• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Desert Expedition 2007

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
The Desert Expedition 2007​

I was looking at one of my Mexico maps a while back and began wondering if one could travel west across Mexico from Del Rio, TX to get to Big Bend. It looked like it would be tough, but do-able. So, I ran a search on advrider.com and, sure enough, two groups of riders had done that exact trip. From their trip reports and my examination of my Mexico maps an idea was planted – I wanted to put together an adventure ride exploring the desert of NE Mexico, in the state of Coahuila. My idea was to ride the eastern half of the route to Big Bend, then head south through the Sierra del Carmen mountains along roads of unknown existence or condition, eventually arriving in the city of Muzquiz, Mexico. From there we would head east on roads also of questionable existence or condition, re-entering Texas at Eagle Pass.

After thinking long and hard about it and researching everything I could find about that part of Mexico I came to the realization that there just wasn't much information available about the route I was contemplating. I couldn’t find a single report of anyone riding the route I wanted to run and no information on the southern half of the route. Were the roads really there? Everything I had read said Mexico maps are often inaccurate with non-existent roads and towns. If the roads were there, were they passable or would we be stopped in our tracks by locked gates and private property, requiring hours of delay and backtracking? Could we find gas? The map indicated there might be some small settlements along the route, but no towns of any size. The route I was planning had us riding 375 miles from known gas to known gas. If we couldn't find gas en-route we were going to be in trouble, no question about it. What if we had bike issues or a rider got injured? That area might be the most remote in all of Mexico, making recovery of man or machine a difficult proposition. In short I realized this ride was not going to be a picnic and could easily become the most difficult of rides, the kind of ride that, after it’s all said and done, you end up calling it epic.

Despite the uncertainties, I decided to just go for it. I called Uncle and signed him up for the ride and then I put a call out on a couple of DS forums seeking 4 other riders. Jeff, Chris, Bill, and Scott signed on and preparations began in earnest. On a wet, rainy Thursday evening we linked up in Del Rio to attempt our desert expedition ride. This is our story.

Last edited:
Thursday

Thursday

Right away I chickened out. I just couldn’t handle it, so I changed the route. 375 miles without a known gas stop was pushing it too much for me. Maybe we would find fuel en-route, maybe not; I wasn’t willing to risk it all on finding fuel. With all the survival gear, food, water, and other necessary stuff we were already carrying adding the bulk and weight of 4-5 extra gallons of fuel was too much so I modified the route to 225 miles on day 1 without a known gas stop. At least that’s the length my GPS Bici maps listed for the new route. Turns out the Bici maps was short by many, many miles, which got us into a pickle later on, but I didn’t know that when I modified the route.

The group met up on Thursday evening in Del Rio and introductions were made. I explained the route change and the group discussed the new route and agreed that it was probably the right choice to make.

Here’s the route we came up with for day 1 – Del Rio to Muzquiz. 225 miles total with 150 miles of dirt.
NortheastMexicoRidemapday1.jpg

The map of day 1 as shown in Google Earth
DelRioMorelosEaglePassDSRoute.jpg

After an excellent dinner we headed over to the border to take care of the necessary paperwork of tourist permits and bike importations. We did everything we could to make our 9 a.m. Friday morning border crossing go as smooth and quick as possible.

In addition to the concern about fuel I was also very concerned about mud. It had been raining on and off all day Thursday and showed no signs of letting up. I had read that the first part of our expedition consisted of 50 or so miles of desert dirt; the kind of dirt that, when wet, is so unbelievably sticky that it can permanently trap a vehicle, and when baked dry is so hard you can build a house out of it. If the roads were muddy there was no way we were going to be able to get through. But, of even more concern was that if the roads were dry and we went for it and then it rained on us we were going to get trapped in the mud, probably a long way from help and a multi-day trek to walk out. The only thing we could do was watch the weather, evaluate the conditions, and then roll the dice with a go / no go decision once we reached the dirt.

It continued to rain throughout Thursday night.

Last edited:
Friday

Friday

Friday dawned with continued rain. It wasn’t looking good. I figured the dirt roads were going to be impassible with mud and the only alternative I could come up with was for us to spend a few hours riding pavement south down to Muzquiz. Once we got there we could evaluate the conditions and figure out if this was going to be a riding expedition or a drinking-and-getting-into-trouble-in-a-small-Mexican-town expedition. We wanted to go to Mexico on an expedition, but the weather threatened to turn our adventure into something much less exciting.

