• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Texas Adventure Ride: Cancelled due to weather

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
5/2/2018 update: Due to bad weather, this event has been cancelled

P4220100-L.jpg

The Texas Adventure Ride is a 4 day, dual sport adventure ride and rally occurring in Junction, TX and offers an opportunity to enjoy the great dual sport riding in the Texas hill country. All riders are invited to attend.

Lodging – You will be staying in Junction, TX for three nights (Thursday - Friday - Saturday nights). Each rider must make their own lodging accommodations.

Ride headquarters is the Best Western hotel, right off Main Street in Junction. A hot breakfast buffet is included with the cost of your room.

Rally HQ - Best Western Hotel
244 Dos Rios Drive
Junction, TX 76849
325-446-3700
Price $77 for a single or a double. Breakfast is included.

Alternate hotel - Rodeway Inn
2343 N. Main Street
Junction, TX 76849
325-446-4588
Price $52 for a single or a double. Breakfast is included.

In the event that the Best Western gets sold out, there is a Roadway Inn right next door and a hot breakfast is included. There are also a number of other motel options in town.

I have reserved a block of rooms for the rally. You must call the hotel in order to reserve a room. You can not make an online reservation (the online reservation system doesn't work with blocked rooms). When calling either hotel to make your reservation, tell them you are with me (Richard Gibbens) and the Texas Adventure Ride to get the above rates. They have blocked rooms for us, so you have to tell the staff you are attending the event or they won't allow you to book one of the blocked rooms.

Make your reservations now. May is a busy month in the hill country and the properties in Junction often sell out. Even if you aren't sure if you will be able to attend make your reservation now - you can always cancel it if needed.

P4220056-L.jpg

Ride Organization- Each day riders select where they want to ride that day. We have taken the liberty of providing recommended routes for both Friday and Saturday - routes that we believe include the finest dual sport and paved roads in the hill country - but riders are free to choose to ride wherever they want.

Riders meeting: We will be hosting a riders safety meeting Friday and Saturday morning, 8 am, in the parking lot of the Best Western hotel. If you want to ride with other riders, the riders meeting is your opportunity to find a group to ride with. We will facilitate group formation for those who don't have a group to ride with.

Daily Schedule:
Thursday
6 – 8 pm : Arrive, rider check in, Best Western hotel lobby
6 - 8 pm : Social gathering, Best Western breakfast room and lobby

Friday
6:00 – 8:00 a.m., breakfast buffet for those staying in the Best Western
8:00 – 8:30 a.m., Riders Meeting, Best Western parking lot
8:30 – 6:00 p.m., Ride
6:00 - 7:30 p.m., dinner on your own
8:00 – 10 p.m., informal rider social, Best Western parking lot

Saturday
6:00 – 8:00 a.m., breakfast buffet, Best Western Hotel
8:00 – 8:30 a.m., Riders Meeting, Best Western parking lot
8:30 – 6:00 p.m., Ride
6:00 - 7:30 p.m., catered dinner (location to be announced)
8:00 – 10 p.m., informal rider social, Best Western parking lot

Sunday: End of event

Pre-Planned Routes: We provide suggested routes for both Friday and Saturday. These routes consist of both pavement and dirt, but the emphasis is riding as much dirt as possible. Each day's route is about 250 miles long and will take most or all of the day to complete. There are gas stations along both routes but your motorcycle should have at least a 120 mile range to avoid running out of gas between stops. Both routes pass through several towns, allowing the opportunity to buy snacks and lunch during the ride. The pre-planned routes will be emailed to all registered riders in .gpx format for use with a GPS . Each rider should bring his/her own map and a GPS.

MAPS- No paper maps are provided for this event. Due to the extensive amount of area covered in the recommended routes, there is no single paper map that covers all the recommended roads. The best paper map that we know of is the Roads of Texas Atlas, published by Mapsco. The Road of Texas atlas contains every road in the pre-planned routes and is a much better paper map source than any others that we are aware of. We strongly urge you to purchase copy of The Roads of Texas atlas (even if you have a GPS.) It is available on-line and at most major bookstores or online.

