• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Speed Traps

Teeds

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Eeds
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4696474.html

Small town relies on the lead-footed to pay its bills
Estelline uses speed-trap fines to finance nearly its entire budget

By THOMAS KOROSEC
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

ESTELLINE — With his lean profile and weathered face, Officer Barney Gilley looks every bit the part of a West Texas lawman. Now and then, tourists stop and ask him to pose for snapshots in his mean-looking Dodge Charger squad car.

Most of the time, though, Gilley is the one making the introductions along U.S. 287 as it runs, briefly, through Estelline and its single blinking yellow light.

"People know me from Los Angeles to New York," he says, a slight grin forming.

Gilley writes about 23 tickets a day to drivers who fail to slow as the wide, flat four-lane leaves the Panhandle's red-dirt cotton fields and enters this farm town of 168 residents about a hundred miles southeast of Amarillo.

Despite a 1975 Texas law aimed at curbing speed traps, Estelline has been able to mine nearly its entire budget from motorists who fail to slow from 70 mph to 50 mph when they hit the city limits.

"We follow the state law," said Estelline Mayor Rick Manley, whose current budget anticipates it will take in $320,000 in traffic fines this year. The town keeps some of the money but by law will have to give a chunk to the state.

Paying back the state

Texas' speed-trap law uses an indirect approach to discourage small towns from relying too heavily on traffic tickets.

Under the law, which applies to towns of fewer than 5,000, nearly all traffic fines that exceed 30 percent of a city's previous year's total general revenues must be paid to the state. For instance, a town that takes in total revenues of $100,000 this year can keep only $30,000 in traffic fines next year, plus $1 for each ticket over the cap.

The law, which is enforced by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, prescribes no penalties — beside payment of money past due — for violations. And cities can grow their budgets each year by writing more tickets.

This year, Estelline will keep about $110,000 in highway fines, said Connie Mondragon, the municipal judge who also is working temporarily as city clerk.

"We're able to increase our revenue a bit every year," said Manley, a retired prison guard who moved to Estelline eight years ago.

At least five other small towns that aggressively ticket motorists appear to have learned how to live with Texas' speed-trap law as well.

Since 1999, Driscoll (south of Corpus Christi), Estelline, Martindale (east of San Marcos), Mount Enterprise (north of Nacogdoches), Payne Springs (southeast of Dallas) and Zavalla (east of Lufkin) have each voluntarily paid more than $10,000 to the state in excess fines, according to figures provided by the comptroller's office under the Texas Open Records Act.

People in Estelline, which ranks second behind Mount Enterprise in excess fines voluntarily sent to the state over the past seven years, do not deny the highway is the town's chief meal ticket.

"If we did not write tickets we would not have a City Hall, city employees, a police officer, a judge," Mondragon said. "Welcome to Estelline."

A city surviving

On a recent weekday, Mondragon was in a small office adjacent to the volunteer fire department working through a stack of mail sent from recently nabbed speeders. The town's two-room brick City Hall next door was damaged last month by a small tornado that demolished two 100-year-old buildings on the other side of the town square.

Estelline's only cafe closed last year and on a recent late-winter morning, the town looked all but deserted as a fierce High Plains wind blew in a legion of tumbleweeds and dust that reddened the sky.

In its heyday in the 1890s, Estelline was a cattle-shipping center on the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway. It had 1,000 residents, two newspapers, a large general merchandise store, a lumberyard and a bank that operated for about 40 years until it failed in the Great Depression, according to a history compiled by the University of Texas at Austin.

Today, the only signs of commercial life in Estelline are two liquor stores that voters approved in 1983. One sells groceries and gasoline, and between the two — the only sellers of alcohol in dry Hall County — they bring in about $15,000 in state sales tax a year, city budget figures show.

The town, which does not run a water or sewer utility, collects a total of $2,680 in property taxes and $3,000 in rental income from houses it has taken over.

"We're not getting rich here," said Mondragon, the judge. "We won't be retiring from this."

It costs about $126,000 a year to run its one-man police force and city court, including Gilley's $50,000 a year salary.

"It's hard if you're a small town finding someone who will work like Barney," said Manley, the mayor. "A lot of the guys will just sit around by the coffee pot. Barney will work six days a week."

Even at $170 to $280 per ticket (for exceeding the speed limit by 1 mph to 35 mph) it takes a lot of tickets to float even Estelline's modest budget. The state receives $71.50 for costs and fees on every ticket; drivers who opt to take a driving safety course pay no fine; and truckers who are ticketed often hire a lawyer and appeal to county courts, which keep any fines paid, Mondragon said.

Local drivers such as Justin Garnica, owner of Gloria's Café in Memphis, the county seat, say they know to slow down in Estelline.

"He'll be parked behind City Hall, where the building confuses a radar detector, or there's a little dip he likes north of town," Garnica said. "Everybody around here knows to slow down over there. It's out-of-towners who get caught."

