TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #61
fjrtom

Re: Honda ST1300 or Yamaha FJR 1300

Did sitting on my fjr help you decide?

Get well and I'll see you again, maybe at the next bike night if you're there.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #62
King_O_Road

yeah just a little

made it home safe and sound ...
Hello hot bath and motren 800...
Good night everyone else....

2008 H-D Fat Bob
"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle”
King_O_Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #63
kurt
Administrator

Motrin... That's all ya got?????
Old 04-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #64
Hotboot
Forum Supporter

Glad you are OK, make sure you eat some food with 800mg of Motrin. When I had my doink, the serious pain meds were fun but was glad when they ran out.
Hotboot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #65
King_O_Road

Well here I sit in Lampassas, visiting family for the holiday, the motrin wore off hours ago, everything is covered in white about 2 to 3 inches... and I now belive that I may have cracked my hip... something is wrong for sure... I kind of feel a line under the skin, and man it hurts... think I will try to get to the doc sooner rather than later... although I don't believe they can do anything for a cracked hip bone... but the shoulder is giving a bit of a problem too... boy I just keep whinning on here, but if anyone would know it would be those of you on here... I have to admit though the cruiser idea has popped up in my head along with the thought of maybe I am not meant to be riding twisties, and should stick to a slower bike that I wont be tempted to to try track style riding on... I don't know... it will months before I get a bike anyway...
Well have a Great "White" Easter ...

2008 H-D Fat Bob
"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle”
Old 04-08-2007, 07:17 AM   #66
kurt
Administrator

Go get checked out and wait until you heal to make any decisions on bikes. Day 3 after a traumatic event is usually the worst as far as stiffness and pain. Forget the Motrin. You need some real pain meds for a couple of days.

Try Aleve in the mean time. It is a better pain killer than Motrin which is more of an anti-inflammatory.

Last edited by kurt; 04-08-2007 at 07:22 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #67
UNTMatt

I'm partial to the ST13 as I own one.

Both are good bikes, I looked and pondered over the FJR for a long while but since Yamaha did the PDP program on the purchase of one (technical lingo for pre-order, none in stock) I took a hike over to Honda.

Read reviews on both bikes and see how they compare. On paper the FJR seems like it would be subtantually faster but in the real world, it just feels substantually faster and most of the reviews I have read show the difference is neglagable.

The FJR will feel more sporty while the ST is smooth and quiet like a Civic. Ride her well and she is fun. As for two up riding, my wife has fallen asleep on the back if that tells you anything.

The V4 puts your valve checks/adjustments right out in the open for ease of maintenance and with a little patience, none of the maintenance seems that difficult. I just completed my 16k service (@17200) by myself and it went very well all things considered.

Good luck on your search, either way you'll have fun.
UNTMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #68
King_O_Road

thanks for the input, since the "get off", I all but forgot about this post.....

2008 H-D Fat Bob
Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #69
mlstults
Forum Supporter

I've enjoyed reading everyones comments on the ST and FJR but I have not heard anyone mention the HEAT these bikes are accussed of having. I like both and would have a hard time deciding between the two. I've read that the 06 and 07 FJR's have resolved the HEAT issue but I have not seen any reports on the ST1300 lately. So tell me ST 1300 Honda owners, is there a HEAT issue and how bad is it? Comfort and smoothness rule. I'm tired of HOT bikes in the summer and buzzy handlebars/seats.
mlstults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #70
1TallTXn
Skinny guy on a bike
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlstults View Post
I've enjoyed reading everyones comments on the ST and FJR but I have not heard anyone mention the HEAT these bikes are accussed of having. I like both and would have a hard time deciding between the two. I've read that the 06 and 07 FJR's have resolved the HEAT issue but I have not seen any reports on the ST1300 lately. So tell me ST 1300 Honda owners, is there a HEAT issue and how bad is it? Comfort and smoothness rule. I'm tired of HOT bikes in the summer and buzzy handlebars/seats.
I got my ST1300 in November of '06 so I haven't had it out during a summer yet. Haven't had it out in anything over ~75-80F yet. That being said, I haven't noticed any heat issues. I do ride with riding pants all the time, not sure if that would help or hinder.

