• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Full Beaver Moon Tech Day

Reaction score
Re: Who's coming to our Full Beaver Moon Tech Day?

Enjoyed meeting and visiting with everyone at and during the tech day event.
Thanks to all who attended. You made my day. And thanks to the hosts for their treats and sharing their time with us. Here's hoping every one returned home safe and sound. Ya'll are a fantastic bunch of people. :clap:

Dirk

Howard and Jill are great hosts and the weather today was just about perfect, uh, after it warmed up. :sun:

It was a big turnout with people coming and going all day long. There is a pretty good group that is camping out overnight and the "tent city" kept growing.

Some surprises - Elly (CWdancer) rode up on a brand new Burgman 650 - pearl white - looks great! :thumb:

Nathan (tx-vfr) had gotten his Honda ST project all legal and rode out late in the day as part of a test run and also to show it off. :thumb:

The Tyler guys were there, left to ride and take pictures, and then came back for the vittles! Bunch of bums! ;-)

For most of the afternoon, you could have turned the parking area into a BMW and Suzuki dealership, complete with service area. Also, once Alan (Eulogite) and Debbie arrived, there were 6 V-Stroms - 3 1000s (StromBoy, Squeaky, Eulogite) and 3 650s (TexasShadow, bdh, and Gilk51). Oh wait, there was another red one - but I am confused and forgot the name. Anyway, make that 7!

I rode home with Nathan and last saw him headed toward Sundance Square around the Green Oaks exit on I20. Also, Tom (Hairsmith) dropped in from Nac and had a way to go himself.

Very fun day. Kuddos to H and J for hosting it! :clap:

Last edited:

Hairsmike = Hairsmith

He cuts hair for a living ;-)

Gilk51 said:
The Tyler guys were there, left to ride and take pictures, and then came back for the vittles! Bunch of bums! ;-)
I'll have you know that Dutch was very instrumental in bringing food to the table. :eat: I gave my chain primer to all who would listen and made sure Goodman had plenty of bellyrubs. :zen:

Kudos to Jill & Howard - it was a fun day..... lots of dirty bikes though :shame: :rofl:

Got back to the house and was too tired to drive back out there for the bonfire and frivolity.... the big question will be Squeak's brakes. Stay tooned.:twitch:

Gilk51 said:

:argh:

I'm finally makeing it home.

Got in ~245mi on the ST :rider: so far so good

I felt really out of place not being on a Zuki or BMW :wary: I've have fit in better if I'd ridden the VFR, that woulda made three!

Tourmeister said:
Hairsmike = Hairsmith

He cuts hair for a living ;-)
Yeas, I know - he also has it on several shirts. No idea where I got "Hairsmike". :shrug:
Edited the original before Tom sees it...

Dutch & Jay, don't forget the ;-)
:-P

Actually, the five of them did good on a perfect riding day. :thumb:
It's always fun to see and harass those guys... :nana:

Gilk51 said:

For the record...Rick, Bill, Jessicia, Mark, Cameron, Skip and I were at the CW Bike show instead.... :giveup: :lol2:

Seriously though... sound like this was a good time. Sorry I had to miss it. Too many things to do! Also, Whitehouse 28, Mt Pleasant 10...
Dave

Gilk51 said:
Dutch & Jay, don't forget the ;-)
:-P
I know you were just funnin'..... but you know the "net" - people read things and just asssume they're true. :eek2: I mean, what's next???? - accusing someone of wheelying???? :rofl: :rofl:

For the record... Chuck has THE greatest set of crimp connectors and heatshrink tubing next to Aisle#43 @ Fry's. :lol2:

txbanditrydr said:
I
For the record... Chuck has THE greatest set of crimp connectors and heatshrink tubing next to Aisle#43 @ Fry's. :lol2:

I'm kinda surprised he didn't have one of those rolling Electrical connections sales trucks :eek2:

Just rolled in; what a loverly day!!!

Thanks tons and then some to Howard and Jill for the wonderful hospitality; their generous welcome and sharing of tools, garage space, expertise, food and just plain friendliness. And the coffee was fantastic:coffee:
The smoked meat was mouthwatering! :eat3:

In addition, I want to thank Randy, Chuck and Kurt for their patience and sharing their expertise with Whee and me. Using a lift to work on the bike was new for me and now I'm spoiled!

As Chuck mentioned, for awhile the driveway appeared to be a Suzuki and BMW convention :) Lots of V-stroms!!
TDVstroms1.jpg

The bonfire was awesome! Didn't see any meteors and I hit the sleeping bags at midnight. It was the best night sleep I've had in a week and only woke to listen to the early hour chorus of nearby coyotes. Overall, it was a pleasant campout night and I think I went back to sleep smiling.

TDbonfire1.jpg

Woke up to a brilliant morning sun :sun:
TechDaytents1.jpg

I really enjoyed the gathering with so many kind and interesting people. It really imprints what a great group of people reside on this forum.

I remember looking up at one point while working on the bike on the lift and thinking "Holy Cow!" at the number, colors and sizes of bikes outside the garage. I wasn't able to get a good pic (hands covered with grease and oil) to represent the number of bikes in such a small space, but I did take two later that may present an idea of the number and variety.

It was very cool and better than the bike show :mrgreen:
(bikes that people actually ride and go places on)

TDbikes1.jpg

TDbikes2.jpg

Thanks to everyone for coming...it was a blast!

Please save the weekend before Thanksgiving NEXT year for the next full beaver moon tech day.