Wearing our waterproof gear, Chris, Bill, Uncle, and I gathered in the hotel parking lot, waiting on Jeff and Scott to show. The rain slowed to a small drizzle, which was encouraging. After waiting a few minutes beyond the agreed upon meeting time, we decided to ride over to Jeff and Scott’s motel where we found them completing the final bike packing chores of Scott’s bike. We also found out that the first bike failure of the trip had already surfaced. The electrical system on Jeff’s XR650R was acting up. The bike was ride-able but didn’t have blinkers or a brake light; not a big deal, certainly not enough to stop us.

Left to Right: Bill, Chris, and Uncle
IMG_1101.jpg

My Wee Strom with TKC 80 knobbies & Moto-sport panniers
IMG_1102.jpg

Scott packing his KLR
IMG_1103.jpg

Jeff’s XR650R packed and ready to go. His dirt bagz looked good and performed well for him throughout the expedition.
IMG_1105.jpg

Once everyone was packed and ready, we rolled for the border. With the main paperwork already completed the previous evening, crossing into Acuna went smoothly. We had not been able to change any money on Thursday evening though, so we had to stop for that, plus a couple of us needed to buy insurance. Once that was accomplished our expedition was finally underway.

Of most importance was that as soon as we crossed the border we left the rain behind. Even the streets were even dry. Acuna had not had anywhere near the amount of rain that Del Rio had been getting the past few days. It was odd how the rain just stopped at the border but none of us were complaining. At least an impassible muddy road wouldn’t stop our expedition before it started. But, even though it was dry the sky was completely overcast with dark clouds meaning we still faced the more serious risk of rain mid-ride trapping us in mud way out in the middle of the desert.

Looking west down a typical Acuna street. Note the dry streets.
IMG_1106.jpg

I spotted this sexy little Italian (?) number and had to get a pic
IMG_1108.jpg

The Bicimap didn’t provide any street details for Acuna. Either that or my lack of expertise with my Zumo GPS was hindering my ability to find the street detail within the Bicimap. I knew the general direction we needed to go to reach the start of the day’s journey but navigating through a fair sized city without a map is not the easiest of things and more than once I was unsure of which road to take. After about a half-hour of navigation and at least 1 u-turn we finally managed to find our way through town and onto the correct road.

The road leading west across the desert was not dirt, as I expected; it was paved. True, it had more than its share of pot holes and areas where the pavement was completely gone, but overall it was more paved than not, allowing us to maintain a brisk pace as we headed west into the desert and the next “town” of Santa Eulalia, which was about 40 km up the road. Santa Eulalia turned out to be a small collection of houses with and one or two small stores. Despite a completely cloud covered sky we were blessed with no rain and dry roads the entire way.

The road to Santa Eulalia, looking east back towards Acuna.
IMG_1109.jpg

Taking a 5 minute break in Santa Eulalia
IMG_1110.jpg

Immediately past Santa Eulalia the road turned to rock and then alternated between a mix of rock and dirt for the next 125 miles. I don’t believe a road grader has ever been down this road. It was a great ride because it was an awesome road - very beat up, rocky, rutted, littered with small boulders, and just plain knarly. It wasn’t all that technical, but it demanded our full attention all the time, lest one of us cross rut, or whack into one of the many small boulders scattered about in the road, or hit some other obstacle causing bike and rider to go down. We only averaged about 15-20 miles per hour during the entire 125 mile section of dual sport wonder.

Early in the day, headed west across the desert
IMG_1112.jpg

Crossing an arroyo. 50 miles of primitive road to get here, 30 yards of concrete, then 50 more miles of primitive road.:ponder:
IMG_1111.jpg

The mountains were just out of sight when we originally started but soon came into view as we made our way west. The road headed straight toward them, then skirted north. Eventually it would route us directly through the mountains and out the other side. Just prior to reaching the mountains, we stopped briefly at the abandoned town of Progreso. At least that’s what the 5 Caballeros told us when they rode up. My map indicated this was the town of Aguirre and that Progreso was many miles back to the east. But, like I said, with Mexican maps who really knows? Why and when was Progreso abandoned? Who knows? :confused:

A short break at the abandoned town of Progreso
IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

The Five Caballeros
IMG_1116.jpg

As you can see in the above pictures, the clouds were now almost completely gone. The sun had first peaked out behind the clouds at Noon and as we rode west the skies cleared. It looked like we were going to be able to avoid significant rainfall after all. Things were heating up and we started shedding gear during our stop at Progreso.

A short distance past Progreso we entered the mountains via a scenic valley. For the next few hours we rode through some wonderful desert mountain scenery. And, unbelievably, the road got even worse than before. The ruts got deeper, the boulders bigger, and the obstacles more technical. It was a real joy to be riding here.

