• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mayday! Mayday! Falco Down!

L8RG8R

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Last Friday I attended a track day at Oak Hill Raceway in Henderson, Texas. Its a short and technical track built in the 70's originally for go karts.

I left my house at 4am Friday morning to arrive at 7:30am, just in time for tech and riders meeting. On the way there, I drove through TERRIBLE rain and just knew it was going to be a wet, soggy, and muddy track day. All of that aside, I was very much looking forward to it since this would be my first ever rainy track day.

The previous night, 6" of rain fell at Oak Hill which caused flooding around the track. At one part, there was a small ditch that had swollen well beyond its limits and was sending an 8" deep rushing river over one section of the track. By 11:30am or so, the rain had slowed to a drizzle and the rushing river had subsided to a 1" deep trickle. GAME ON! :mrgreen:

This was my first time on this particular track. There was standing water on the track and it was still raining. I and everyone else were taking it real easy and just cruising around. Brake and corner markers weren't being looked at (at least for me). Thats how slow we were going. It was more like just get around the track and dodge the standing water.

By the second session out, things started to dry up and the sun even peaked out a time or two. :sun: After a few nice laps, the track was drying out and the bike was really feeling good. I started down the straight and thought, "Man that was a great lap and the track is feeling good. Lets turn it up!" So there I went screaming down the straight now in full track day mode. I come in to the slight bend in turn one, referencing the corner markers and line up for turn two hard on the gas. I enter turn two, get to the apex and shoot towards the exit marker. OH @#$%!!! I had forgotten about a huge pool of standing water on the track. It was right in front of the exit marker. I tried to tighten my line but I was just going to fast. My front tire clipped the puddle about a foot in and started to tuck. :( But then I saved it! :dude: But it was too late, I was already heading off the track in to the swampy grass and mud at somewhere around 60-80mph. Immediately the bike started to shimmy and shake, lock to lock. I was certain a high-side was coming. I took pressure off the bars and started rapping on the back brake. The bike started to settle down! I actually thought for a second..."WOOHOOOO!! I can save this!!!!"

AND THEN....

Up ahead I saw the friggen lake that was causing the 8" deep river to run over the track earlier in the day. I was like: :eek: That water had to be at least 2-3ft deep and I knew there was NO chance of me making that. So I hit the water and me and the bike went down hard to the left. In fact, there was so much water spray, I remember it knocking my right hand off the grip. The bike and I went skipping, slipping, and sliding across the swampy terrain and came to stop. I was completely shocked that the fall didn't really hurt at all! Felt like a small Charlie-horse in the left shoulder. Most of my wakeboard and kneeboard crashes on the lake hurt WAY more. ;-)

So I picked up my bike in which every orifice on the left side is filled with mud, water, and grass. Two corner workers were there within seconds. One guy said, "DUDE! That was the biggest splash I've ever seen!". :rofl: I looked the bike over and at first glance I noticed the left turn signal was missing, light scrapes on the fairing, and coolant leaking from the left radiator. Other than that, things looked pretty good. I hit the starter and the bike cranked right up. A corner worker pushed me and the bike up to the track and I rode it around the track and back to my truck. My day was done.

After getting home, washing the bike, and further inspection, the bike has minor cosmetic damage to the left fairings, tank, and left can, no left turn signal (which I happened to have 2 extras of), and a broken mounting tab on top of the radiator which reveled a hole the size of a pencil eraser (not ideal for good radiator operation :mrgreen: )

I'll get the cosmetic stuff cleaned up and I have a fix for the radiator. I feel great and am VERY MUCH looking forward to my next track day. While some may think this was a disaster, I think it couldn't of happened any better. Not that I like to crash, but it was probably the best possible outcome there could have ever been. It was a real learning experience that I won't forget and this will probably be one of my most memorable track days ever. I will be back to conquer Oak Hill Raceway. I've just got others to attend first, with the next being on September 3rd.

My path to DOOM. :rofl:

Well, I thought gators LIKED swamps??:doh:

Glad to see you and the bike came away with only minor scuffs.

Come to the M & G tomorrow and bring some piccys!

Wow, glad you weren't hurt. My last crash in the mud and grass went about the same as yours did. Lots of nice slippery sliding and only a broken blinker and some light scratches to worry about.

I'm just glad you aren't hurt. That's the hard part to fix.

Sorry to hear you binned it....glad to hear you are okay. Sounds and looks like you got lucky. Had your direction of travel hooked to the right a bit more that could have really sucked.

I can't help but feel a touch of sadness at knowing that pretty little Falco fell down.

How many laps did you have per session? This was a few laps into your second session right?

I just did my first track day, it was at TWS. In the classroom after the first session we were asked which turns had corner workers. Due to tunnel vision, I had no idea. Its hard to imagine 6-8 laps and not remembering which turns have standing water, but I can see it happening.

Other than the track not draining real quickly, what do you think of the track? Designed for go carts sounds good and technical. Just the kind of track for the Thruxton.

Glad you came out good. Hitting mud at 70 just doesn't sound promising. Amazing you stayed up as long as you did. Congrats.

Hey it could have been worse you could have planted the front in the mud and gone flying over the handle bars. Glad you had fun and I am looking forward to reading about your next track day experience.

How many laps did you have per session? This was a few laps into your second session right?

Other than the track not draining real quickly, what do you think of the track?

Thanks everyone! To answer your question abouts laps, I have done several in session one, but the whole track was wet with standing water. Session two is when it started drying out and I think I had just started lap 3. I wasn't going near fast enough on laps 1 and 2 to even come close to that puddle. It was the beginning of lap three when I decided to really crank it up. Had that puddle not been there, I would of still had a good 10ft to work with and run even faster through it.

And what little of the track I got to run, I thought it was a fantastic track. Especially on a torquey twin. This track seemed to be pretty much point and shoot from one corner to the next. :rider: I'll be back!

Ah No!!! :(

Im VERY glad to hear you are okay!
But I am sorry about the boo-boos on the bike.

(you sure you're okay? Just wanna make sure, is all........)

(you sure you're okay? Just wanna make sure, is all........)

I'm just dandy! :mrgreen: I even sat through a 15 hour CHL class the next morning. My arms were a little sore the next day from picking up the bike. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to hold my gun steady during the proficiency test. I scored a 243 out of 250 so I guess it wasn't an issue. :lol2:

I got the radiator fixed tonight and should have the bike fully operational by Wednesday! :rider: :rider: :rider:

AF1 Racing has some used parts if you need any, and Henderson is a cool
little track, used to endurance race there back in the 80s on a 400F, it was point and shoot on a small bike as I recall. Glad you did not suffer any real damage to yourself or the bike.

As an upside you are probably in a very small group of riders who
has submarined a bike during a track day:mrgreen:

From what I remember of Oak HIll, your prolly lucky at those speeds you hit water and not what passes for runoff there.:clap:

Uh oh. glad to hear it was only minor damage.

Just stick some bubble gum on the radiator and go :trust:

This thread is worthless without pictures, :lol2:

Where are the pictures of the bike? :trust:

Glad you landed in soft mud and you and the bike are fairly okay. Oakhill is a track that I don't ever want to ride my big bike on. I wouldn't mind taking the xr100 out on it. :mrgreen:

From what the track looks like, you were very lucky! :clap:

For people curious about the track, here is a good write-up by nutmegchoi and her walk of the track that I liked. ;-) Oak Hill Report - Ethan Gillim benefit trackday

Back