• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Clayton 10/22/06

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Last Name
McCreight
The story starts with me needing to pick up my wife's drive shaft for her jeep in Clayton. If I am going to make that drive, I might as well play while I am there. Turns out the drive shaft is not ready, so I guess I have to go back :rider:

That is the truth, now for the lies :trust:

There were 4 people on the trip,
FristMan -- Adam -- WR450
GetBent -- Jim -- XR650R
Tallboy -- Scott --KLR650
And Brian --XR650L

A bike or two were drooped, we met drunk Okies in Geo metros that had dogs riding on their trunks and bungees holding the whole hood down. And some of us saw Mule butt up close and personally. Like always, I don't carry a camera, so i do not have any pictures to prove it. But, I am going to invest in a helmet cam, I want to be able to hit rewind and find out if it was a mule or a horse.

Okay, I gotta tell you about that part. We are headed back after 5 hours of riding, 6-7 hours of being in the saddle. Scott was tired of seeing dust and finding the rocks by braille so he is in the lead. We are going at a good clip, probably 30-40 mph, and a mule jumps out on the road and starts running with us. Scott attempts to warn us, but I find out later, all he sees is Mule, a little bit of me, and dust behind me. What I see is a mule, mule in front of me, I now have the rear brake locked attempting to move out his way, mule kicking up rocks trying to get away from me, his rear is going faster than his front and is twisting him, (I guess you could call it peeling out, he was throwing up big rocks) I no longer see hoofs, only black butt, then he cuts to the right and takes off in the woods. I stop, raise my arms in glory and then GetBent and Brian pull up not knowing why I am doing to rocky dance on my WR. I know to you all it isn't that great of a story, but that is really all I remember from the day.

Oh yeah, we did 120 miles, we played on kinda sorta single track until noon, headed to pickens to eat lunch, stopped at sheriles before pickens, played around on every road we could find until 4:30 and then headed back to the state park. Played on roads near the park, packed up and headed home.

That's exactly how I remember it too. Cows, mules, deer, coyotes, and buzzards make for exciting times when "traveling at a good clip".

Scott, did you arleady forget your lowside slide? Watching you was the best part of my day. Sorry about the bars, though. I will try and get pics up tonight

GetBent said:
Scott, did you arleady forget your lowside slide? Watching you was the best part of my day. Sorry about the bars, though. I will try and get pics up tonight

Mud, sunk wood and balding tires makes for a good show! :clap:

Sorry I missed it. Let me know when you go back for the driveshaft.

Well, I didn't say the mule incident was the only memorable part of the trip.
The mud dance was also exciting, but for only 0.10 second. The way I look at it:
Handle bars - $30.
Full face helmet - $200.
Not getting hurt - Priceless

Getting the bike up before picture taking commenced was also a good strategy. Let's get a look at those pics!
Scott

Always an adventure in Clayton...

I bet you were very happy when the driveshaft wasn't ready!

Here are some pics of the ride. This is the first flat of the day, turns out air pressure is your friend in the rocks. Everybody double checked their air pressure and decided to go up to atleast 20psi. Not bad, just one flat all day. Last picture is Adam after he checked to see if the fence had any current.

Attachments

• p1.JPG
    p1.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 205
  • p2.JPG
    p2.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 198
  • p3.JPG
    p3.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 202
  • p4.JPG
    p4.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 214
  • p5.JPG
    p5.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 211
And some more. Here we are coming back down the rock steps we went up earlier. Scott looks like lord Vader coming at me on his mean green KLR. Scott did a great job throwing that KLR around in the rocks. Brian and I really got a kick out of the more technical terrain, must be a Honda thing. Adam is coming down after he realized his front end was washing out because the brake lever was hitting his bark-buster. Then we played in the creek for some good pics.

Attachments

• p10.JPG
    p10.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 204
  • p9.JPG
    p9.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 196
  • p8.JPG
    p8.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 198
  • p7.JPG
    p7.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 191
  • p6.JPG
    p6.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 203
....and more...After we all got some good pics in the creek we headed toward the main road. We stopped for a rest and to enjoy the view before we headed into WMA territory. We stopped at Sheryll's to say hi. We met her on the last trip and she was nice enough to let us use her air for our tires. Adam and I decided to get our permit to ride in the WMA and to avoid a $300 ticket if we got pulled over. Sheryll also informed Brian and Scott that there permits were not any good since they only paid $16 instead of the $25 required for out of state residence...they took their chances. We then headed up to Pickens for some great BBQ and fuel. We ran a pretty good pace sometimes hitting 70mph in some areas. Keep in mind, it is hunting season and there is a lot of traffic on the back roads. Be careful around turns.

