• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yankee's Tavern - Carlos, TX

MFer49

Reaction score
From Navasota, TX to Carlos is Hwy 3090 which is Rated Number Seven out of the Top Ten Motorcycle Roads in Texas by Ride Texas Mag. Lot's of Twisties and Curves with two ninties. Watch for other Bikes as this is a Very Popular Biker Road. When you get to Carlos Check out Yankee's Tavern. This is a Very Popular Biker Hangout (all types) with the Best Hamburgers in Texas.....

http://www.yankeestavern.com/

Hmmm...........

Never ate there. The couple of times the wife and I stopped there we were totally ignored and didn't even get offered something to drink.

No big loss. The crowd there seemed to me to be more interested in getting tanked up before heading back into town than anything else. :party

It can get awfully full of Harley posers on Sundays (provided the weather is nice). The hamburgers are good but it takes forever to get one. The attitude of all the posers is laughable - watching them duck-walk their bikes in because they can't control them at slow speeds and then get off like they just rode in from Ft. Stockton. :roll: They're Harley branded head to toe - jacket, shirt, hat, jewelry, boots, etc and don't mix with the people that actually ride motorcycles.
I stop there about 3 or 4 times a year maybe. Really it's only if the group I'm with goes there. The wood burning stove in the middle of the room is nice when the temps are in the 40s.

10-95 is right about the place.

Yankees

I go there a lot nice 80 mile ride from the house 3090 is the best twistys in east Texes at the end near 244 you can set a nice rythem at about 60 to 70 . in the spring time you have to be cool every time I go through there there will be A couple of Crusers with paper plates in the ditch . I go easy on top end the Sherrif dept . sets up regularly.Go early if there are more than 20 bikes in the lot it will take 45 mins. to get a burger. SEYA

10-95,

That was my experience also, my brother and I would go there to eat and get a beer. And 2 times in a row we walked out totally ignored. Obviously not very good staff there, you are in a bar and cant get a drink. You would think they could look around and see people with out anything period....DUH Not Rocket science here!!!! WE will not go back there, we found some better places closer to Lake Somerville!!!

Todd

Been there once on one of Bushwhacker Bill's rides, and thought it was alright. You might need to approach service there as sort of a DIY proposition. I walked up to the bar, placed my order and got my drink (bottled water :mrgreen:) served immediately. Can't report on the food since it wasn't a meal stop.

Re: Yankee's Tavern

Yes, you would be much better off just going up to the bar and ordering what you wanted instead of having someone come wait at your table. I've gotten something to drink with no problems doing that. The burger is good but just don't be in a big hurry to get one...wait time the two times I have gone is about 30 min and 50 minutes...though they were quite busy with well over a hundred bikes in the lot.

Postman said:
Yes, you would be much better off just going up to the bar and ordering what you wanted instead of having someone come wait at your table. I've gotten something to drink with no problems doing that. The burger is good but just don't be in a big hurry to get one...wait time the two times I have gone is about 30 min and 50 minutes...though they were quite busy with well over a hundred bikes in the lot.
they have this BIG baked potato with sirloin on top. man that was great ALTHO i think they only have it on wednesday and fridays. something like that.
burgers and onion rings are good also.
It is mostly a Harley hangout but that's cool also.
I like parking my busa or v-max under the "harley Parking only" sign
later
Michael

Not a bad rest stop at all. True it does have a lot of Harley people who look like pirates to me but if they are having fun then its all good. Get there early, as mentioned, I think there were only 10 bikes there when we pulled up and it still took 30 min to get my burger. I don't think the cook is multi-tasking...

I have lots of friends that go to Yankee's and it IS a DIY bar. Most of the folks out there are good as gold even if they don't look like it. (yes, I ride a Harley) The bar close to Somerville is also owned by Yankee Mike, I believe, as is the one in Snook. All who know him have VERY good things to say about him!
Go out and have a beverage of your choice and enjoy!

I generally stop up there once a month or so. The locals and real harley guys generally grab the tables to the left of the door and they're the good ones to chat with. Showing up on the ZZR was sometimes interesting. The guys that are always there like to talk bikes and it doesn't matter if its a sport bike or not -- they'll give you some flack, but its all in good fun. They even make fun of the poser crowd too. Yesterday was pretty funny when a pack of them left. They were making some really off color, really humorous comments. I said "Man, I wonder what y'all say when I ride off..." The response was, "Well ****, yer were just a **** blue blur every time... never got enough chance to say anything!"