People say my VFR is hot, but I only notice that when its 105+

Never ridden a FJR so I can't speak on that

2002 VFR800STi | 1985 GL1200 Aspencade -Earl | 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

IBA# 31895
--------
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"...what is the militia? It is the whole people, except a few public officials." - George Mason 1788
1TallTXn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #71
sherob

You are sitting on a high performance 1300cc engine, there is going to be some heat. I never had an issue with it on the ST... I feel more heat off the Wing than I did on the ST, and it's not even summer yet
Old 05-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #72
mlstults
Forum Supporter

Just read comments on the ST Owners site and they were talking about heavy boots, overpants, cuttng the inner fairing, rapping the exhaust and one person was saying "rap your ankles with aluminum foil plus 2 pair of socks. THAT's rediculous. No motorcycle should put out that kind of heat. Statements like that is what keeps me from buying a new ST 1300. I have an '06 Electra Glide and it will cook your right under thigh in the summer. I ride year round on a daily basis and I DON'T want another WING.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:03 PM   #73
mlstults
Forum Supporter

I had a '98 and '01 Wing and never felt heat. I always wear sidi boots and jeans and that's it.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #74
sherob

The heat issue is really an individual one. What is hot to you may not be hot to me. I ride in jeans at a minimum, Tourmaster Solution boots now Oxstar Matrix then. I rode 2 summers on my ST and had no problems with heat, I rode everyday to work and back, 50 miles round trip... 24k in 18 months.

I get heat below my right knee on my Wing... I haven't torn apart the tupperware yet, but it could be the vent isn't setup right
Old 05-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #75
Rocket_Cowboy
LDRider

Quote:
Just read comments on the ST Owners site and they were talking about heavy boots, overpants, cuttng the inner fairing, rapping the exhaust and on person was saying "rap your ankles with aluminum foil plus 2 pair of socks. THAT's rediculous. No motorcycle should put out that kind of heat. Statements like that is what keeps me from buying a new ST 1300. I have an '06 Electra Glide and it will cook your right under thigh in the summer. I ride year round on a daily basis and I DON'T want anouther WING.
Did you also read the majority of posts from ST owners who have no heat problem at all? Personally, I found it to be the people who don't know what heat is who complained the loudest. I always thought it was funny that the majority of the people complaining about heat were from cooler climates, telling those who ride daily along the gulf coast how incredibly hot their bikes were, while those riders in the southeast and gulf coast whould just shrug their shoulders and say "no problem here".

The ST was no hotter than any other bike I've owned. The FJR wasn't any different. Still, the warmest bike I've owned was a Hayabusa, but you don't hear owners of that bike complaining about excessive heat.

But what do I know. I ride a final drive exploding paint shaker ... if I believed everything I read on the Internet.
Ride Pictures
Ride Blog
Rocket_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #76
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy View Post
But what do I know. I ride a final drive exploding paint shaker ... if I believed everything I read on the Internet.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #77
mlstults
Forum Supporter

but your paint shaker is cool, right.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #78
L8RG8R

I used to have an 03 ST1300 and LOVED it. It was no hotter than any other bike I've ridden or owned. In fact, it was actually cooler than some. My Dad used to have a 1999 HD Ultra Classic and I do believe that was the hottest bike I have ever been on. (He now rides a 2005 ST1300 )

The only reason I sold the ST was because we now have a new addition to the family AND I bought an Aprilia. I didn't have time to go on 1000+ mile rides anymore like I used to on the ST and began to ride the Aprilia more. It was just sitting there, so I needed to sell it to a good home.
L8RG8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #79
UNTMatt

Quote:
Just read comments on the ST Owners site and they were talking about heavy boots, overpants, cuttng the inner fairing, rapping the exhaust and one person was saying "rap your ankles with aluminum foil plus 2 pair of socks. THAT's rediculous. No motorcycle should put out that kind of heat. Statements like that is what keeps me from buying a new ST 1300. I have an '06 Electra Glide and it will cook your right under thigh in the summer. I ride year round on a daily basis and I DON'T want anouther WING.
I do not have a heat issue on our 06. The few riders that seem to have that issue are 'vocal' about it over on st-owners.com.

We take two trips during the summer months, one to the hill country and the other to IA and MI. Neither time have we been uncomfortable from heat off the bike during 600+ mile days.

Best bet, if it's that big of a concern is to find a dealer that will let you test ride (or a local ST owner that you can hook up with) and see if you have a heat issue. There are also wind deflectors that will direct air away from the riders legs if the little amount of warm air does cause any discomfort.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #80
UNTMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy View Post

I thought that was a farm impliment?