• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

149 censor

Reaction score
First Name
rick
Last Name
hirsch
I heard that roadblocks were keeping sport bikes off of FM 149 on the weekends. That may be a vicious rumor. I live here and A) can't imagine them keeping me away from home.
B) Illegal profiling would be going on.
C) Ignoring the helmet, licensing and exhaust modifications that are illegal. Oh, Did that spank on the loud pipe thread? Sorry, I am very tired of the noise every weekend. In truth: wrecks/casualties Cruisers vs Sport= the same. The law enforcement guys are out here every weekend. I just want equal enforcement of the road regulations, that includes the bicycle riders. RH

First, call the LEA resposible for patrolling that area. They'll tell you if it's true or not.

And if it is true, notify the AMA legal center immediately:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/

Crazy as this sort of thing sounds, similar tactics have been tried before, and the AMA's lawyers and noisemakers have done a good job of putting such illegal discrimination to the wayside.

:tab Amen on the bicycle riders :lol2: They are often worse than horses when it comes to unpredictability!! I try to give them WIDE clearance when I have to get around them :wary:

:tab I have not heard anything. However, I cannot see how it would be legal. If the vehicles are street legal, then there is no reason they should be able to keep just those vehicles off the road if the road is still open to everyone else. There have been many law suits over this very issue. Tim's advice is very good. Find out if it is for real. Then if it is, call the AMA.

I haven't seen any roadblocks on 149 or 3090. I have seen consistent weekend speed enforcement in the typical ambush points like: welch road and a select few other hideaway areas or roads that intersect these popular areas. And yes the bicyclist events create tremendous hazards on this two lane F.M. with 60-70 mph speed limits. When they are having an event in this area I just go elsewhere, it's not worth the hassles and increased risks they create.

regarding bicycles, when our group rode to Ponder through Collin and Denton counties, FM 455 had "no bicycle" signs up. That is a first for me on an FM road.

Bicycles--hit the kill switch, roll up behind them, and tap the air horns.

Before condemning bicycle riders en mass, they do share some common traits with us.
1. Both groups are perceived as being tolerated on the roads at best or worst, despite laws.
2. Both groups have their "squids".
3. When I ride a bicycle, I ride it as a vehicle (the law), albeit a slow moving vehicle. I take my lane, but yield it when necessary to reduce impeding traffic.

Until 6 years ago, I used to ride the MS150 every year. There were land owners throughout the Belleville and Bastrop areas who would complain about having 8,000 cyclists descend upon their roads and make it hard for them to get in and out to run around. They tried vey hard to keep the MS150 from utilizing these roads again. If anyone had noticed that the MS150 has gone from 148 to 156 to 152 to 168 and a few other variations, it was because of selfish complaining residents who couldn't see past a little inconvenience for several hours 1 day each year for the sake of a very good cause. It was determined by the judges that it would be illegal to forbid the cyclists from using the roads, as they are subject to the same rules as motorists, but the organizers saw fit to be the better people and reroute the tour in certain areas.

I think the only way it would be legal to disallow certain motorized vehicles on the road would be if it presented a safety hazard, such as chemicals through a residential road or a high tonnage truck that surpasses a bridge's load limit. And those are good reasons in name of public safety. I really don't know if local jurisdictions can make up their own rules or not but I would imagine that they would not be allowed to violate a higher order of law regarding transport codes.

What is going on with this bicycle hatred and slamming. I don't get it? These people have more in common with the typical sport motorcycle rider than any one that we share the road with.
Yes I slow down and give as wide a birth to a bicyclist as possible but I have never felt that it was any skin off my noes to do so.
And yes horses are unpredictable on the road, but just imagine how scary we look to them.
Calm down and get a life enjoy the ride.:giveup:

Bicycles--hit the kill switch, roll up behind them, and tap the air horns.

That right there is funny. Another reason for air horns on the Civic.