Fighting a reputation

Larry Ivy, a ranch foreman who sits on the Estelline City Council, bristles at the suggestion that the town is a speed trap.

The state sets the highway speed limit and it's clearly marked, he said. Vehicles blowing through town at 70 mph are a danger to residents, and the city has the right to slow them down, Ivy asserts.

At the same time, he said, without highway fines, the city would have no police force.

"We're trying to fix our town up," Ivy said. "Without that money to mow and take down old buildings, we'd be like some of these other towns around here that have just gone away."

State officials audited Estelline in 1999 and 2003, finding in the earlier instance that the town owed the state $15,025 in excess traffic fines. Since 1999, state records show that eight towns have been audited by the state and were found to have underpaid under the speed-trap law.

The most notorious is Kendleton, a town of 500 southwest of Houston that operated a speed trap on U.S. 59 for more than 20 years.

In a series of audits, the comptroller's office found the town failed to pay more than $1.6 million in excess highway fines through the 1990s. Kendleton subsequently declared bankruptcy and disbanded its police force.

R.J. DeSilva, the comptroller's spokesman, said the state's speed-trap law is considered a success.

"Compliance is high and the number of towns we're looking at is pretty small," he said.

Were Estelline 25 miles to the northeast, on the other side of the Red River's Prairie Dog Town Fork in Oklahoma, it would face a more explicit speed-trap law. Since 2003, Oklahoma officials have had the power to stop local police departments from enforcing traffic laws on state and federal highways if the town derives more than 50 percent of its operating revenue from moving violations.

Late last year, Oklahoma officials designated three towns as official speed traps and shut down their highway operations for at least six months. One, Moffett, declared bankruptcy within six weeks.

Estelline's detractors, who curse it on the Internet as a "Texas-sized speed trap" or worse, no doubt would like to see the town face a similar fate.

"What a long, strange and beautiful trip it was," wrote one, Sonny Stone of Ontario, Canada, musing about a cross-country drive. "The only serious problem was with a traffic cop in Estelline."

Perhaps we can plagarize the Oklahoma law soon. Towns that rely on fines to that degree have no reason for being anyway.

Perhaps we can plagarize the Oklahoma law soon. Towns that rely on fines to that degree have no reason for being anyway.

I can see both sides.

Their attitude is - We have 168 residents. All we want is for people to slow down to 50 mph just like the law says when they drive through the middle of our town. Without the money from the fines we could not afford a police officer to enforce the speed limit.

If all their tickets are for 10 or even at least 5 over the limit I do not really have a problem.

If, on the other hand they write a bunch of tickets for 1,2,3, ro 4 over the limit then yes it is more about money than safety.

-

I'm surprised Junction isn't on the list either. Anytime I fly through, there are at least 3 vehicles pulled over at a time, every time.

our speeding fines pay for nearly everything in the uk at least you dont have gatso's to deal with yet
Gatso-speed-camera.jpg

Gatso_in_orange-t.jpg

speed_camera.jpg

Martindale pulls people over for 1 over, multiple times a day. The income from tickets covered the cost of their police force and municipal court last year.

thats alot of money over here we dont just get fined we have a points system to if you get more than 12 point your banned from driving for 6 months and you get 3 points for 1 speeding conviction 4 speeding tickets in 3 years you banned from driving/riding

I have had the pleasure to make EPD some money. Along with Clarendon, Memphis and asorted other small towns on 287.

This is coming from a motorcop.

I have a hard time with this. I've been to Estelline and there is nothing left of the town. According to the story they have no municipal water or sewer, I would assume they have no municipal trash service, not even a cafe----why do they need a police force? They're not really even a town.

I understand the need to slow people down when they go through "town", believe me I do. If there is no presence there people will fly through at 70+, but maybe this one is better left to their Sheriff's Dept or DPS. Heck, DPS probably needs something to keep them awake up there anyway. ;-)

This is coming from a motorcop.

I have a hard time with this. I've been to Estelline and there is nothing left of the town. According to the story they have no municipal water or sewer, I would assume they have no municipal trash service, not even a cafe----why do they need a police force? They're not really even a town.

I understand the need to slow people down when they go through "town", believe me I do. If there is no presence there people will fly through at 70+, but maybe this one is better left to their Sheriff's Dept or DPS. Heck, DPS probably needs something to keep them awake up there anyway. ;-)

I have a hard time believing anyone still gets stopped there. Officer Barney and his Mustang (still was last time I was through there) and the little over hang he parks under, are very well known by people that use 287 often.

If you're running a detector you can hear him for miles. He must have that thing cranked up to full song. I wish every "speed trap" did it that way! :rider:

If you're coming in from the South, look for him just inside the Limits under a "carport" overhang type thing on the East Side of the road. Pull in and give him a Howdy... he's really a pretty nice guy. At least wave as you roll by, he's glad to see ya'... doin' the Limit that is! ;-)

I have had the pleasure to make EPD some money. Along with Clarendon, Memphis and asorted other small towns on 287.

