• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TEXAS INVADES MEXICO aka Uncle Rogers Tour of Mexico

tx246

Reaction score
DAY 1 THE LONG RIDE IN

123123050-M.jpg

Day 1 finds all of us gathered at the 3 Palms Hotel(Presidio, TX) with bikes loaded and ready to go. Sixteen riders were originally on the roster but due to medical, home, work and/or various other reasons 13 of us make a break for the border. After a nervous start through Ojinaga (road construction and resulting confusion) we find the toll road to Chihuahua. My freaking bike is not liking the altitude and does not want to pull in top gear. Great, its only 320 miles to Creel and my bike doesn’t want to keep up. Billyj hangs with me and we make our way at 60mph instead of the 65-70 the others were running. I was told I needed 130 mile range. My bike regularly gets 160+ on a tank but not today......@#$%# as my bike quits going down a hill at 90 miles. I flip reserve and get another 16. The math didn’t add up and I was going to be short. I ended up adding two fuel bottles. I did not want to be the problem bike on this trip but it wasn’t looking good. We beat into a pretty serious headwind and a couple of others had fuel problems but a few tipped bikes and everybody made the first fuel stop.

Bikes fueled up and a couple of tollbooths later we reach the outskirts of Chihuahua. I’m bummed because the bike is running like crap but am making the best of it. Turns out that the route is running us through the interior of the city. Before you know it, the ride becomes a hare scramble event as 13 bikes try to keep up with the leaders who are leaving lights and changing lanes like its the Gumball Rally. Eventually, we made it to the far side of town and nobody got ran over by a bus. For lunch, the bikes got fuel and most ate tacos. Because my bike was running like crap, I told the group that I was going ahead as I knew that they would soon catch me. As the altitude got higher, the bike ran worse. On flat ground, I was good for 55mph. Within miles, the lead group make their way by me.

At La Junta, I got fuel and knew I had bikes in front of me but was wondering where the bikes behind me were. I waited 10-15 min but nobody showed. On the way into town, there looked to be an alternate road that bypassed the town. I thought maybe they had gone that route and was now way behind. I kicked the bike off and away I went at my slow as fast as I could go pace. As I edged southwest, the terrain quickly changed from the high desert to a more Rocky Mountain kind of landscape. Along with that change in landscape came a change in altitude and temperature. That stinking altitude now found my thumper chugging to a mere 45mph. I felt like a turtle running with a bunch of hares. The landscape was dusted with the white stuff they use in Aspen. It was quite striking. I was finding it hard to pay attention to the now curvy road because I was so busy rubbernecking. All of that stopped when I came across the ice on the road. Needless to say, the pavement condition in front of my tire became my focus.

Finally, I saw a sign that said Creel 65. Crap! 65 more miles to go! Oh wait, that is 65 kilometers. I did the mileage conversion on the speedometer and realized that I should soon be there. Margarita’s here I come.....or so I thought. Boy, Creel was bigger than I thought it would be. I thought how hard could it be to find 12 bikes in front of a hotel. On my 4th swing through town Bill waved me down to the hotel. There were only 4 bikes and I made the 5th. We were missing 8 bikes. I unloaded my stuff and paid Anna at the front desk. I shook off the chill and was trying to piece what might of happened to the rest of the group. I kept my ear out for the rumbling of the rest of the group. 10....15....30...60min and still 8 bikes on the road after dark. I was getting a bad vibe. Five of us sat down to dinner when I heard the bikes pull in. I’m telling you that was the sweetest sound. I jumped up from the table and ran out front and got my roommate Billyj unloaded. I counted to make sure there were 8. They were all tired but accounted for. Turns out that there was a flat and a fuel bowl full of sand that held up the group. Like good soldiers, they gathered around the sick bike and got it fixed. Turns out that this was going to be the theme for the rest of the trip.

As the rest found something hot to eat, I turned my attention to my bike. I rode a vintage dualsport on this trip. 1984 Yamaha XT 600 with 4100 miles on the clock. I had prepped the bike as had the others but couldn’t find anything on jetting my bike for altitude. It’s kind of hard to figure out jetting for 8000ft when you live at 600ft. I did buy some jets though. My bike has a two barrel carb. One has the traditional needle with clip adjustments and the other barrel has a constant velocity slide. I leaned the needle on the primary by adjusting the clip and hoped that was going to work. Finishing that, I went in and went to bed.

DAY 2 THE NEW PLAN, THE STAIRCLIMB AND ROGERS BIRTHDAY

Before we know it, the alarm goes off and Billyj and I get up and make our way to the breakfast table. There is talk about the rest of the scheduled days ride/mileage. Two groups emerge. One group(Irondawg, Rocketman650, Ray, Ian, Bill, Teeds and Skinny) are going on with the original route that Irondawg laid out. The other group consisted of (me tx246, team swaney (Roger and Jeremy), ta2240, Micah and Billyj). As a group, we decided to see more and ride less. This group adopted the "nobody left behind policy". We had a riding buddy and were responsible for each other. There was no hesitation on my part to join this group as I ridden with two of these guys in Moab last year. On top of that four of the six had been here before.

We make plans to meet up with the group headed out on the original loop later in the week. We were headed to Batopillas and the other group was on their way to El Fuerte via Batopillas. We left a few minutes before they did but they soon passed us as we stopped at the lake outside of town to visit with the Tarahumara.

123123599-M.jpg

A few pesos traded for some local crafts and we are on our way. The road is paved but has more twist than Sour Skittles. The bike is running better but not lean enough as it noses over at anything over 1/3 throttle. We all have a kick***** time doing our best MotoGP on the pavement. We all do pinch some of the seat foam off our bikes as ice still surprises us in the shady spots but nobody falls all the way down.

123124144-M.jpg

Soon enough, we are at the turn off to Batopillas. The road turns to dirt and we pick our way through the trees. We go through several small villages before the canyon breaks out before us.

123125620-M.jpg

I’ve been to the Grand Canyon North Rim, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and the Royal Gorge but this was something entirely different. From the top, the Canyon is green, deep, and full of views. The road flips on itself all the way to the bottom. We ride a bit, watch Jeremy do some rock climbing, take some pictures and generally just do a lot of gawking.

123126126-M.jpg

As we wind our way to the bottom, we come to a switchback that has a downhill shortcut and we use it to pass a truck. This little downhill will bite us later.

The little villa of La Buffa passes under our wheels and we are cruising and admiring the sights when we come around the corner to find Teeds standing beside his XR650r and it is evident that he has fallen. We get him on his bike and Jeremy gets it started as Teeds knee is tender. We put him in our lineup and continue through the canyon. Twenty minutes later we run into the lead group and return their lost rider. We head into Batopillas looking for lunch.

123127761-M.jpg

Roger heads for a previous destination. He soon finds it and negotiates for lunch. Lunch is at Reyna's house.....not resturante....but house as in her kitchen. The cheese enchiladas go down as easy as the Cokes. We make a date for breakfast and continue through town in search of gas. It is here that we run into the other group and find out that Skinny's brand new Husky just popped its CDI. That makes two out of the first group (one mechanical/one physical) looking for a way to the border.

We head back to our hotel just outside of town. It is above the road and just gorgeous. Roger negotiates and all of us pay up after making sure there is plenty of frio cerveza.

123128759-M.jpg

Everybody gets cleaned up and goes into town to find the lady who has silver jewelry. I stay behind to work on the XT. I adjust the back drum brake and pop in the leaner secondary jet. This ended up being the ticket to making the XT sing later at altitude and on the way home. Then its up to the room and take a quick nap. I hear the rumble of bikes and walk out to the rail. During negotiations, Roger makes sure it is ok for us to bring our bikes up into the courtyard at the top of the stairs. Let the great stair climb begin. There are four flights and some clear it and some don’t. I don’t but hop off and run it the rest of the way up.

Turns out that it is Roger's birthday. We didn’t have any cake but we had beer and limes. We sat out on the veranda and got into the spirit of things. Some of us got "more" into the spirit of things. Before long, we were serving ourselves and the bottles were stacking up along the wall.

123133179-M.jpg

This is Micah telling us how much he likes beer.

123133804-M.jpg

Birthday boy giving us the First Down Move.

123133671-M.jpg

Jeremy trying to take Tims beer.

Jeremy ends up having the more fun than the rest of us. He ended up feeling guilty and tried to give some his fun back. The lime tree accepted it as well as the dog. We have pictures but due to graphic content, we will be leaving those out.

123134015-M.jpg

Six of us knocked off 41 Sols. We settle some dysfunctional family issues and generally have a large time until the bar cooler had nothing left. We shared this hotel with one newlywed couple. Being tired and out of beer, the noise level drops as we retire to our rooms. Snoring starts up as soon as the lights go out.