Bill leading us into the valley
IMG_1117.jpg

more to come

Poncho,

We carried water with us the first day and that's what we drank. We never drank any untreated water during our trip.

Yes, that was Uncle's Wee. I bought it from him last month. It did great and I was really impressed with how well it performed throughout this expedition.

Noticed the change tires. Would advise that for your Juntion adv.?
What is your uncle now riding?

We have been going over your rider's guide book, VERY well done.
Which rides do you plan to lead?
Some of the routes were looked up by my riding partner. He is having a few concerns about his limitations. Just doesn't want to get injured that early in our entire program. We still will have NM, etc. I told him your uncle did the like & no real problems, didn't mention the water rebirthing.:rider:
Wolfgang

The roads we will be riding during the Junction event don't really require a knobby. When Uncle rode the Wee there last year the stock Trailwings did fine.

I haven't decided yet what routes I'm going to ride. I might sneek off and do a recon of some new roads...

I think most of the routes are pretty mild - lots of fun and quite scenic, but not particularly challenging. I'd advise him to avoid the James River route though.

Thank you for the nice comment on the ride guide.

Uncle is back to riding his '93 BMW R100GSPD.

Last edited:
Richard, I have found plenty of people out here w/ bikes that will do your JunctionAdv. ride, but they just have not had a reason to come out & get their tread dirty. You have helped to make it look do able for many that have the bike but not the experience. Best part is the age group, now there is experience. Sometimes I wish I was a 1000 miles nearer to the sun set.
We are really looking forward to Junction.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

Thanks again. We are going to have a great time in Junction. More than 80 riders have signed up as of this evening so there won't be any shortage of folks to ride with during the day or stories to swap in the evening over a refreshing beverage and good food. As an exclamation point to the entire thing I'm bringing a cigar for Saturday night. :-P

Re: Friday

Richard_ said:
Of most importance was that as soon as we crossed the border we left the rain behind. Even the streets were even dry. Acuna had not had anywhere near the amount of rain that Del Rio had been getting the past few days. It was odd how the rain just stopped at the border but none of us were complaining. At least an impassible muddy road wouldn’t stop our expedition before it started. But, even though it was dry the sky was completely overcast with dark clouds meaning we still faced the more serious risk of rain mid-ride trapping us in mud way out in the middle of the desert.

Richard: Haven't you ever watched the weather channel. All weather ALWAYS stops at the border. You should have known it was going to be dry. :rofl:

Re: Friday

Teeds said:
Richard: Haven't you ever watched the weather channel. All weather ALWAYS stops at the border. You should have known it was going to be dry. :rofl:

Teeds,

We were actually joking about that on Thursday night during dinner. "Hey, no worries about rain, I noticed on the weather report that the radar showed there was no weather in Mexico. The weather just stops at the Texas border."

Little did we know those weather dudes were serious...

dbdolan said:
Good stuff, I guess dirt bomb and wasabi made it home? They haven't posted yet.

I'm hoping they made it home okay. I haven't heard from them.

Friday, continued

Something was wrong. I noticed I could only see 1 rider in my review mirror so I pulled to a stop. After a few minutes of waiting for the rest of the group to catch up, no one showed. Bill and I made a u-turn and headed back in search of our lost riders. The 2nd bike problem of the day had surfaced – Scott’s rear tire was flat on his KLR. No problem, he had a spare tube and repairs were underway. Unfortunately, he had to completely unload his bike to get to his tools, which made the job longer to complete. By this point is was mid-afternoon and getting uncomfortably warm. There were no trees so there was no shade to be had.

Bill waiting on the rest of the group to catch up
IMG_1119.jpg

Scott fixing his flat
IMG_1121.jpg

Uncle’s solution to the lack of shade problem.
IMG_1120.jpg

At this point, 2 issues began to exert themselves – time & distance. We had been riding steadily since 9 a.m. and the afternoon was nearly gone, but we still had a really long way to go. Would we arrive in Muzquiz before dark? Not at the pace we had been traveling and certainly not if we had any other bike issues.

Everyone says don’t ride after dark in Mexico, which is probably darn good advice. We had come prepared to camp, but that presented a whole different problem. Where could we camp? You might think that all we need do was pull off to the side of the road, out of sight somewhere, and set up camp. The challenge with that is that the mountain terrain we were in was thick with thorny plants – cactus, mesquite, etc. It seems like every plant in the desert has some sort of long, sharp thorn as protection. To pull off the road far enough to be out of sight would entail riding through lots of these types of plants, meaning we would likely get multiple flats on the bikes. We had been advised not to camp right next to the road in the event that drug smugglers used this route. One of the other motorcycle groups that had come through here had camped out in the desert their first night and around midnight two vehicles had passed their location running east in the dark with all the vehicle lights off. Presumably they were Federales troops driving with NODS (night observation devices), but it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that it was drug smugglers driving with the same devices. In any case, if we were forced to camp it would be in our best interest to get out of sight of the road and not make our presence known to anyone.

