• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DS Ride 01/28/2007 Montgomery to Indep.

Reaction score
First Name
James
Last Name
Cain
Well I made it home to soak (thaw) in a tub of hot water. My camera must have fried after shooting that picture of Bryan:rofl:

See more pictures a few posts down.

Attachments

• mudhole.jpg
    mudhole.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 194
  • bryan.jpg
    bryan.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 193
  • mudhole2.jpg
    mudhole2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 190
  • start2.jpg
    start2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 194
  • start1.jpg
    start1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 191
Had a blast today fellas! Even if it was a little chilly, the weather overall was still beautiful....

I think I tweaked the knee a little in the get off in the mud bog...not too bad though I will live to fall another day....The hot tub and a cold beer never felt so good...LOL

Big Thanks to Bryan for leading the ride today, great route, great lead.

Same here, thanks Bryan and Scott for leading. Nice route, next time we need to finish the loop. It was nice meeting everyone, some for the second time.

Did you all make the full loop? :giveup: I had to get off at 110 miles (west of Madisonville) and make a dash to a social with the wife.

Attachments

• 1374a.jpg
    1374a.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 1374.jpg
    1374.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 192
  • stop.jpg
    stop.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 190
  • mudhole3.jpg
    mudhole3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 193
No, we broke it off after Iola, the daylight was fading and it was getting colder.....

thanks for an excellent Sunday ride.
This was my first dual sport ride, so I learned alot of items to add to my DR. The first being a larger fuel tank. Great route, we really cut the forest up.
I appreicated the sweep rider and the rider director at each of the turns.
It was a cool ride - When is the next ride?
Lynn Fite
The Woodlands
Dragon 6
96 900 Ducati
03 ST4S Ducati
03 749S Ducati
05 Triumph Tier
96 DR 650

Great ride y'all! :rider: It is a good thing we cut it off when we did. I got home after 6 & the sun was down. When I left Tim at 1488 & 2978 the sun was starting to disappear behind the trees; it got very cold instantly. Thanks, Brian for all the dirt roads, :thumb: I know you did not have any dust, but us behind did have a little even with all the rain. Yesterday was certainly a good day for a large group on dirt roads. Glad it was not June.

Nice meeting folks and the ride was good.Next time I think we could do the whole thing.Springs got to be coming sooner or later.My toes are still cold.

Did anyone hear from Larry or Buddy as to whether or not he was able to get his flat fixed and get out of there???

My hands are still cold.....I might have to invest in some heated grips. It was good meeting and riding with everyone, it was a nice ride. We almost made it to the Navasota River but ran down to Hands Across the Border in Bedias for some grub and gas(I had the chili :trust:) which was quite tasty. The lady that owns the place is always so tickled when we show up even though I tracked mud all over the fine establishment :doh:. When we get longer day's we should be able to do the big loop which would have kept going on up to Caldwell and down to Independence and back to Montgomery.
I did loose a lower sub frame bolt somewhere out there on one of those fine smooth roads so it is time to check everything and get some more lock-tight.
I was only able to snap a few pic's.

The gathering at BB in Montgomery.

DSride1-28-07002.jpg

DSride1-28-07003.jpg

DSride1-28-07004.jpg

Hitting the paved road over to the SHNF fire road near Lake Stubblefield

DSride1-28-07005.jpg

DSride1-28-07010.jpg

Here is my track..I did 240 miles round trip and it was nice to get back and take a hot shower.

ds1-28-07.jpg

Thank you Tumper for suggesting the ride!
Thank you Bryan & Scott for the planning and leading!

Here are some pictures I took;

Morning, a little cold, but fine day. More people came than I originally expected, which is good!
1.jpg

After a little run, even more people joined. i had "This gonna be a great run!" kinda feeling.
2.jpg

The famous jeep road with a little muddy condition. Today's highlight!
3.jpg

A good size tree broken down and was completely blocking the way. Good thing we had several "Hercules"s in the party.
4.jpg

Was it Larry? Got flat. Hope you had good time after that...
5.jpg

Some folks realized that I was trying the helmet cam. This is how it turned out... We did a lot of D/S ride like this! (Hope the movie get uploaded OK...)
watch

And of course, we stopped at the Bedias restaurant for late lunch. Was it around 3:00PM?
7.jpg

It was great run! We returned to 105 & 149 directly from the restaurant. This was the coldest section for me.

Last pic. Tim was trying on my bike. Did you say DR would be the best bike for me? Yes, I know DR is the best bike for most riders;-) .
8.jpg

It was fun! Let's do more soon!

Thanks!
Ken

Texas Dr said:
Last pic. Tim was trying on my bike. Did you say DR would be the best bike for me? Yes, I know DR is the best bike for most riders;-) .
8.jpg

It was fun! Let's do more soon!

Thanks!
Ken

I really like your bike, I am trying to get teeds to consider it because it is so short yet it is still a 650. Nice bike.

Ken that makes me dizzy,think you need a tripod for your head:lol2: .Pretty neat though.You guys check out Brians paint job,that's cool,always wanted an alternative to replacing panels,plus its stealth..Would like to try and do this in a few weeks,maybe start in the SHNF[cut out 15-20mi of road],gas stop in madisonville[food?],and boogey children.Still think it will be rough but I think its' fun to push alittle.

ta2240 said:
I really like your bike, I am trying to get teeds to consider it because it is so short yet it is still a 650. Nice bike.

Really? Thank you!

Tony,
If you are serious about DR650, you are more than welcome to try mine.

Ken

GREASEMONKEY said:
Ken that makes me dizzy,think you need a tripod for your head:lol2: .

I forgot to warn you all about it... Skill is required to take good helmet cam, which I do not have...

Here is another one from handle bar mount.
watch

Ken

Looks like it was a good one, wish I would've made it. So where's the jeep road and how long is it?:trust:

Other than the mud, would you guys consider this a decent route for Stroms and beginner offroaders?

The dirt road may be a mile long if that and a plus for me.It seems a little slippery for some of the big bikes with less aggressive tires.While I seem to be a glutton for punishment most of the roads were not bad and very little mud .Real good d/s route for any ability and probably some dirt savvy on an adventure bike would be needed.This is just my take and being a dirt guy my opinion may be off.
By the way the dirt[mud] cut can be bypassed .

Hey Ken I loved the videos, I like the handle bar mount the best. Squeaky I sent you a PM on the route, when are you all thinking about giving it a shot?

Tumper said:
I smell another ride brewing......

Well, you probably smell it but you may not want to ride it at the pace I'm thinking we'll need.

Put it this way - I'd be the most experienced DS rider in the group. :giveup:

Man.....just missed your run. Myself and a buddy of mine left out of Outlaw Trax around 2pm Sunday for a short 70 mile ride around SHNF. This was my first run on the 650r since converting to DS and had a blast. Got back Around 4 pm and it was starting to get alittle cold for my riding buddy. Looks like ya'll had great run.

Another R in the group,cool.I'm out numbered as it is.Squeaky, are you thinkin of pickin up the pace:trust:

Back