DAY 3 THE CHURCH, THE WATERPUMP AND THE 8 BALL

Day three has us packed and headed down the stairs on motorcycles. It’s off to Reyna’s for breakfast. My stomach had been giving me problems so opted for some bland scrambled eggs while everybody else had huevos mexicali. It sure looked good. After breakfast, it was off to Satevo and to look at the "Lost Church". We soon find it as Billyj had been there before. There were kids in the courtyard and we handed out suckers and tootsie rolls. The church was unlocked for us and we admired the building inside and out. A stop that was very worthwhile. We headed back into town to get fuel and head back out of the Canyon the way we came in.

123137551-M.jpg

123137295-M.jpg

Kids eating our candy at the Church.

We then ran into the Group that was supposed to be in El Fuerte yesterday. We chat a bit and they head off as they are already a day behind. We run into downed riders Teeds and Skinny at Hotel Mary's in the plaza. They have not secured rides back to Creel as of yet but are making phone calls. Billyj offers to look for a truck but they are sure there is nothing going out today, as it is Sunday. Billyj is fluent in Spanish and looking back we should have found them a ride.

We fall into formation and give high fives to all of the kids as we ride out of town. Soon we have run the length of the canyon and cross the bridge.

123137836-M.jpg

Break at the bridge.

123138150-M.jpg

Looking back towards La Buffa.

It is straight up from here and we arrive at the little switchback shortcut which is now a challenging uphill instead of downhill. I watch Jeremy think about it as he circles by it. I race up to the top to take pictures. As I get to the topside via the road, I see Billyj make it up. I’m looking down and see Micah's bike on its side. This could be bad as ta2240 is waving for us to come back down.

It is bad as the bike fell hard on the right side and drove the bash plate into the waterpump cover. It is now in thirty odd pieces. Roger has that "you *****clowns" look going on. Before we could even get tools out, we hear the rumble of a vehicle on this very lightly traveled road. It looks like an empty stakebed truck and we wave it down. Out hops the driver and an occupant. A 50ish clean-cut cowboy surveys the situation and talks with Billyj. He agrees to get the bike to the pavement but cant haul us to Creel as they need to go to Parral, which is in the opposite direction. The 6 of us hand load the mortally wounded DRZ into the back of the truck and Micah is tying the bike down as best he could. While that is going on cowboy admires Rogers mini vise grips. Roger responds with "you keep". The friendly cowboy is conversing as best he can when he whips out a bag and offers us something that is illegal in these United States. Each of us politely decline as he sticks his key into the stuff and snorts it off his key. We are laughing and in shock. Micah is unaware of what just happened and we decide he probably doesn’t need to know. Micah plans on riding in the back with his bike but we insist he ride up front and take his helmet with him. You see, ta2240 and Roger are LEO in the US and ta2240 said holy @$#$, that was an 8 ball which is slang for a very large personal stash. We mount our bikes and take off up the hill.

We beat the truck to the pavement junction and get something to drink. It isn’t long and the truck pulls into the store. Before we can unload the bike, we find another truck that is heading to Creel. Friendly Cowboy gets us all hooked up and tied down in the new truck. Friendly Cowboy is cutting lengths of rope to tie the bike in the new truck but is having trouble with his smaller type knife. Roger whips out a nice SO knife and tells Friendly to keep it. We ask Micah about his ride up the canyon and he proceeds to tell us a story. Friendly made a comment about Micah’s sunglasses, which were red lenses. Micah told him "you try" as he handed them to him. Friendly put them on and looked in the mirror. Micah then replies "Ohhhh El Diablo!" and they both got a laugh. Friendly then asked how much Micah paid in US for them because he wanted to buy them. Micah insisted he keep them and didn’t want any money. Friendly pulled his wallet out and said " Me No Bandito!" Micah convinced him it was gift for getting him to the road.

Creel is still there and we make it back to Hotel Margarita's. Same routine as we unload, clean up, and look for beer before dinner. Micah and bike arrive and we unload. We consider our options and decide our best bet is to have a water pump cover pulled from a buddy's bike and have it overnighted. Turns out fastest delivery to Creel from Houston is 6 days. Next best alternative is to have it shipped to Chihuahua in 2 days. That is what is decided on and phone calls are made. Thanks to all that made that happen(Michah's wife and greasemonkey). We go to a restaurant and end the day thanking our lucky stars with all things considered. I make my way to an internet cafe and let the family know that I'm still alive. I get back to the room and Jeremy has started the surgery on the cover.

123138386-M.jpg

123138636-M.jpg

Fankencover

We are missing several significant pieces but the seal portion is intact. He has started with JB Weld and has most of the pieces together. I whip out my tools and pull apart my feeler gauges. The brass one makes a nice addition to the Frankencover. In the morning, Jeremy and Billyj look for anything remotely looking like a bike shop with no luck. They do return with rtv silicone. We sealed the inside with the rtv and added a layer of moose putty on the outside. Hey! A can of spray paint and it would look factory.

DAY 4 TO SNOW OR NOT TO SNOW TO THE FALLS

Originally, the plan had us going to Urique today but with Micah’s still hardening and untested Frankencover, we decided to head to the Basisahchi Falls instead which was supposed to be an hour and a half from Creel. Earlier this morning, Teeds and Skinny showed up with their bikes. Roger had already secured a ride to the border from Creel the previous night. IF YOU ARE EVER IN TROUBLE IN THIS AREA, FIND CEASAR AT MARGURITAS! This guy gets it done and speaks excellent English. He also manages a hotel in most every town. Back to the day's adventure......We decide to ride to the falls but had one bike down but there was a healthy 650r that just arrived (Teeds). I agreed to ask Teeds if we could use the bike for the day as his knee was keeping him out of action. The thought occurred to me as Micah and I were walking up the sidewalk that Skinny too was physically able to ride and this would be his last chance at riding as he and Teeds were leaving for the border in the morning. Micah agreed that we should offer the ride to Skinny but he would take it if Skinny didn’t want it. Teeds offered the BRP faster than I could ask. It took some convincing, but Skinny finally took the ride. Skinny has a bum ankle so he would ride Billyj’s ATK and Billyj would ride Teeds BRP. Micah spent the afternoon with Teeds while we made a late start to the falls.

Boy, you could tell right away that this road is slated for pavement, as there had been considerable widening and work done in the first 15 miles or so. It wasn’t long before we were in the snow/ice/mud all at once.

123139337-M.jpg

123139095-M.jpg

Progress was made but it was late in the afternoon. We found some locals and asked how much more and we were informed that it was another 15 miles. Nobody wanted to be on icy pavement in the dark, so we reluctantly turned around and made our way back to Creel. Everybody was filthy but had a good ride. We would have to return another day. Again more food and some beers with Caesar finish off the evening. Caesar sits with us and gives us some information about where to ride the next day and we make arrangements at another one of his hotels for the next days ride.

DAY 5 TO URIQUE I SAY

It is a new day and we are headed to Urique. Only Billyj has been there so it will be some new territory for the most of us. We wave bye to Creel again and head toward Divisidaro. Before there we head to one of Caesar’s recommended turnouts and boy was it spectacular. Several canyons were visible from this vantage point. We soon took our pictures and headed into town.

123141815-M.jpg

123145413-M.jpg

Billyj made friends wherever we went. This time they were from Latvia and had been on the train to Los Moches. Not long after leaving town, the road turns to dirt and there is a military checkpoint. Billyj does his dumb gringo act and they wave us through. The road runs through a higher canyon and it is quite beautiful if not a bit busier than other dirt roads we have been on. We see several tunnels and rail bridges that the train uses along this road. We follow the river for miles and actually have to cross without aid of a bridge. We make it to Boachivio and have lunch.

123146836-M.jpg

billyji outside the restaruant.

This time its Carne Asada and it is quite the treat followed by a couple of frescas. It’s later in the afternoon and we are headed to the motel for which we have a letter to hand to a Paco y Christina in a small pueblo that is well before Urique. We find the hotel and it is closed up but from the outside it is fantastic. The main lodge is literally perched on a private canyon. There is a 5ft walkway across the front of the Lodge and after that is some serious air.

123149564-M.jpg

Inside the lodge is a center fireplace that has a good 10 ft opening on both sides. It isn’t long before Paco y Christina show up and get things going. Hot water heaters fired up/fires built/and dinner started are all a going. We sit in front of the fireplace and start draining Tecates.

123148276-M.jpg

123148574-M.jpg

123148910-M.jpg

Dinner is served and it is delicious. We retire to our rooms, which are ridiculous. In the States, the only way I could get close to one of these rooms is if I worked there. They are that nice.

