• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oct. 1st DS North Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Richardson
This was the most exciting ride I have been on. Guess, that could be an indication that I am still a newbie. Special thanks to Mike and Scott for insuring our safety, as there were several potential ambulance rides along the old train lines. It was great meeting Bullfrog, the most prepared DS rider I have ever seen. In attendance was Bandit, bullfrog, billji, xr650rdriver, and me. Maxxtraxx met us at Sonic for the send off. I am sure Scott had a great view of me flopping around atleast a few times as I began pushing my limits.:eek2: I still have no idea how I kept it wheels down the whole trip. Jerry, let us know you made it home safe and look forward to your feedback. Had fun guys!:rider:

Glad to hear it... were you guys able to use my GPS track/log?

GETBENT,
You did great! Coming home, you did a great save and I was so busy watching you I hit the same ditch and I looked like your instant replay. I know that I had a great time and all of us made it home without mishap.
Nice ride.

Kinda wish I could have been there. But I had fun in the jeep.

sounds like we need to plan a repeat of this ride....maybe in 2-3 weeks.

Hey guys, had a blast yesterday. I did manage to get Jerry (BULLFROG) back to Irving in time.....his wife's MSF course had just finished up. We got caught up in some heavy traffic on 121 just West of the Tollway.....turned out there had been a motorcycle accident.....hope they are okay. Jerry and his wife were both fired up, she having passed her course and Jerry enjoyed the ride.

Riding the trail was a blast, always good to ride with better riders (which is almost always!!); it definitely pushes you. The train bridges sorta scared me at first, but I learned to just go fast and get over it,...so to speak. Even the obstacles we had to work our way around or over were fun, I enjoy challenges. I had some near misses but no crashes, always a good thing. Would like to get out there again.

Don

First pictures. Then I need summa this! I might have to try and set up a mid week ride since my weekends are shot for the next 2 months.

I did not have a camera with me....doh!...... but a couple of the other guys did and did take pictures. I know Jerry took a bunch; once he gets back to Hobbs, I am sure he will post some.

Don

Wow

Where do I begin. I guess with the group as a whole. Don,Jerry,Scott and Brian it was great to meet all of you ! I had a great time. It was cool everyone was comfortable doing thier own thing and not worried they were holding up the group or the group was flying ahead. I enjoyed how we all handled that... Excellent !!!
The food at Sonic was OK I think it would be better to meet at the restraunt in Famersville on the (Brick) main street next time.
We found the place using a Big Smile and a bit of curiosity. When you arrive in Merit on 2194 you will come to a 4 way stop where you cross another Farm to Market road. Turn left and immediatly turn right into a heavy equipment bone yard. Ride about 150 yards and you are on the dual track. Some of the areas were pretty over grown. At some of the speeds we were going those darn sunflowers hurt (LOL). We came to one section that is pretty close to the beginning that I am guessing the neighboring farmer does not want us there. There are berms as tall as me with a back hoe size trench on the oposite side. (1 foot deep and 2 foot wide with squared edges)What is interesting on the way back I looked at this area again. The beauty is how long it is. I am guess 1/4 to 1/2 mile so it could be avoided very easily. Not only are there berms or hills but there are also whoop tee doooosssss. I guess they dont undersatnd that makes it more fun. Also there were a couple railroad ties drug across the way. you could easily go around them but one was from the left another from the right etc.
From this point most of the trail has people driving atv,s or farm vehicles and trucks on it. It is just a lot of fun. One section had a few atv trails we played on. Another section clearly needs to have some single track put in it(watch for streamers or arrows if I make it back in the next couple months) Theres a few sections where the right away has a ton of area down in the ditch we could run single track for a while.
Celeste has a bike path you come too. We road slowly along one side then immediatly got off it when we could. On the other side of town we took gravel out and around. It was fun to open the ole ATK up on a flat staright section. Soon we were back on track heaiding North East. Several times we stopped for a breather and were graced with a ton of Monarchs and Yellow Swallow tails absolutly georgous!!! We all had the chance to see 3 deer and Scott XRdriver played chace with a Coyote !!
We stopped in Wolfe City for a late lunch El Arbol numero dos on main. Some fine Mexican and great tea !!! We then decided to head back because of time. Don and Scott got air while we fueled and took off down the track backwards. On the way home we made short order of it. I led,Get Bent in the middle and XRdriver as the tail gunner. I guess it got a little exciting in the back from one of the posts above. I had no idea that happened. where was that at ??
Jerry had an onboard air compressor. You KLR guys always impress me. Don cuddos to you what an inspiration keep ridden. Jim it was fun riding the Big Red Pig. That thing is a good time. Scott you can spray rocks at me anytime. I enjoyed swapping the lead with you !!!
I am having trouble loading my pics from my hp area to my down load site. If I get it figured out I have about 5-7 to post

Mike Green

Plane Dr said:
First pictures. Then I need summa this! I might have to try and set up a mid week ride since my weekends are shot for the next 2 months.

