• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1000 mile update on my '07 Ulysses

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
This past weekend I completed my first 1000 miles on my new '07 Ulysses, unfortunately I didn't get my hard bags until today but that's another story.
Drove from Houston to San Antonio Friday afternoon. Rode the "Three Sisters" and various other roads Saturday. Returned to SA Saturday evening only to be greeted by an hour and a half of stop and go traffic for the Fiesta parade. Observations:

The bike handles super-slab and back roads equally well. I averaged mid to high 40's for fuel mileage with a low of 42 mpg and a high of 57 mpg. (the high was 2-3 gear behind some cruisers for 60 miles) The front end didn't want to hold a line on rr 336 when the pace picked up, but I think an adjustment would fix it. It held well on other routes but wandered a bit when pushed hard. Seat is great and wind protection is excellent.

Got back to SA only to spend 1.5 hrs trying to get back to the hotel. It was hot and humid. I would not choose an air cooled twin for parade duty, but it did just fine. The fan ran constantly and the lifters clattered for an hour, but it never missed a beat and never went to skip-spark mode. I was really expecting less when I got this bike, but this thing is amazing. I didn't buy this bike for "character" or to be in some group. I didn't get it because it's American made. I got my Ulysses for function only and I have yet to be disappointed.

When we got home, I did my 1000 mile service. (all except the TPS reset) The oil looked real good, tranny oil looked very clean, no leaks etc. Adjusted the primary and clutch. It all took about an hour and I'm good for another 5000 miles. This thing is the best kept secret out there.

Tonight I put my new bags on, all three. That took about an hour as well. They look and fit great. I'm really loving this thing. Fully adjustable Showa suspenders, big wide seat, good fuel economy, great front brakes (rear brakes are just average), all SS braided lines stock. It's a great alternative to the Multi-Strada and GS. It's somewhere in between those two. I hope this helps. :rider:

Got pics? This is another bike that has been sitting on my list of next bike potentials...

All the XBs are very finicky with suspension adjustments, mostly the rear shock because of that horridly short swingarm. However, if it's just the front that giving you issues, chances are the front tire is swimming on you. It's because of the center groove in the tire. Only tire I know of that behaves like that. Of course that is null and void when leaned over, it's only an issue in a straight line. But make sure the fork settings are stock as the book says first. Then go from there. Enjoy...very cool bike.

All the XBs are very finicky with suspension adjustments, mostly the rear shock because of that horridly short swingarm. However, if it's just the front that giving you issues, chances are the front tire is swimming on you. It's because of the center groove in the tire. Only tire I know of that behaves like that. Of course that is null and void when leaned over, it's only an issue in a straight line. But make sure the fork settings are stock as the book says first. Then go from there. Enjoy...very cool bike.

I nulled the settings out to stock when I got the bike. It's been solid everywhere else, 'cept RR336. I'm going to consult the manual and may add some comp. damping. I'm thinking the front might be chattering slightly when leaned over.

check the tire pressure first ;-) I know it seems obvious but there have been a few times when my pressure was not what I thought it was and it made the bike handle kinda odd...

check the tire pressure first ;-) I know it seems obvious but there have been a few times when my pressure was not what I thought it was and it made the bike handle kinda odd...

That's a very good point. Being a mechanic and all I tend to "blow off" working on my own stuff. The tire pressure probably is off a bit. Also, this isn't a Moto-GP bike, I'm not Nicky Hayden, and those aren't Diablo's on there. I traded in a sport bike and I shouldn't expect it to maintain the same corner speeds. ( I guess I should update my info and change my screen name. ;-) )

And another update: My wife (Mac) and I spent all day at the dealership yesterday. She no longer has the FJR. I will let her come in here and tell all what she got. Let's just say it's air cooled, yellow, and has grip warmers.

Seat is great and wind protection is excellent.

I have often wondered if the Uly wind screen would actually provide that much protection. It seems awfully small to provide any real protection. But maybe I'm simply spoiled with the big windscreen on the RT. I really, really like the Uly and every time I have to get something for my wife's Blast, I sit and drool.