We didn’t have to make a camping decision at that moment as we still had several hours of daylight available. A new sense of urgency was upon us though and a decision would have to be made at some point as it was becoming evident we might not reach Muzquiz before dark. Once Scott’s bike was repaired we mounted up and headed out at the fastest pace we could safely maintain.

After many miles of beautiful mountain riding, we entered a large valley. I knew the “town” of Morelos was up ahead, but had no idea what services might be available there. The ride report of the last group that went through here 3 years ago indicated there were no stores but they had been able to buy some gasoline from someone who had a 55 gallon drum of fuel. We hoped to be able to do the same. We had been riding all day and I knew our fuel tanks were getting low.

The road was running through the valley was in a little better condition and we were able to ride a bit faster. Eventually we reached Morelos. It wasn’t a town, only a small collection of houses spread out here and there. I kept looking for some indication of gasoline for sale but nothing caught my eye. As we reached the southern end of town I spotted a house with an old, metal Pepsi sign hanging outside. Perhaps a small tienda (store)? I quickly pulled in and sure enough it was a little store. They didn’t have much for sale but they did have cold sodas. A cold soda never tasted so good. I asked the older woman running the place about gasoline and she indicated she didn’t know of any being available. Our quest for fuel would have to continue beyond Morelos. Sodas finished and feeling somewhat refreshed we rode out with Muzquiz as our goal.

We were forced to modify the route yet again. Our route called for us to ride a small, trail that paralleled a river running through a 25 mile long valley. From my map and Google Earth reconnaissance it looked to be a spectacular path, perhaps the best of the entire expedition. But, if we were able to average only 15-20 mph on what the map indicated was a “road” what kind of pace would we be able to maintain on something the map indicated was a “trail”? There was no way we were going to be able to ride that trail and have any hope of making it to Muzquiz this day. Instead, we stuck to the unpaved road heading south out of Morelos leading us to pavement 30 miles away. As we passed the turn-off to the trail, I saw it disappearing into the distant valley between some awesomely huge mountains. I so wanted to take that left turn to the valley, but it was not to be during this trip. One day I’m coming back and riding that trail.

Finally, at end evening nautical twilight, we reached pavement at Hwy 93. The Federales (Mexican Army) had a checkpoint set up here and waved us to a stop. It was the first one we had encountered all day. They were quite curious as to what 6 dusty, tired gringos on motorcycles were doing in this part of Mexico. I explained the situation to them and then started asking about gasoline. At this point we had traveled 190 miles and I knew we were getting low on fuel.

“No gasolina” they said.

“Donde?” (Where?), I asked

“Muzquiz”, was the reply

“Cuanto kilometros?” (How many kilometers?)

“Ciento treinta” (130)

I did some rough math in my head and figured out it was about 80 miles to Muzquiz. I broke the bad news to the group. We had already come 190 or so miles, we were low on fuel, not sure if we could make it another 80 miles on the fuel that remained, and it was dark in Mexico. Not the best of situations to be in. On the plus side we had 4 spare gallons of fuel so maybe, just maybe, that would be enough to get us all to Muzquiz.

The group discussed our options and finally decided that our most prudent course of action would be to continue on and see if we could make Muzquiz tonight. At least the road was paved the entire way and seemed to be in reasonably good shape. With the best headlight in the bunch I led out, keeping the pace to 45 mph to minimize risk and to conserve fuel.

For almost 2 hours we made our way south down Hwy 93 toward Muzquiz. I kept a close eye on my rearview mirror to ensure I didn’t lose anyone. Just 10 miles prior to reaching Muzquiz the headlights in my rearview disappeared. Scott’s KLR had been on reserve for the past 30 miles and he desperately needed fuel. We tapped into our reserve putting 1 gallon in his tank and 1 in my Wee. Everyone else said they were okay.

About 15 minutes later, after 13 long hours in the saddle, we pulled into a Pemex gas station in Muzquiz. We had made it. Without question this had been the longest, hardest day I had ever spent on a motorcycle. I loved it.

At this point a reasonable person would have just found a motel, a bite to eat, and gone to bed. Turns out none of us were reasonable people. Then we met Paul and our adventure took a very strange turn.

Back