• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SE TX TARA Ride Report

Reaction score
South East Texas TARA Ride Report

A total of 18 riders showed up at Bucee’s in Waller TX for the first South East Texas Adventure Riders Association Ride. After a meet/greet and a brief riders meeting we set out around 8am. The morning was foggy and cool but the fog eventually burned off and made way for some good riding.

3 groups were formed from adventure bike riders, dualsport riders and some fresh faces to dualsport riding. With groups made, we were soon heading down the road from Bucee’s. This section was challenging because of the early morning fog but onward we pushed! Finally got to dirt roads and caught up with the adventure bike riders who were airing down tires for better traction. This early part of the ride should have been one of the more scenic but because of the fog, the bluebonnets were not in full view.

We motored on to the first stop which was planned at SHNF East Side Multiuse Trailhead. There we took a short break and talked a bit. There were other riders at the trailhead getting ready to ride the trails. Some of the bikes were well suited for the trails and eye candy for the rest of us. The riders in this group suited back up and off we went!

The forest roads proved to be a lot of fun. The roads were well used, a little dusty, but fun never the less. Dogwood trees were in full bloom, some azaleas in the far-off distance were trying to poke through the forest floor. About 2 months ago there was a controlled burn that cleared out most of the underbrush, but the forest has ways to recover by letting young ferns grow from the ashes. These ferns were everywhere and made the forest floor look green and fresh!

We pushed on through SHNF sharing the roads with an army of bicyclists. These folks were a hearty bunch, as they were riding bikes on the forest service roads with their small skinny tires! Watching some of them, smiling and heads shaking from no suspension, you could tell they were having a blast; but so were we, maybe too much! While sharing the road with the bicyclists we came to our next turn which some of our bicycle counterparts were not riding on. This road turned out to be a disaster!

As we turned onto FS209 from FM1791 there was an off camber left turn, meaning down and away, with some loose gravel. Approximately the third rider back went down after his front tire washed out. From my point of view all I could see was a big cloud of dust! The fourth rider back was in the process of getting the bike off the downed rider as the rest of us were getting there. By the time we were getting our helmets off, I heard one of the other riders calling 911 and I knew we had a serious problem; sure enough a broken leg!! We made the rider as comfortable as possible until the ambulance came. The injured rider was in good spirits and apologizing for ruining everyone else’s day! We told him not to worry that all would be ok.

The ambulance came along with the fire department and 10 tow trucks. DPS showed up to get reports from us and any other information they needed. I am not certain who had the AAA service but that was a nice piece of work getting in contact with them and coordinating the pickup of the bike. The rider was secured and loaded into the ambulance then off to the hospital still apologizing for messing up everyone’s day! This guy is one tough dude and no one will take his man card away!! The adventure bike rider group showed up and stopped to ask what had happened. We told them and that everything was under control. Although concerned with their fellow rider, they to elected to push on.

After all the emergency responders left we were pondering on what to do next. MOTEX and his family came well prepared and graciously said they would stay with the bike until AAA showed up. As group leader that was a hard decision to make! MOTEX and his family insisted that we carry on and they would be ok finding their way back to Bucee’s. With some reservations, I made the decision to motor on with the other 2 riders remaining, that made three of us left to complete the ride.

Myself and the two others, LeloTx and F350, pushed on and made good time by passing the first fuel stop. We all three had over sized tanks and did not need fuel at this point of the ride. North of Hwy 30 are a bunch of dirt roads that are fun to ride plus a lot of beautiful scenery around. Fields of bluebonnets, pastures and cattle plus old farms completed the scene. We soon made our way to Scales Ranch Road, which in the past has been very sandy. This particular day it was not bad, but you could tell the adventure bikes had come through before us and were using their traction control very effectively! Roosting our way through the sand and onto the straight portion of Scales Ranch Road we made it to Bedias TX for a lunch break and gas. We successfully made it to the little café in Bedias before they closed at 2:00. It was well worth the effort, because the burger and fries were excellent! The “Pit Stop Café” is a good place to eat and the owners are good people! During lunch, we caught up with the other 2 groups and chatted mainly about the injured rider. Tourmeister and Woodsguy joined up earlier in the ride and we had a chance to meet them.

After lunch and gassing up we three amigos’ (jdsmetx, LeloTX and F350) headed out for the second half of the ride. We all three felt like we could take a siesta after lunch but decided to push on. South and a little west of Bedias were more dirt roads that were loads of fun. Earlier in the week the road graders had come through to smooth out the roads which made the corners fun to ride through. Pitching it sideways and sliding the corners is a thrill for me and I enjoyed it very much. A quick stop to check on everyone and to change batteries in the GPS we moved on and made it back to Hwy 30 near College Station.

