an annual insurance policy and you might even take more frequent trips south. My full coverage (comp/collision for $10K) MX annual policy was only $220.

_

Question on the 690. If you're using a Giant Loop bag do you have to remove it to fill up every time? Seems like it would go over the top of the fuel cap.

Thrill-Billy and ThricePilot, you're the only guys I know that make me laugh while calling me a dumb-*** ;-)

That said, you both make very compelling arguments for and against the 500EXC. So between I'm at a firm 'maybe' on using the 500EXC.

Thanks a lot.

One other thing that's the most important to be, GRIN factor, 690 or 650 won't do it like the 500!! I'm not going 40,000 miles in one ride.

copb8 there is a lot to think about, like Silverbullet says only you can make the choice. I have a 2006 525exc and really enjoy the bike it never fails to put a smile on my face. Will I have to rebuild it before a DR, XRL, or other bike? Sure, will it fall apart if I run it down the highway at 70mph? Apparently not. I will say I do not commute or ride for transportation, just for fun, so my mileage doesn't build quickly.

I am 44yrs old, average rider that grew up riding dirt bikes.

I have made my bike what I want/need in a bike. It served as my only bike until recently. I have outlined several times why I chose this bike, it is light weight, capable suspension, and wide ratio gearbox. I can ride trails with my kids and dual sport with my friends.

Mods:
Baja Designs Squadron light for night vision. This is the third light and the best so far.

Trail Tech 100watt stator and full DC setup.

HT racing oil cooler for added oil capacity.

Radiator fan.

Clarke 3.1 gallon tank 130 mile range.

Seat Concepts seat. Seats are a funny thing, You may not fit the Renazco that came on your bike. The Strom that I bought recently had a Sargent seat on it and it was not comfortable to me at all. I have talked to several who love that seat. I found the stock seat better and a Corbin the best.

Cush hub from a KTM LC4 enduro rear wheel.

Are any of these mods necessary? No but I feel better with them. I did most of these one at a time as money came available.

The service intervals in the manual are for race conditions. I only know a few that can and do ride at that level. I use good oil (let's not go there) and change it based on riding conditions not mileage. If I spend a weekend riding tight single track using the clutch a lot and temps are high, I change it. If I ride a couple hundred miles of mixed surface roads I will go 1500 miles or more before changing.

I have done a few 400+ mile days. Here is a ride report where some of us did the East Texas 450 in one day.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1065513&highlight=et450#post1065513

I rode along with two other TWT's guy for just over 800miles in 21hrs.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86308&highlight=joel

For my purpose the only bike I would trade for would be yours!

:tab I am almost 50 and about 185-190lbs depending on the time of day... :-P I am by no means in great shape. I never work out and have a desk job. I just don't eat a lot. I'll be honest. On the end of a long day of riding the 530, my butt starts to get tender. I move around a lot, hang off one side or the other, stand up, scoot way back on the seat, etc,... when I am doing that last bit of slab to get back to base at the end of the ride. During the ride though, I am usually fine. Like I said, much of the time I am not sitting anyway. So for me, having a nice set of wide foot pegs and comfortable boots is almost more important than having the perfect high dollar seat.

:tab It is not unusual for some DS rides to start and end with pavement, and to have a bit thrown in throughout the middle. My 530 will run 70-80mph even loaded down. So if I need to, I can blast down the freeway for an hour to get from the mountains back to the big city where the trailer is parked. I wouldn't say it is fun, but it is not horrible either. To me though, it is will worth it given how much fun the bike is when it is in its element. Like Tricepilot, I would not hesitate to take the 530 down to Mexico for a trip. Along with Rsquared, I camped off the bike for a week of riding in Wyoming and Montana, which included several long days and the occasional long stretch of pavement connecting the fun parts.

:tab I did not realize you also had a Tenere. That being the case, I would not be in a hurry to sell the 500 or grab a 690 even if you keep the 500. Riding skill is a big factor, especially on the bigger bikes. I've become a much better rider on the 1200 GS as a result of riding the 530. I would highly recommend doing one of the riding classes that focus on big bikes. Take a class from Brad "Ulybrad" or maybe Bill Dragoo's class. Both have gotten glowing reviews form TWT users. I think you will find that the Tenere and 500 will make a very nice pair.

Reactions: my6
Thanks for the very active response to my question.

I'm starting to lean towards keeping the 500 and fitting it out. I already own it and worse case is I hate it and dump it for a few $K loss. But at least I'll know for sure by then and won't have to scratch that itch anymore.

TricePilot gave me a good list of upgrades I'll start with. I'll skip the Rekluse for now but will definitely look into adding the HT oil cooler. I figure the more oil I can get into the thing the better.

I'd like some type of screen that can be easily attached and detached. Any suggestions there would be appreciated.

Where's the best site for getting to know the 500, how to maintain it, and what the best accessories are?

[

Get on with it.[/QUOTE]

I'm one of them!

TricePilot gave me a good list of upgrades I'll start with. I'll skip the Rekluse for now but will definitely look into adding the HT oil cooler. I figure the more oil I can get into the thing the better.

I'd like some type of screen that can be easily attached and detached. Any suggestions there would be appreciated.

Bart, I'd skip the HT oil cooler thing even if they made one to fit your bike. If you're not racing the bike just change the oil after every adventure trip and move on to other tasks.

Skip the screen as well, I'll save that for a phone conversation.

Here's my recommended priority list:

(1) Acerbis after market tank. You're making a dual sport adventure bike and you'll need the range but remember there's no law that says you have to fill the tank all the way if you don't need to - save weight.

(2) Scott Damper. A real life saver in the deep sand and actually makes sand riding a blast. Also great for river crossings. Set the damper right and keep your eyes focused on the far shore and not the water in front of you. The damper will take the ricochet away from the hidden bolder.

(3) Pro Moto billet rack. A must to attach your Giant Loop or similar soft luggage.

(4) Garmin Montana or similar GPS

Down the road consider the Rekluse and the Seat Concepts and other mods. Those first four will let you go rip and have fun!

PS - here's a photo from the twtex.com photo rotation:

i-VQP67nv-L.jpg

Stephen Cover wrote the book "7 Habits of Highly Effective People". Habit #2 is "Begin With The End In Mind"

Visualize that that's you and your bike in that photo.

Quit staring at that new bike parked in the garage, or chasing other's views of better bikes on the internet.

You have the king of dual sports in your hands. Go make experiences.

trice is wrong. The 690r is a way better dual sport bike , don't kid yourself

Back