• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I am retarded... (05 Suz DR-Z400SM)

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Hare
...errr, I mean MOTARDED!!!

I am now the proud owner of a practically new 2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM. I love it already.

To those of you who don't know, a supermoto is essentially a dirt bike with bigger brakes and sticky tires on wider rims. They weigh in between 250 and 300lbs, typically, and have an AMA race class all their own.

I have only ridden the thing 30 miles or so, mostly highway, but I am in love already. It has comparable power to the GS, but weighs about a hundred pounds less. It only has a 5 speed gearbox, but the gears are tall and the powerband is as wide as the RPM range. The thing is very light and very tossable. It has a practical top speed of about 80, but it can go higher if you give it the room. But below that... and look out.

I can honestly say that I have never laughed as much as I did when I rode home on the DR-Z than I ever have in my life. I was laughing so much and so loud that my friends could hear me; inside the truck; with the windows up; and the engine on. It's not exactly the quietest engine, either. It's a 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel (F-250). I am still laughing and giggling about it now.

The suspension is fantastic for my weight. The front springs are perfectly matched for a 130 lb rider, and they are fully adjustable inverted forks. The rear is a bit stiff for my weight according to RaceTech, but I didn't notice a problem with it yet.

But seriously. It's an absolute blast to ride.

Pictures later.

Thanks Chirpy!!

Re: I am retarded...

Congrats!
How soon will you have that bad boy out on the track? I'll take the pics if you loan me the digicam!

Squeaky said:
Congrats!
How soon will you have that bad boy out on the track? I'll take the pics if you loan me the digicam!

I'll be going to MSR (Not sure whether Houston or Cresson) next year, early if possible. Gotta use that track day credit!

Glad you made it home without freezing...I was a little worried.

If you had fun on 35, wait'll you cut through downtown tomorrow...your mouth will ache from all the laughing. It's a silly, silly fun bike. Kinda miss it already. My son was crushed.

I'm glad it found a good home. I expect to see some pictures soon.

I got to toss around a friends DRZ out in the Hill Country last year. Fun bike!

Good luck with it!:rider:

Chirpy said:
Glad you made it home without freezing...I was a little worried.

If you had fun on 35, wait'll you cut through downtown tomorrow...your mouth will ache from all the laughing. It's a silly, silly fun bike. Kinda miss it already. My son was crushed.

I'm glad it found a good home. I expect to see some pictures soon.

Yeah, I thought I'd be out there earlier so I had my warmer weather gloves. My hands were actually warmer than my legs thanks to those hand guards though. Never lost feeling, as it only got down to 50 or so.

I can't wait to take it out tomorrow. I'm going to have to find a place to park it though since I lost my parking sticker on my other bike and, well, it's a sticker so it stays where it is. I get to talk to the transportation people tomorrow morning. We'll see how it goes.

Again, thanks Daryl, I absolutely love this thing already.

That's great news bud, was hoping you could make the deal with Chirpy. We'll never catch you in the corners now.
So....you riding up with Pops tomorrow to offer me a test ride ?

jetblue said:
That's great news bud, was hoping you could make the deal with Chirpy. We'll never catch you in the corners now.
So....you riding up with Pops tomorrow to offer me a test ride ?

On the contrary, I'll be headed down to San Antonio to spend some time iwth the girlfriend and maybe go to Cycle Ranch to take some motocross shots for my photography project.

My dad says he wants to test ride it though. I can't blame him. :mrgreen:

AlphaFire X5 said:
...and maybe go to Cycle Ranch to take some motocross shots for my photography project.

So who takes the pics when you're the one riding?
There's no way Alyssa can ride with you now - she'll have to get her own! :rider:

Be sure to share some good photos and of course get the new SM sideways while there. :trust: Can the g/f get some shots while you ride ?

Squeaky said:
So who takes the pics when you're the one riding?
There's no way Alyssa can ride with you now - she'll have to get her own! :rider:

Naw, I'll be photoing, not riding :(

And if I get some spare body work for this one, I might let her ride it around :mrgreen:

jetblue said:
Be sure to share some good photos and of course get the new SM sideways while there. Can the g/f get some shots while you ride ?