123147685-M.jpg

Roger does have a problem in his room as he turns back the sheet to find a big iguana in the middle of his bed. The help come in armed with brooms and herd the critter outside. I sleep like a rock once again.

DAY 6 SMOKING BRAKES, STILL HOTTER SAUCE AND THE GREAT MEXICAN ROAD RACE

We wake up short of Urique but climb out of our palatial digs and load up as breakfast awaits us in Urique. Within miles, we are at the top of the canyon and it takes our breath away. It is stunning in scale and beauty. The road is dangerous as witnessed by the many roadside memorials. We pick our way down in the early morning light. The road was like a pile of spaghetti all the way down. There is so much to look at, that we almost forget to steer.

123150810-M.jpg

123151723-M.jpg

Thats Urique in the bottom of the canyon.

We see the town long before we get to it. The sides of the canyons are carpeted in green. All of the farming is old school and done by hand as is road maintenance. We go a long way before we see the first inhabitants of this magical place. Always friendly, they wave, as do we. Two thirds of the way down, everybody has pretty much lost their back brake due to overuse. I learned my lesson going to Batopillas and relied on engine braking most of the way down. Finally, we descend the final 1000ft or so and find ourselves at the literal front door of the town. We cross the threshold and make our way to the plaza. We pull up to a place where a nice KLR is backed against the curb. We meet Kevin inside and find out has been out since the first of Dec and planned to be back in Idaho the first of May. We tell him of our travels and he shares with us what he has seen. Breakfast is ordered. She rattles off egg choices and the one that caught my ear was "camarones" which means shrimp. Yeah gimmie that por favor. Micah tried it too. It turned out to be my killer breakfast of the trip. There was a seedy looking hot sauce in the middle of the table. I warned Roger as he smeared a bunch on his first tortilla. He sampled it and I swear his eyes bugged out the same time ta2240 was coughing and looking for another drink. A little dab will do ya. We finish up and pay. We roll through town and make good with the kids. Its too short and we are headed back up the canyon. This time we stop at an overlook and stare at what is indescribable at best. Helmets strapped back on, we head back up the Copper Canyon. We travel back towards Creel on the same route we came into Urique.

The military checkpoint is still there before Divisidaro. This time there are more soldiers and an older looking Senior Officer is heading today’s crew. He pulls us over and Billyj is doing the stupid gringo routine again. Captain asks where have we been and we tell him. Captain asks "druggas?' while making the classic weed puff. No. Says our translator. Captain starts barking carrera, carrera! and pointing to each bike individually. Then it dawns on me. He wants us do a motostart!! We line up and give him a show. Slowing down a half mile later, we are laughing our heads off as we head into town. Creel shows up through my goggles in the late afternoon and we check in for the last time at Margarita's. This time we crash the bar on the corner and drink quite a bit before dinner. The group of five that left us days before have arrived with one less. They lost Irondawg due to a backed out sprocket bolt that ended up riding the chain all the way to the case resulting in catastrophic failure. He/bike were headed to Chihuahua via train and then to Presidio on truck. We all got caught up with each other’s rides. Some went back to the bar and because that was me, I don’t know what the others did. Reports from home indicated that cold, wet weather was on the way. A vote was taken and we decided to make a break for the Texas border while the weather was good.

DAY 7 RAIN OR SHINE HOME BY NINE.....MAYBE

We awoke find drizzle outside the window. That meant raingear for the day......yech. After breakfast, the long haulers group decided to head out to the falls and continue with the original route. We said our good byes and made our way out of Creel for the last time. The first 60 miles were wet and cold but it soon stopped raining. The canyon outside Creel was beautiful too. Coutomec came and went and we found ourselves in Chihuahua in the early afternoon and feeling good about it when it started raining again. But this time it was only raining under Micah's DRZ. Uh Oh. The Frankencover had let go. We pulled up on a wide sidewalk and Roger did his best taxi call. Before Micah could get his helmet off he and Billyj were stuffed into a cab and off to the DHL office where there should be a part waiting on them. Jeremy and I hung out with the bikes while Roger and ta2240 went to the tienda. Ta2240 brought me an oversize chocolate Hershey bar, which hit the spot as I had been having withdrawals. There was a possibility that the part had got hung up in customs and would not be there but we were confident. Thirty minutes later, the cab rolled out with two thumbs up sticking out the window. Faster than you say teamwork, the part was on and we were adding water. Bye bye Chihuahua. Got last gas and cleared the last tollbooth when we heard it. Hisssssss. It was coming from Billyj's ATK back tire. A nice nail was pulled from the well-worn tire. A quick shot of air and the slime didn’t seal it so a tube change was in order. Tire expert ta2240 handled the tube change like the pro he his. If a flat was going to happen, that was the best place for it. It was done in last light and I hope somebody got a picture or two. Loaded up, we headed toward the Texas border in the dark. The miles quickly passed and there was Ojinaga. A quick check in with the Mexican authorities cleared our vehicle permits and soon we were stateside. A quick flash of our passports and we were back at the 3 Palms looking for showers, food, beer and Tony. We soon found all four. More stories and updates on the riders followed but soon it was time load up on the trailers for quick getaways in the am. Before turning in, we said our goodbyes and thanked each other for the ride.

DAY 8 HOME

Uneventful was the race to DFW. It was close though. The temperature dropped quickly and we flirted with freezing temps for the last 4 hours home. As always, its good to make it home.

EPILOGUE ROGER IN MY REARVIEW ......TIM IN FRONT OF ME

Just wanted to say thanks to all of my teammates on this ride. It was a good feeling knowing someone had my back and I had theirs. My roommate for the trip was somebody I had met just hours ago, but soon found out cut from similar cloth. Everybody contributed in some way to make my Mexico experience greater than I could have ever hoped. Riding is a very individual thing but can be rewarding in a group environment. We never got lost and never lost a rider. We never went too slow nor too fast. We all got along and in a group of six, that is saying something. I can’t wait to do it again.

PICTURES PENDING IF I CAN FIGURE OUT THE SMUGMUG THING.

Last edited:
Sweet write up my friend

What a hoot !!!

I had a riot !!!
It was awesome to be part of the sweep riders. Friendships I will value for a life time !!

Mike Green

Man, I wish I'd been there...great write-up...thanks to all of you for your help after Teeds & I fell by the wayside...

Skinny

MEXadventure 2007: The Intervention

Building the foundation ...

Like many of the rides reported on in this forum, this ride started quietly one evening over a drink last spring ...

Why don’t we go to Mexico?
Sounds like fun to me.
Me to.
Me three.
When?
Dang, I would really like to go, but don’t get any vacation until January and can only use one week for the trip.
Ok, well how about January and we do ... say 9 days, which is a work week plus the weekends.
Cool!

With that, informal planning took over and a general route was proposed and a thread posted on TWT about the ride.

The route:

Who was it that originally described the “Great Circle Route”?
Well, this wasn’t THAT great circle route, but it was ambitious from the very beginning ...

Day One - Presidio, Texas/Ojinaga, Chihuahua to Creel, Chihuahua
Day Two - Creel, Chihuahua to Los Mochis, Sinaloa (via Batopilas)
Night Two - The Midnight Ferry to La Paz, Baja California Sur
Day Three - La Paz, Baja California Sur to Mulegé, Baja California Sur
Day Four - Mulegé, Baja California Sur to Mike’s Sky Ranch, Baja California Norte
Day Five - Mike’s Sky Ranch, Baja California Norte to Douglas, Arizona
Day Six - Douglas, Arizona to El Paso, Texas
Day Seven - El Paso, Texas to Presidio, Texas

Stop laughing!!

To complicate things a bit further, the post on TWT yielded 14 people interested in the trip and willing to sign on. Now logistics became a huge issue. For those that have ever been in the military, they well understand the logistics of movement of large groups and often every attempt begins with ... hurry up and wait.

This is the reason for choosing the name “intervention” for the ride. As you will learn from our noble attempt, intervention became the watch word for planning and executing this effort. Never one to shirk from adventure, the intrepid band of merry adventurers slogged forward into the darkness, only barely aware that poop could hit the fan at any moment.

Many of us geared up for the ride by reading the many epic adventures chronicled in the annals of Adventure Rider and more particularly, the adventures of Gaspipe and Big Dog. Cognizant that everyone on ADV had many more adventures than we under their belts, we absorbed, like little sponges, the wisdom gleaned from the ride reports.

Intervention One -

The route always looked to be ambitious beyond belief to me, and I lobbied for dropping the Baja leg from the beginning. The hurricanes in Baja, reality that many towns would be unable to take care of 16 ... oops, the group had grown from 14 ... and the fact that one members wife had a due day just after returning from Mexico, dictated a reworking of the route.

