• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Zumo 550

brutus

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Smertneck
As I promised in the for sale thread where I sold my Zumo 450 I will post my impressions of the 550 I replaced it with.

First of all the 550 comes with a car mount which is cool since I don't have to move my bike mount to my Jeep. The car mount installed in like 5 minutes including time to get the package open. The 550 paired with my cell phone quickly and easily. The next thing however wasn't expected. I went to Best Buy to price bluetooth headsets, I assume that I would need one since the pairing with the Zumo would take over the microphone. After perusing them I decided to check online before dropping $100 for a decent headset plus I wanted to get the loudest one possible so I figure I needed to find some reviews. When I got back in my Jeep the Zumo paired with my phone and a call came in. I immediately got flustered because I couldn't figure out how to unpair the phone to take the call. I accidentally answered the call and the callers voice came over the Jeep speakers, and like a standard crazy person I was talking to myself "dang it how do I get this thing to work!" and the person on the other end said "get what thing to work", me "you can hear me?". Yep. So the Zumo just worked as an in car hands free, the person on the other end said they couldn't tell I was on a hands free. Even more amazing I could actually have a conversation in my Jeep Wrangler with no top on it. I didn't expect any of that.

Next the integration of the phone into the GPS is really cool. When you search for something like a restaurant you can call them directly from the GPS. When calls come in the number appears on the GPS screen. This is great because I know who is calling and if I need to stop and take it. The only negative at the moment isn't Zumo related, I need to get a cable for the Autocom which will connect the microphone to the Zumo. It's a three pole connector which splits to work specifically for the 550. It's also an $85 cable :eek2: Once I get that I can finally make the fabled phone call while riding my motorcycle. Another awesome thing about the Zumo as a phone/GPS/MP3 source is that when a phone call comes in it automatically mutes the music and GPS during the phone call. No scrambling to turn down the radio while answering the phone, it's all nice an seemless.

The 550 comes with an AC adapter, 12V in car adapter, automobile cradle and the standard motorcycle mounting equipement. The auto cradle costs an additional $75 so part of the price difference is made up there.

But other than that the 550 does what the 450 did fantastically, the addition of the cell phone functionality is excellent. Another thing that the 550 also does is say the street names like "turn right in 500 feet on Plano Road" instead of "turn right in 500 feet". So far a minor difference but I could see where it would make a difference at some point.

So if you are looking for the phone functionality the 550 is excellent, but if you are not the 450 is perfect.

I have been using the 550 for about a year now. I am using the "Edsets" cable and microphone to interface with the Zumo. I have the XM add on for the Zumo. I did convert the in-helmet speakers to Shure SE 210 earbuds, I just could not hear the phone well with the speakers. Now I can take and make phone calls at highway speeds. Comments, especially from customers, are fun to hear. They cannot believe I am on a motorcycle! I liked the bluetooth capabilities so much that Santa is bringing me a C550 to leave in the truck full time. They are about the same price as the better hands free phone installations and you have the GPS navigation also.

Where did you get the Edsets cable? How much did that cost you? The Autocom is awesome for music and based on what I hear in the side tones when I talk I think the audio quaiity will be very good.

What's a C550?

Brutus, just go to www.edsets.com

I am not too interested in bike to bike or passenger communications so the Autocomm route did not make sense for me. The sound quality of the microphone is outstanding. The in helmet speakers just were not loud enough for me so I cut them off and made a jack to plug in my earbuds. The cable simply plugs into the Zumo motorcycle mount. You don't even have to remove them when taking the Zumo off to put in something else. The cable to helmet connection has worked perfectly for me also.

The c550 is the Garmin navigation unit that looks sort of like a Zumo. It is not waterproof, or vibration proof. It does have the same bluetooth capabilities of the Zumo. It can be bought for well under $400. Perfect to leave in the vehicle!

Where did you get the Edsets cable? How much did that cost you? The Autocom is awesome for music and based on what I hear in the side tones when I talk I think the audio quaiity will be very good.

What's a C550?

Edsets Full Face Helmet Version including the Zumo cable - $172. Cheaper for you to get the Autocomm cable.

C550 - I'm guessing a typo.

Here's an alternative headset. Better price. Starcom thread on Zumo Forums: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=701.0 This is what I suspect I will end up with. And may remove the speakers and wire in earbuds depending on how it works.

Edsets Full Face Helmet Version including the Zumo cable - $172. Cheaper for you to get the Autocomm cable.

C550 - I'm guessing a typo.

Here's an alternative headset. Better price. Starcom thread on Zumo Forums: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=701.0 This is what I suspect I will end up with. And may remove the speakers and wire in earbuds depending on how it works.

You should be able to order the Starcom headset with the earbud connector instead of the speakers.

The edsets would have been a cool idea before the Autocomm, but the Autocomm is a pretty sweet system. I can't wait to get the GMRS radio and probably an XM reciever. That's a complete audio/communication system, downside is I will have about $1600 in all the components! But that's why it's so good...

The 550 rocks! I have it integrated into the Wing's intercom system, also with the XM add on :clap: The Bluetooth feature is nice to have when Zumo'ing down the road and the cell goes off :doh:

The car mount saved me when I moved up here... would have never found my way around the Denver area without it :lol2: Would never have found food :lol2: Ended up buying the wife a Nuvi so I could get my Zumo back from her :eek2:

You should be able to order the Starcom headset with the earbud connector instead of the speakers.