Wayne

I have often wondered if the Uly wind screen would actually provide that much protection. It seems awfully small to provide any real protection. But maybe I'm simply spoiled with the big windscreen on the RT. I really, really like the Uly and every time I have to get something for my wife's Blast, I sit and drool.

Wayne

My last 4 bikes have been nekkid's :rider: , so the protection may be relative. So far this thing is awesome. It has its quirks, but get a test ride if you can. I think they even rent them at the Harley rental places.

5600 mile update on my '07 Ulysses

It's been a few months since I've reflected on ownership of my '07 Ulysses. Why you ask? Because I've been riding. :rider:

So far I have accumulated 5600 miles on the bike since April and all I can say is WOW! The bags are great, fuel economy is good, and durability is excellent. I did the 5000 mile service which is pretty much an oil change (using stock 20w50 HD mineral oil, don't even start an oil thread) and it just keeps ticking along. I've upgraded to the Buell Traction grips and it made a lot of difference in my hands after an all-day-ride. Also got an Airhawk seat cushion for the 200+ mile days, bliss. I've blasted a few dirt roads without much drama and it will cross the grass and jump a curb from the freeway with a little "dirt bike" experience. This thing wheelies in first easier than any bike I've ridden if that's your thang. :trust: I've had a passenger on it twice with no complaints. I still have some life in the rear tire, I think it will make 6000 with no complaints. It really feels like it's getting smoother and making more power after each ride.

Now the bad:
Yes you get hot air on your right leg, too much for a $10K+ bike, but anything thicker than denim and it is a non-issue. My Z1000 and the wifes FJR were very hot too, just not focused in one spot.

It shakes at anything below 2200 rpms. It's not a beemer, Kaw, Honda, Suz, it's a two-valve-air-cooled-v-twin. The shake may lodge stuff loose, check your hardware and use loctite! I've had stuff loose but not lost, it's really minor.

Turn lock-to-lock is low, meaning it takes two lanes to make a u-turn. This has been addressed for the 2008 model, but could be an issue if you go offroad alot. For me it's a minor inconvenience, I've gotten used to it.

The rear cylinder fan is noisy as H-E-double hockey sticks when you stop and shut down, or you're driving sub-sonic speeds. That's the one thing I don't like, shutting down at a scenic overlook and listening to the vacuum cleaner run for 5 minutes. It does have a purpose and I've grown used to it but it's as annoying as it sounds. My Z1000 fan would run constantly when it was hot outside. The water would get to 230 F and it would blow hot air on you all day, but the only way you knew it was running was by looking at the fan. Buell take note, quieter fan please. :mrgreen:

At lower speeds, the throttle is abrupt off and on. It tends to lurch a bit. This has also been addressed for 2008 with a new throttle cam and fuel computer.

Really all these items are minor for such a fantastic swiss-army-knife type bike. If you get a chance to ride one, do it! Don't ride another Buell model thinking they are the same. I made that mistake and almost didn't get a Ulysses. Once I rode an '07 on a demo ride, I had to have one! :clap: I hope this helps.

The deflector used to keep the heat off the rider's legs on the 08 will fit on the previous models according to this month's MCN review of the new 08. No idea what the part number is, but it just looks like a cover that snaps in place right under the seat.

The deflector used to keep the heat off the rider's legs on the 08 will fit on the previous models according to this month's MCN review of the new 08. No idea what the part number is, but it just looks like a cover that snaps in place right under the seat.

They sell them on the Buell website for pretty cheap. I just don't think the heat is a MAJOR issue, but it is an issue. I just try not to ride slow enough to let it bother me. :trust:

Thanks Greenzee,
I just happened into this folder hoping this bike was in here and you made my day!
This is my next bike and I am grateful for your honest review.
I may have to opt for the faster blue one...;-)
By the way what did your wife get?

The Uly and the TT are on the short list of new bike possibilities, as to get to the ranch is several miles of dirt roads. Don't think a GSXR would be much fun there and back.