Baja was tossed ... in most people’s minds anyway. Steve still wanted to go to Baja, and kept saying he was heading for the ferry, if he ever saw the sea. I also wanted to go to Baja, but I saw it as another adventure. John was caught between us.

Revised Route ...

Day One - Presidio, Texas/Ojinaga, Chihuahua to Creel, Chihuahua
Day Two - Creel, Chihuahua to El Fuerte, Sinaloa via Batopilas, Chihuahua
Day Three - El Fuerte, Sinaloa to Témoris, Chihuahua via Huatabampo, Sonora for lunch with John’s in-laws
Day Four - Témoris, Chihuahua to Creel, Chihuahua via Urique, Chihuahua
Day Five - Bonus / Off Day
Day Six - Creel, Chihuahua to Buenaventura, Chihuahua via Basaseachic Falls
Day Seven - Buenaventura, Chihuahua to Fort Hancock, Texas
Day Eight - Fort Hancock, Texas to Presidio, Texas/Ojinaga, Chihuahua to retrieve our vehicles.

We had added a day ...

OK, I’m betting that you experienced adventure riders are still laughing at the “revised route”. It was still ambitious, but believe me, I saw it as 1000% more achievable than our original route. As we all know ... every good adventure needs a plan and most plans get tossed in the first minutes of any good adventure.

There was still hope ...

One of our additional adventurers to help us grow to 16 was the owner of Wolfman Luggage. Steve had met Eric at the Nevada Rally Experience and all of a sudden, we all developed the desire to try and buy out Eric’s entire supply of Wolfman luggage.

But that is getting things out of order ...

Intervention Two -

In early August, we organized a ride from Pandale, Texas out to Van Horn, Texas and back to act a shakedown trip. Four days and 1,100 miles with many of the group and a few other folks in beautiful Big Bend, Texas. That is always a great way to spend a long weekend.

This would not be a new adventure for many of us with the exception of Longfellow Road (all but me) and the Lost Trail (a few). In Marathon, we lost Matt, my Cajun buddy from south Louisiana and a tense couple of hours transpired before we located him. It would have been easier, but there were only a few of us capable of understanding the unique “English” he uttered, and trust me on this, none of them live in Big Bend. Ken and I located him and we backtracked in the darkness to Terlingua Ranch. This led to lesson number one ...

Lesson Number One -

Everyone needs a riding buddy that they always know the whereabouts of. We would not have lost him if one person had been responsible for him, rather than the “group”. Now I understand how mothers lose kids in the grocery store and drive off without them.

That is but the first part of the intervention, as I went down while being distracted in thought and broke my right scapula. Well, it was only 400 miles back to my truck ... let’s go ... I can hold the throttle with my hand, as long as I use my left hand to put my right hand on the throttle. This lead to lesson number two ...

Lesson Number Two -

Don’t fall down, it will hurt you.

90303786-M.jpg

Both lessons would come to haunt us later.

Stop laughing!!

The fall of 2006 was uneventful, see comments about shopping for bags above, and soon the Terlingua Dual Sport Ride preparation and execution was behind Steve, John and I. Only Thanksgiving and Christmas loomed between us and the adventure that had come to be known as MEXadventure 2007.

An Aside ...

During the Terlingua Dual Sport Ride we encountered some folks with a great deal of recent experience in Baja ...
To the casual comment about going from Mulegé, Baja California Sur to Mike’s Sky Ranch, Baja California Norte in one day, their comment was ... are you crazy?

Ok, I was feeling a bit better about the route change ...

Well, I thought I was feeling better. About 11:30 PM, the Wednesday before Christmas, I awoke with what felt like an ice pick in my right ear. Hurt does not even begin to tell the story. I had been fighting a cold about a week, but the only time I had ever experienced this was once when I was a kid. I managed to get back to sleep and awoke in the morning to find my pillowcase covered in blood and my ear crusted up with dried blood. A trip to the doctor ensued. Some of y’all may have noticed that it was a bit chillier, as everyone that knows me, knows that it would be a cold day in **** before I would go to the doc at the first sign of anything being wrong. I always wait until I can smell the rot, run out of beer, or my vacation is over, whichever comes first. She confirmed that I had messed up my ear, gave me some antibiotics and told me that I would be unable to hear and that my ear would ring for a while.

After a week of banging into walls, I realized that I had to have lights on for the visual clues, as I drifted to the right without them. I also could not tell where things are by sound and kept losing where my cell phone was. If I could not see the flashing, I could not find it. Therefore it became a permanent fixture on my hip, even around the house. I had to consider changing the ring of my phone as it was the same ring I was getting in my ear.

Stop laughing!! Wait a minute, that may actually be the ringing ... shhhhhhh ...

Day T-2

Who remembers Creep Show II?

Remember the green slime and how everyone was trying to escape it’s grip?

Well that is what “it” felt like to me.

Being self employed is great, because every now and again my boss fires me because of my attitude, and I get a few days away from work. The world was determined to not let go and my attitude was ... uhh ... I’ll leave it at bad. I get paid to drive square pegs through round holes and now “it” was beginning to feel like a game of Whack a Mole at the local Chucky Cheese Restaurant ... I needed a break ... fire me!! Are you listening?

I was only 30 minutes late getting to Mike’s house and an hour late to Gene’s house, which only left me an hour and a half late to Suzy’s house to drop off a computer. She was kind enough to agree to download all the viagra, Costa Rica land offers, penny stock offers, and “enlargement” SPAM emails on my laptop. All that to make sure the server was not so clogged as to be unable to accept the three or four emails that I might get that were important.

123096720-M.jpg

123096372-M.jpg

Only a quarter of a day behind schedule, we were finally on I-30 heading west out of the Metromess. Baker’s Ribs, in Weatherford, served up BBQ and only 3 hours of driving in the rain separated us from beds. We came in for a landing in Sweetwater, Texas, home of the WASP Museum and took up residence on the second floor of the Days Inn.

The National WASP WWII Museum

T-1

The day started early. We awoke to the sounds of working stiffs at the motel, firing up and warming up their trucks, as they prepared to face the day.

The restaurant on-site served up a free breakfast and let me assure you ... we got our monies worth! Bad, I tell you ... bad ...

Wal-Mart satisfied a small lists of oops and we were soon motoring west.

Mike ... is that an evil grin or what?

123099002-M.jpg

Gene ... normally he does not have the deer in the headlights look, but it was early

123098651-M.jpg

Everything appears to be riding nicely ...

123099906-M.jpg

We passed an upcoming renovation project I am starting in Big Spring in the spring. Midland and Odessa fell by the wayside and we turned off the interstate at Monahans to head south towards Alpine and Presidio.

While we were filling our truck and bikes with fuel Mike mentioned that a buddy was in the area scouting for property for his oil company. About that time Mike’s phone rang and it was his buddy. He was in a rent car parked about fifty feet from us. Go figure. As big as West Texas is, we both arrive at the same gas station at the same time. Introductions ensued and we chatted a while before heading back out on the road.

Coyanosa, the I10/US 67 intersection, and Alpine fell behind, as we battled the headwinds westward towards Marfa. The winds were unbelievable as they were focused by the mountains around Alpine.

Marfa served up a splash (fifty something dollars actually) of diesel, and we headed south towards Presidio. In the relative quiet of a crosswind, we were all lost in our individual thoughts about the trip. Nervous laughter remained as the only outward evidence of the upcoming test.

Bad Omen -

Somewhere along the road between Marfa and Presidio, we encountered a flock of birds on the right side of the road. As is often the unexplainable case with wildlife, they all decided that they needed to be on the left side of the road just as I appeared on their little piece of the road. Well, the last one misjudged the speed of my Silverado and committed suicide on my grill. Bummer, as I went bowling for racoons on the road to Pandale just before breaking my shoulder in August. Now I am not superstitious and walk under ladders regularly, but killing animals lost its thrill when the Army taught me how to hunt humans back in the 70's. Now I get bummed when I kill any animal and thoughts of that bird weighed on me as I passed through the ghost town of Shafter, on our way to Presidio.

Those thoughts crowded to the back of my mind as we entered Presidio. Skinny had called saying we were all going to go to Ojinaga to get our tourist visas upon our arrival. We piled in Steve and my trucks and off we went. John was running interference, as he knew Spanish. The rest of us ducklings trailed along behind him.

123111865-M.jpg

True to course, the fellow behind the desk was not behind the desk when we arrived. John had to ask around for someone to help us. Well, upon encountering a group of six of us, he felt overwhelmed about the possibility that he might have to work and sent us our way with the admonition that we could ONLY get a visa on the departure date ... yea right, but we knew better than trying to buck the system ... we would simply wait for a shift change, so ... back across the border to America we headed.

