• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Touring?

FDM

Reaction score
I’m really getting the Bandit bug, but have a couple questions before I purchase one, I am mainly concerned with comfort, sitting position and 2up riding, I’m not trying to tour all over but need to be comfortable for 200 mile trips or so with my wife, I also seen the Givi luggage with the back rest attached to it, how well does that work for the passenger? Any other info will be most helpful, Thanks

Boy, you'll get a lot of reponses on this question. I've had my 2007 1250S for about two months now, and the only thing I have to complain about is the seat comfort. The stocker sucks, in my very humble opinion. I think it would be bad for the passenger as well. A few folks have the Givi hard bags installed (BIG $$$$$$$). I think I might go with a Corbin gunfighter and lady (big backrest), get a rack for my Kuryakin grand touring bag, and find some nice soft saddles for the sides.

As for power and noise - I don't think you can beat the Bandit for a touring machine. MUCHO torque and very quiet. Oh, I bought a Givi windscreen that is about 4" taller than stock and it puts the wind at the chin of my helmet now instead of in my chest - very nice.

Go buy it! I don't think you can get more for the low amount of money these things cost.

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=11778

interesting article about a similar market bike.
note the perf sheet reads,

103 peak hp @ 6800 rpm (per SAE J607)
84 ft. lbs. peak torque @ 6800 rpm (per SAE J607)

with the bandit reaching similar torq at 3k less rpm , although the bandit weighs more, costs way less.
but at $13k, the Buell gets lost in the price wars.

bandit still looks the part, and plays the part.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15january08_bandit1250.htm

anybody know what gps means? ...........(kidding, just kidding)

I'll let you know how it does once weather warms up A LOT! I have no 2 up exp. and don't plan on it anytime soon. 8,000 miles salted this season just on trips, not commuting and really hope this bandit shines and is not the tire, chain, sprocket eater I have read about. That will add up in a hurry or I will just take the ol' VFR instead. I got the Bandit for more reliable and a warranty.

GIVI trunk, large enough tank bag and a Wolfman Beta bag, should be plenty for me and not need side cases. GIVI cases are not BIG $$$, the racks can add up, but are well worth it and I will never go without a trunk at least.

Have you also posted the question on sport-touring.net? Not sure if the Bandit would provide enough passenger comfort for long rides.

We bought a use Triumph Trophy because of good performance, reasonable wind protection, bags and can be had for reasonable prices used.

bones.... I price the Givi hard box, cases, and necessary hardware at about $1,200 total, would that be about right?

Maybe I'm looking for them in the wrong places though.

Thanks for the link suzukijo to bad there not bringing the touring model to the states...I like it :trust:

Bones, is there a problem that you know of with the chain and sprocket or is everyone just twisting on the throttle.

Boxercup Dave, I have not checked with sport-touring.net but I will and I will also look at some pic's of the Triumph Trophy.

Thanks

bones.... I price the Givi hard box, cases, and necessary hardware at about $1,200 total, would that be about right?

Maybe I'm looking for them in the wrong places though.
I have top rack, side racks and cases on excel at work I can get in the morning. I will post that tomorrow.

http://rlmotorcycles.com/home/accessories.htm has good prices and I have ordered there before. Personal opinion GIVI racks are UGLY, real ugly once the cases are removed and most are a bit time consuming to remove if not in use. The one I got for my trunk for the VFR is god awful. Sticks up way too high. Granted that could be since it's made for a 14 year old bike and style was not first priority.

207240950-L.jpg

I got my rear for the Bandit from Twisted Throttle and it's an SW-Motech and much better looking (once I powder coat it black) and the rear mount is similar in price to GIVI's @ $160. Side racks are a good bit more. I can get those numbers in the morning and I was not interested so I passed, but can always add them if the need is there.

My 46L GIVI Monokey was another $150, BUT I can use it on any bike provided there's a mount. I have $300 into my VFR setup total. Follow me?

From scratch I want to say for all racks and cases (side cases being GIVI E21's???) it was in the $800 range shipped. I may be off some. Not cheap by any means, but if you USE them it's well worth it, and yes $1200 seems spendy to me also. I do not see the need for me personally and will stick with 15L tank bag, 46L rear trunk and wolfman beta and see how that goes this season. I might change my mind after Alabama and back in 4 days (1500 miles).

I am by no means hardcore or claim to know it all. I have only been into bikes REAL seriously the last 4-5 years even though I have been riding since I was 10 and owned an SV650 in 2000. I am just getting into touring and long range riding. I have hopes of doing an Iron Butt this season also on my 9-12 days off this summer. Should be VERY interesting. :lol2:

There are pics of my rear setup in my sig if interested.

Hope this helps some. Sorry for rambling.

Chris

Thanks for the link suzukijo to bad there not bringing the touring model to the states...I like it :trust:

Bones, is there a problem that you know of with the chain and sprocket or is everyone just twisting on the throttle.

Boxercup Dave, I have not checked with sport-touring.net but I will and I will also look at some pic's of the Triumph Trophy.