Todd and I would be up for that... next week weather is supposed to be nice :)

When i get home. I will post the pics I have. One of them is what will be called the "duck and jump."

mnapuran said:
Todd and I would be up for that... next week weather is supposed to be nice :)

Mike and others
Make it next Wednesday and I am in !!! ????

Mike Green

Next wed, not this Wed and I could do it. Mike, Jerry had all the equipment, not me. Man that KLR was a pack mule! If we do it again, I'll think I'll go to Wolf city and backtrack to merit. Then when we ride it, I can just ride home.
If we put some work into it, we could make some nice trails out there. It would not take much.

As far as the ride back, I decided to follow GetBent and it got kind of dusty so we were hitting alot of things that we could not see under the weeds. BRP #1 hit a hidden something or another and goes flopping around, then BRP #2 hits it and does the same exact thing. The railroad bridges are ok when you are last in line, but they are rather hairy when you are the first one to cross them. Funny, the trail seemed shorter going back but I guess it usually does once you've been down it once.

If someone could tell me how to post pics, I have a few.

xr650rdriver said:
Next wed, not this Wed and I could do it. Mike, Jerry had all the equipment, not me. Man that KLR was a pack mule! If we do it again, I'll think I'll go to Wolf city and backtrack to merit. Then when we ride it, I can just ride home.
If we put some work into it, we could make some nice trails out there. It would not take much.

As far as the ride back, I decided to follow GetBent and it got kind of dusty so we were hitting alot of things that we could not see under the weeds. BRP #1 hit a hidden something or another and goes flopping around, then BRP #2 hits it and does the same exact thing. The railroad bridges are ok when you are last in line, but they are rather hairy when you are the first one to cross them. Funny, the trail seemed shorter going back but I guess it usually does once you've been down it once.

If someone could tell me how to post pics, I have a few.

Fixed it Thanks Scott.... It will be great once all the weeds dry up and die. We will be able to see it all..... Yeah I think we should put a little work into. It could be real cool with a few markers. Good idea on back tracking. That way we can always find you when you dont show up at the start. We will see what the others think about meeting in Farmersville for breakfast??

Mike Green

Here are some pics:
Top Left: this was the first incident, on the other side was a rather large trech dug out. Mike found it and saved most of us.
Top Right: Scott having a little fun, really if he was any higher he would have had a tree for lunch. Jerry is standing in one of the trenches that was dug out. Give you an idea what we ran into along the way
Bottom Left: My camera was just a little to slow to catch Scott doing a Superman on his KLR. Atleast, I caught him on the landing.
Bottom Right: Those who are married insisted on stopping to buy their loved ones a flower. This was in Wolfe City.

Attachments

• post1.JPG
    post1.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 201
  • post2.JPG
    post2.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 203
  • post3.JPG
    post3.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 206
  • post4.JPG
    post4.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 197
wow looks like you guys got a good taste of the chapparal. Im gonna have to try and make the next ride. I forgot to tell yall how to get off the trail in Celeste, about 100 yards before those yellow post theres a exit thruogh the trees on the left side of the trail it goes into the parking lot of the city baseball fields and keeps you from having to risk getting a ticket on the bike path.

Are any of you going up to the Oklahoma Dual Sport ride http://www.okdualsport.com/ Oct 13-15, its a casual get together of about 50 dualsports and dirtbikes I went last year and had a blast, 3 of us went up there this weekend and mapped out some nice rocky trails

Here's Scott and his BEAST!!!
DSC01673.jpg

Jim's XR...
DSC01674.jpg

Don with his drz400...
DSC01675.jpg

Our first "trap"...
DSC01676.jpg

Mike offering good advice....
DSC01677.jpg

The bikes...
DSC01686.jpg

Jim...
DSC01680.jpg

Don...
DSC01683.jpg

Mike...
DSC01684.jpg

Scott...
DSC01685.jpg

Scott...
DSC01690.jpg

Don...
DSC01691.jpg

One of the many trestles we traversed...
DSC01693.jpg

Had a great time fellas...
Thanks for letting me tag along....

GetBent said:
...snip...EDIT...Bottom Left: My camera was just a little to slow to catch BULLFROG doing a Superman on his KLR. Atleast, I caught him on the landing...snip...

Fixed

:mrgreen:

If any of you want the raw files of the pics of your bikes, PM me your email address...

Glad you made it back to Hobbs safely, Jerry. It was good to meet you and all the other guys. Always good to associate a face with a forum name! Great pictures. I like the shots from the trench looking up. Jim (GETBENT), you are riding great; hanging with the fast guys will do that for you. I just watched you guys ride off into the distance while I was dodging those big cracks in the ground! Of course I knew Mike and Scott would be fast.

Won't be able to make that particular Wed. ride due to some special work stuff going on, but I am normally up for a weekday ride; I am sure there will be some more rides out there. More than willing to get back out there and help knock down some weeds with our bikes!!:rider:

Don

I wonder if anyone would be opposed to removing some of the larger more dangerous obstacles from the trail. As in, the large tree, ties with the spikes stiking out, etc. I don't want to make it easier, just safer. Maybe even just take some flags to mark the larger washouts off to the side. Just an idea.

Back