Guard: Everyone Americans here?
Us: Yup
Guard: How long you been in Mexico?
Me: About 10 minutes, we were trying to get tourist visas.
Guard: OK, you are clear to go.

Hee Hee, we waved at Steve as they had to stop because of Ian ... he is British and cannot say y’all well enough to fake out the border guard.

Copies of the emergency contact list ... I asked for 12, paid for 12, and got 15 (typical somehow), and some last minute shopping in the Dollar General and we headed back to the Three Palms Motel for a few hours before attempting to return to the border.

Ray and Bill arrived and we headed back to the border in smaller groups. Ahhh, the sweet smell of success, or was it the taco stand up the street? ... it didn’t matter, we had our visas. When I went back outside, I saw Micah in Roger’s truck and found out that Tim and Jeremy were inside getting Jeremy’s papers wrapped up.

Now the entire gang was here!!!

Only dinner and repacking remained ...

The Oasis Restaurant, right next door to the Three Palms Motel served up dinner. Then we were off to ...

Pack
Lift
Toss out and repack
Lift
Toss out and repack
Lift
Dang this bag is heavy ...

In a variation of the Peter Principal, crap carried was expanding to fill the space available. The camping gear (my security blanket) was taking up way too much space and weighed more than I wanted to carry, but this was Mexico and I refer you again to the route at the start of the thread ...

Stop laughing!!

This concludes the build-up of the trip and brings you to the first intermission. Go get a favorite beverage. From now on there will be multiple versions of this tale as others get on-line and contribute their thoughts and photos to the menagerie that came of MEXadventure 2007.

I should say HOPEFULLY they will post. Many are embarrassed to have been associated with what they consider to be a fiasco, but I accept it as a learning experience.

I learned a great deal about myself and other folks on this adventure.

General Information on the Trip

We started with 16 wanting to go, but 2 had to drop out early on, and one more two days before we left, because of an injury to his knee that was aggravated by a ski trip between Christmas and New Years.

We stood at 13 for departure ...

Bill - 400 DRZ
Gene - XT 600
Ian - 400 DRZ
Jeremy - XR650R
John - WR450
Micah - 400 DRZ
Mike - 605 ATK
Ray - XR650R
Roger - XR650L
Skinny - 610 Husky
Steve - XR650R
Tim - XR650L
Tony - XR650R (me)

Riding experience varied from almost forever (Skinny and Steve) to Ian (a few years).
Ages ranged from Skinny at the top to Jeremy. I am very near the top ...

Some had been to this part of Mexico before (John, Mike, Micah, Ray, Roger and Tim), but the rest had not.

Mike had been around the world and I hear that experience became a true asset.

Stop laughing!!

Day One - Friday
Blastoff!
January 5, 2007 had arrived

8:30ish, we headed south towards and across the border. Along the way, we topped off our tanks at the Presidio 66 station as Villa Aldama, Chihuahua was a ways away.

We stopped almost immediately and exchanged some bucks for pesos. 10.1:1 was not too bad, considering we could see the border, if we turned around. The official exchange rate of the Pemex stations was 9:1, so we were doing better than that.

Since 10.1:1 is real close to 10:1 and my math skills are somewhat limited after a beer, I hung my hat on 10:1. I figuring all I needed to do was drop the final zero to decide the value of something. Close enough for horse shoes, hand grenades and atom bombs, and in this case, all my purchases in Mexico.

Well Ojinaga was, is and likely, will always be, under construction, at least the road out to the toll road is, so we wondered about. Seeing your folks going left and right across your direction of travel became suggestive of our ability to travel together for the balance of the trip. We gradually broke up into a fast group and a slower group. I will not say slow, because we were still fast, but we were not ripping up the asphalt. I have seen many adventures ruined in the first rush to adventure in my many years in the wilderness, and was determined to keep the pace sane, as Creel was WAY over the horizon.

At the intersection of the toll road and Chih 67, we encountered the first military checkpoint. We had passed through the Aduana Station just moments before, but the military was there for drugs, not tourists, so we were waved through.

On Chih 67

123161675-M.jpg

Kicking it up a notch, we motored southward across the plains (mesa?) of northern Chihuahua.

123162047-M.jpg

An aside ...

For those of you following along on the map, the toll road roughly parallels the railroad tracks that loop-de-loops southward out of Ojinaga towards Chihuahua.

Back to the story ...

Tradition dictates that when you lose sight of the person behind you, you slow down. Tim slowed down and I slowed down as I was in front of him. With the leader trying to run 70, it is hard for the guys at the end of the whip to keep up. Gene was on a XT 600 and the jetting was a bit off, so 55 was about it, before it would cough and sputter. We stopped and gathered all the quail back up, only to discover that a couple of folks had been tied up in a turn/no turn scenario at the military checkpoint and only the friendly gesture by the guards got them on the right road ...

See Lesson Number One -

That one had fallen apart all too quickly. Oh well, the fast group tore off again and the rest of us followed.

We caught up (at least momentarily) at the toll booth ... 34 pesos please ...

And in the middle of nowhere ...

123163438-M.jpg

This is a test ... how many dollars, using my simplified math? If you said $3.40, go get a favorite beverage.

We stopped for a baño break ... la cerca served this role.

Outside of Villa Aldama, we all begin the process of going from main to reserve. My bike ran out at the worst possible time. A truck was behind me, there was a sharp drop off on the shoulder that disappeared into brambles so thick I would have been lost and the grade was up hill ... couple that with gloves too thick to flip the lever and I came to a halt. The guys behind me stopped, the truck honked and passed us like a getto cruiser through a toll booth, and I got the lever flipped ... the sounds of Willie Nelson wafted through my brain as I heard the XR fire back to life ... on the road again.

Gene coasted to a stop in front of me. I gave him a Primus bottle full of fuel and he poured fuel in his gas tank, as he had already used his bottle. I laid my bike over with his help and we were off into town. The Pemex filled us up and we soon gathered about. As the first group was no where in sight, Roger asked if my GPS could get us through town. I said it could and we headed out on the by pass around Villa Aldama.

An aside ...

If you are concerned about gas and cannot go 130~140 miles on a tank, do not use the toll road or carry gas between Ojinaga and Villa Aldama. That would be the only time we needed to worry, but there is little to nothing out there. Also, the Pemex Station is in the heart of Villa Aldama, so follow “Business” Chih 16 into town. There is a new Pemex just past where the bypass and the old route come back together, but it is 5 pesos for the baños there. We just went in together. It was a two (dos) holer.

Back to the story ...

Where the bypass and the old route reconnected, we ran into the rest of the gang. Unfortunately, they fired up and took off just as we arrived. John dropped something (which turned out to be a Leatherman) and by the time I had picked it up and tucked it safely away, the fast group was over the horizon. Not to worry, we could get there in time.

123162420-M.jpg

123162420-M.jpg

An aside ...

Coming into Chihuahua, I was struck by the roadside architecture. Similar to many of the buildings in the arid southwest US, they harkened back to the 30's, 40's and 50's, when automobile travel was king. Did I mention that I am a historic preservation architect? I was chewing on this like a dog with a fresh cut of prime steak.

Back to the story ...

Gene and I were WAY behind. Try as we might, we could not get through the traffic. Even lane splitting would not work on this road, as the no man’s land where the stripes reside was 6~8 inches above the roadbed in many places, which is not conducive to passing when trucks are on both sides.

I saw the left turn for the airport and vaguely remembered it in the instructions. The waving arms of one other adventurers made me feel a bit better about the decision as he awaited us on the far side of the turn. Unfortunately, he took off as the light turned green and we had two large trucks we could not get around because of the road width. The trucks lumbered along at maybe 20 MPH, so we simply fell farther behind. At least Gene’s jetting was not hindering our forward progress, only two vastly overloaded dump trucks.

Finally getting around them, I spotted the guys again and the chase was on. I will be mercifully brief about the balance of the process of getting through Chihuahua as I would probably start cussing anyway. Just suffice it to say that Chihuahua finally spit us out on Chih 16 and we continued towards Creel.

Lunch was served a Pemex station on the south side of Chihuahua accompanied by the bump and grind of a couple of late teenage girls dancing to the sound emanating from their third world brief case. This was the first time all 13 of us had been in the same timeslot, except for a few brief moments, since leaving Ojinaga.