Gibbons Creek Lignite Mine area has long since been dug up and the land reclaimed to land owners but some of the mining roads are still there. For me personally this is one of the enjoyable parts of the route. It is a nice long straight road where one can open the throttle all the way! This area is an open prairie area not common for East Texas and is a sight to see. After the long road section, you come into more twisty sections and old oil fields. These oil fields still have equipment on them from the past and some are still being used but most have been abandoned. Off in the distance there were signs of oil field activity, drilling/work over rigs reviving old fields! Let’s hope so!

Still seeing signs of our adventure bike group flexing their muscle on the roads we soon came upon them stopped in the road. Turns out one of them had slid in a corner and went down. Luckily, no one was hurt and repairs to a bent gear shifter was the only casualty. After talking with them and making sure all was ok, my group, the Three Amigo’s continued getting closer to Navasota. It was getting later in the day and all of us were starting to wear down. We stopped at a convenience store in Navasota where I got gas and soft drink. My two compadres headed in to cool down and to take a break. We also met up with the first group and chatted with them for a while. Soon after the adventure bike group showed up and we chatted with them too. Here many riders decided it was time to head home. A few of us banded together and decided to complete the rest of the ride but modify the route a little while heading back to Bucee’s in Waller TX.

With our newly formed group we headed out making the last leg of our ride a smooth and relaxing one, so we thought! Headed east on Hwy 105 from Navasota, we turned down the last little section of back roads. This section was going over railroads and riding through an area with fields and pastures filled with horses and beautiful homes. There are also dogs that like to run and chase you through this area too! I was in the second position and LeloTx was behind me. William Wolfen was in front and F350 bringing up the rear. Everyone saw the dogs and slowed down to make sure they were not going to dart out and chase us. All seemed to be going well and as we passed, out of the blue a big black dog, which I believe to be a pit bull, came from my left heading right for me! All I could think was down shift to a lower gear, slip the clutch a little and grab a hand full of throttle. Keeping that dog away from my front tire was my only hope. I felt the engine rev’s come up, the front tire come off the ground and suddenly felt a big “thud” at the rear of the bike! Out of the corner of my eye I saw the dog under the front of my rear tire, hitting my swingarm and my left leg swinging back. I managed to save it but in an instant I saw the dog spinning down the road, all four legs sprawled out and belly dragging the ground probably thinking “what did I just hit?” Well…. You sir, my friendly neighborhood dog, just ran into a Suzuki DR650 known as “Donkey” and he just kicked you in the head!! I stopped to check my bike, and myself, thanking God nothing was broken on either of us! All four us of laughed it off but in the back of our minds we knew this could have ended badly! After cleaning out my britches and catching my breath we motored on to Bucee’s. F350 peeled off at FM1488 to head home, we wished him safe travels and thanked him for the ride! The rest of us made it to Bucee’s, shook hands, and talked a little about the day’s events.

To conclude, I had a very enjoyable ride and I hope everyone else did as well. Except for the injured rider, whom we wish a speedy recovery, I look forward to riding with you all and coordinating more rides in the future.
Joe Siddens (jdsmetx)

Wow , that's a lot of writing [emoji106]

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

:tab Daniel and I had a great time after joining the first group at the turn off for Stubblefield Lake Rd., There were a LOT of bicycle riders out and about, even on the dirt roads around this area. Once we crossed 1791 and got on the road that leads out to Outlaw Trax, we didn't see anymore on dirt, only pavement.

:tab Our group was mostly incident free. There was that somewhat long stretch of DEEP fresh gravel once we got North of Hwy 30!! That was fun! A few riders on more street biased tires were having "fun" with that as well but managed nicely! As we neared the spot where Hopewell Rd., turns North toward FM 1696, I heard a nasty WHACK sound and started getting bad vibrations from the rear of my 1200 GS. It felt like the rear tire had let go (a brand new Shinko 805). I was able to stop without issue and the guys in front quickly backtracked to find us. The rear mudguard on the GS took a hard hit from a rock or something and it ripped it apart where it mounted to the final drive housing. One mount was still attached enough to make the guard swing back into the rear tire where it proceeded to get chewed up and melted. There were little bits of stringy melted plastic all over the swing arm, luggage brackets, and the underside of the fender! I pulled off the remaining bits of the guard and tossed them in the rear top case for later disposal and we were soon back on our way.

