• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Parking a scoot - Houston

Reaction score
I've been trying to find out for quite some time where to find the rules, regulations, or laws regarding where a motorcycle can legally park here in Houston. I realize we can park where ever cars park, but I've been around town and have seen bikes that park in non-parking spots, park on sidewalks if they aren't blocking free flow for pedestrians, and other rather creative places. Don't these folks get tickets? I would like to get creative with parking spots as well if I didn't fear receiving a nasty ticket or 20.

It would also be nice to park the bike downtown while at work outside of a paid parking lot (saving a huge chunk of change each year ;-) ), but there's just way too much fear that a cop will ticket the bike if it is in one of these creative spots as mentioned above.

I went to a police substation and asked for help on this matter. I was pointed to call some person (non-police) and wasn't able to get in contact with that person. So I stopped searching cause my online searches were fruitless too. I would like to have something more formal (in writing on an official city website) that states what is allowable so it's not a he said/she said kinda thing when I get a ticket and have to see a judge. :eek2:

Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(My apologies upfront if I am restarting a thread that has already been started, I've tried to search all the topics to keep from it, but with the 1000's of topics, I might have missed one.)

I would think the safe tack is to assume that if you park in non
specific spaces its a roll of the dice on your part as to what the
outcome may be and if it is ticket, towing or whatever you basicly
gave up your rights to complain when you knowingly placed your
vehicle out of a standard space.

It may or may not be legal parking, but assuming just because its a motorcycle grants it special rights and treatments above and beyond
other licensed vehicles is just like assuming that since my Truck is bigger than someone's compact it always gives me the right of way
(it works often but that does not make it right)

We all do something in the course of our daily lives that is usually outside
the accepted norms, speeding, rolling through stop signs etc all i am saying
is that if you chose to play dont blame someone else if you lose

After looking at your post and seeing you already went to the police and they
declined to give you a yes or no I would assume that means the law is vauge
in the reading and they can either enforce or ignore it as the situation warrants

All that being said, have I done it before? Yes I have.
Will I do it again sometime? Probably, do I make a habit of it. No

I've been to a couple of bike events downtown where we parked on the sidewalk, but not so as to block pedestrian traffic. We weren't hassled by the cops. But if I were planning on doing it on a regular basis, I'd want to know what the law specifically states. We might have just gotten lucky those couple of times (each time it was about a dozen bikes). Been to a few bars in the Montrose area as well where we parked on the sidewalk. Again, no problems, but again, maybe the cops didn't feel like giving us a hard time.

Some parking garages have motorcycle parking. I've asked about this before. One time when I had jury duty, I asked the attendant if they had motorcycle parking. She said they did, and a few of the judges there actually used it on a regular basis. While a parking garage will cost, nice thing about it is your bike is out of the elements and at least somewhat protected from casual thievery.

Best,

Michael

I parked the 250 Ninja at what looked like a bike rack on a sidewalk near Minute Maid Park when I attended a baseball game last summer. There was already a big scooter parked there.

When I came out, both bikes had tickets on them.

I just paid it.

If you park anywhere other than a regular parking spot for cars or motorcycles, you're probably at the mercy of the mood of the officer.

i can tell you their is no free parking anywere on medical center property period.

We have motorcycle parking here at 1600 smith. Not sure just how they check if you work in the building but it is motorcycle parking. Bad part is that is right off the street and some of Houstons finer citizens tend to walk by at odd hours. So far I haven't had any hassles with it. Building security has cameras on the area and the occasional drive by. Sounds like that would be a bit of a walk to work.

We have motorcycle parking here at 1600 smith. Not sure just how they check if you work in the building but it is motorcycle parking. Bad part is that is right off the street and some of Houstons finer citizens tend to walk by at odd hours. So far I haven't had any hassles with it. Building security has cameras on the area and the occasional drive by. Sounds like that would be a bit of a walk to work.

Ah man, too bad! That is a wee bit of a walk. :ponder:

jhansen - if you park where I park we work at the same place.

Dave.

If you park anywhere other than a regular parking spot for cars or motorcycles, you're probably at the mercy of the mood of the officer.

Yep, and this included the white striped off areas at the ends of parking lots and parking spaces on the streets. Normal car spots are the only legal spots.

I have parked in the Chevron garage and the Continental garage (1600 Smith) for free. I usually walk the parking garages and see if they have parking. Some will have spots. Some will have people that just ride around the gates.

Bank of America building and convention center parking are not free...

