• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nacogdoches County DS'ing...

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
I left Houston to head to my Parents for Thanksgiving weekend with great hopes of riding the bikes a couple of days. Too bad mother nature had other plans for me. But I did get to go out and play for a little while Friday.

Decisions, decisions... which bike to take?

225737518-L.jpg

I ended up taking the GS and set off from Mom & Dads around 10am or so. Here is a map of the roads I took.

225740036-L-2.jpg

It was a beautiful day out, a little cool, but sunny. There had been rain on Wednesday which made for some muddy spots, but it was windy enough that for the most part the dirt roads had dried out some. What made it better was that the sandy sections which normally eat me for lunch were just damp enough to firm up the road.

I ended up riding down to the Angelina river bottom, and only hit a FM road for about 5 miles. All the rest was dirt. I did ride for a little bit on oil top, but that was less than 2 miles.

Not much of a ride report but it was a nice day out to be riding. I was home around 1pm and settled in for some good football games and spending some quality time with my dad.

Here are a couple of pics of my ride.

225737587-L.jpg

225737632-L.jpg

225737775-L.jpg

225737830-L.jpg

225737883-L.jpg

225737935-L.jpg

225737993-L.jpg

225738025-L.jpg

225738095-L.jpg

225738214-L.jpg

As the day went on Friday the weather slowly started to turn and by nightfall it was raining. Saturday it was still raining and colder. I ended up coming back to my house Saturday night after the Mizzou/Kansas game and left both of the bikes up there. I will get them back to my house one day.

Until next time,
Duke

... left both of the bikes up there. I will get them back to my house one day.

Just leaving your options open for the next ride since they're both there - how convenient! So when the's "recon mission" playdate? :rider:

Thanks... I realize this was not much of a ride report. But it is an area that I call home and thought I would share. Those roads were perfect for just put-putting along on a beautiful day. However those same roads can eat you up if we have a prolonged dry spell and the dirt becomes sand. Or if it is too wet then you can forget about getting down to the river as the road is impassable to anything but to quads...

There are miles upon miles of these roads out there I could put a route together that will put you in 4 different countys (Nacogdoches, Angelina, San Augustine & Shelby) and the only pavement you will ride is while crossing over from one dirt road to the next.

There are miles upon miles of these roads out there I could put a route together that will put you in 4 different countys (Nacogdoches, Angelina, San Augustine & Shelby) and the only pavement you will ride is while crossing over from one dirt road to the next.

All the posts related to the ride plan for the above comment have been moved here:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23152

I ride around Groveton Tx. Your pics look just like the type of roads i love to find.

I had a KLR650 a couple of years ago and really miss it. Right now I have a KLX250s. I thought I would like the smaller bike. It is great on these dirt roads but is lacking in comfort and on the black-top.

My question is: Do you think a V-strom 650 would do as well as your BMW on those dirt roads. I am considering another KLR650 or a V-strom 650.

Thanks
Doug

I ride around Groveton Tx. Your pics look just like the type of roads i love to find.

I had a KLR650 a couple of years ago and really miss it. Right now I have a KLX250s. I thought I would like the smaller bike. It is great on these dirt roads but is lacking in comfort and on the black-top.

My question is: Do you think a V-strom 650 would do as well as your BMW on those dirt roads. I am considering another KLR650 or a V-strom 650.

Thanks
Doug

Hi Doug, Ive had both bikes and can tell you that roads like these are pure bliss on the KLR650 in my opinion they are what the KLR was made for. The strom is more top heavy and street bikeish and you have to be much more cautious on ruts and loose dirt roads - On the other hand a 400 mile day on the KLR was miserable and would take me 2 days to recover from. On the Strom I can do 400 miles and not even feel it.

:rider: Best to just get one of each:rider:

Hey Greengoose...........

I notice you have a DR650. Do you think the DR650 can be made as comfortable as a KLR650 for long rides ?

thanks
Doug

Hey Greengoose...........

I notice you have a DR650. Do you think the DR650 can be made as comfortable as a KLR650 for long rides ?

thanks
Doug

I havent had it long but I dont think it could be as comfy as a KLR on the street its much more dirtbikeish and has a more cramped seating position. I got it to ride around on local country roads and trailer to DS destinations. theres a huge DR650 thread over on adventure rider forum that you should check out if your considering one

The roads in the pictures look PERFECT for a TW200. Anybody plan on riding slow enough to smell the roadkill?

The roads in the pictures look PERFECT for a TW200. Anybody plan on riding slow enough to smell the roadkill?

Jump in on the ride. You'll have a blast! And this ride has been well established as "your pace" or "anyone's pace" is completely acceptable.:sun:

Back