• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Charlie's Pasture; A Step Back In Time

thumper

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
tim
Santa had a special gift for me this year. My wife and I returned to my home town of Port Aransas Tx. for X-mas. I of course brought along my DRZ to putz around the island.:rider:

It's still the sleeply little town it's always been during the off season, but there were also some signs of the Miami Beach effect starting to settle in. A new condo here and a few more over there. Sometimes progress really ruins things.:argh:

A few years back, I came home to find our offroading meca as kids to be posted and barbwired. This was Charlie's Pasture on the backside of the island. In the early seventies we cut many a singletrack out there. It was a place to learn how to and how not to ride. Rust and broken chains on anything from Hodakas to Elsinores, we worked feverishly on keeping our bikes running just to ride another day.:borg:

To my surprise, this trip the fences were gone along with the signs and there was a slew a jeep roads that followed many of the original trails. I wasted no time in getting a crack at the pasture. It's much flatter than it was 35 years ago, but it was still a hoot with many years of memories.

Here's a few pics at the end of the line aka Caster's Cut.

HPIM1599.jpg

HPIM1594.jpg

HPIM1593.jpg

And a very fun unedited vid.This is the main drag. You'll notice there are many forks of varying difficulties throughout the vid. I spent the rest of the afternoon riding each and everyone and recalled some pretty tough crash sites from way, way back when times were always fun.:sun:

th_HPIM1603.jpg

Later, I asked my Dad, "So what's the deal with the pasture being opened again". I was disappointed to here that the city had bought the land and it was in transcition to yet another "birding oppurtunity". Hah, fat chance they'll get many tourist to huff it all the way to Caster's Cut:lol2: .

Oh well, it was pretty neat to ride there again.Btw,The conversion will take at least a few years, so if your down that way, bring your fishing pole and by all means don't forget your DSer.;-)

Last edited:
cool, thanks for the pics and vid. Port A is one of my favorite places, and I share your views about progress. I was lucky enough to go fishing again this year, in the off-season. Can't wait to get back.

I saw you looking at the puddle in beginning and I could hear your thoughts "Should I go for it or not?" Don't lie now, you looked at it twice and I could see the wheels turning....

Cheers, Tim. Hope you and your family have a great new year.

Yes and good that I didn't go for it. You can hear the DRZ struggling to feather it's way through the easier line!:lol2:

Happy New Year!:sun:

Back