(Note – don’t confuse the Roads of Texas Atlas by Mapsco with other atlases. The Mapsco atlas is the best atlas we have been able to find. By the way, we have no affiliation with Mapsco, we just think their atlas is the best map source for this event.)

We recommend studying the routes before hand and then bringing the appropriate pages from the Roads of Texas Atlas with you as a backup/reference.

GPS – The pre-planned routes will be emailed to all registered riders in .gpx format for use with a GPS . Each rider should bring his/her own map and a GPS.

Bike Type – Any dual sport or adventure type bike should be suitable for this event. Only public roads are include in the pre-planned routes; there is no public off-road riding in the hill country. While there are no off-road areas, the dual sport roads in the area range from well maintained gravel to un-maintained, rutted dirt. Any dual sport / adventure bike is likely capable of navigating the routes but rider skill is another matter. Riders should use their best judgment as to whether a particular section of road is suitable for their individual riding skills.

Finally, there are a lot of fun, paved roads in the hill country so that road bikes and/or cruisers have lots of riding opportunities. However the pre-planned routes contain lots of dirt roads and are not likely a good choice for road bikes or cruisers.

Who is in charge? John Thompson (aka JT) and I (Richard Gibbens) are jointly hosting this year's event. John will be running the event in Junction.

Included with your registration are rally attendance, pre-planned routes Friday and Saturday, commemorative rally swag, and the group catered meal on Saturday evening.

Registration ends Wednesday, April 18th, 5 pm so that I have sufficient time to order the commemorative items.

You can still register after April 18th but won't be guaranteed to receive the commemorative item.

How to register:
Paypal: You can register and pay using paypal. Send payment to me at rgibbens@austin.rr.com.
Please include a note letting me know your full name and what you are registering for (I run multiple events every year so letting me know why you sent me $50 helps me keep things straight). I will email registration confirmation to you once your paypal payment has been received. If you don't receive an email confirming your registration then please contact me so we can resolve the issue.

Mail: You can register by sending $50 check, money order, or cash to me at
Richard Gibbens
12609 Red Bud Trail
Buda, TX 78610

Please include a note letting me know your full name and that you are registering for the Texas Adventure Ride. If you include your email address (and I can read your handwriting) I will email a registration confirmation to you. If you don't receive an email confirmation from me, please contact me so we can resolve the issue.

Refunds: If you register and then discover you can't attend, we will gladly refund 100% of your registration fee until Wednesday, April 18th. After that, refunds will be pro-rated.

Want to help out? We always need help organizing these events. If you are willing to help, please contact us.

P4220124-L.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Texas Adventure Ride: May 3-6, 2018

Can you tell me what the meet and greet consists of the first Thursday of every month. How many people show. Would be coming from out of town so I would not want it to be a wasted trip. Hopefully be some fellow riders who can give me the heads up on upcoming rides and equipment I may need.

Can you tell me what the meet and greet consists of the first Thursday of every month. How many people show. Would be coming from out of town so I would not want it to be a wasted trip. Hopefully be some fellow riders who can give me the heads up on upcoming rides and equipment I may need.

Lost Coz, I sent you a private message on this forum. Your question is posted in the wrong thread.

Last year JT and I (& at least a couple of others) camped at North Llano River RV Park.

http://www.junctionnorthllanoriverrvpark.com/home.html

The restrooms were clean and comfortable. There was electricity at our site and water (with a sink) was nearby. The office lady was nice after she figured out we weren't wild rampaging bikers, bent on destroying their property.

Last year JT and I (& at least a couple of others) camped at North Llano River RV Park.

The restrooms were clean and comfortable. There was electricity at our site and water (with a sink) was nearby. The office lady was nice after she figured out we weren't wild rampaging bikers, bent on destroying their property.

rampaging bikers...:lol2:
harley3.jpg

Last edited:

I think I am in.....thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GOOD PLACE TO CAMP

Texas Adventure Ride: May 3-6, 2018

Just sent registration fee to Trailboss And hotel reservations made. Looking forward to the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

How much fuel range will I need for the average ride? Deciding between dual sport or ADV bike. [emoji106]

How much fuel range will I need for the average ride? Deciding between dual sport or ADV bike. [emoji106]

From post 1:
“There are gas stations along both routes but your motorcycle should have at least a 120 mile range to avoid running out of gas between stops. ”

From post 1:

“There are gas stations along both routes but your motorcycle should have at least a 120 mile range to avoid running out of gas between stops. ”

Thanks! May have to take the ADV bike unless I can get a bigger Acerbis tank on the dual sport before then. Reservations made just need to register now.

