• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Bike Hates Me

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
My panniers, tail bag, and tank bag are packed.

All that was left to do was get out of work early tonight (much begging involved), pick up the bike, and hit the road for the slab ride to Alabama for an ADV rally.

But Wilbur doesn't want to go.

After wrenching all day Saturday, I noticed my idle was running high. I attributed this to my TB Sync, and adjusted it back. The next time I fired it up it revved high again, but after warming up to three bars on the temp gauge it came back close to normal. I thought maube I'd crimped a hose or forgotten a connector when I put the bike back together.

Monday night after bike night & football, the bike stalled at a light. I had always used the starter (yes, while the bike is still running) to get the sensor to trip and allow me to make a left turn. It didn't start up right away, so Biwwy and Sparky blocked traffic while I pushed it across the intersection. We let it sit for a minute (I was fuming and cussing, as you can imagine) while Sparky called Mollie to ready the pickup and ramp. I guess I had flooded it, because after sitting a bit it started up again. Biwwy followed me home and I sulked for a while.

The next morning, I called Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited and as soon as he heard the symptoms he had an idea what was going on. I told him about my trip - the longest solo trip for me to date - and he said "get it here".

He made me a priority, and I thank him dearly. He said if it was what he thought it was, I could have it back the next day (today) and the trip wouldn't be affected.

While the bike sat overnight waiting to be looked at, it leaked oil and coolant. I'd never noticed this at home, but they had taken the belly pan off before leaving for the night - so the leak had been disguised at home. I'd also not ridden more than ten or fifteen miles total in the last six weeks, so I could have easily overlooked it in passing.

He called with the prognosis a few hours ago. The idle issue is fixed, but while looking over the bike (he is very detailed) he found other issues - the biggest of which is a leaking clutch push rod seal. From the looks of it, he says it's probably been leaking a while, although I hadn't noticed the oil level decreasing (but again, I haven't been riding it). He spent half his afternoon calling around to parts suppliers and dealerships trying to get me taken care of, but it was no use - nobody has what we need. Parts ordered, I was prepared (against his advice) to take a quart of oil with me and check at every gas stop along the way.

He set to the task of getting the bike back together so Becca (RocketBunny) could go pick it up for me before the shop closed. I was going to leave tonight and hit the slab after-hours to avoid heat and traffic - but then I got another call. Tightening all of the hose clamps for the cooling system didn't stop the leak as he'd expected. He wasn't able to immediately locate the source of the leak, so there's no telling what kind of fix that will end up being.

My trip is shot. I can't chance getting stranded - or worse, crashing - because I wanted to have fun on a bike that just isn't up to it. Could I have made it? Maybe. There's a good chance I would have been Ok with extra upkeep through the weekend. Then again, oil could fling onto the back tire causing me to careen off a cliff. I'm not willing to take that chance.

For those that doubt my wrenching - neither of these problems are related to what I did (or didn't do) last Saturday. The bike has 44k miles on it and is subject to wear and tear just like any other mechanical device. I might have been lax on routine maintenance all along, but this probably would still be the case.

Thanks for letting me vent.... :zen:

sorry your trip is busted.

maybe it's for a reason tho. it may not be apparent right now, but it will reveal itself later.

Use it as motivation to get it up and running for a heck of a good pie run route.

Every silver lining has a dark cloud inside.... wait that doesn't sound right. ;-)

Sorry to hear about your issues.

I had plenty of my own and was finally forced to trade it in on a car, because even at half its value I couldn't in good concience sell someone a safety hazard.

My light truck broke my heart, so it will likely be a while before I start looking for a replacement.

Take care and be safe in whatever you end up doing now. Hay there's always a party in Austin. ;-)

Use it as motivation to get it up and running for a heck of a good pie run route.

It won't be ready. With the trip out of the question, I told them to go over the whole thing and let's get it back to 100%. They'll have a list (a long one I'm sure) next week of what should be done on it.

I might drive over to the pie run. We'll see.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that Squeaky. The clutch push rod seal is a common failure on these and the SV's. I understand the frustration and disappointment. Hopefully, a Saturday with good company and a LARGE piece of pie will help.

bummer.
I hope wilber gets back on his feet soon
[I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to name my bike]

...sorry to hear it, I had a similar experience on the GSXR1000 a few years back.... and it couldn't have possibly happened at a worse time. (going to a funeral)...:doh:

But if you wanna go on the pie run, I'll offer to come pick you up... (please don't get the wrong idea!)... I'll even offer to ride... well, you know "on the back".....just don't tell anyone..;-)

Jeff

huh? the XR isn't street legal?

Nope. Haven't gotten to that yet.

But if you wanna go on the pie run, I'll offer to come pick you up...

I'd take a back seat. I like being chauffered. I'll see how I feel and let you know. I'm pretty bummed, so I might not be in the mood for a crowd. :giveup:

I'm pretty bummed, so I might not be in the mood for a crowd. :giveup:

Did I mention that Cassie and Savannah are coming with me? Guaranteed that you can't stay bummed with them around.

C'mon Auntie Rebecca!

Sorry about your trip, but be happy that you found these issues at home rather than at Poedunk, AL.

I broke down once in Florida, and had to pay for storage until I could get back with a trailer. Ever ridden a Greyhound bus for 24 hours?
Trust me. It ain't fun.

I'd take a back seat. I like being chauffered. I'll see how I feel and let you know. I'm pretty bummed, so I might not be in the mood for a crowd. :giveup:

but you're forgetting one of the few things in life I know to be true...

pie makes everything better

I'm sorry to hear your trip is scratched.... Taking care of mechanical stuff should be high on the list for the very reasons you mention. I'd hate to hear something went South just for the sake of making a trip.

Time for a second street legal bike for instances just like this?

Time for a second street legal bike for instances just like this?

Not quite. I'm stretched already with the XR, Strom, and cage. I'll be lucky to hold onto these.

bummer. Hang in there, Becca. There's light at the end of the tunnel somewhere. Queen Izzy is not on my Christmas card list at the moment, either, but still ridable. Hope things come together for you soon.

Bummer... :doh:

Come play with the kids... that will put things in perspective ;-) :eek2:

Oh no!! That sucks Rebecca!! Better to take care of it now than getting stranded on the road. And while they're at it, they could recheck/adjust the valve clearances for you... (heheh, stirring the pot here...)

Hope they Wilbur fixed up quickly for you and that it doesn't involve a lot of $$...

And while they're at it, they could recheck/adjust the valve clearances for you... (heheh, stirring the pot here...)

Might as well get the blender :mrgreen:

Once we knew the trip was off, I told him to put my bike back in line where it should be on the priority list and we'll go over what it needs - including the valves. I told him what the clearances were and he didn't fault me for leaving it.

Well, not to my face... :lol2:

Back