• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The new Concours 14/New Kawa Concours - (merged)

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
The new Concours 14

Anyone else got serious need for this bike? I rode a ZX11 for 10 years, and I have a Honda VTX right now, but I'm kind of using the new Concourse 14 ABS as my motivational tool business wise. Anyone else impressed by what they've seen so far? Anyone actually ride one yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The new Concours 14

Morgan,
I'm not sure the C14 is the business model I'd be using. Kawasaki can't nail down a delivery date, won't confirm pricing, can't confirm basic specs. I was a Connie rider and I read everything I could get my hands on about the 14. My dealer couldn't even place an order for me.
BUT, the C14 sharpened my appetite for new technolgy including ABS -- so I traded my Concours for an '05 FJR 1300. Yep, it worked as a motovational tool for me, too.
I think that's not the way Momma Kaw wanted it to work.
BTW, in the earliest of the motorcycle shows last year, some folks got to sit on the C14. by the time of the Fort Worth show (October?) they weren't even allowing that.
Rumor has it there is now one production model in the U.S. but only the riders from the scooter mags are getting to ride it. Us ordinary mortals are still a ways off ... we just don't know how long the wait will be.
I haven't checked COG.org today -- maybe there's some updated information available.

Oh, the time line issue isn't any big deal to me. I won't be able to afford it reasonably speaking for a number of months. I've owned all 4 major Japanese manufacturer bikes, and I won't ride a Suzuki or a Yamaha again myself unless they do something to impress me. Just personal preference. I'd "settle" for a ZX14 before I'd get the FJR, and I think the FJR is a terrific bike... for someone who likes Yamahas.

What I mean by motivation is that I'm using my desire for one to motivate me. :)

I want one... and I want one BAD!!! Looking for more comfort for the wife than the ZZR. On paper, that beauty belongs in my garage. We'll see when I get to touch one in person. I don't even know how much it costs yet either! :doh: :mrgreen:

THat's kinda what I was thinking...saw it in person at the bike show, but wow looking at the little extras, I want one more and more. A Kawi dealer I know "thought" it should run about a grand more than the ZX-14.

THat's kinda what I was thinking...saw it in person at the bike show, but wow looking at the little extras, I want one more and more. A Kawi dealer I know "thought" it should run about a grand more than the ZX-14.

That would be quite shocking to me. I would love it but to think that all those extra do-dads would only run you a grand just doesn't seem logical... but I sure hope it's the case. :mrgreen:

Could be the case. Don't know... doodads yes. But detuned motor technology... who the heck knows? And frankly I don't think it matter what you do... it's all about what they think they can do for sales at various price points.

Morgan,
BTW, in the earliest of the motorcycle shows last year, some folks got to sit on the C14. by the time of the Fort Worth show (October?) they weren't even allowing that.

Yeah, bummer that they wouldn't even let you sit on one. At the Houston show the only one they had was on a barricaded revolving (and well-guarded) display. When I casually asked the Kawasaki rep if I could take it out for a quick spin, I got "the look". However, I did manage to touch it when the guy wasn't looking. :roll:

Steve

I have been working up my appetite for a ZX-14, even though I do want ABS and lectric shield. However,
- 5 times higher insurance cost
- $1000 for a pair of corbin hard bags
did the talking for me.

:doh:

I thought the corbin hard bags for the zx were more like $1800.... And yea, the insurance is CRAJY!

I love my '14 for sport-touring with Cortech soft bags (sport bags). Insurance isn't a big deal at about $550/year through State Farm for full coverage, $250 or $500 deductible (can't remember exactly) on collision, and $0 deductible comprehensive (theft, weather, fire, vandalism, etc). It's actually cheaper than my ZZ-R1200 was... I think State Farm is trying to get more motorcycle policies.

I've always liked the Kawasakis...this one has really peaked my interest. I've been looking for a good sport touring bike and this one might be the perfect fit for me. Wish the dealers would start getting them in...:drool:

I saw one at the FW show and was impressed. However, I don't think I'd buy one until all the bugs get worked out. AND there will be some bugs...

As of this moment, the FJR and ST are better bikes IMO. The test of time (e.g. sales and reliability) will be the determining factor, on which bike is actually better (brand preferences aside). It will take the Connie time to get there and it may never get there unless they put it at the same basic price point as the other bikes in its class.