Alright the Granddaddy of Texas Adventures gatherings is back! Looking forward to it!

Made my room reservation at the Best Western yesterday.

Looking at this one with great interest! But I have one prob..... stock tank of 2.3 gal. on my new 2017 KTM exc-f. I know its posted that the routes will be about 250 miles but how far between gas stations? 50 miles? 100 miles? I have two 1 liter bottles I can take, that will get me another 1/2 gal.
Looking forward to get back into all this after all the crap that happened in the last year and 1/2, but thats for later....

Looking at this one with great interest! But I have one prob..... stock tank of 2.3 gal. on my new 2017 KTM exc-f. I know its posted that the routes will be about 250 miles but how far between gas stations? 50 miles? 100 miles? I have two 1 liter bottles I can take, that will get me another 1/2 gal.

Here are the distances between gas stops:
Day 1 -
Start to Rocksprings, 71 miles
Rocksprings to Camp Wood, 46 miles
Camp Wood to Junction, 138 miles

Day 2 -
Gas
Start to Mason, 79 miles
Mason to Llano 43 miles
Llano to Junction, 91 miles

But I have one prob..... stock tank of 2.3 gal. on my new 2017 KTM exc-f. ...I have two 1 liter bottles I can take, that will get me another 1/2 gal.

If you plan on using your EXC for these types of rides, I recommend getting a larger gas tank. As a general rule, I suggest a 200 mile range on any bike being using as a dual sport adventure bike. It's rare for us to go more than 200 miles between fuel stops. However, it is not rare to go 125 - 150 miles between fuel stops.

Last edited:

If you plan on using your EXC for these types of rides, I recommend getting a larger gas tank. As a general rule, I suggest a 200 mile range on any bike being using as a dual sport adventure bike. It's rare for us to go more than 200 miles between fuel stops. However, it is not rare to go 125 - 150 miles between fuel stops.

Here are the distances between gas stops:
Day 1 -
Start to Rocksprings, 71 miles
Rocksprings to Camp Wood, 46 miles
Camp Wood to Junction, 138 miles

Day 2 -
Gas
Start to Mason, 79 miles
Mason to Llano 43 miles
Llano to Junction, 91 miles

Thanks, I think I'll be ok with taking my saddle bags and some fuel bottles.

Thanks, I think I'll be ok with taking my saddle bags and some fuel bottles.

What fuel bottles do you use? I'm considering taking my 250 EXC-F but like you I was concerned about fuel range.

Made reservation today at Best Western. Sent registration today.

Best Western appears to be sold out. Will check out the Rodeway Inn. Wouldn't be down til Friday morning though. Would be nice to meet some folks.

Best Western appears to be sold out. Will check out the Rodeway Inn.

I was surprised at your comments that the Best Western appeared to already be sold out so I called the hotel this morning. They still have about 40 rooms available (and blocked for our event).

When you call the Best Western to make your reservation, make sure you tell them you are with the motorcycle event (Texas Adventure Ride) and want to reserve one of the blocked rooms. If you just ask for a room and don't tell the staff you are attending the event, then they won't allow you to book one of the blocked rooms.

Last edited:

I was surprised at your comments that the Best Western appeared to already be sold out so I called the hotel this morning. They still have about 40 rooms available (and blocked for our event).

When you call the Best Western to make your reservation, make sure you tell them you are with the motorcycle event (Texas Adventure Ride) and want to reserve one of the blocked rooms. If you just ask for a room and don't tell the staff you are attending the event, then they won't allow you to book one of the blocked rooms.

Thanks for this tip. Just got a room at the Best Western with this info and by calling them. I tried to book online a few weeks ago and it showed as sold out. Looking forward to the ride.

Back