• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Replacement Seats/Saddles?

Reaction score
OK, I searched a little - not too much.

This stock seat is going to have to go. What are the best aftermarket seats out there? I saw a good looking Corbin for the Bandit, but want to know if there are other cheaper alternatives. The seating position is almost perfect, the bike is very powerful and very smooth - good for long-range touring (with some bags).

The stock seat is hard for one. For two - it slopes too much forward. It's interesting that I actually loved the stock Katana 750 seat (2006 model). It was almost flat and had a LOT of cushion.

Thanks Guys.

Well... I could raise the seat, but the owner's manual tells you to ask the dealer how to do this. Looked briefly at the seat bottom yesterday and it's not readily apparent to me, but then again, I was never mechanically inclined. Could somebody give me the quick down-and-dirty on raising the seat? From what I read, it's set to the low position at the factory, and my legs will reach the ground from a bit higher position. Might help for butt comfort as well.

I'm too cheap to buy a Corbin or Mustang (they don't make them for my bike, anyway). I've tried cheap pads (for ATVs), beaded covers (a very good improvement), sheepskin (OK), and finally sprung for a Saddlemen's seat kit. Hard as pine for weeks. Raised my seating position about an inch. Still getting it settled in, have spoken with tech support at Saddlemen's (very good folks), and am hopeful it will soon be a good compromise between firm and soft. It looks great.

Well... I could raise the seat, but the owner's manual tells you to ask the dealer how to do this. Looked briefly at the seat bottom yesterday and it's not readily apparent to me, but then again, I was never mechanically inclined. Could somebody give me the quick down-and-dirty on raising the seat? From what I read, it's set to the low position at the factory, and my legs will reach the ground from a bit higher position. Might help for butt comfort as well.

I thought that was supposed to be pretty easy. I think it tells how in my shop manual. I pretty much ignored it because my Bandit doesn't have the adjustable seat. I'll check it out.

Bump - don't tell me all of you have cast iron butts and put up with this seat! :lol2: My butt is old (45) and needs some cushion.

Nope! My 59 year old but suffers as well. I have my name in at Sargent for the release of their version of the Bandit saddle/seat. I have one on my 650Vstrom (Iron Butt SS1000 on it) and had one on my BMW R1100S (thought I would never pee again after a 670 mile day on the stock seat). I have no interest in Sagent, just a very satified customer!
Willie

I've adjusted the seat.... Makes a bit of difference for me. Still going to go with the Sargent.

I have a Corbin on my VFR and it's a big difference compaired to a riding buddy's stock 04 VFR seat, but it came with my bike when I bought it and I doubt I would have paid the $400 it costs for a new one had it not already been included in the sale of the bike. IMO $400 is absurd for a seat....... but maybe I'm just either too cheap or too poor. lol

IIRC, if you ship Sargent your stock seat they will put in their foam and send it back. Should be cheaper that way than just buying a whole customized seat from them.

Also, maybe keep an eye out on E-Bay, I see Corbins every once in a while for the VFR's so maybe there are some for a Bandit.

I really like my Rick Mayer Saddle, very similar to the Russell as they
are brothers although Russell no longer owns Day Long as I understand it

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

Here is a pic of my mayer saddle

Attachments

• New Blue 008.jpg
    New Blue 008.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,002
at 4k miles and my seat does not bother me that much anymore, maybe my butt is hardened now from it.:lol2:

After almost 5K I have started to get used to the stock seat, and it doesn't seem to bother me as much as it did, but I have pre-regestered with Sargent seats, for a new seat they will be coming out with for the Bandit next spring.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/suzwsbandit.htm

+1, I never thought it was that bad to start with, but it doesn't bother me much at all anymore. I'm usually ready to stop and stretch out by the time the seat becomes a problem.

One thing that helped me was raising just the front of the seat. Takes away some of the forward tilt the seat has and makes it more comfortable, at least for me anyway.

trey

http://www.alaskaleather.com/

I like these a lot and stock seats have never bugged me much other than my KLR, but **** the Corbins for the KLR were horrible too IMO, I's go Russel or Sargent if I needed custom seat from what I have read.

KLR/Corbin was the worst combo EVER for me!!!!!!!!!!:giveup:

I have been riding with a hunk of aircraft grade pilot seat sheepskin I took out of one of the jets for the driver seat of my Bandit. It is tan so it looks like crap but it's very comfortable both in hot and cold weather. God designed sheep well !! :-P

My wife ordered an Alaska Leather Buttpad for me for Christmas. It should be here in the next few days. It is a Pillion 1 size for the driver seat only, is black, and is sheared to 1". It also has an elastic strap or two that hold it on to the seat. When it gets wet (God forbid) you simply shake it radically and it goes dry. I hear they are very comfortable.

Anyone tried one of these yet?

And yes, pictures will follow once on the bike.

See it at http://www.alaskaleather.com/prices&sizes2.html. It will look alot like this:

Buttpad.jpg

Got one on my Ninja-great stuff.

I have been riding with a hunk of aircraft grade pilot seat sheepskin I took out of one of the jets for the driver seat of my Bandit. It is tan so it looks like crap but it's very comfortable both in hot and cold weather. God designed sheep well !! :-P

My wife ordered an Alaska Leather Buttpad for me for Christmas. It should be here in the next few days. It is a Pillion 1 size for the driver seat only, is black, and is sheared to 1". It also has an elastic strap or two that hold it on to the seat. When it gets wet (God forbid) you simply shake it radically and it goes dry. I hear they are very comfortable.

Anyone tried one of these yet?

And yes, pictures will follow once on the bike.

See it at http://www.alaskaleather.com/prices&sizes2.html. It will look alot like this:

Buttpad.jpg

Phil,

Can't wait to hear how this works out for you, as this may be something I might try out.

I've been very happy with my Sargent seat. Looks great, feels great. Good value for the money. Longest day on it so far was 999 miles.

I've been very happy with my Sargent seat. Looks great, feels great. Good value for the money. Longest day on it so far was 999 miles.

RR Rider,

I'm pre-regestered for the new Bandit seat Sargent will be coming out with next spring, but between my butt getting used to the stock seat, and the seat breaking in, I may not need to purchase a new seat, but I am still anxious to see what their new seat looks like.

Back