• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Twisted Throttle windscreen.

Reaction score
I got my windscreen from Twisted Throttle today and installed it. I will post pics once my batter is recharged.

It was $100 well spent.

I like it because it is tall, but not overly tall like the Givi one. It has two slots in the middle unlike the photo on the website. At first I didnt like the slots but you cant see them really, it doesnt take away from the look of the bike. The wind goes right over my head, and I'm 6"0 tall. So I like it. Maybe the Givi one is better I would have to compare them together (anyone who has one come ride out to San Diego so we can compare), but it is good enough for what I want.

I think the major change about the windscreen, is that now I sit up straight on the bike, and don't sloutch trying to get away from the wind. No more wind in my chest.

Here is the one I got.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1781/

The biggest pain installing it was not the windscreen, but Suzuki's 'rubber bolts' they have holding on the inside fairing and windscreen. If you don't hold the bolts from behind with your other finger when putting the inside fairing back on, the bolts will push through and drop into the bike which means you have to take it apart again and try again. So if you install a windscreen, and you put back together the fairings, hold the bolts from behind with your other finger when putting it back together.

I will post pics when I have some.

JM

I'm on the fence between MRA, Skidmarx, and Powerbronze. Dale Walker is supposed to have a Powerbronze in stock for testing soon.
Give more details contrasting the stock screen and the MRA screen when running at 70+ mph. Please! :)

camperjohn, you have now put me on the fence. I was ready to purchase the Vario Touringscreen because I didn't think the screen you purchased would push the wind over my head. I am 6' also. I have heard from others that the Givi and MRA like yours made the wind smack you right in the helmet.
How fast have you been since the change and do you notice any wind hitting your head? Thanks for the input.

I can't find my battery charger. So pics will have to wait.

The windscreen throws it right over my head. I still get side wind if I pass a truck, but that's about it. I have been up to 85mph and the wind never hits me in the face.

It is not perfect though. I rode my old VFR 750 and the VFR has less wind. Remember however that the VFR is a really croutched down bike, and I am sitting bolt upright in my Bandit. But the MRA screen doesn't make my Bandit into a goldwing. Maybe this is what the Vario does. Maybe it is "really really good", while the MRA screen is only "good".

There may be better windscreens, but I am happy with this. It is wAAYYY better than the stock windscreen. Even if the GIVI is 2% better (but could be 2% worse I don't know), anything is better than the stock screen.

The MRA screen has a curve upwards at the tip, throwing the wind over my head. While the stock windshield actually curves down towards the rider, throwing the wind into the riders' chest. It is only about 2 or 3 inches taller than the stock screen, but the angle makes the wind throw past me. Even at 85 Mph.

I can't go faster than that, since I am still in the break in period, and 85mph is about 4500 RPM in 6th gear. Although once it is past the break in period, I will return with a report at much, much, MUCH faster speeds. ;-)

JM

I can't go faster than that, since I am still in the break in period, and 85mph is about 4500 RPM in 6th gear.
OT, and just fyi, there are alternative theories out there about breaking in motors. The motoman method is very popular (and quite fun ;-)) People who's mechanical knowledge I trust (and am quite envious of!) recommend the same method.

Re the screens, I went for the one with the lip. Won't arrive for a coupla weeks tho... :doh:

Re the screens, I went for the one with the lip. Won't arrive for a coupla weeks tho... :doh:[/QUOTE]

Let me know how it is once you get it. I think the one with the lip looks cool, but I wasn't sure.

JM

RE: MRA Vario Touring Windshield
Very interested in finding out where the air hits you and the noise factor.

Keep us posted.

Here are photos of the MRA windscreen.

I installed the black trim around the top for the photos only - so you could see where the edge is. I threw it away after since I like a clear edge rather than the black edge (it blocked my view when riding so I just got rid of it).

mra095cm1.jpg

Great pics, John, thanks.
Where was the wind hitting you when you were riding with the stock screen? (I'm trying to gauge how far up it moved.)

The wind hit me flat on my chest, and even puffed out my jacket. Now my jacket doesn't puff out anymore.

There is still wind on my face and neck a bit, but hey I'm out there in the wind sitting straight up. There is no real escaping that unless the screen is 12 inches taller or I trade it in for a Goldwing. But It is much, much better than the stock screen.

Your garage is way too clean. You need more stuff.;-)
overall, how is the bandit holding up?

I used to have it PERFECTLY clean. I mean, nothing on the floor, everything organized and labeled. Then I got a roommate...

Its good. All the stuff they say about it is true. The handle grip does wiggle, there is pressure on the hands, the wind does hit you and the windscreen is important.

But the power is clean and smooth. I like it much more than my VFR750. Although it is hard for me to get used to the upright position after 15 years of driving sportbikes.

I bought fairings on eBay for $450. Factory red. I think they guy has more if you want. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&viewitem=&item=130170170213#ebayphotohosting

Oh the horror.

There should be some kind of forum rule preventing the posting of disturbing images such as this. SOme things are just *wrong*.

;-)

Yes you're right. The counter top is full of stuff and the ladder is not hanging up on hooks.

I feel shame.

JM

I'm on the fence between MRA, Skidmarx, and Powerbronze. Dale Walker is supposed to have a Powerbronze in stock for testing soon.
Give more details contrasting the stock screen and the MRA screen when running at 70+ mph. Please! :)

Just came off the Holeshot site and after looking at the Skidmarx double bubble screen Dale sells for the 1250 Bandit.
I must say the Skidmarx screenn really looks good and if I were 5' 10" or less would buy this screen. This looks like it would work great for riders 5' 10" and shorter. I'm still having the same old dilema as all the other screens for the 1250 Bandit. That being finding Nirvanna in a a shield for riders 6' 0" and over. That sit tall in the saddle in addition have raised the riders seat an additional 3/4" (20mm) higher.
So the search goes on and like you GregH will wait to see what the Powerbronze screen will bring to the 1250 Bandit.

I spoke with Dale Walker on the phone last night about screens and ended up ordering the Skidmarx Double Bubble.
It was fun talking to him - he's rabid about motorcycles in general and the Bandit in particular. He was getting his Bandit all pretty for the motorcycle show this weekend. Dale kept saying, "Man, I've got to get back to work" and then we'd talk a little more about riding, the windscreens, the Nerf Bars, twisty roads, etc. It was a lot of fun.
Finally, he had to hand me off to Liza so I could order the screen and he could get back to work. :mrgreen:

Can't wait to hear how it works for you - you might have mentioned it already, but how tall are you & what inseam? I'd like to get a taller screen myself; I'm 5'11" with an inseam that varies from 32-34 depending on whose jeans I'm buying.

Back