:tab We lost three riders at the intersection of Davis and Hopewell just up the road a bit. They had to bail early and get on back down South. I think they were Spencer, Jeff and Jason? First time to meet any of them. They were nice guys. Hope to see them on future rides.

:tab Moments after waving goodbye to them, we spotted a helicopter parked in the weeds on the side of the road in a power line easement through the woods. It's not a place you normally see a helicopter and I thought perhaps he had encountered trouble and made an unplanned landing. As we got closer, I realized it was a crop spraying helicopter with the big arms on the sides and the tank underneath. I didn't see any obvious external problems or anyone looking like they were in distress, so we kept riding. Moments later we passed a big truck with some large tanks, perhaps going to reload the spraying tank on the helicopter :shrug:

:tab As mentioned, Scales Ranch Rd., only had a bit of sand right where it meets FM 1696. The long straight section after those first few sandy corners has had a lot of gravel laid down in the last few years. It used to be one of my favorite places to play in the sand, but not anymore. I do still like the run back down to Hopewell Rd., though. It has lots of fun corners.

:tab In all my years of riding out there (since 2004 I think), I have never once stopped at the Pit Stop Cafe in Bedias. This was not intentional. I just never seemed to be there when they were open :shrug: I had the BLT. It was pretty good. Daniel had a grilled cheese with exploding ketchup! In his youthful exuberance to get the ketchup on his plate as fast as possible, he manage to blow the top of the squeeze bottle, sending ketchup flying everywhere. He of course thought it hilarious... :roll: Fortunately, there was a fresh roll of paper towels on the table ;-)

:tab The post lunch run down to Navasota was fun. Daniel did start getting a little sleepy and I could hear him yawning over our communicators. I had to slide the back a few times to get his adrenaline pumping so he'd stay away :lol2: He enjoys the riding, but really would rather be the one driving... I look forward to him being able to ride his own bikes with me on these kinds of rides. We decided to stop in Navasota for some water and an ice cream sandwich. While stopped, the other groups of riders caught up with us. I'm thinking their post lunch pace picked up a bit and perhaps ours may have slowed a bit ;-)

:tab Rob and I parted with the group after Navasota. A mile or so outside of Navasota on Hwy 105, we turned North on CR 412 and ran that back up toward Anderson to pick up the morning part of the route that took us back over to FM 1374. Unfortunately, as we were heading through the SHNF we encountered a group of trail riders a ways before FM 1374 and they had an injured kid. No idea what happened and we didn't get any names. They had a truck and trailer arrive moments after we stopped, so we left them to handle it. Hopefully, it was not too serious and he will be okay!

:tab Rob peeled off and headed South at 1374 while Daniel and I zipped back up 1374 into Huntsville. We clocked right around 260 miles for the day, one of Daniel's longer rides to date. I'm trying to build him up to being able to do 300-350 miles/day so I can take him on some more serious trips to places like Colorado, Utah, North Carolina, etc,...

:tab I look forward to the next ride. Hopefully I will be able to attend and meet more folks in person.

POSTSCRIPT:

:tab More helicopter trivia. While heading home on 1374, I spotted two helicopters flying low in formation near the Army Reserve center on the edge of town. At first, I just thought they were the Nat Guard choppers we see flying around here all the time. Upon closer examination, I realized they were some kind of Russian Hind helicopters! They looked similar to this,

d5114582764375aa393f7a69010c3d%2Fmi-24-hind-russian-military-helicopter-flying-in-the-sky-b37t2d.jpg

I've never seen them around here before :shrug:

:tab A few minutes later, closer to home, we spotted one of these flying low over town... (but blue and maybe slightly newer version)

serveimage

It makes me wonder if there might have been some kind of event going on nearby... :ponder:

Joe, thanks for putting together a great loop. I had a lot of fun, and enjoyed the group of guys that rode in our group. Hope to hook up on some more rides. Hope the guy that broke his leg is doing well, I do not like to see anyone have a bad day while riding. It was nice to meet some new faces as well as an old friend, Tim aka F350. We worked together back in the 70's. :sun:

Scott, if I had to guess, I'd say I know the big blue one. Its similar to the one pictured but with turbine engines and is used as an aerial crane. We used to have it come in to the airport I worked at from time to time. IIRC the tail number was N4XY. Looked like it said "NAVY" on the tail from a distance!

On a different note, I'm glad we came away from that dog unscathed. It looked to me like there were 2 close calls in the rear view. Certainly turned my mind back to October and my dog incident! Glad everyone made it out ok from that.