I don't think I trust myself in the dirt just yet. It's been a long time since I was, so I want to take it easy when I do go. Not sure I want to do it on street tires either. I'm ballsy, but not that ballsy yet.

maybe I'm weird, but I'm more comfortable in the dirt and more willing to try stuff there then I am on the street. Course it could be that I spent $500 on my XR and $6000 on the VFR :eek:

oh yeah, I'm really jealous, I mean, Congrats! :thpt:

tx-vfr said:
maybe I'm weird, but I'm more comfortable in the dirt and more willing to try stuff there then I am on the street. Course it could be that I spent $500 on my XR and $6000 on the VFR :eek:

oh yeah, I'm really jealous, I mean, Congrats! :thpt:

I wouldn't mind getting a little dirtbike (with better suspension than the 1980 Yamaha XT250 or the 1981 SuzukiTS250 my father has) to learn how to properly control the thing in a slide. Maybe I'll buy a spare set of plastics for dirt use that I don't mind tearing up.

XR100! Can't beat 'em in the backyard...

I'll be mailing your BoS tomorrow, I drove around with it in the truck all day Satruday and forgot to mail it :doh:

chiricahua said:
Hey Congrats, you gotta hit up lime creek road. May be there tomorrow around 10ish!

Still gettin' used to the DR-Z and want to get my boots in before I deal with LCR... but maybe sometime soon!

Think we can go to a big lot and slide around? Maybe you can show me some tricks to help me get comfortable with foot out.

chiricahua said:
Sure. Let me know when you have time. Dirt is really great for learning or starting to slide. You'll like the boots. :rider:

Yeah, but going to the dirt would require some dirt wheels and tires, right? I tried some dirt riding when I was at Cycle Ranch in Floresville, but even the slightest touch of the front brake caused the wheel to lose traction. It was soft dirt though. Street wheels with street tires on a street bike ridden by a street rider in a whole lot of dirt... let's just say it doesn't mix. :mrgreen:

I can't fork over cash for dirt wheels, which is why I figured taking it slow in a big empty lot would suffice for a while too. Maybe I'll try and get my dad out to a dirt park with our dirt bikes (1980s 250cc dual sports) and try that.

There is a paved lot by my house, but pavement hurts.:eek2: And I did mean dirt with the street tires not dirt tires. :trust:

There are a few basic principles when riding on the dirt with street tires.

Like don't use the front brake unless you are going straight.:mrgreen:

And if you are going to turn while carrying any type of speed, well then you are going to slide.:mrgreen:

You'd be surprised what the DRZ can do in the dirt.:clap:

Once you get your boots and feel comfortable on the bike let me know. We'll take it easy and just cruise.:clap: Maybe RearViewMirror can join us for a ride.:rider:

My SM picked up a nail in the rear tire on Tuesday night, so it's been stuck at my parents' place for the past couple of days. I have a lot of stuff planned for it this weekend including:

tube patch/replacement
valve check
radiator flush
oil change
CFC Case Guards
Kick start kit
Acerbis Supermoto front fender

Stay tuned for pictures...

Bummer bout the nail. I'd put a new tube in and patch the old for a spare. Sounds like you have a good list of stuff to do.
First Valve service shouldn't be till bout 14, 500. But it's always fun to check.
Take a picture of your camera also. I'd like to see what you took those MX pictures with.

chiricahua said:
Bummer bout the nail. I'd put a new tube in and patch the old for a spare. Sounds like you have a good list of stuff to do.
First Valve service shouldn't be till bout 14, 500. But it's always fun to check.
Take a picture of your camera also. I'd like to see what you took those MX pictures with.

My first valve check is for the 600 mile service, which I kinda forgot (didn't have time) to do.

I ran into some complications though... My valve check turned into a valve adjustment, because I had to replace an exhaust shim. So after replacing the shim (had to go to the dealer to trade out the shim) and reinstalling the camshaft etc and finishing up... things got worse.

While my father was trading out the shim at the dealer I started the kick start kit install. When he got back I finished the valve adjustment I got back to work on the kick start kit. However, when I got to reinstalling the clutch assembly after finishing the kick start kit my father advised me to tighten down the clutch springs pretty tight, which resulted in destroying part of the clutch basket. He felt bad, I felt bad, I need a new clutch basket. :lol2:

When I get the new clutch basket, all I have to do is pull the side case off, replace the basket and reinstall all the clutch plates, then put on the tank and all the bodywork and I'm good.

So, maybe a week? Ehhh, I have schoolwork to do anyways.

Back