Before condemning bicycle riders en mass, they do share some common traits with us.
1. Both groups are perceived as being tolerated on the roads at best or worst, despite laws.
2. Both groups have their "squids".
3. When I ride a bicycle, I ride it as a vehicle (the law), albeit a slow moving vehicle. I take my lane, but yield it when necessary to reduce impeding traffic.

I'm on the route of a weekly race. They are rolling pain in the backside, frequently riding three and four across the road blocking both lanes to prevent passing. Fine, be a jerk. But when one of the dump trucks comes flying around a blind corner physics will meet arrogance with painful results. Then I'll have to explain to my kids what the inside of a human body looks like splattered across a road.

What is going on with this bicycle hatred and slamming. I don't get it?

You need to live on a road that they infest. Most of the time, not a problem. Two or three will ride single file down the side, and if it's clear passing isn't a problem. Just like motorcycles, it's the "1%'ers" who try to enforce the law by riding across a lane and preventing passing and/or large groups that ride in a pack and strategically place a few bikes in the oncoming lane when there is no oncoming traffic. What are you supposed to do? It's the arrogance and holier-than-thou attitude that is annoying, not the bikes.

They also don't pay their fair share for the roads they use/block.

:tab I am not slamming all bicyclists. I spent many years riding them on very narrow paved county roads with no shoulder. However, I ALWAYS kept my lane position and was aware of traffic around me. Unfortunately, not all riders are like that. Just as with motorcycle riding, as the sport has become more popular, more riders with less discipline have come along. The vast majority of the riders I have encountered on FM 149 and other FM's in the area do a VERY poor job of being aware of other traffic around them and riding safely. Bicycles have as much right to the road as everyone else, but like everyone else, they need to do it safely and with an awareness of their impact on other people. I will condemn a bad bicyclist just like I'll condemn a motorcyclist if they are doing things that endanger everyone on the road ;-)

I'm on the route of a weekly race. They are rolling pain in the backside, frequently riding three and four across the road blocking both lanes to prevent passing. Fine, be a jerk. But when one of the dump trucks comes flying around a blind corner physics will meet arrogance with painful results. Then I'll have to explain to my kids what the inside of a human body looks like splattered across a road.
I'll have to call bull-corn. In all the years in Texas, and all the years in other places, I've never seen cyclists ride more than 2 abreast on a roadway. They follow the same rules as motorists and more than 2 abreast is a ticketable offense. The majority of cyclists know this. The exception would be a pre-authorized ride like the MS150 or a club race that is marked off with the approval and supervision of the local authorities. I also find it hard that you are on a weekly "race route." I'm sure they're training with their club. Most of them will ride the outside yellow line and only venture in the lane to pass. I did this for years with clubs and charity rides and know how it works.

I will admit that a lot road cyclists have a similar elitist attitude similar to old school BMW riders. They hate mountain bikers...think we're thugs and squids like biker boyz on Busas. Still, I've never known one to challenge a large hunk of rolling steel. They get over and out of the way.

You need to live on a road that they infest. Most of the time, not a problem. Two or three will ride single file down the side, and if it's clear passing isn't a problem. Just like motorcycles, it's the "1%'ers" who try to enforce the law by riding across a lane and preventing passing and/or large groups that ride in a pack and strategically place a few bikes in the oncoming lane when there is no oncoming traffic. What are you supposed to do? It's the arrogance and holier-than-thou attitude that is annoying, not the bikes.
You can say the same about a lot of motorcyclists in clubs and who ride is groups. You can say the same about the jerk in the Caddy who drives 50 in the 70 in the far left lane.

Best thing to do is find out the club and address it with the club's leader. Trust me, they don't want to get run over or see any of their friends get run over. The care about their own safety too much. I'm sure they'll bring it up at a meeting and take care of the problem. No one want a bad public image and they don't need the hassles from the LEOs.