Thanks

No problem that I know of (just read that), just a real torquey bike and if you gas it, like most will it will eat them. I lost a chain on my KLR for god sakes. That was lack of maint. and an "I don't give a s*#t attitude also. It did suck BOTH times however. hahaha I have put 5500 on the VFR in 4 months and they look fine to me. No idea what they had for miles on them before and I am not super tedious on chain lube.

I did however get a loobman for the Bandit I have yet to install since I am not riding right now.

I am not a real hard rider, so I hope I am not the norm there. Same goes for tire wear. I prefer 5-7K out of a rear if at all possible. Especially when it's a $150 rear compared to a BLING $80 D606 on the KLR that would last 2500-3000 if I was REAL lucky.

SW Motech Mounts
$229.00 Side mounts
$149.00 Top Case Mount
$164.00 E21 Side Cases
$542.00 TOTAL

Add in $150 for a top case and you are at $700 clams. ;-)

FDM,

Most, (80-90%) of my riding is 2 up. So I'll try to answer your question as best I can based on my experience.

I'm sure there will be a few that disagree with me so keep in mind this is just my opinion, valued at around 2cents or less depending on the exchange rate.

Seating position is good for me (5’8” tall with a 31” inseam) the bars have a bit too much rearward bend but since the Bandit doesn’t have clip-ons it’s a cheap fix to change a bar.

The Givi trunk and bags are (IMO) worth the money. The trunk makes a good backrest even without a pad since most jackets now have a built in back pad of their own. Adding a pad to the trunk would likely force the passenger to lean a bit too far forward.

Seat comfort is not the greatest but that is easy to fix with so many places around that can modify seats with gel or custom foam work for a very reasonable price.

Our only complaint is the rear passenger pegs. They are too high and too far back for long rides. Personally I plan to have a set of hanger brackets made up to move the pegs down and forward. Welding and powder coating will probably cost around $200-300. Add in a little extra foam to the passenger seat when it is sent for a gel insert for more height and the problem is solved.

New Bandit 7200
New Bars 50
Luggage 800
Seat mod 120
Peg mounts 250

Great Sport touring package for about $8420

Or you could go buy a new Concourse 1400 or FJR1300 and then go buy a trunk for it and passenger peg extensions, maybe some seat work also and bar risers …..

Brass, LMK when you are ready to powder coat those. I have the equipment to do small parts in a spare oven. I plan to test it all real soon and can get pics of finished products. So far only black and I think black chrome is what I have.

and really hope this bandit shines and is not the tire, chain, sprocket eater I have read about. ..snip by suzukijo...

this is just a reflection on tire wear.

theres been a lot said about tire and chain wear on the GSF. its physics.

the bike is heavy, 550lbs and has lots of torq. so getting it mass going is hard on what makes it go and stop. tires and chain/brakes.
it has the torq to hurry things along, and what makes it feel fast, the acceleration when you want it, simply wears out what makes it go.
the rub, is at the chain and sprockets.

smaller lighter bikes, or roadrace style bikes with less weight, dont put the strain on tires or chains, unless they are driven at extremes, but the ease that the GSF takes full throttle, combined with its weight, puts it in a catagory of similar weight and performance bikes, which have the same tire problems.

how the bike is used, makes it worse for wear. grampa on a gold wing, easily nudging the clutch out and riding at a snails pace, is quite the opposite how most ride the GSF.
it makes no sense to me, to ride the bike gently, "saving" tires or sprockets.

tire/chain mileage, often reflects how the bike is ridden.
with the extra portion of torq, and low rpm torq, its easy to use it all.

there is not anything wrong with the GSF, making the tires/chain wear out prematurely, its a direct result of it being heavy, and having abundant torq to apply early and often. it is that which makes it better than other bikes, and so much fun to ride!

Don't think I don't understand different bikes, different scenarios. I am an optimist and am honest in the fact that I do not and can not ride most bikes to their full on capacity. Just not me and I am fine with that. If I can eek out more miles on wear items and still get the smiles I enjoy, I win in my mind. When I say I plan to do a lot of miles this year, for me it really is the truth. So far I am going to be in 15 states, unless I head to Canada for my 9 day vacation.

Just after a happy medium is all.

Our only complaint is the rear passenger pegs. They are too high and too far back for long rides. Personally I plan to have a set of hanger brackets made up to move the pegs down and forward. Welding and powered coating will probably cost around $200-300.

…..

Keep us updated on this mod if you would, Brass. I do a lot of 2-up riding and the stock rear pegs would be a deal killer for the SO. :doh:

Thanks. :rider:

Thanks everyone for the info, Brass thanks for your 2up riding report it is most helpfull, I think we are going to give the Bandit a shot, so far every thing I have read is pretty positive of it being a all around great bike, I'll let everyone know when I join the Bandit club :mrgreen: :rider:

FDM,

With my SO riding shotgun, she's comfortable enough that she has fallen asleep on a few rides. Her biggest complaint is the pegs and that will be fixed before the bike hits the road again in the spring. You already know, from the rest of this site, how great the bike is from the front seat.

I'm certain you'll be happy with the bike. With a few very minor changes to help the bike suit you better you'll end up with a very capable ride.

Back