123116818-M.jpg

123117081-M.jpg

123117346-M.jpg

123117678-M.jpg

123117930-M.jpg

Everyone mounted up and the groups split up again. John waited as my XR was being cranky (altitude?) and would not start. Finally it started ... and off we roared. I could see the tail end of the second group of riders in the distance so I wicked it up in hunt of a rear knobby, feeling certain that John was doing the same. The traffic was crowded ... think 635 around Dallas, 610 around Houston ... so the focus was on not becoming a statistic. Did I mention the wind? Well the hills perpendicular to the road were playing weird tricks with the wind. If you were next to a cut, the wind was from the left and you leaned that way. Cross into the valley between hills and the wind was from the right, so lean right. Over and over, up the wall of the mountain to the mesa above. Every now and again I attempted to look for John in my rear view mirror, but because of concentrating on the wind I was at the top near an obelisk, before I felt comfortable to stop.

John did not appear and I was sitting in the middle of nowhere. I was comfortable that the group had stopped as well, but I didn’t know how far ahead they were. With the knowledge that the roadbed split north and southbound lanes, I didn’t feel comfortable going back, for fear of passing John without being able to see him. So ... I went on and in about five miles, I found the balance of the second group. They told me that the fast group was on the road to Creel. It was decided that we would send folks back at one minute intervals in case someone saw John and the folks in front had missed him. If you lost the guy behind you, you were to assume that John had been found. Complicated, perhaps, but in the heat of the battle, it seemed like the best plan.

Micah, Ray and Mike headed back ... Micah returned, no luck ... Ray returned, John had been located. We headed back, again at 1 minute intervals in case Mike and John got back on the road and missed us.

To make a long story short, John’s saga had started with a flat, then a pinched tube and by the time we found him, he was borrowed a wrench from Micah and was cleaning sand from his float bowl. Well, getting the slower herd of cats (plus 1) together and back on the road in the same timeslot had set us back about 2 to 2 1/2 hours, if I remember correctly.

Cuauhtemoc was the next town and we had a police escort through town. Well sort of anyway. He was going the same direction we were and he/we all diligently waved and grinned as we passed him.

Oops, where is Hoop? His bike had stalled at a light and we stopped as soon as we found a safe spot out of traffic. It was right in front of a shop that sold boiled squash. How is that for a specialty?

Squash Cooker

123118933-M.jpg

Mike, while waiting on Hoop ...

123118164-M.jpg

Hoop soon reappeared and we headed towards the edge of town in search of a Pemex. Sure enough, right on Chih 16 stood a modern “self service” Pemex. Attendants were scurrying about taking the pesos. Soon we were back on the road and heading west now on Chih 16 towards Adolfo López Mateos. The road was a complete mess and all you could do is follow the rhythm of the traffic as it appears to be as bad as “rush hour” in America.

123118419-M.jpg

Dos chica with “Cowgirl Up” on the back window of their Silverado and a death wish, made us look like good drivers as they rushed headlong into the future, oblivious to the fact that they skirted death almost constantly. Crosses lined the road in some areas and shrines appears to be placed at the more deadly areas. They should have noticed, but they were busy with makeup ...

In any case, the sun went down, or at least it did on my GPS, so this means we pull over, correct? We have always been told that you don’t drive in Mexico after dark, so we are going to stop, correct? Naw ... we slogged on.

Did I mention the fact that we had not reached the junction of Chih 16 and the road to Creel? We finally turned south and after the sun went down, entered the twisties. Holy Chihuahua, this road had more curves than all the girls in Chihuahua. Most were covered in water that was diligently trying to become ice.

An aside ...

After arriving in Creel, everyone talked of the fires along the edge of the road for people to stop and warm themselves besides ... who in the **** had time to look at anything other than the lines on the highway? Are these super humans I ride with? But I digress ...

Back to the story ...

Cloaked in darkness, the world shrinks to the width of my Baja Designs (unpaid advertising) headlight and the pinpoint of the tail light of John’s bike in front of me. This is beyond nuts, but for a while we have a Nissan Pickup running a blocking pattern for a bunch of broken field runners. Then the yoyo at the front of our pack passed the Nissan!!!! Now, we are going it alone leaving our blocking cover behind. Nuts I tell you, completely nuts!

Oops there is a sign for topes. Kawump I should have stood up ... there goes a church on the right. Say a prayer for me Padre, I don’t have time to stop ... Oh lord, was that a beer barn? Clearly, THAT fellow used to live in Texas. I have seen it all ...

Whoops, there is a car in my lane going slow ... screw the traffic laws ... what traffic laws ... pass that sucker ... the tail light is getting smaller ...

Finally I see the sign that says ... Creel 7.5 Km ... OK, with nothing else to do, I tried to figure out how far that was ... let’s see ... 1 Km = 0.62 miles (approximately for those of y’all that really care) , so if I round it off at 0.6, so that means 0.1 = 0.75 miles, so 7.5 Km should be about 4.5 miles ...

OK, how that I had finally figured out that bit of trivia, can SOMEONE please tell me why I had not ridden 4.5 miles by that time and FOUND Creel! Things were getting nuts! Did I mention the cold? Maybe that is why the 7.5 Km, felt like 75 Km.

Holy Honda there Batman, I think I see lights. We gather at the edge of town and head into the middle of the fray. One wrong turn and we found Casa Margarita’s. I could have kissed the ground, but it was covered with ice and dirt. Actually there was ice and dirt everywhere. I learned that it snowed recently for the first time in a long time and no one could remember the last time it snowed that much.

An aside ...

My mother is laughing right now, the Eeds curse is alive and well. When she was alive, she said that all someone had to do to break a drought is to invite us there on vacation. Oops, maybe I should not have mentioned that ...

Back to the story ...

Casa Margarita’s was serving dinner when we arrived and we dumped our gear and quickly joined the gang for dinner. We drank the place dry of Sol and had to move on to wine and their namesake drink ... margaritas.

Beer goggles

123120289-M.jpg

Skinny and Mike

123120693-M.jpg

Steve and Roger

123121020-M.jpg

My dinner ... yum

123121378-M.jpg

The entire gang, except for the ones that were missing ... uhhhh ...

123121746-M.jpg

Dinner behind us, sleep came quickly. Hopefully tomorrow everyone will calm down a bit and we can get back on track.

Today’s route almost proved to be more than we could achieve. The fast group made Creel about 5:30 PM, while the rest of us came in around 8:00 PM.

Stop laughing!!

Wow, great write up! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am one of the guys who really looking for the report, but it looks a lot more than expected!
As I read slow, I would need several days to finish reading them all with regular speed. You know, I will just print this thread and read in my spare time!

Thank you all for sharing!
Ken

Ken:

You might want to wait a few days ... this could get epic ... only two of us have posted so far and I have 5 more days to post myself. :trust:

Before I go a bit farther into the report, I want to recommend that anyone considering going to Creel consider staying with

Hotel Plaza Mexicana Margarita
Zona Centro Creel, Chihuahua, Mexico
Tel./Fax. (635) 456-02-45, 456-01-08
hotelesmargaritas@hotmail.com
http://www.hoteles-margaritas.com - I could not get it to come up ...

123182302-M.jpg

Nice and affordable accomodations, that include breakfast and supper in the price of the room. Hot water and heat in every room.

Caesar speaks very good English, which can be a real plus in certain situations.

In addition, they have hotels in two other towns nearby, Batopilas and (help me out Tim, Roger, Gene, Mike) ...

Type in Margaritas and Creel in Google and you will get pages of links to reviews.

The two other hotels are in Batopilas and in Cerocahui just outside of town.
All three hotels are incredible. Here are some of the pics of the hotel on Cerocahui

The lodge room
123316085-L.jpg

the dining area
123316146-M.jpg

the room
123316287-M.jpg

the view in incredible, sorry but this does not do it justice
123316260-M.jpg

Like Tony said, Cesar is the owner along with his mother. In 2003 they took care of Micah, Roger and I. This year they really took care of us. Anything you need Cesar will get. As a matter of fact the next time we go we are taking another bike and he is going to be our guide to places most people never see.

Give me some time the "Girls" report is being written and will be posted shortly!!!

What a great way to spend a cold rainy morning & I mean ALL morning. :clap: :eek2:
Stories are just starting I know, but they'll have to wait 'til I get back from the MLK day parade in downtown Houston. :lol2::giveup:

I'll be back with :popcorn: :chug:

I recived Mike's version of the story in person over dinner and after reading Gene's version it sounds like Mike didn't lie too much;-) . A great trip with a good bunch of guys. I am glad the 6+2 were able to have an adventure and keep it fun.

Day 1………………………….Nope, lets go back a few months. Several months back while sitting around with a great group of riders in Broken Bow, Ok. Mention was made of a Copper Canyon/Baja trip. Since myself and teamswaney had already been in 2003 and irondog had been there a couple of different times along with XR650rocketman racing the Baja 1000 it would seem to be the makings of a Great ride. Discussions started along with e-mails and threads here on TWTexans.

