• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2008 Gsf 650

Reaction score
let me know what you think about the new GSX 650!
some of the items like frame covers, tail section, clutch cover, look like they were taken directly from the 1250.

img3278ki2.jpg

img3279ea6.jpg

img3280ss0.jpg

finally a set of lowers i like!

a couple more pics i didnt post originally because i didnt think they were good, the bike was on a box and roped off, i had to reach out at arms length to get the dash shot, with senility comes shaking. more pics below added.......from long beach cycle world show. this bike was the first bike you saw when you walked in the big building, i wanted to come back and take more pics later, but camera had run out of batteries by then. (i did register to enter the drawing to win one, tho)

img3282nm3.jpg

img3283qn5.jpg

img3284so0.jpg

It also looks like that its using the same handle bar risers, rear foot peg brackets, muffler, rider foot peg brackets, turn signals, wheel and brakes, shifter lever, and maybe also the rear tail section.

Oh my gosh, it's a rebadged Bandit 650 w/ a fairing. :-P

Actually, I think they are sweet and thought about one. They should sell like hotcakes but the American buying public is consumed w/ liter + bikes.

Once GIVI makes some bags for it, it should make a nice mid range tourer.
Does it have a centerstand?

Once GIVI makes some bags for it, it should make a nice mid range tourer.

If I had to guess I bet they already have luggage planned for it, Bandit 1250 racks should bolt right up.

Is it the angle of the picture or are the handlebars a lower bend more sport oriented.

Roy

I had a look at one of these at my dealer and yes, the bars have less rise than the 1250 but the bend is the same (still putting pressure on the outside edge of your palm). It looked like the same bar that was on the 2007 650 Bandit they had parked next to it.

Something that caught my eye was the taller risers on the baby (650)bandit, about an inch taller than the 1250! I wonder if they would fit? I've looked for an exploded parts view of the 650 but haven't found one.

The 650 is only 21 pounds lighter than the 1250. The frame and several plastic pieces look identical and the wheelbase is the same. My guess is the big difference is the fairing, colors, handlebars and the missing 600cc. I'll keep those extra 600cc, pretty handy stuff when you want to play. Enjoy the ride. Cheers, jack

Yeah, the weight has been my concern on this bike also. My wife currently rides a SV650. We were thinking about this as her next bike, but with the weight of it, I can't help but think that she is better off sticking with what she has. May look into an FZ6 for her or something similar instead.

Yeah, the weight has been my concern on this bike also. My wife currently rides a SV650. We were thinking about this as her next bike, but with the weight of it, I can't help but think that she is better off sticking with what she has. May look into an FZ6 for her or something similar instead.

One issue with the FZ6s is you have to rev the daylights out of it to make it move quickly. I would imagine she has been a bit spoiled by the drivability of the SV. Personally, I'm a big fan of the SV650 standard model. I've had two of them ('00 & '05) and they were a blast to ride. My guess is an equal rider on the SV will run circles around a GSF650. I view the SV as one of the fun bikes of all time. For your wife, one bike that comes to mind would be Triumph's new 675cc Street Triple. They retail for $7999 and everything written about them has been incredibly positive. How much experience does your wife have? If she'd feel comfortable on the GSF650, she'd feel comfortable on the 1250. If you need to lower the seat height, Dale makes a rear suspension link that lowers it an inch or so and you could have the seat scooped out if necessary. I kinda view the GSF650 as neutered 1250S (all the heft without the gonads). I think that 650 is going to be in a strange place because of it's weight and seat height. It is a bit heavy for new riders unless they are pretty big and experienced riders won't be satisfied with that level of performance. I'm not sure where it's niche is because of this. While they have sold well in Europe (especially the naked one we don't get), I don't think the American public will be as charmed by an overweight middleweight. Time will tell. Cheers, Jack

One issue with the FZ6s is you have to rev the daylights out of it to make it move quickly. I would imagine she has been a bit spoiled by the drivability of the SV. Personally, I'm a big fan of the SV650 standard model. I've had two of them ('00 & '05) and they were a blast to ride. My guess is an equal rider on the SV will run circles around a GSF650. I view the SV as one of the fun bikes of all time. For your wife, one bike that comes to mind would be Triumph's new 675cc Street Triple. They retail for $7999 and everything written about them has been incredibly positive. How much experience does your wife have? If she'd feel comfortable on the GSF650, she'd feel comfortable on the 1250. If you need to lower the seat height, Dale makes a rear suspension link that lowers it an inch or so and you could have the seat scooped out if necessary. I kinda view the GSF650 as neutered 1250S (all the heft without the gonads). I think that 650 is going to be in a strange place because of it's weight and seat height. It is a bit heavy for new riders unless they are pretty big and experienced riders won't be satisfied with that level of performance. I'm not sure where it's niche is because of this. While they have sold well in Europe (especially the naked one we don't get), I don't think the American public will be as charmed by an overweight middleweight. Time will tell. Cheers, Jack

She is a new rider. About 7 months on the SV650 now and it is her first bike. She has taken to it very well. She ocassionally makes mention of how she thinks it may be time to move up. Personally, I think she should stick with what she has. I love that bike. Sometimes I wish I had it instead of my Bandit 1200. Maybe I will just trade with her. The SV650 is a blast to ride. Sure do wish they still made the SV1000 naked. That was a cool bike. I agree with a lot of the other posts here, the GSF650 is just too heavy for what it is. Why is that?

Back