Morgan,
I'm not sure the C14 is the business model I'd be using. Kawasaki can't nail down a delivery date, won't confirm pricing, can't confirm basic specs. I was a Connie rider and I read everything I could get my hands on about the 14. My dealer couldn't even place an order for me.

Sounds like they have been taking marketing lessons from the Italians..:eek2: :lol2:

The latest info from Kawasaki's website is summer '07. Still no info on price, and other significant specs. COG hasn't any new info either. I ride an '02 and can't wait to ride tha C-14.

A couple of things here. I am a member of the new Connie forum. I thought I wanted one bad until I saw it and how Kawi is handling (or not) it's release. My main interest was the engine/performance aspect of the bike it's really the only thing that distinguishes it from any other Sport tourer on the market in my opinion. My bro inlaw and another friend have deposits down on one. In my perception the look of the bike is similar to the FJR but not as refined. First year production glitches and bugs are a negative thing for this bike also. For these reasons and a couple of minor styling uglies from the rear view I noticed I went with an FJR. If and when it gets released and I turn out to be wrong, I'll just go get one.

Attachments

• Concours14.jpg
    Concours14.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 216

Want it yes I did, I have had a deposit down since last October. I am
growing tired of the delays and no firm price yet. On the upside I
have a guy that will pay me a profit for my deposit as he wants the
first one in Arkansas and the dealer I have a deposit with should
be the first to get one as he is the largest volume Kaw shop in
the state.

Interesting machine that might rattle the ST market.

These are my thoughts...

1) Reliability-The engine has yet to prove itself. There are BMW's and Honda's with well into six digit figures that run great. No one knows where reliability stands with the new C14. What about the suspension, frame, and final drive? The fancy electronics?

2) Ridability-Is its engine viby? That would suck for long distance sport touring. The ST13 is smooth as silk leaving no numb parts after hundreds of miles of riding. How are the ergo's and windscreen? If they suck are they easily changable? How many aftermarket parts will be available at the time of release if they need to be changed?

3) Maintenance-How easy is it to work on? How difficult is the valve maintenance and how often? The way the engine sits, that looks like it could be a very 'entertaining' chore. Final drive fluid changes?

It is easy to get caught up in the marketing hype of the new C14. If you have the disposable income to drop on a brand new machine and want to play that game, go for it. That's not something I chose to deal with.

On a side note, the new C14 is the second ugliest bike to be released from Kawasaki...right behind the ZX14. :puke:

On a side note, the new C14 is the second ugliest bike to be released from Kawasaki...right behind the ZX14. :puke:

To each his own I guess. I think the looks of the ZX14 are ok, but the C14 looks stunning!!! :clap: ;-) :mrgreen:

I'd disagree entirely on the "ugly" comment...that's why it's nice to have choices, I guess. I'm not likely to be getting a pre-release model at any rate. I'm sure I won't have one until 2008 so I'm not too worried.

Want it yes I did, I have had a deposit down since last October. I am
growing tired of the delays and no firm price yet. On the upside I
have a guy that will pay me a profit for my deposit as he wants the
first one in Arkansas and the dealer I have a deposit with should
be the first to get one as he is the largest volume Kaw shop in
the state.
I'm still first in line at Wild West. I've had my deposit down since Sept 29th. However, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pass on the bike. The Hayabusa was bought because of the delays in getting the C14 to market and it has turned out to be a fantastic "day tourer" - which is as far as I want to ride anyway. As such, have your friend give me a buzz - I'm sure we can work something out... ;)

Yeah, I wanted one. Yeah, I ordered one. Yeah I cancelled my order.

The bike is ugly. Well, maybe not UGLY, but I've never heard anyone say it was beautiful.

The bike is undeliverable. Kawasaki is proving that every day.

The bike will be unrefined if it ever gets delivered. Simple fact of first year bikes.

And so, I bought an '06 FJR yesterday. I bet Kawasaki sold more FJRs than anyone else.

Listen now so you can't say it again... "It's beautiful."

Would I deny that Kawasaki has had some trouble getting this bike out? No. But they never intended it to be an 07 model, they have simply yet to produce a PRE RELEASE 08. If it comes out by the end of July, it's still "PRE RELEASE 08."

Unrefined? The prototypes I saw at the bike shows looked awesome. The FRJ's are nice btw.

Back