Really? I'm thinking if the speakers are loud enough I'll go with them. I've been using earbuds and the sound is good and so is the noise blocking, but they are a pain to keep in my ears when I put the helmet on. Plus I get a little extra pressure on them from the helmet. I'm debating about a headset or higher quality earbuds at this point.

In any case, I really like the 550. Had it just over a year. It's even taken a couple of knocks offroad and survived.

If you are having trouble with the ear buds falling loose try one of the silk or cotton helmet liners. There is also a big difference in brands of ear buds. I can wear mine all day with no pressure points at all. They stay in better than others because of the way you can fit the different size earpieces onto the earbud.

Re: Zumo 550 and excel files

Does anyone out there know how to import an excel file of coordinates into a Garmin Zumo 550?

Re: Zumo 550 and excel files

Does anyone out there know how to import an excel file of coordinates into a Garmin Zumo 550?

You mean to use the a POI's (points of interest)? Or as favorites/waypoints?

As POI's, save as a .csv (comma separated value) format file. I don't remember the order, but it is latitude, longitude, name, optional description (or swap lat and long). Then use the POIloader to load them. Better description on POI Factory

Seems like same format can be used with gpsbabel (free on the internet) and converted to gpx and then read directly by Mapsource.

I would like to use the shure se 210 earbuds on my J@M cb radio with xm

does anyone know if you can do that?

Rusy,
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try tonight. I'm trying to use three columns in excel (lat, long, name) and save them as favorites. I couldn't get past the first step in POI loader because it wanted a Garmin format for the import data.

I would also like to create subfolders in favorites. Is that possible?
Tod

Rusy,
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try tonight. I'm trying to use three columns in excel (lat, long, name) and save them as favorites. I couldn't get past the first step in POI loader because it wanted a Garmin format for the import data.

I would also like to create subfolders in favorites. Is that possible?
Tod

In custom POI's you can create subfolders. What I do is make a POI folder on my PC, then have folders under that. Right now mine has a three files and six folders under POI. Arizona, Texas, Parks, Cameras, Coffee and "Food, Beer and Wine". The files are Austin area, Cycle Gear and RestAreas.

I usually save mine in gpx format. I use a tool called GeePeeExEditor to read csv files and I add dialable phone numbers to the POI's. I forgot that is can be used to read a .csv and save as gpx. That's a way to load them as favorites with Mapsource.

Favorites cannot have sub folders, btw. Just POI's

Semi highjack: I think I might like this:
Google, Garmin link up for GPS trip info
The link between online mapping services and global positioning devices is growing stronger.

Starting Tuesday, people using Google Maps to plan trips will be able to send location data to their Garmin GPS systems, the companies announced on Monday. The feature, called "Send-to-Garmin", will eliminate the need to re-key route information into GPS devices.

Likewise, Garmin has inked a deal with Mapquest to send mapping information from that online service to Garmin's GPS products. The service is expected to launch in April. Mapquest already lets people send mapping information to mobile phones.

Roughly one year ago, Garmin and Mapquest launched application programming interfaces intended to encourage developers to write applications linking GPS systems to online services.

Thanks for everyone's help with my new Garmin. I think I'm up and running getting the Custom POI's to load.

I'm messing around with loading mpeg music files now. The problem so far is that when you view the files, the artist and album name is "unknown" so all of the files just get lumped together. I'm sure there's a way to get the Garmin to recognize the artist and/or album but don't know where I'm going wrong.

Any ideas?

I have another question. I can download Mexico maps in a .img format that should be compatible with Garmin hardware.

Just uploading it into the zumo didn't seem to work, is there something else I need to do? Is there a nifty web page that will detail this for me. I am new to the GPS thing.

I have another question. I can download Mexico maps in a .img format that should be compatible with Garmin hardware.

Just uploading it into the zumo didn't seem to work, is there something else I need to do? Is there a nifty web page that will detail this for me. I am new to the GPS thing.

I believe you have to add the map to Mapsource, then use the map tool and create a mapset to download to the Zumo. Well, I'm positive on the last part. I'm just not sure how you add it to Mapsource. The Bicimaps sample I downloaded had an installer that added it to Mapsource so it shows in the pulldown of installed maps/products. Then it was easy to send it to the Zumo.

Where did you get the maps?

Check out this site It has quite a few maps.

I forgot that I've been to that site before. Couldn't find anything in the FAQ there, but saw a link with one of the recently uploaded images for the U.S. It had install instructions with seemed a little complex, but the key seemed to be this program: http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/ It seems to create some index files and adds it to Mapsource. I've got a lot of projects running at this moment so I won't be able to experiment until next week. I'm moderately competent wandering through the Windows registry and it looks like that would be a good skill for doing this.

If you figure it out, please post up.

I think I am one step from getting that program to work, the TBD part is what is getting me. I shall actually read his directions later.

Who has the best prices for the Zumo 550 & accessories?

If you do not mind used, zumoforums.com has a for sale section ;-)

Other than that, we did an internet search when we bought mine.

Back