• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thanksgiving D/S Ride 2006

Reaction score
I'll be happy to open this thread with a few comments....

First, what a great ride,.....Back in a minute, got to eat B/Fast.....That's better!!

OK....Many thanks to Ken and Wes Ingham for putting on a fine event.....I know you've heard it before but you cannot believe how much time and effort goes into a ride like this....It's when guys step up and do things like this just for the fun of it that we all benefit....

I just checked my odo and it said 383 miles.....I couldn't see it last night as it was way past "dark thirty" when we got back.

I know everyone who participated had a "memorable time" for one reason or another.

All the stories will come out I'm sure.

For myself, all I can say is "It keeps you humble"....Anyway there are no pictures of me in the big water crossing, either time.

My new Wolfman luggage is as waterproof as advertised by the way!

As for my 2000 XR650R that son Joel was riding, all it needs is a new rear wheel.

Let us see the pics you guys took and fill us in on those "memorable moments".

Last edited:
Let's see put up christmas lites or drive 6 hrs in the fog to be pelted by rocks and dust.Think I made a good choice,the ride was primo,especialy around Mason[big granite rocks].Good BBQ.Missed the watersports due to a flat which knobby helped out on.When we got to the watercrossing everyone was looking our way[somethings up]I poked thru not wanting to give a good photo op...and was lucky.The final leg in the dark was ah differerent,fifteen bikes in a clump to be able to light the road thru deer and mad cows,that was close Joel...[maybe 1 ft].Anyhow still have to put up lites today.Hope this happens again!!!!!

Re: Thanksgiving Hill country 350 adventure rally

OK, Got home about 11pm last night. Loosened the tiedowns and left everything sitting in the driveway. 4 Advil and a shower was all it took to put me out til 6 this morning.

The bike is now washed, chain lubed, airfilter cleaned, and the clothes are in the wash. It was an incredible road trip yesterday, from the bar-b-que in Castell, to Angels afterwards. Perfect roll-charts and GPS coordinates. Great to be a part of about 30 riders in the hillcountry. Awesome weather too. My trip-odo read 398 miles!

GREASEMONKEY said:
When we got to the watercrossing everyone was looking our way[somethings up]I poked thru not wanting to give a good photo op...and was lucky. Hope this happens again!!!!!

I was ready in case things got interesting- haha. Here is a photo of Greasemonkey making a good clean pass of the James River(?).

Knobby, were you the one riding with Greasemonkey?
Don't worry, I got a picture of you, too. :trust:

Excellent ride Ken, Wes and wife, Doug, and all who helped. We sure appreciate y'all's work. I am starting to feel guilty about getting to do all these great rides without chipping in on work duty.

-more photos on the way...
IMG_0242.jpg

Here is a nicer one.
I am sure that by posting that last picture, I condemned myself to being the photographed the next time I go down. Haha I deserve it I'm sure.
IMG_0240.jpg

If you put together a fabulous dualsport rally, good enough to make you feel like you are on vacation, without ever leaving the Hillcountry, packing enough riding for the entire weekend into one day...
PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND. haha -thanks Ken
IMG_0247.jpg

Picture of Doug, who let us stage the ride from his meager home.
Yep, he lives in that tiny little RV in the background, the poor guy.;-)
IMG_0238.jpg

Chadleys1, you do realize that you can put more than one pic in a post, right?

In this picture, people are admiring one of the coolest GS's I have ever seen. It belongs to Sunny, or "Sunman" who is standing 3rd from the left. It hurt to find out that the 11 gallon tank was damaged in a fall during the biggest watercrossing of the day. When I crossed, they were draining the tank into fuel bottles, and handing it out to any who wanted it, as that was a lot better than letting it leak out onto the ground. Darnit. From what I could tell, he is a good wrench, and does all his own fab work. He should have it fixed in no time.
IMG_0226.jpg

Near the river.
IMG_0246croppy.jpg

I took a picture with the self timer of a small weed, with me and my friend Curtis(motocrosser) in the background.
IMG_0239.jpg

I should have taken more action photos.
IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0225crop.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

This guy on the Uly was tough. We came up around a corner to find him picking himself up from a fall at a fast loose curve just before a cattleguard-yikes. He said he was coming in too fast.

I'm out of photos.... who's up next?

:clap: It is killing me to miss out on all these awesome rides! :tears: Thanks for letting me ride along as a virtual hitchhiker!

Good job chadley,probably try to snag a couple pict's for my wall collection.

Not so sure knobby feels the same way:lol2:

Looks like I missed a great ride. Next time I hope that I don't have any family commitments and can join in the fun.

Ah ha! The INFAMOUS James river Crossing. It's taken down many a great rider and gave me the goose bumps first time I attempted it. Hint, be the last to cross (fake any excuse to achieve this position in line) and that way you can determine what paths DON'T work.

GREASEMONKEY said:
Good job chadley,probably try to snag a couple pict's for my wall collection.

Not so sure knobby feels the same way:lol2:

PM me if you want the fullsize, high resolution photos.

I am glad nobody had a camera around when I went down on a calichi gravel curve at about 40 mph, late in the ride. No damage to bike or rider, just pride. haha

Hillcountryrambler said:
Ah ha! The INFAMOUS James river Crossing. It's taken down many a great rider and gave me the goose bumps first time I attempted it. Hint, be the last to cross (fake any excuse to achieve this position in line) and that way you can determine what paths DON'T work.

Ah Ha.....I was first in line to cross..That's what I did wrong, was it? When I was paddling around in the river it was much easier to find the line without all the algea but it was too late by then....

Steve

Back