• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rear Support Stand

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I borrowed my friends front and rear Pit Bull support stands last week when I installed my new front tire and pulled my fork tubes off to strip the black paint off of them.

They worked great, but after I used them I realized I did not need to spend the money on a rear lift, as since I still have my center stand, all I needed was something simple to stabalize and support the rear of the bike when I lift the front off the ground.

So I came up with two self standing supports that have pins in them that fit in each end of the hollow rear axle, and are slid into postion once after the bike is sitting on the center stand.

There is a hole thru each of the support pins so once they are in position I can slide a 3/8" diameter threaded rod thru and secure both stands together with nuts on each side.

The base plates will be two pieces of 3/8" x 4" x 12" steel plate, and the uprights are two pieces of 1" x 2" x 1/8" wall steel tubing, and the support pins are also steel, and I will weld the uprights to the base plates.

I am picking up the material tomorrow at a local steel house, and I'm figuring that the whole thing is going to cost me less than $15, plus about an hours labor. Then all have to do is buy a Pit Bull lift for the front of the bike, which I plan on buying with my $600 stimulus check from the government. :rider:

4838744dd4bc27f167c9855bcbb8056a0_large.jpg

I borrowed my friends front and rear Pit Bull support stands last week when I installed my new front tire and pulled my fork tubes off to strip the black paint off of them.

They worked great, but after I used them I realized I did not need to spend the money on a rear lift, as since I still have my center stand, all I needed was something simple to stabalize and support the rear of the bike when I lift the front off the ground.

So I came up with two self standing supports that have pins in them that fit in each end of the hollow rear axle, and are slid into postion once after the bike is sitting on the center stand.

There is a hole thru each of the support pins so once they are in position I can slide a 3/8" diameter threaded rod thru and secure both stands together with nuts on each side.

The base plates will be two pieces of 3/8" x 4" x 12" steel plate, and the uprights are two pieces of 1" x 2" x 1/8" wall steel tubing, and the support pins are also steel, and I will weld the uprights to the base plates.

I am picking up the material tomorrow at a local steel house, and I'm figuring that the whole thing is going to cost me less than $15, plus about an hours labor. Then all have to do is buy a Pit Bull lift for the front of the bike, which I plan on buying with my $600 stimulus check from the government. :rider:

4838744dd4bc27f167c9855bcbb8056a0_large.jpg

That is a good idea/very easy/ Thanks

Hows your project comin?

rworm

For those without a welder, I imagine you could use a couple jackstands with the 3/8" rod through it.

For your design I would tie both "stand"s together as well.

For those without a welder, I imagine you could use a couple jackstands with the 3/8" rod through it.

For your design I would tie both "stand"s together as well.

bones,

Thanks for the great idea, as I had not even thought about using something as simple as set of jack stands, so after I read your reply I went out to the garage and took one of my 3 ton jack stands and placed it next to my bike, and they can be adjusted to the correct height to work.

So now what I am going make some slightly different axle support plugs with shoulders on them that will allow me to tighten them up against each end of the axle for good support strength using a threaded rod passed thru each plug.

The diameter that will sit on the top of the jack stand is the same, so that the bike will sit level on the stands. It looks like the jack stands will be very stable, and I already have a piece of 1 1/4" steel I bought for another project that I never ended up doing.

The diameters for the support plugs for each end of the axle are .620/.622 X 1 1/2" L for the left side of the axle, and .985/.987 x 1 1/2" L diameter for the right side of the axle. I'm making each support shafts out of 1 1/4" diameter 1018 CRS, and that diameter on each shaft will be 2" in length.

I will be using a 5/16" threaded rod to use to tie them together to the rear axle. :rider:

87ce1fd21c8b9f4b10983b717c4661bb0_large.jpg

Far more fancy than I would get. I'd use threaded rod and call it good. Maybe a nut ground down to "round" to go inside the axle ID. Then again I don't have a lot of metal working tools anymore.

Slap up a pic if you go this route, I might borrow a few ideas if I feel the need. I have a nice ATV I loved to use on my KLR, but is near useless on street bikes with the exhaust under the motor and no skid plate. I am hoping to make some use out of it. I will keep ya posted.

Why not just install a set of slider/spools on the rear and leave them on? They work well with jack stands as well.

Yep, I never bought a rear stand for my SV b/c I couldn't convice myself it'd be that much better than the jack stands I'd been using on the spools...

trey

Pit Bull best stand made!! :trust:

Rear one works fine on my Bandit but the front one throws it up to high if the bike is on the centerstand. No big deal I have a lower LP front stand I use for that when I remove the front wheel for tire replacement. I am stand poor I have 5 of them.:mrgreen:

My GSXR resting on the Pit Bulls
bikes002.jpg

Why not just install a set of slider/spools on the rear and leave them on? They work well with jack stands as well.

I really don't like the looks of leaving the spools on the swing arm.

Anyway I came up with even a simpler slide in support shaft for the hollow rear axle that will work great with the jack stands.

Its a 5/8" diameter steel rod which just fits thru the left side of the axle with a couple of thousands clearance, and a steel colar that that will slide over the left side of the 5/8" diameter shaft that will fit in the larger end on the left side of the axle, and it will only take me about 10 minutes to make.

f0d022a2aeb8ed8424a1c5840232e3f00_large.jpg

Back