Its definitely a poser crowd for the most part, but you can find the guys that just like to ride and it doesn't matter what yer on. It'll take about 5 seconds to pick them out.

Nico

:tab We stopped here Friday on our DS ride for lunch. The food is good, but nothing special. It is a nice location and I like the abundance of outdoor seating. The cruiser types have never given us any problems. They do look at us funny when we walk up covered in dirt. I was a bit dismayed to see the amount of alcohol some of the people were consuming. I'm not talking one or two beers either. Some of the guys I saw had that unfocused stare and some really red eyes. However, this did not stop them from hopping on their bikes and thundering away! I just hope they all made it home safely :roll:

If you leave right behind a drunk rider you do have to be very careful passing them , Just be careful and take your time, Most will turn right at HI 30 , the few that continue on 244 will be thinned out at the top of the hill before the 3090 turnoff . There is no grass growing in that ditch. By the time you turn on 3090 it's usally all clear. SEYA

we stop out there on a semi-regular basis

when it's slow - they will come and take your order, when it's slightly busy or more - you have to go and place your own order at the bar - but aren't most places like that!? every one I've been to has been like that anyways - I don't think going to a place like that and expecting good service is going in with the right attitude...lol

last time we were there (in full leathers mind you) we were looked at by an awful lot of people...would have thought we were missing body parts or something with the way they were stairing....

lots and lots and lots of posers - but not so bad that it would prevent me from going out there...

every time we've been the food has been pretty darn good (burgers every time). Sure you have to wait, but it's not exactly an 1/8" patty that's been sitting ont eh grill just waiting on you either! it's a hardy burger that's put on the grill when you order it, not before...so it's fresh. Just do go there if youre in a big hurry, just relax and enjoy the scenery - or laugh to yourself at all the posers....whichever....lol

:)

DucGirl said:
it's a hardy burger that's put on the grill when you order it, not before...so it's fresh. lol

:)

Only if there are less than a dozen bikes in the lot including yours. LOL

Generally you can expect it to be put on the grill about 30-45 minutes after you order it.

As DucGirl said DO NOT GO THERE TO EAT IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY.

The burgers are generally a little over cooked for my taste but they are thick and meaty.

Most of the people I ride with on a regular basis really like this place so I am out there at least once a month and generally more often than that.

-

My family owns some land just past Kieth so I am up there a good bit and usually stop for a beer or burger or both. The place has been there a long time and I enjoy stopping in for the show. I love riding my DR with the Safari tank on it up there. I get a lot of looks, Like what the heck are you doing here. Yeah, the place is full of posers, but so is just about any other place that there are bikes. I would say 90% of all bike owners are posers. So what the heck.

I ride that 3090 and that area regularly. Some of the better riding in the northwest is around here. Yankees is a joke. Just another destination for wannabe cruisers that ride to drink and drink to ride. If there is anything dumber than drinking and driving it's drinking and riding, how irresponsible.:roll: :loco:

IT is for sure, an order at the bar kind of place. The "show" of bikes is what I enjoy. Scott, I also wonder how some of those guys make it back home after drinking so much beer. The chili that they serve is by far, the best I've ever had. Seroiusly. The owner is for sure a rider. He has been, make that ridden, to most all the big rallies in this country. All in all, it is a neat place to go in the afternoo. Another place near-by thats "catching on" is Lake Bryan. (which is a few miles North of Bryan, TX.) Try it.

I went there last year when a cruiser group had an Hawaiian shirt day, service was slow but the burger was good and I was in no hurry. I had a great time and need to go back.

Some time I need to get together a DS ride. We can go ride all of the CRs around Iola and Carlos and go over to my place and ride some enduro too. Then we can head to Yankees and have lunch or dinner. Maybe even go back and camp out at the place if any one is game.

The food is above average but the entertainment is excelent . If you are in a hurry go to micky D's , they are fast , the food sucks and no entertainment other than the people behind the counter . Yankees is a good ride for me , good food and always somebody to visit with . I end up there at least once a month . SEYA

Back