• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Clayton with the OK Dual sport Riders

McLeod

Reaction score
First Name
Tery
Last Name
Poindexter
Just got back from my ride at Clayton with the Ok Dual sport group. http://www.okdualsport.com/forum/default.asp

What a blast. Thursday evening lots of bench racing and shaking hands, meeting old friends and making new ones.
Friday morning was darn cold, but the day was bound to trun out awesom. You couldn't ask for better weather.
t-f21.jpg

t-f10.jpg

Get loaded up and head out of camp up to the frst stop.
t-f24.jpg

t-f20.jpg

t-f14.jpg

t-f5.jpg

I didn't take a picture of it but on the first hill climb back up to the highway out of the campground I paid homage to the honda gods and scraficed a mirror. It saved me more embarrsing moments for the rest of the weekend.
At this point the group split some were off for a higher skilled ride. Yater will have to tell you guys about that.
t-f13.jpg

After getting back to camp there was some fun to be had at the expense of a log. I wont say that there was beer involved but it may haved helped.
t-f19.jpg

t-f23.jpg

t-f8.jpg

t-f4.jpg

Saturday was just as much fun. I think I inhaled all the dirt in Oklahoma. Well maby not quite that much. ;-)
Everone ready????
Sat1.jpg

First stop. Picture taking ensues.
sat3.jpg

sat4.jpg

Who says women don't ride Dirt bikes????
sat6.jpg

sat5.jpg

Pickens at last, Lunch and story telling.
sat9.jpg

sat10.jpg

sat7.jpg

We all ended up at pickens for one of those famous sandwiches. After the dusty ride back what better than a BBQ dinner and a few cold ones around the fire to tell stories and ras others.

Sunday we had a short ride limited by gas and weather. It was a blast. Hope you guys can join us next year.

The OK dual sport group is planning a Dual sport Mc camping trip in november. If any one is intrested check it out http://www.okdualsport.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34

What a blast!

Non-eventful ride down with a stop about halfway to meet up with another rider from OKC to share the rest of the trip with. We got in after dark, setup our tents and commenced with the consumption of adult beverages.

Saturday morning meant a quick trip into town for a short-order breakfast before the ride. There was an "easy" group and an "off-road" group heading out . . . I went with the rougher of the two. A TTR with a hole in the case made for an extended first rest stop, but JB weld and quickseal were flying out of packs before all the helmets were off, all was fixed and we were back on our way. I'm pretty sure the quickseal held up the rest of the day just fine (correct me if I'm wrong here). Just goes to show you how helpful this whole group was.

Some trails, trees, rocks, and one little "oopsie" on my part which left me with a broken mirror mount (and I was >< this close to taking them off before the ride, too . . D'oh!) and it was time to start looking for Pickens. Dust. Did somebody say dust? We met up with the other group by chance on our way to Pickens which meant we now had ~50 bikes running dusty roads all together. I know there were at least two instances when I couldn't even see the trail under my front tire from all the dust (at 45 mph no-less) which made me a little nervous because I've ridden down there quite a few times and even on the nicely groomed trails there is the errant rock or chuck hole that pops up without warning. No harm, no foul, and we found Pickens.

A boat load of bikes, some delicious BBQ, topped off tanks, and great conversation for lunch hit the spot.

Remember the dust? I had had just about enough of it and decided to grab just a few riders for some light exploring. Found three others willing to give up the big group rides without too much fuss and we set off. We explored a power line trail and a few of smallest, less-traveled type trails we could find, but they pretty much all wound up being dead-ends. 4 riders, 3 gps's, and we can't find a connecting trail, lol. After we realized the clock was ticking and we were still quite a ways from camp, we found one of the main trails and "auto-routed" our way back.

Saturday's dinner was excellent. Couldn't have asked for more. It's the people that really make these things great. Everybody was courteous, friendly, helpful and just all that anybody could ask for at an event like this.

Sunday morning was time for another quick trail ride. I grabbed three other riders and we headed out for a little "rougher" ride than the main group. As soon as we started bouncing around on the rocks, I realized I was more worn out from yesterday than I realized and slowed the pace quite a bit. That big pig (KLR) gets heavy after trying to toss it around like a mx bike for a day and a half, lol. I let the others lead so I could hang back and relax a little. Seemed to work pretty good. Not much longer though, and I was just whooped. Took a vote and the others were tired too, so we headed back to camp.

Finished loading everything up and headed out for the cold/wet ride home.

Could not have possibly asked for more out of a weekend of riding.

Since I was busy riding and having so much fun, I didn't really break my camera out except for one timer shot of our Sunday morning crew for posterity sake . . .

2w2hdew.jpg

Very Cool

Excellent pics and write
Thanks for sharing
McLeod you buying stock in those mirrors yet ;)

Mike Green

billyji said:
Very Cool
Excellent pics and write
Thanks for sharing
McLeod you buying stock in those mirrors yet ;)
Mike Green

Umm... well lets say I am going to buy one more "Honda" mirror ($33). Anyone got any recomendations for fold downs?

McLeod said:
Umm... well lets say I am going to buy one more "Honda" mirror ($33). Anyone got any recomendations for fold downs?

