• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bridges of Clear Creek

tx246

Reaction score
work has been sucky and the temperature unbearable. i have been residing at the lake windsurfing as the wind has been very good lately. each time i load up the windsurf equipment, i have to walk by by my bikes. im sure i heard them say "Ride Me Now". ok, so i have neglected the dirtbikes. havent been on one since the moab ride in may. the idea of riding d/s is sounding like a great change of pace for the upcoming weekend.

i live in denton(north central texas), and was looking for something close and interesting for a day run. it didnt take long. there is a watershed that runs north west from denton that holds a body of water that i spend lots of time on in the spring. its called clear creek. everybody knows that roads around water usually have lots of elevation changes and lots of curves. i planned a route using the garmin topo and state/county road maps. the route would wind back and forth across the creek in order to go over every bridge.

route in hand and a fresh camelbak on my shoulders i was ready. i left saturday morning on my xt600. it didnt take long to find the first object of exploration. it is a promising looking railway maintence road that is no longer used. i poked in about a 1/2mile before coming back to the route. ill have to check that out later. the first 10 miles or so are rough blacktop with lots of 90 degree bends in it. think supermoto! these roads are fun if you like to lean it over. i soon hit dirt and wind my way northeast. the terrain is great as there are lots of hills and valleys. some of the roads run through what was the famous chisum trail used to drive cattle from texas to kansas city. big huge grass fields with nary a tree. i pass lots of new drilling rigs too. lots to look at for sure. i came to a particular county road that i was hoping would be in use as it sure looked like it passed through some great stuff. the road was all that the map promised until i came to a locked gate. i marked the gate on my gps and turned around. i had to make adjustments to the route and wound my way to some blacktop. i headed into saint jo for some fuel and lunch.

after lunch at the dairy queen (which was hopping), i headed north towards the red river. soon the county roads had me at the feet of my regular stomping grounds known as The Red River Motorcycle Park aka muenster. i gave them a wave as i passed by. by now, the route was taking me south. i found myself at another locked gate due to an oil lease and had to backtrack. turns out the new road was pretty darn good. the country side is still hilly but it is getting more open and the miles are racking up. soon i find myself coming back to civilization and eventually end up in the driveway with 232miles recorded.

all in all a great day to be out on a motorcycle.

Gene....Sounds like you had a fun day.....Just remember though.....Even a bad day riding is still better than a good day at work!!!!

Loving the Moab video by the way!!!!

Steve

Gene, how is that clutch lever doing, I bet that bikes runs alot better with that Honda part on it .......!!!!!!!!!!

I live in denton my name is Griffin would like to meet other area dual sport riders .

griffin515 said:
I live in denton my name is Griffin would like to meet other area dual sport riders .

Hello, welcome aboard. Not from your neck of the woods, but shortly some local folks will chime in!

sorry denton couldn't figure out how to reply to private message (I'm techno crippled)I live on the south side I ride a dyna & a klr 650 i'm better on the street but am interested in more dual stuff .I coffee up at Jupiter house on the square every a.m. at around 7 ask for Jim

griffin515 said:
Oh buy the way I'm an old fart!!!!

Now Jim......It's socially and politically innaproriate to refer to one's self that way, plus, it hits too close to home for too many of us!!!!

One thing's for sure, "The older we get, the faster we were"

Steve

Back