• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

07OCT06...SENM Pecos River ASSAULT!!!

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Hope you guys don't mind a greasy NMex'er posting some pics...
My regular forum is experiencing some technical difficulties...

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

DSC01724.jpg

DSC01725.jpg

DSC01710.jpg

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

DSC01708.jpg

DSC01719.jpg

DSC01728.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01730-1.jpg

:rider:

Great pics!Nice to see some action shots. It always seems hard to find the time for good shots.

Y'all don't seem to have any ROCK shortages:lol2:

thumper said:
Great pics!Nice to see some action shots. It always seems hard to find the time for good shots.

I just like the way a bike looks amongst rocks...but most of the riding was on sandy atv trails...that's where the good action shots would have been, but it was too fun going too fast and not stopping. I want to try to get back there in a few weeks and try to get some action pics of some roller coaster ravine crossings that were a BLAST....

:clap:

Looks like a blast. I wish we had more areas in Texas where we could ride like that!

Keep the reports and pics coming!

Good stuff Bullfrog....what no ninja shots:lol2: I like the way you blacked out the plastic, I am thinking about painting my plastics. The red plastic on my KLR is starting to fade to a pink:doh: I can't have that.

dbdolan said:
Good stuff Bullfrog....what no ninja shots:lol2: I like the way you blacked out the plastic, I am thinking about painting my plastics. The red plastic on my KLR is starting to fade to a pink:doh: I can't have that.

Bryan,

Blacked out plastics are good....pinked out plastics are BAD!!!!

I blacked mine out before they pinked out on me.

The other guy I rode with, blacked his out after they turned pink.

I'm not sure if his prep work or coating application wasn't done right but he is having some problems with the black flaking off. (He might have applied the coats too heavy.)

Perhaps once the plastic gets pink, brittle, and oxidized all hope is lost???

Anyway, I used this stuff:

8921_a_80w.gif

Available almost everywhere.....

I scuffed up my plastic with green scotchbrites.
Apply numerous light even coats.

I have been VERY happy with the results...
DSC01599.jpg

DSC01718.jpg

I have ridden through a lot of brush and the coating has held up well.

There are a few chips from tools and rocks, but a black Sharpie conceals those pretty well.

Still not sure about my tank...I'm thinking about getting a HUGE IMS tank...

Hey Jeremiah,
Cool pics. We ride on the Pecos near Langtry quite a bit. The rocks and scrub oak look very familiar only the river is surrounded by canyon walls and some pretty gnarly cliffs. Great riding, but most of it is on private land. I'll try to post some up one of these days. Welcome to the site!

thumper said:

Thumper

This pic is from my last ride on the river...lots of sandy trails...
DSC00954.jpg

I'll try to get some up this week.

bullfrog said:
Thumper

This pic is from my last ride on the river...lots of sandy trails...
DSC00954.jpg

Loks great especially after a heavy rain. There's a few creeks here in Houston that we ride with miles of sand. It can be tough in the summer heat.:-P

Got any quicksand:mrgreen:

HPIM0242.jpg

That's an awesome quicksand shot!!!!

I haven't found any of that yet....

I know where some creeks are...
DSC01402.jpg

Mud is really fun...
picture_292.jpg

Anyway, when you are talking about creeks "in" houston are you doing the Urban Assault DS thing??? The concept of blasting through the bowels of a metromess sounds WAYYYY cool. A couple of weeks ago I was supposed to meet up with a guy in DFW to blast through some hobocamps and storm drains, but he had to back out due to family problems. What I'm getting at is I would love to see some pics of Urban DS riding (if of course you can post them without legal consequences...:trust: )

bullfrog said:
Anyway, when you are talking about creeks "in" houston are you doing the Urban Assault DS thing??? The concept of blasting through the bowels of a metromess sounds WAYYYY cool.

Yea, that's pretty much what it's come down to. It's still okay, there are a few good trails left [can't really complain as most of them have been cleared...not my land]. We don't ride on fenced, maintained, or posted land. South East Texas is pretty limited.

My parents are retired and just bought a condo in Reidoso NM. So I'll be visiting that area from time to time. Course the bike goes with me.:trust:

Here's a few pics from our last Urban Assault:trust:

HPIM0256-1.jpg

HPIM0259.jpg

HPIM0255.jpg

HPIM0248.jpg

:flip: :flip: :flip:

WOW!!!
I'm really a HARDCORE sportbiker and after those pics I want a KLR! AND a NINJA of my very own "Hey Ninja, go kill that guy AND kick his bike over" "OK Boss!":doh:
On a different thought,, I assume thats a tool kit in front of the frame/skidplate behind the front wheel? Thats an INCREDIBLE idea! Low forward looks water tight tell us more about this secret hidden compartment oh Ninja Master! Seriously!
SRAD

Tim!!!!

Next time you get over to NM, give a shout!!!
There is supposed to be some pretty good riding around Ruidoso...

SRADkneedragger said:
WOW!!!
I'm really a HARDCORE sportbiker and after those pics I want a KLR! AND a NINJA of my very own "Hey Ninja, go kill that guy AND kick his bike over" "OK Boss!":doh:
On a different thought,, I assume thats a tool kit in front of the frame/skidplate behind the front wheel? Thats an INCREDIBLE idea! Low forward looks water tight tell us more about this secret hidden compartment oh Ninja Master! Seriously!
SRAD

SRAD!!!

The tool tube idea was pioneered years ago by the DS veteran dirtbeards.
Mine is 4" PVC about 17" long capped with test plugs....very watertight...

I keep axle wrenches, tire levers, a homemade trail jack, and just about every tool I need to strip the bike down and repair common problems in the field.

Not that the KLR is any kind of torque monster but that little bit of extra weight kinda helps keep the front end down while chugging up steep inclines.

I tend to carry WAYYYY too much stuff on my bike...

Oh yeah...
I really wish "my" ninja would just CHILL!!!
The first time he showed up, he tried to steal my bike...
Now, he shows up every now and then just to scare the crap out of me...

I started packing snacks in my tankbag...
Maybe he's mean cuz he's hungry....

:eek2:

What the Bullfrog did not tell you was that he is working on an off road trailer design for the KLR that will allow him to carry his shop lift, air compressor, air ratchets, and a refrigerator for those really long rides.

:lol2:

xr650rdriver said:
What the Bullfrog did not tell you was that he is working on an off road trailer design for the KLR that will allow him to carry his shop lift, air compressor, air ratchets, and a refrigerator for those really long rides.

That was supposed to be a secret!!!!

:trust:

It sure will be cool though.....

xr650rdriver said:

:rofl:

bullfrog said:
I tend to carry WAYYYY too much stuff on my bike...

HUGH

Are you feeling ok ??

Great pics. I am thinking the ATK might need to be pointed west in the spring. How many hours was it to Irving ??

Mike Green

Come on down!!!!!

Irving, TX to Hobbs, NM is about 400 miles...

Hobbs, NM to Carlsbad, NM is about 70 miles...

2 miles North of Carlsbad = AWESOME riding!!!!

Tourmeister said:
I wish we had more areas in Texas where we could ride like that!

Scott: You need to get all healed up and come ride the Terlingua DS ride. It looks like the northern Pecos River area.

I have been working on a loop ride in West Texas that goes up to Cloudcroft and back down through the Carlsbad area. Looks like there is some really nice riding in the area.

Back