There are some guys on the board with Honda's that have a little mirrors that mount under the bar. you look back under your arm pit. They say they work great...

Mike Green

I *really* wanted to go... but my little accident last Wed kept me from going :(

Glad it was a good time

It was a great weekend with a lot of great folks.
Got up there friday evening set up camp then me and Backspinn took a pitch black after dark ride on the trails behind the park what a rush. Saturday was about 7 solid hours of offroad riding a mix of some tight rocky trails and wide open fireroads Lots of dust and tons of good fun. Of course there was beer and story telling around the fire in the evenings. heres a few more pics

The campsite was wall to wall with dualsports and tents

cl8.jpg

cli.jpg

heres some of the sat. morning offroad group on the rocky stuff

cl5.jpg

cl4.jpg

cl2.jpg

ci3.jpg

lunch at pickens

cl7.jpg

Lets not wait till next fall to get back up there.

Ah...OK in October. :zen:

I recognize the place, I recognize some of the faces...glad y'all had a good time and sorry Scooter and I missed it.

Hey Did anyone loose any poles to their tent?
We found a set of fiberglass poles near where the big red KLR was camped.

McLeod said:
Hey Did anyone loose any poles to their tent?
We found a set of fiberglass poles near where the big red KLR was camped.

That would be me and yes I left the poles for my new tent behind as I scooted to get my tent stuffed into my truck as the rain came down.
Called the Camp Guy and he went down to see if they were still there.
I had this nagging feeling that I'd left something behind. But was so sore I didn't want to turn back. What with the rain and my inpromptu gravel inspection. I'm still sore!!!

How can I get those back from you?

I'll PM you my cell #.

Thanks for picking them up. I'm sure glad your close.

Curtis

I need to work on my camera draw speed
IMG_0227.jpg

Skidplates are a must in that area. This was fixed with quick seal and the bike made the rest of the ride (a ttr225)
IMG_0223.jpg

The dirt and "he-man" rides were a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I was too busy staying alive to take pics of the rough riding...I mostly got the rest stops
IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

If anyone wants to go back for a ride, I'm in. I'd love to do a ride that starts near Clayton sp or broken bow and heads into arkansas for a day or two (as much dirt as possible).

Great pics. Clayton is so much fun. Firstman and I may be going up there for a Sunday ride. Likely leave Saturday night, camp, then ride Sunday. I should run this buy Firstman, I guess. Looks like you guys(and girls) had a blast. I am afraid to ride with girls, my ego is already too small :)

GetBent said:
my ego is already too small :)

Adam is a great ride partner. You will do fine. Ill bet your all ready better than I.
A nice warm up would be to start out on the trail just to the east of camp.
The trail starts from the lower camp ground and runs out to the highway about 1 1/2 miles down from the campground entrance. It starts out easy and becomes more technical as you go. Keep your eyes up, stand up, and keep at a comfortable speed, you'll do fine, Never,,, Never look at the gully of death...:eek2:

McLeod said:
Adam is a great ride partner. You will do fine. Ill bet your all ready better than I.
A nice warm up would be to start out on the trail just to the east of camp.
The trail starts from the lower camp ground and runs out to the highway about 1 1/2 miles down from the campground entrance. It starts out easy and becomes more technical as you go. Keep your eyes up, stand up, and keep at a comfortable speed, you'll do fine, Never,,, Never look at the gully of death...:eek2:

I was up there in the jeep a few weeks ago and had to put it in 4wd, that is a nice little trail.

billyji said:
There are some guys on the board with Honda's that have a little mirrors that mount under the bar. you look back under your arm pit. They say they work great...

Mike Green

Available from www.dualstar.com but you need to call them to order.
These mirrors are great, be sure to get two, one for each side.

Steve

XR650Rocketman said:
These mirrors are great, be sure to get two, one for each side.

Steve

I don't know Scott said he only sees his love handles or what is right beside him. Dangit, I wasn't suposed to say that out loud :lol2:

FirstMan said:
I don't know Scott said he only sees his love handles or what is right beside him. Dangit, I wasn't suposed to say that out loud :lol2:
Hey now I resemble that remark... :trust:

klrno2 said:
Ah...OK in October. :zen:

I recognize the place, I recognize some of the faces...glad y'all had a good time and sorry Scooter and I missed it.

I pitched my tent in your old spot at the campgroungs Sandy.
Next time you guys come we'll have to flip a coin for that spot. Nice being so close to the bathroom. And grass!

We missed you guys!

I got my tent poles back today from Tery who was kind enough to bring them back across the Border for me. (Funny the tihings you'll overlook when your packing in the rain!) We had a nice lunch today and I'm sure his two friends think we're both nuts, after all the stories we told of the weekend. HA!:rofl:

Oh and a thanks to the other Curt for finding them!

I can almost scratch my head again.!!!!!!

Curtis

Curtis said:
We had a nice lunch today
Thank you very much it was a darn good reason to get out of the office and great times talking about bikes.
and I'm sure his two friends think we're both nuts
Nope I don't think that there was any doubt at least for me!!!:rofl: [/QUOTE]

Back