Jeez, buy a detector. All those places give you plenty of warning.:doh:

Actually, you don't need one in those spots anymore I'll bet. $$ says you slow down now days. Lesson learned? ;-)

thats alot of money over here we dont just get fined we have a points system to if you get more than 12 point your banned from driving for 6 months and you get 3 points for 1 speeding conviction 4 speeding tickets in 3 years you banned from driving/riding
There is a points system here as well, there are also increased fees for license renewal and insurance if you attain enough points in a period without going over the suspension limit. I don't think most people would have a huge gripe with a fine every once in awhile if it didn't have the secondary impact of increased insurance costs.

In Oklahoma they have a coded ticket called an SP-1, that is basically a max 10 mph ticket not in a school or construction zone and is not reported on your state driving record, so no points are assessed. The last ticket that I received in OK (after many years of no tickets) before I moved to Austin was one of these and I was doing well more than 10 over on a limited-access highway but the officer downgraded it to an SP-1 so it was a $135 fine and nothing more.

Heck...I thought that this article was gonna be about Rome. Talk about a speed trap (and this is coming from a cop)!!!

I really hope a good attorney takes them on over the use of photoradar and makes them stop. I don't understand how they are getting away with it...unless a violation is a civil matter (as cities have made red light photo tickets and DPS has made the toll violations) an officer has to make contact with the offender and verify the person's identity before issuing the citation.

This would be why a ticket placed on the windshield of car in a fire lane has the words "owner/operator" placed in the driver's block...we don't know who was driving the car when it was illegally parked, it could be the registered owner it or someone else.

I have a buddy who got a photoradar ticket in Rome....only he wasn't the one in the car. When he contacted the court in that fine city he pointed out to them that he is a guy and the driver in the picture is obviously a women...they told him that he would not have to pay it...IF HE TOLD THEM WHO WAS DRIVING....otherwise he would have to pay it. What a crock!!!

I beleive he was going to fight it....I need to get ahold of him and see what happened.

Yeah... with all the pedestrian traffic in town, these people doing 70MPH are a major threat to the good citizens of the town.

Crosstraffic here is a huge problem too.

Im with the other folks on here who suggest that if the town wouldnt exist without the local PD, then why is there a PD there to begin with?

A PD serves and protects its citizens, but if theres not enough citizens to protect from taxes, then why have it? Government programs always finds a way to survive.

officer: "I'm from the Government.... and Im here to help you"

If those ever come to Texas, I have a nice supply of used mc tires ready to go.

Not that I condone destructive behavior.

Maybe a traffic study would indicate a need to raise the speed limit there. If that percentage of people are speeding, and nothing really exists there anymore, perhaps there is no reason to have a reduced speed zone. No need for a $50,000/yr cop, mayor or court.

Where's Marvin Zindler?

Regarding the cameras, Arlington used to have them along 303. They finally abandoned them because kids kept spray painting the face of the lens ...

Crosstraffic here is a huge problem too.

The only cross traffic in Estelline is people going to get booze.

I have a buddy who got a photoradar ticket in Rome....only he wasn't the one in the car. When he contacted the court in that fine city he pointed out to them that he is a guy and the driver in the picture is obviously a women...they told him that he would not have to pay it...IF HE TOLD THEM WHO WAS DRIVING....otherwise he would have to pay it. What a crock!!!

Seems pretty clear cut to me... Was it his car? Yes. Was it him driving? No. Was his car being used with his permission, or was it stolen?

I guess he needs to get an insurance company like the one in the commercial, with the guy nagging his friend to loan him the car keys, while the insurance guy stands behind him shaking his head "No!!!!"

Regarding the cameras, Arlington used to have them along 303. They finally abandoned them because kids kept spray painting the face of the lens ...

I was envisioning them full of bullet holes. :-P

I thought this was going to be about Rhome, too. Especially when the work zone was still up on 114. They've been setting that little photoradar up on 114 both sides of 287. But, people are generally slowing down there now.

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Shenandoah yet. Dark blue squad cars that can not be seen at night while they're trapping on I-45, even under the lights. I wish The Woodlands would just annex them and disband the Shenandoah PD...

...and no, I've never gotten a ticket from them. Now, ol' Polar Bear (the city marshall's CB handle) in Teneha on 59 north of Nacodoches, he popped me for speeding down his little ramp in the semi, but wrote the ticket for littering (a soda bottle fell out of the truck when I got out, but I picked it right back up). $175 littering ticket, a written warning for speeding, and I had to write a letter of apology to the city of teneha (no joke) for not observing the ramp speed limit.

Thank God they finally re-opened 315 from 259 to Carthage. Teneha can be vaccuumed up in a tornado for all I care. I wonder if cities have to tell the state the amount of littering fines they collect...

Back