They also don't pay their fair share for the roads they use/block.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure all those riders are licenced drivers who pay their taxes for their cars or trucks. If you think bicycles should pay a road tax, what would be acceptable? As they don't pollute or don't tear up roads because of their minimal impact, I would say any tax that is fair isn't worth the administration costs to collect. Lets's see, I pay $45/year for a 4700 lb SUV I rarely drive. My 22 lb full suspension mountainbike, on a similar weight/$ ratio would be $0.22/year. If it'll make you happy...I'll write you a check. PM me with an addy so I know where to send it.

BTW, bicyclists are legally obligated to register their steeds with the DMV. I won't claim to know any who do. Do you have children? Do they ride bicycles? Would you like to have to pay reg fees every year on them? Would you like even more idiotic legislation than already exists that sucks the passion out of our lives? Would you not like your children to enjoy, in the future ,what what all enjoyed as children ourselves?

Perhaps you're just angry because you've forgotten how to enjoy life. Never truer are the words "you don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing." Go out and buy a bike. Have fun.

I'll have to call bull-corn. In all the years in Texas, and all the years in other places, I've never seen cyclists ride more than 2 abreast on a roadway. They follow the same rules as motorists and more than 2 abreast is a ticketable offense.

:tab I'll have to agree with Chirpy on this one. I regularly see riders riding 3 and 4 wide in a lane. I understand that this is not what they are supposed to do, but that doesn't change the fact that they do it.

Perhaps you're just angry because you've forgotten how to enjoy life. Never truer are the words "you don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing." Go out and buy a bike. Have fun.

:tab Let's not make this ugly. I don't need yet another thread with people tearing each other apart ;-)

...BTW, bicyclists are legally obligated to register their steeds with the DMV. I won't claim to know any who do.

When I ride, I try to treat my actions just as if I were in a cage or on the GS, yet I've not heard of this. Could you please reference your source? When you say DMV do you mean TxDot or at a local/county level?

Curious.....

:tab I'll have to agree with Chirpy on this one. I regularly see riders riding 3 and 4 wide in a lane. I understand that this is not what they are supposed to do, but that doesn't change the fact that they do it.
So they don't get on over? It's not uncommon for them to ride 3 and 4 abreast when no one is around, but in my time, I have never not seen them move on over when a vehicle is coming. Is this out in the middle of nowhere...so to speak? Not that I would be arrogant about it, I'd still get over, I could then probably understand if there is at least a whole lane to get around. But I have to ask...how much of an inconvenience is it really to slow a bit and go around? Do you really end up losing a significant amount of time or does it meerly seem like it because you are irritated that the cyclists are in your lane?

Let's not make this ugly. I don't need yet another thread with people tearing each other apart ;-)
Agreed...I'm a little cranky I guess. I still think he needs some play time. We all do. It's healthy for the mind, body and spirit.:sun:

When I ride, I try to treat my actions just as if I were in a cage or on the GS, yet I've not heard of this. Could you please reference your source? When you say DMV do you mean TxDot or at a local/county level?

Curious.....
It's just something I've known since my first bicycle 33 years ago. As for DMV, TxDOT or local...you know what...I really can't remember. I've admitted to not doing it myself. I do remember there was a theft prevention fee attached in there soomewhere and I think that is what is was about for the most part since we aleready paid sales tax on the bike. Not that I'm against it, I just never saw it important enough to go out of my way to do. If you do, you do get a sticker for the bike. Of course any thief can peel it off.

It's one of those things like bicycle helmet laws for those under 18, the cops don't enforce it because it isn't worth the hassle dealing with parents who can't believe the absurdity of it.

...think we're thugs and squids like biker boyz on Busas.
I pretty much disagree with everything you've said, but I really have to take exception with this one. Who you callin' boyz? Most of the 'Busa riders I know are old farts like me. :doh:

Some of you guys need to chill out. I swear, sometimes it's like Romper Room around here with a bunch of kids sucking on pixie sticks. Take a nap and come back later... :yawn:

... frequently riding three and four across the road blocking both lanes to prevent passing. Fine, be a jerk. ..

