• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Throttle lock options?

rrrr

Reaction score
Went for a ride the other day, very cold, even with the DL650 handguards my hands got cold. Would be nice to have a throttle lock so I can rest/warm up the hand. Any options? With the handguards the throttlemeister isn't an option. Anybody using anything?

I don't have a cure for the throttle lock issue but for cold hands try a set of heated grips. Once you have, you'll wonder how you ever rode in cold weather without them.
I installed a cheap set under the stock grips. On low they keep your hands nicely toasted, set on high you have to let go of the bar from time to time to cool off. Best $30 I spent on the bike so far.

i cant imagine needing a cruise control on my bike. i guess i just ride long distances or haunt freeways that long and straight. imo

I saw a homemade throttle lock once that was pretty ingenious. Your question prompted me to go make one. All I did was cut a section out of a hanger and twisted it around the throttle grip. When in place against the brake lever, it provides enough friction to hold the throttle open. I haven't ridden with it yet, but I'll let you know if it works.

249283537-M.jpg

In use:

249283890-M.jpg

Stowed:

249284289-M.jpg

It might need a little tweaking, but I think it will work.

... try a set of heated grips. Once you have, you'll wonder how you ever rode in cold weather without them... Best $30 I spent on the bike so far.

+10

You will experience more riding enjoyment from a set of heated grips than hundreds of dollars you might spend on pipes, electronics, or performance mods.

The inline 4 of a Bandit does not have the centrifugal momentum necessary to behave well with a throttle lock. The throttle requires constant adjustment to maintain a steady cruising speed. You can use one, it's just not pleasurable.

These are a much better solution: http://www.throttlerocker.com

handgrip.jpg

Best motorcycle money I ever spent was on those two items.

From my old KLR files. I used one of those cheap bungies, not the tough rubber ones and wrapped it from left mirror to the right and round the throttle and back to the mirror. Worked like a charm for the most part. Also a rubber band is a real simple solution. All temporary of course, none hold speed all that great, but enough to warm or relieve some fatigue.

I have a vista cruise. The problem I have with it is the normal vibration coming through the handlebar will cause the throttle to close. This is likely an inherent feature to any throttle lock that uses friction. Unless you adjust so much friction that it crushes the resilient parts, then it's not really friction anymore.

Nevertheless, it's good for getting a break from holding the throttle on long, straight stretches of highway. And we seem to have no lack of those down here.

... for cold hands try a set of heated grips. Once you have, you'll wonder how you ever rode in cold weather without them.
I installed a cheap set under the stock grips. On low they keep your hands nicely toasted, set on high you have to let go of the bar from time to time to cool off. Best $30 I spent on the bike so far.

Where did you buy them? Did you get them online?

I'm thinking more of the vista cruise options. Anyone using one of those?

Just on a Pacific Coast...nice there, gives a good rest. I never had one until I got the PC. Now I want one for the Bandit. I'm considering actual cruise control, though.

I think I have the Vista?? I can check when I get home. If anyone wants it I will never install it. $25

You would be able to position the wires in a way that would clear the throttle lock. I would suggest using a piece heat shrink tubing to help mould the wires into a semi-firm position.

Tried the vista on the Bandit and it didn't work well. Required me to remove some plastic from the throttle tube and even with constant fitting never worked well. With handguards throttlemeister type locks won't work so any other suggestions. I really want a factory type look.

Well I put the lock from kaokousa on order. I ordered the one for the 650 with handguards, we'll see if it works!

I installed the Manic! Salamander last Fall and am very pleased with it. Great quality. Fantastic fit and finish. Great after-sale service from Paul. And I used to have a Throttlemeister on my ST13 and I find the Salamander to be much easier and more intuitive to engage.

Yellow O-Ring from Caterpillar dealer.
Price: $2.79
Solution to Problem: Priceless

Back