If anyone has any news on the guy who broke his leg, I'd certainly like to hear it. Any idea who exactly he was?

Wow , that's a lot of writing [emoji106]

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

That's what my wife said!...lol! A bit wordy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was me and I just went through the first of a couple of surgeries to repair the break. I'd like to say thanks to all those who helped me. We have a great bunch of folks on TWTex. I really appreciate all the prayers and support I've received from everyone I've got a long recovery ahead of me. Hopefully I'll be able to make future rides around the fall. I'll keep ya'll updated on my progress.

Missed a couple of dogs myself. Made some new friends and found once again that it truly is a small world, it seems Hambone334 knows old racing buddys of mine from way back in the 70's. I had a great time and am looking forward to our next run...:rider:

That was me and I just went through the first of a couple of surgeries to repair the break. I'd like to say thanks to all those who helped me. We have a great bunch of folks on TWTex. I really appreciate all the prayers and support I've received from everyone I've got a long recovery ahead of me. Hopefully I'll be able to make future rides around the fall. I'll keep ya'll updated on my progress.

Goodness! What did you break? Let us know if we can help out in some way!

Wow, that was quick if you've already had the surgeries!

Was it actually a break in the leg bones or in the ankles? I would think a break in the leg bones would not be as bad as actually in the ankle itself. When I broke my ankle, I was not allowed to put ANY weight on it for 10 weeks and it was in a cast that whole time. It took about a year for the joint to get back to some semblance of "normal" in terms of being able to count on it being stable on uneven ground.

Regardless, I hope it heals quickly and correctly for you! Tough time of year to not be riding. I at least broke my ankle at the beginning of October.

Great to hear BornAgain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom had a maisonneuve fracture a year ago January. Ankle still isn't 100%, but its usable. Now we're dealing with her shoulder that was hurt in the same fall. So much ankle stuff and painkillers the shoulder went unnoticed until last May, and then the doctor was slow to react due to the upcoming second ankle surgery. So now we're looking at a shoulder surgery for her early next month.

I hope you don't have anything like that. It's been a nightmare.

This was my first group ride and I truly enjoyed it as well as meeting some new faces. Been riding many years,mostly alone, that will have to change! Gave the xr a pretty good work out. Get well soon Paul. Thanks everyone for sharing you day with me. Tim

I broke both bones just above the ankle and the large one again about 6 inches below the knee Doctor called it a twisting fracture yeah recovery's going to take a while

I broke both bones just above the ankle and the large one again about 6 inches below the knee Doctor called it a twisting fracture yeah recovery's going to take a while

That sounds painful just hearing about it. I wish you a quick and pain-free recovery. And BTW, it was good meeting you.

John

:tab Wow... sorry to hear that... :-|

:tab I heartily recommend the twisted metal handled fly swatters for rubbing inside the cast without any danger of scraping your skin raw. If you try to lever them to hard against the end of the cast to scrape harder, they will just bend. Also, the rounded metal is less likely to catch on any stitches if you accidentally get to close to the surgery wounds. When the hair starts to grow back on your leg and the swelling goes down enough for the cast to wiggle, the lining will catch on the new hair stubble and DRIVE YOU INSANE! Trust me, just go ahead and buy 3-4 of them now :zen:

:tab Is the cast over the knee and onto the thigh as well as around the ankle and onto the foot? IF so, you have my pity... That stretch between the knee and ankle will be unreachable :eek2:

:tab When you go in for check ups, if they remove the cast to do X-rays, BEG the nurse to wipe the area enclosed by the cast with wet wipes. If you smoke, you might want a cig afterward :-P

Tourmeister thanks for the equipment reviews :rofl: Yesterday's surgery was to install an external fixator. I'll have another surgery around the first of April I think I'll take the Doctor some flyswatter handles for the cast measurements. Thanks for all the comments folks it's really helping me keep my spirits up. :rider:

Don't mention the fly swatters to the Docs!!! :nono: It will make their heads explode! :lol2:

Then the male nurse might...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I got out today for some riding on my KTM 530 EXC and managed to get to Iola to visit the BBQ place. Storms were rolling in from the West pretty fast so I didn't have time for a real sit down and chow. I sucked down a chopped beef sandwich and hauled back East to Huntsville. Roads had been rained on slightly, traction was awesome. The BBQ place is nice and the sandwich was great. I may make it a point to get over there more often when I am out. They close at 2:00pm on Saturdays.

Back