Attachments

• p15.JPG
    p15.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 203
  • p14.JPG
    p14.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 209
  • p13.JPG
    p13.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 201
  • p12.JPG
    p12.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 191
  • p11.JPG
    p11.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 197
and the rest!....After leaving Pickens we tried a lot of side trails. That is were the fun is! Scott took it upon himself to demonstrate the proper way to slide a KLR. He came up a bit muddy and in good spirits. Unfortunatly, his handle bars bent and he lost a left fairing. I still can't figure out how he was able to ride like he did with hose bars so bent. Then it was Adams was nice enough to show us what line "not" to take up the hill. You guys need to stay down till I get my camera out next time.:) Then that is me trying to get good and wet before we head home. It was a great trip. I had a lot of fun riding with this group. Everyone was is good spirits and was open minded to a wide variety of riding. The mix kept it very interesting. I hope to do this atleast one more time before it gets too cold.

Attachments

• p16.JPG
    p16.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 198
  • p17.JPG
    p17.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 204
  • p18.JPG
    p18.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 205
  • p19.JPG
    p19.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 211
  • p20.JPG
    p20.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 245
That sure is a good looking XR650L!!!!! I'm glad Brian is enjoying it.

oldbmw said:
Sorry I missed it. Let me know when you go back for the driveshaft.

Brutus said:
Always an adventure in Clayton...

I bet you were very happy when the driveshaft wasn't ready!

I shall call today to see if he is working on it. And Chris, sorry about the tire, I will bring it to Sherman later on this week.

FirstMan said:
Okay, I gotta tell you about that part. We are headed back after 5 hours of riding, 6-7 hours of being in the saddle. Scott was tired of seeing dust and finding the rocks by braille so he is in the lead. We are going at a good clip, probably 30-40 mph, and a mule jumps out on the road and starts running with us. Scott attempts to warn us, but I find out later, all he sees is Mule, a little bit of me, and dust behind me. What I see is a mule, mule in front of me, I now have the rear brake locked attempting to move out his way, mule kicking up rocks trying to get away from me, his rear is going faster than his front and is twisting him, (I guess you could call it peeling out, he was throwing up big rocks) I no longer see hoofs, only black butt, then he cuts to the right and takes off in the woods. I stop, raise my arms in glory and then GetBent and Brian pull up not knowing why I am doing to rocky dance on my WR. I know to you all it isn't that great of a story, but that is really all I remember from the day.

Oh yeah, we did 120 miles, we played on kinda sorta single track until noon, headed to pickens to eat lunch, stopped at sheriles before pickens, played around on every road we could find until 4:30 and then headed back to the state park. Played on roads near the park, packed up and headed home.

A mutual friend e-mailed this to Adam and I in light of this story....

For those of you who just thought you knew everything, here's a refresher course.....

Then you will know everything!!!

Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.

Great pics Jim a little small though LOL.... Adam has your mirrors

Mike Green

Hey Mike, I haven't figure out to post bigger pics, yet. :( I will try and get to Adam's to check out the mirrors. I am tired of getting mine knocked around by branches.

GetBent said:
Hey Mike, I haven't figure out to post bigger pics, yet. :( I will try and get to Adam's to check out the mirrors. I am tired of getting mine knocked around by branches.

Instead of using the thumb nail,click on the image wherever you have it hosted so they are regular size. Then right click and get the properties for it. It will then post at that size. you still have to do each one but to me it is worth it.
The mirrors are waiting for you. I have mine laying on the bike ready to be installed. They are stealth looking. I like them.

Mike

Looks like ya'll need to ferry me around the playground up there.Guess it's to cold coming up and I'm busy thru dec...Bet you guys had a good time[real trails].Anybody going to terl. from dallas area.???

GREASEMONKEY said:
Looks like ya'll need to ferry me around the playground up there.Guess it's to cold coming up and I'm busy thru dec...Bet you guys had a good time[real trails].Anybody going to terl. from dallas area.???

Mike and I have a jeep event that weekend. It is wild, on that weekend I have had 5 potential events to go to. Jeeping, Motorcycles (sreet and dirt) sailing, and the most intresting to me is that a friend wanted to give me his 450 hp all wheel drive car to play on the race track with !!

Back