Problem 1. I needed to get another bike because I did not want to ride my WR450 in Mexico. I tell Roger that I want another XR650L before I go. As usual he grins when I tell him because he tried to get me to keep the last one I had. One thing you learn about the Swaney brothers a short time after you meet them is that they are true to their word and they are ALWAYS right. Like the good friend Roger is, while I am on the family vacation in July he comes across a great deal on an XR650L and he buys it for me before he even asks me if I want it. I won’t go into the details but it was a deal that could not be passed up.

Here is the bike the day I brought it home.
6504.jpg

Here was the finished product on the trip
123315594-M.jpg

Problem 2. Suddenly people started jumping onboard by posting threads that started out like this, “I have always wanted to go to Mexico, what type of bike would you recommend for the first time dualsporter”. I suddenly realized we may have made a horrible mistake. I called Rocketman and teeds and made my concerns known. They agreed and eventually a limit on the number of folks was made along with the qualifications needed for the trip.

Problem 3. A few weeks after the initial planning started I read the routes that irondog had prepared. The 1st day was over 300 miles. That was not a big deal because I had ridden that way before and I knew that it was mostly or all blacktop. But then it got worse I did not think that the routes were possible.Don’t get me wrong I like riding but if I am going to Mexico I want to go to Mexico and have a good time along with riding. My idea of riding is about 5 to 6 hours a day with plenty of time for Cerveza and to handle problems that may occur. Anyway I made my concerns known to teeds and to the group I was going with which was teamswaney(Roger) along with his brother Jeremy and another buddy that I went with in 2003, Micah.

Jeremy, Roger, Micah and I have been on numerous trips together and we normally think along the same lines. When we are not on the same lines it is usually me that is a little off, but the Doctors are working with me on that.:lol2: Anyway we ride well together and we know each other very well. After telling them the routes Roger agreed and thought that the routes were too much but we decided to see how things went.

Okay, Pre Day 1, or the night before.
All 13 of us are eating dinner at the restaurant next to the Three Palms Inn in Presidio, Texas. John and Steve say that we are crossing the border at 8:00 am sharp.

Day 1 Presidio to Creel

My group, later to be known as the Sweep Riders or as Gene has named, "Uncle Rogers Group” was waiting at 8:00am outside of Steve and teeds room ready to pull out. As teeds already pointed out with that many folks nothing will go as planned.
At about 8:30am we leave and while some of the guys stop for gas my group exchanges our money for pesos and wait. We finally pull out with the entire group and the fiasco begins. At one time I watched four bikes cross the same intersection going all different directions. WOW it was cartoonish.:rider: We finally make it to the toll road and are headed off.

After about 15 miles irondog pulls over because the GPS was not agreeing with the way we were headed. After some discussion we decide that we are on the right track. Everyone pulls off except for Gene and Mike(billyji). Micah and I stop because we never leave people behind. Mike is trying to adjust his gear bags it appears and he waves for us to go, so we do. After about 10 miles I stop and wait, and wait, and wait and nothing. I suddenly realize that I am by myself and I got an uneasy feeling. I started my bike and took off trying to catch the group. A little while later I catch up and pull up in front to get everyone to stop. Everyone stops and some rules of trail/riding adequate are explained. While that discussion is going on Mike and Gene pull up. Once back together we take off again.

I will skip to the end of day 1 because that has already been covered by teeds and Gene.

After arriving at Margaritas and having dinner Roger, Jeremy, Micah and I had a discussion about day 1. I guess the riding at night on icy Mexico roads was the main thing that pushed us over the edge. We decided as a group that we were going to part ways with the main group and go our separate way. Before it is all said and done Gene and Mike have joined our group and we have discussed the plans for the rest of the trip.

Now teeds can refer to the groups as the “Fast Group” and the “Slow Group” but it really comes down to the group that helps/waits on riders and the group that keeps blazing the trail. That is where the name Sweep Riders comes from.

Day 2. Creel to Batopilas

Before breakfast I tell Steve that we are going to split from the group. He thinks that it is a good idea because 13 people trying to stay together is really difficult. After breakfast we all saddle up and head out. In our group is teamswaney which includes his brother Jeremy, tx246(Gene), billyji(Mike), Micah and myself. As few miles after you leave Creel on the left side of the road is a beautiful lake. We stop and take a few pics.
123123310-M.jpg

We buy a few things from the Indian children and then give them some candy to contribute to their tooth decay.
123123599-M.jpg

We then head out and attack the twisties for the next 20+ miles. They are great except for the ice that is still hidden in the shaded areas.
This is not a good photo of the twisties but it does show how good the roads are.
123124353-M.jpg

Here is a photo of Uncle Rogers group except for me I am taking the pic. From left to right.
Mike, Jeremy, Roger, Gene and Micah.
123124931-M.jpg

When we hit Samachique we stop at the little store and Roger buys all the folks standing around a Coke. Some people really don’t know what to think of us white guys but they take the Cokes and watch us really close. We then leave and hit the dirt. Between the ice, snow, rock and water puddles we have a good time in the woods. A few miles in we see the first view of the Canyon. This is the picture I am sure you have seen in every Copper Canyon ride report.
123125620-M.jpg

123127123-M.jpg

We head down into the canyon. On the way down we catch up to a truck that is a few switchbacks below us. With Jeremy leading we will soon pass it. Due to the fact that Jeremy has grown up with motorcycles, gocarts, snowmobiles and lawnmowers that do wheelies I put him in with the top three best riders that I know. Being the guy that is always looking for the challenging ride he spots a shortcut between two switchbacks and he drops off. Like good little Indians we all follow. What we did not know was at the bottom the shortcut drops off about 4 feet directly into a ditch. By the time you realize it you cannot stop so, “Gas On It”. I hit so hard that my front forks and my rear shock bottom out. OUCH! Oh well we get by the truck. And on to the Bridge just before La Buffa.

123127265-M.jpg

A few minutes after crossing the bridge and passing La Buffa we come across teeds who is just standing on the road next to his bike. We all stop and he tells us that he wrecked and has been trying to get his bike up for the last 20 minutes. I wish I had a photo but I don’t so let me paint the picture. Remember CannonBall Run where Chief biker rode a wheelie the entire race. Well that is what teeds should have been doing. He had 250lbs of gear on a Wolfman bag attached to a Pro Moto Billet Rack. Teeds had to use two straps as a shoulder harness to get the bike up. When Jeremy heard that he jumped on the bike and started it right up. Teeds said that he thought that he hurt his knee pretty good. About 30 minutes later we arrive in Batoplilas and start looking for Reynas Restaurant. When we find it she is closed but her sister/ sister in law looks out the window and she tells us that we needed to go back to Reynas house if we want to eat. We were then escorted back through town to Reynas house where we go inside for dinner. Man She Can Cook! Roger, Micah and I met her on the last trip and now we will always give her our business. After dinner we went to get gas and back to the hotel which is another one in the Margarita Hotel Chain.
123128759-M.jpg

We unloaded the bikes and decided to go back to town and see if the silver shop was open to buy the wives some silver. While there we decide to find a little cantina and have a few.

123127935-M.jpg

Here is the street in front of the silver shop.
123127606-M.jpg

I cannot remember when but we find the other group and we find out that Skinny has had a major problem with the electonics on his bike and that he cannot continue. That makes two out in their group.

After leaving the Cantina we head to the hotel again where we continue with the Cerveza. Refer to tx246 report here. It was kind of foggy. At some point during that night there was some sneaky stuff involving the shower and my digital camera. I was involved in the photos but I was not aware that I was. Get the picture:eek2:

Day 3 Batopilas to Sativo to Creel

We leave the hotel and head to Sativo to the Lost Cathedral. It is only a few miles down river and if you are in Batopilas make sure you go to it.
123314243-M.jpg

123314198-M.jpg

123314274-M.jpg

Here is a HeadStone in the floor of the church. There were more but this is a good photo that you can actually read the writing.
123314334-M.jpg

After leaving the church we head out of Batopilas and back out of the canyon. As you have read we had and accident with Micahs bike. It would not have happened if Roger had not loaded Micah down with all of his tools after Rogers rack broke but that is in the past and we need not dwell or over analyze.:lol2: Her is a photo of our Guardian Cocaine Angel and his truck. He is the one with the hat.
123314510-M.jpg

After loading the bike we go ahead to wait on the truck.
Here is a sample of the road before you get to the canyon.
123314830-M.jpg

After getting the bike out of one truck we loaded it in another and off to Creel we go for more Cerveza. After arriving back at Margaritas Jeremy starts trying to piece the water pump cover back together while Greasemonkey is contacted along with Micah’s wife who ends up shipping the waterpump cover off of Greasemonkey’s DRZ to Chihuahua. What a DAY!