I thought private companies could set up their parking lots anyway they pleased? Where I work, the agreement between the motorcyclists and the security people are that white striped areas are bueno and yellow striped areas are off limits. They also set up several motorcycle only parking areas. That is only the agreement though, not the law. Every now and again, a new security guard will ticket someone, and we'll have to dig up the emails again...

of course I'm out in the suburbs, so that doesn't specifically help you.

Thought of working out a deal with one of the pay lots for a reduced fare in some quiet corner?

Thought of working out a deal with one of the pay lots for a reduced fare in some quiet corner?

Good luck on that.

You are riding a registered motor vehicle and legally you can only park in spots other cars or trucks can park in.

I have parked in the Chevron garage and the Continental garage (1600 Smith) for free. I usually walk the parking garages and see if they have parking. Some will have spots. Some will have people that just ride around the gates.

Bank of America building and convention center parking are not free...

I've on occasion found a quiet tucked away corner in the Shell One building, with permission of the lot attendants. Something to consider, if you can real friendly-like approach an attendant.

Just noticed this morning they painted Numbers on the moto parking spaces. Was there notice given to the people that work in the building about getting numbered spaces? WHats the deal with this? They cracking down on the freeloaders (myself included)?

Just curious if I need to find another place to start parking. LOTS of bikes have been there as of late due to gas prices. Been getting pretty crowded.

Any word?

Most of my clients are located in downtown Houston. We do service and maintenance work for a lot of property management companies. I've had most of my accounts for many years (most of them 15-20 years). As a result I know the property managers, all of the building engineers and most of the security guards. Riding the bike for the last couple of weeks has worked out really for me. I can usually ask and get permission to park my bike somewhere in the shade, under the watchfull eye of a security guard (loading docks, parking garages, etc. At some of the buildings, I DO park on the sidewalk...but it's usually in a little out of the way nook well away from pedestrian areas (and the eyes of leos). I've only had 1 building ask me to move my bike (and it was off of Park Ten blvd WAY out in a suburban area...

Most of my clients are located in downtown Houston. We do service and maintenance work for a lot of property management companies. I've had most of my accounts for many years (most of them 15-20 years). As a result I know the property managers, all of the building engineers and most of the security guards. Riding the bike for the last couple of weeks has worked out really for me. I can usually ask and get permission to park my bike somewhere in the shade, under the watchfull eye of a security guard (loading docks, parking garages, etc. At some of the buildings, I DO park on the sidewalk...but it's usually in a little out of the way nook well away from pedestrian areas (and the eyes of leos). I've only had 1 building ask me to move my bike (and it was off of Park Ten blvd WAY out in a suburban area...

I like the way you operate. Getting permission always works better than getting run off or getting nasty notes left. Ive never had a problem myself, but the new numbering system on the spaces at 1600 Smith has me now searching for another option if they start eyeing the garage more closely.

I used to park on Travis/McKinney. My company even owns the parking building, but they even charge $50 for bikes to park which is a fair price, but somewhat ridiculous because the moto area is otherwise completely unusable by cars and would be wasted if motos didnt park there. So much for the free lunch at my own company.

I will ask around... I bet I can find a hookup.

Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

QUOTE]

Go to the city attorney's office. they can show you on paper the state and city statutes regarding this. if you like what they say, have certified copies made to show the officer if you ever have the option.

I have read here about a concern about a ticket.

I really hate the idea of a ticket for a parking violation. I'd rather have that money to spend on gear or gasoline on a weekend trip. Being cheap assists me in complying with parking regulations only a teeny little bit.

Have you ever seen an inexperienced or incorrectly equiped tow driver tow a motorcycle? I have seen slightly damaged bikes have more severe damage from being improperly towed then from the minor accident. AND undamaged bikes end up with a few to sereral hundred dollars of damage from improper towing.

Do you really think some "I'm only do'in my job" impound tow driver is going to carefully tow your "baby" and really go out of their way to not over-compress the front suspension, carefully locate and pad the straps, or really know the right and wrong spots to hook tie-down straps?

I will be waiting for the "My bike was damaged after being towed for improper parking" thread! A ticket would be the least of your problems.

We all should think before we try to "cheat" a little while parking. This makes me think of the people who want to run into a store for a "quick minute" and park in the handi-cap spot, or in front of the door in the cross walk because they doubt the chance of actually getting a ticket is more than very slight. Just do the right thing like we all should and forget about trying to be creative to get over!

Just a thought...

Back