I really like the powerplant in my Sporty for a street motor, and loved my test ride on a Lightning. I just want something I can go to Houston on in a day if I wanted to, without killing me.

Then again there's always the hope of a good deal on a used VSt...nah, don't say it. The collective will know...

Funny story... I pulled into Central Texas H-D with a trailer today. I just wanted to kill some time and see a Uly up close for myself. I thought the salesmen were going to have a fistfight over who saw me first. I couldn't shake the salesman, the sales manager or the finance guy. Finally just left because they wouldn't let me just browse. :eek2: Evidently, the trailer was the big clue they had a live one.

Funny story... I pulled into Central Texas H-D with a trailer today.

They figured you were ready to buy!

My infamy there is based on showing up on snowy February day to pick up my Sporty. They asked "Where's your trailer?" My reply, "I brought my helmet and gloves" :eek2:

They were in shock, and couldn't believe I was going to ride it home.

This past weekend I completed my first 1000 miles on my new '07 Ulysses, unfortunately I didn't get my hard bags until today but that's another story.
Drove from Houston to San Antonio Friday afternoon. Rode the "Three Sisters" and various other roads Saturday. Returned to SA Saturday evening only to be greeted by an hour and a half of stop and go traffic for the Fiesta parade. Observations:

The bike handles super-slab and back roads equally well. I averaged mid to high 40's for fuel mileage with a low of 42 mpg and a high of 57 mpg. (the high was 2-3 gear behind some cruisers for 60 miles) The front end didn't want to hold a line on rr 336 when the pace picked up, but I think an adjustment would fix it. It held well on other routes but wandered a bit when pushed hard. Seat is great and wind protection is excellent.

Got back to SA only to spend 1.5 hrs trying to get back to the hotel. It was hot and humid. I would not choose an air cooled twin for parade duty, but it did just fine. The fan ran constantly and the lifters clattered for an hour, but it never missed a beat and never went to skip-spark mode. I was really expecting less when I got this bike, but this thing is amazing. I didn't buy this bike for "character" or to be in some group. I didn't get it because it's American made. I got my Ulysses for function only and I have yet to be disappointed.

When we got home, I did my 1000 mile service. (all except the TPS reset) The oil looked real good, tranny oil looked very clean, no leaks etc. Adjusted the primary and clutch. It all took about an hour and I'm good for another 5000 miles. This thing is the best kept secret out there.

Tonight I put my new bags on, all three. That took about an hour as well. They look and fit great. I'm really loving this thing. Fully adjustable Showa suspenders, big wide seat, good fuel economy, great front brakes (rear brakes are just average), all SS braided lines stock. It's a great alternative to the Multi-Strada and GS. It's somewhere in between those two. I hope this helps. :rider:

I just piked up my new Black one Tuesday and I love the thing. I have two other Harleys , an FLHT and a Sportster, and this thing is like putting the two of them together and even better. Cant wait to get the boxes on it!

I have been reading all of the posts in this thread and thought I would add a few thigs. I have been riding both dirt bikes and Harleys for a long time and have an Electraglide, Sportster and a DR650 besides the Uly. The heat is pure Harley and the Uly motor is nothing more than a high performance Sportster motor. The good part is that my Sportster has 60K miles on it and I have not had any problems with it and even rode it all the way to the Artic Circle in 05. I have been wanting a Uly every since I saw the first one which was right after a I got back from my 11K mile ride to the Dalton Hwy and back on the Sporty. My big delimma was its off roading capabilities and so I bought a 91 R100GS and then traded it for an 06 DR650 to address my concenrs. I have not had the Uly on anything but pavement yet, but I can see that it will handle stuff like the Dalton, Cassiar and Top of the World Hwys just fine. I guess my only concern is tire selection. I am sure I can manage with the Scorpions since I did on the Dunlops on the Sporty, but then it didt do much raining on us either. So far this Uly has been awesome. I can't wait to put many more miles on it.

Back