Chirp, yea 3-4 across is bad form and also illegal. So is passing on a solid yellow, speeding, etc. To me, the broad bush was heavily painted in your response.

:tab Amen on the bicycle riders :lol2: They are often worse than horses when it comes to unpredictability!! I try to give them WIDE clearance when I have to get around them :wary:
TM, help me understand how this wasn't bashing and a broad stroke, too?
:shrug:

There's definitely bicycle jerks... and MC jerks and truck jerks, etc., etc. A group of 20 Porsche's back in May passed my wife in a car and me on my bike on blind curves, etc. Not every Porsche driver is a jerk. Just the ones that drive like it.

A quick search turned up it's a county thing to resister the bicycle. This one here is for Harris County in particular:

Sec. 45-311. Required.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a bicycle wholly or in part by muscular power within the city unless such bicycles is registered with the city as provided in this division.

(b) Any person operating a bicycle which is owned by a nonresident of the city and which is currently licensed pursuant to the requirements of any other Texas municipality shall be exempt from subsection (a).

(c) The term "operate" as used in this section shall mean to ride, walk with, park, stand, or be in possession of; excluded from the meaning of this term shall be in the possession of bicycles held for sale by one who engages in the business of the retail or wholesale sale of bicycles.

(Code 1968, § 46-289; Ord. No. 72-1598, § 1(1), 9-6-72)

Sec. 45-312. Administration.
The police department shall administer the provisions of this division except where hereinafter otherwise provided. The police chief or his authorized agent shall issue consecutively numbered books of bicycle licenses to the fire chief or his authorized agent. The officer in charge of each fire station shall be responsible for registration, issuance of licenses or decals and the collection of moneys as provided for in this division.

(Code 1968, § 46-290; Ord. No. 72-1598, § 1(2), 9-6-72)

Sec. 45-313. Procedures, fees, etc.
Bicycles shall be registered at any fire station in the city pursuant to the following terms, conditions and requirements:

(1) The bicycle shall be brought to the fire station.

(2) A registration form provided by the city shall be filled out and signed by the owner of the bicycle.

(3) A registration fee of $1.00 shall be paid in advance.

(4) As evidence of the completion of the above paragraphs, the city shall provide a decal or license plate which shall be permanently affixed to the bicycle according to specifications established by the police department. The city shall also furnish the owner with a registration card.

(Code 1968, § 46-291; Ord. No. 72-1598, § 1(3), 9-6-72)

Sec. 45-314. Registration to be permanent until change of ownership.
The registration of a bicycle shall be permanent so long as the ownership thereof remains in the person registering the bicycle. Upon any change of ownership, the bicycle shall be registered in the name of the new owner in accordance with the requirements of this division.

(Code 1968, § 46-292; Ord. No. 72-1598, § 1(4), 9-6-72; Ord. No. 74-1732, § 1, 10-1-74)

Sec. 45-315. Removal, destruction, etc. of manufacturer's serial number, license plate or license decal.
It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully or maliciously remove, destroy, deface or alter the manufacturer's serial number on the frame of any bicycle, or the license plate or license decal applied or attached to any bicycle registered under this division, while such plate or decal is valid. Violation of this section shall be punished as provided by section 1-6 of this Code.

(Code 1968, § 46-293; Ord. No. 72-1598, § 1(5), 9-6-72; Ord. No. 92-1449, § 63, 11-4-92)

Charter references: Penalty for ordinance violation, Art. II, § 12.

Cross references: Assessment of fines against corporations, § 16-76; payment of fines, § 16-78; credit against fines for incarceration, § 35-6 et seq.