Day 4 Creel to the Falls

Out plans for day 4 before the waterpump incident was to head to Urique but now that Micah was out we thought it best to stick around Creel so we discussed heading to the falls. Before that we talk to Cesar and asked him if he could arrainge for a truck to go to Batopilas and pick up Skinny and teeds. Cesar called Hotel Mary in Batopilas and found out that they had already left and were headed to Creel in a truck. We then discussed Cesar taking both riders and bikes back to Presidio. Even though teeds and Skinny were not “In out group” we were not going to leave them hanging trying to figure out what to do.
We decided to wait around until they arrived and then go to the falls so we went shopping around town for suveniers and we also paid out Visa fee.
After teeds and Skinny arrived and they got settled in we left. Micah wanted to go with us but he decided to let Skinny take teeds bike because the trip for him was already shot and it would probably be his last chance to see anything. Skinny, Roger, Jeremy, Gene and I then left and headed to the falls where we encountered the deepest snow yet. It was beautiful and fun.

Jeremy Roger and I
123314900-M.jpg

Skinny on Mike’s bike
123314960-M.jpg

Jeremy and Gene. Yes that is hard packed ICE they are standing on:rider:
123314991-M.jpg

Some of the views before you reach the falls
123315026-M.jpg

123315085-M.jpg

We thought that we were getting close to the falls when we found a truck with two guys drinking cerveza parked on the road. Mike being the billingual asset he is finds out that it is another 30+ miles to the falls and we are running out of daylight. After a brief discussion we decide to race back to Creel and visit the falls on the way out of town when we head for the border.

The road to the falls is being prepped for blacktop and it made for an incredible ride back. The speeds were fast and fun.

Great trip report, I am always amazed at the quality of the writing and pics in these reports. Great job!!

OK, back to the ride reports.......:popcorn:

Day Two - Saturday
January 6, 2007

The morning dawned early. I am usually up by 4:30ish Texas time and with us being on Mountain time, I easily got up before everyone.

Breakfast was great and we were soon putting gear back on our bikes.

123181838-M.jpg

123183406-M.jpg

The clouds of yesterday were but an memory. Today promised to be a great day for riding.

I should have picked this method of riding ...

123183845-M.jpg

Ice was everywhere ...

123184444-M.jpg

Jeremy and Roger aka teamswaney

123185755-M.jpg

The 75 Km to the turn off for Batopilas proved to be an exhilarating ribbon of asphalt. Rising to a high of about 7,500 ft, it required that I baby the throttle a bit, as the XR would complain now and again of the thin air. The shadows had created some icy spots and they were usually found in corners. Not a big problem all in all, but they kept us alert.

Skinny

123188894-M.jpg

Our surroundings on the pavement to the cutoff

123189527-M.jpg

123191979-M.jpg

Just before the Batopilas cutoff, we passed a newish Pemex station. Didn’t stop, but did note the location for future reference ... A quick gathering of the group and we tore off towards Batopilas. Today I was with the fast group and we quickly strung out along the road. I was not really worried, as my GPS showed the road and I had a map for backup. We reached the top edge of the actual canyon after a while and stopped for photos. From there on, I had ever intent of stopping every time the mood struck me. The other group was behind me and I intended to enjoy the day.

The cutoff

123192479-M.jpg

The classic shot ... there should be tripod holes

123192947-M.jpg

123193899-M.jpg

123196481-M.jpg

123198789-M.jpg

John on the road ... see him?

123198213-M.jpg

John with some other inhabitants on the road

123199827-M.jpg

The trip into the canyon was everything it was advertised to be. Beautiful beyond compare, we wound down La Bufa Canyon, clinging to the edge of the mountain on roads that varied from a lane to a lane and a half wide. Donkeys grazed peacefully along the road, seemingly oblivious to our passing.

That thin white line is the road ...

123200873-M.jpg

The bridge ... see the Chicken Bus?

123202232-M.jpg

Let’s play find the bridge ... sure make one feel small, doesn’t it?

123203367-M.jpg

More locals ...

123204007-M.jpg

Soon we reached the bottom of the canyon and the bridge across Rio Batopilas. Situated almost at the midpoint of the journey, now we found ourselves on the south side of the canyon.

Looking NE up the Rio Batopilas

123206347-M.jpg

The sun had come up strong and with the decending elevation, I found myself struggling to understand the venting system on my new Belstaff jacket. It had done a great job yesterday keeping the cold out and with all the zippers, I should be able to stay cool ... assuming I could figure it out. Defeated by the jacket, I simply unzipped the front. Being distracted by the jacket would soon bite me in the buns.

Stopping on what appeared to be a large scree pile at La Bufa, we took a group photo and we are soon motoring on towards Batopilas.

123242070-M.jpg

Skinny talking with a gringo that has lived in La Bufa for a long time ...

123242669-M.jpg

123243040-M.jpg

Rounding a simple left hand downhill corner, my rear end broke lose and the next thing I know I fishtail and am heading directly towards the edge of the road and a LARGE drop off. I manage to lowside the bike and come to a halt just shy of the edge of the road.

Whew, that was close ...

123245056-M.jpg

I jump up and start waving my arms at the other six riders, but they don’t see me from the other side of the canyon and I am soon alone in the quiet of the canyon.

I slip up under the bike and turn off the gas. Now to check out the balance of the bike and me ...

My right knee aches. Apparently I twisted it when I laid the bike down. Not to worry, it does not appear bad.

The right handguard has twisted off and broken at the inner mount, but it did its’ job and saved the master cylinder and brake lever.

I unload the gear bag and tool bag off the back and upright the bike. Just after getting the gear strapped back on the bike and now feeling the pain of my knee, wondering how I was going to start the pig, group two (then and there dubbed the sweep riders) pull up. Jeremy jumps off his R and soon has mine running, as he knows the drill.

From fall to restart consumes maybe 20~30 minutes of sunshine ...

Back on the bike, we motor on towards Batopilas.

I even manage to fire off a couple of photos along the way.

123245542-M.jpg

I pass Steve coming back to look for me after a bit and give him a half *** thumps up. The knee now hurts pretty bad. Soon John appears on the edge of the road and I muddle on. The sign for Batopilas is a sight for sore eyes and Steve heads off into the dust of the Chicken Bus as I pass the Hotel Margarita.

Perched on the side of a rock cliff, the hotel proves to be the most stunning architecture in town. I wish now that I had stopped to take some photographs, but alas, that will have to wait for the next trip ... soon ...

Meandering along the edge of the canyon just above the river, I soon come to a bridge that deposits us back on the north side of the canyon and into Batopilas proper. Just after the bridge John passes me, so I guessed I was going the correct direction. A few wrong turns and I manage to lead myself and someone (I’ve forgotten who shadowed me) to the main plaza, where I find other bikes parked. The town is strung out about a mile (or so) along the edge of the river. Never more than a few blocks wide, Batopilas reminds me of the colonial cities of Central America. Indeed, Batopilas was a important mining concern for the Spanish. Antigua is very similar to Batopilas in feel and architecture. I “heard” that buildings in Batopilas have to be historical in appearance. Bravo!!

Upon arrival, I learned that they are working on Skinny’s Husky. It died when he tried to plug in his GPS and there appears to be no spark. They are searching for fuses as Steve, John, and Ian walk and I hobble to a nearby restaurant to discuss the future for the day.

Ian, Steve and John

123249105-M.jpg

The Patio 5o Restaurant

123249536-M.jpg

While we discuss, I learn that the sweep riders have officially decided to break off and do a slower paced sightseeing trip and hook back up at Fort Hancock. Although the change appears to be common knowledge to others, my general lack of attentiveness and bad ear has left me lost in my own thoughts and world for much of the trip.

In that it is already 2:00 PM and as the sun sets early in the canyon, it was decided that Batopilas would be a stopping point, rather than pushing on to El Fuerte. John heads off to call Lupita and tell her the news, as we had scheduled to be at his in-laws in Huatabampo at noon on Sunday. With El Fuerte a long way over the horizon, it appeared to be unlikely that anyone could make Huatabampo by noon Sunday ...

As mentioned, the ride had officially broken into two groups. We stayed at Hotel Mary, while Tim, Roger and the gang were bedding down at Margarita’s. We crossed paths later in the evening at the doorway to the El Zaguán Restaurante Bar, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Hotel Mary

123282427-M.jpg

Parking ...

123258694-M.jpg

It appears that Skinny is down for the count. I am still hoping, but my knee doesn’t feel all that great. Thank God for my Asterisk braces. Without them, I might have been carrying my lower leg and been in far worse pain.

Stop laughing!!

(To be continued)

Back