We figure we cost some poor dealerships about 5k in lost revenue.

Howard

hetkind said:
We figure we cost some poor dealerships about 5k in lost revenue.
It was more than just that: it was a community of bikes and riders sharing what we know and love best: bikes, riding, good eating and having a good time. :mrgreen:

You can't get that from dealerships.

I'm working through my pictures, so here is the first installment. There were new faces and I didn't write anything down, so my memory is toast. :-( If you can fill in the blanks below, please do so, I remember some names but forgot which face and bike they went with... :doh:

This is how we found Howard and Jill's place (assuming we saw the sign and didn't disturb their neighbors) :roll:
sign_1385q.jpg

I wasn't there long before the air raid sirens warned of the approach of this group
tylercrew_1364q.jpg

Looks to be Randy (Stromboy) in the lead

Michael/Dutch (dutchinterceptor)
tylercrew_1365q.jpg

Marvin (Hillflea)
tylercrew_1366q.jpg

Jay (txbanditrydr)
tylercrew_1367q.jpg

I missed Kurt (txmedic), but got one later of him.

Joe (jrock) has a nice Beemer
tylercrew_1368q.jpg

He was followed by Dirk (REXER-1)
tylercrew_1369q.jpg

Uh oh, it appears Howard and Goodman realized that they just let in a Harley guy and are in hot pursuit. :lol2:
dirk_1370q.jpg

One of our hosts, Howard (hetkind). I didn't get a picture of Jill (bedlam) and she is much better looking... :shrug:
howard_1371q.jpg

Their shop, with a bike on the Handy lift (very well named)
shop_1373q.jpg

Their dog, Goodman, just scared a squirrel up this tree
Goodman_squirrel_1374q.jpg

They also have this funny looking dog that makes strange sounds. ;-)
goat1_1375q.jpg

And this one who is expecting
goat2_1376q.jpg

A loaded-down Elzi (TexasShadow) motors in...
elzi_arrives_1377q.jpg

She agrees to pose
elzi_1378q.jpg

I collect pictures of Kurt (txmedic) with his different bikes
kurt_1380q.jpg

Dirk had to leave early (Howard was going to let him stay) :mrgreen:
dirk_1383q.jpg

The ring of custom stools for the later feastivities (mainly food) :thumb:
ring_1384q.jpg

A view from the road showing H & J's driveway.
driveway_1386q.jpg

Dirk is away!
dirk_1387q.jpg

Things are starting to look busy
shop_1388q.jpg

watching_1389q.jpg

Elzi's Wee-Strom was on the lift and her mascots along with it
mascots_1390q.jpg

I was beginning to wonder if this was a dog... :ponder:
goat1_1392q.jpg

The Tyler guys decided to go a-riding and I got these shots as they exited the driveway

Jay
jay_1395q.jpg

Joe
boxer_1398q.jpg

Dutch
dutch_1402q.jpg

Marvin
marvin_1406q.jpg

There they go!
tylergroup_1408q.jpg

Oops, gotta play some catch-up. (need name here, too) :oops:
concours_1411q.jpg

Hopefully, some of these pics will get me out of the doghouse with the Tyler guys... :angel:

Last edited:

I had a great time. Good food, great people hosting the event, good homebrew and great campfire and camping.

For those who wanted the link for the V-strom (I think there were 7 there, and no KLR's to be seen) adjustable windshield bracket here it is:

http://www.madstad.com/servlet/StoreFront

TexasShadow said:
Thanks, Brad. Glad you came! and braved the campout, too.
:nana:
:)

As most noticed my 2000 square foot tent and huge sleeping bag does not work well for motorcycle camping as this was my first time camping on a cycle. All of my gear has always been used with trucks where there is not a space concern.

I hope to upgrade over Christmas so I can actually pack clothes and other items next time instead of just camping gear.

Thanks again Howard and Jill for opening your home (and garages) to us!

Sort of took the long way back to Tyler... through hwy 87 :lol2:
Great ride girls! :rider: I missed these kinds of trips for the last 3 months

Ice cream still hits the spot after a ride, even as you're trying to thaw out :eat:

I got home around 8 from our little trip down the Texas/Louisiana border. Great ride! Great Tech Day! Great BBQ!

Great hosts too! Huge thanks to Howard and Jill.

I'm home too. The "long way home" doesn't quite cut it...

Thanks to Howard & Jill for hosting the event (and putting up with us) and I look forward to doing it again next year!

I'm still trying to thaw and I'm exhausted, so I'll get to typing up the rest later. Keep the pics and stories coming!

Wanted to say thanks to Howard and Jill for being great hosts at the tech day. I didn't get to stay as long as I wanted because we had company coming over and they wanted to eat at 5:00. Knew I was getting old, but 5:00?
Gilk51, I am the one on the beemer with the Tyler group. It was nice meeting you and I too am bad with names. I am new to the group and was surprised how friendly everyone was. You might be seeing more of me.
Wanted to say thanks to Dutch, Jay, and Marvin for a great ride after I left. Finally got to wear the sides of my tires. Was wearing a flat spot from riding with my harley buddies.

Thanks to all!
Joe

Uh OH! I posted a quick reply on accident and looks like I knocked off some posts. Sorry.

jrock said:
Uh OH! I posted a quick reply on accident and looks like I knocked off some posts. Sorry.

No, you just happened to jump in while I was moving them over to the "Story Telling" section. Nothing's been lost! ;-)

Back