Sec. 45-316. Sale or transfer of ownership of bicycle.
It shall be the duty of any person who sells or transfers ownership of any bicycle registered under this division to report such sale or transfer, within ten days thereof, to the police department of the city by returning the registration card together with the name and address of the person to whom the bicycle was sold or transferred. It shall be the duty of the purchaser or transferee of any bicycle to register same according to the provisions of section 45-313 of this Code, within 20 days of the sale or transfer.

(Code 1968, § 46-294; Ord. No. 72-1598, § 1(6), 9-6-72)

Sec. 45-317. Reports of bicycles permanently removed from operation.
Within ten days after any bicycle licensed under this division shall have been dismantled, destroyed or otherwise permanently removed from operation, such information shall be reported to the police department by the person in whose name the bicycle was last registered.

(Code 1968, § 46-295; Ord. No. 72-1598, § 1(7), 9-6-72)

Sec. 45-318. Monthly reports of dealers.
Every person engaged in the business of buying, selling, trading or otherwise exchanging new or used bicycle or bicycle frames shall make a monthly report to the chief of police of every bicycle or bicycle frame bought, sold, or otherwise acquired or transferred, giving the name and address of the person from whom acquired or to whom transferred, a description of such bicycle or bicycle frame by name or make, the manufacturer's serial number and the license number, if any, found thereon. Any violation of this section shall be punished as provided by section 1-6 of this Code.

Sec. 45-319. Responsibility of parents or guardians; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to commit, or for the parent or guardian of any minor to knowingly allow or permit their child or ward to commit any act forbidden by this division or to fail to do any act required by this division. Unless expressly provided otherwise in this division, a violation of this division shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $5.00.

(Code 1968, § 46-297; Ord. No. 72-1598, § 1(9), 9-6-72; Ord. No. 72-2309, § 1, 12-20-72)

Charter references: Penalty for ordinance violation, Art. II, § 12.

Cross references: Assessment of fines against corporations, § 16-76; payment of fines, § 16-78; credit against fines for incarceration, § 35-6 et seq.

I pretty much disagree with everything you've said, but I really have to take exception with this one. Who you callin' boyz? Most of the 'Busa riders I know are old farts like me. :doh:

Some of you guys need to chill out. I swear, sometimes it's like Romper Room around here with a bunch of kids sucking on pixie sticks. Take a nap and come back later... :yawn:

Oh, calm down...it's a reference to that garbage movie "biker boyz." As much as you don't like it, there is a stigma about the Busa that can't be shaken as it is the overwhelming bike of choice for that crowd.

Tourmeister said:
Amen on the bicycle riders They are often worse than horses when it comes to unpredictability!! I try to give them WIDE clearance when I have to get around them

TM, help me understand how this wasn't bashing and a broad stroke, too?
:shrug:

How is it bashing to state the fact that they are often unpredictable? Is this untrue? It's like if I said the "Golden Arches" are really just yellow. As for the broad strokes, sometimes they're necessary. Do you have the time to analyze every cager on the road for competency before you ride in the lane next to them, or is is simply safer to assume they're ALL idiots and give them a wide berth?

The next time you're on a twisty road with a Porsche coming up fast behind you, are you more likely to assume this guy is different, or are you more likely to assume he's going to do something unsafe?

On 149, me on my VTX approaching 4 wide bicycles... they don't notice... Maybe this is one event in support of loud pipes. I think that the real problem is the difference in speed. It seems that "we" know that this is a problem. It is in the regulations of the NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle). These little electric cars are prohibited on roads with speed limits in excess of 35. As bad as I dislike regulations, it seems that bicycles moving slowly on roads without a shoulder cause trouble for one reason or another.

So, everyone that rides a bicycle that is not registered in Houston is breaking the law? Darn, wish I had this law handy on the discussions about LEOs and speed limits and law breaking

I find it quite sad that many in this thread are complaining about a type of vehicle being excluded from a road but have no problem excluding a different type of vehicle. :rolleyes: My opinion of a few TWT members has dropped quite a bit.

Back