• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bridgestone BT020 Rear

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Fry
Anyone had any experience with these tires? f so, how's the wear to performance ratio?

Got 4500 miles out of a rear on a ZRX. I recommend Avon 45/46's as the best compromise I have found.

I got about 7 k out of the rear, about 9 out of the front (but both were way past due). Performance was adequate, but not great in dry conditions. In wet (even just slightly moist)- I caged it. If wear is primary concern, they are ok. I am running Michelin Pilot Roads (180/55/17) now, and they are far superior in both wet & dry. Wear seems slightly quicker, but they are not "squaring off" as bad as the Bridgestone.

My problem is that I have $0.00 to spend on a tire right now, so every dollar matters. I can get the BT020 for $100, $120 for the Pilot, and 130 for the AV46. I never thought there would come a time when $30 was a significant amount....

What size? I have a Pilot Sport in my attic that still has a few miles left in it. Standard sportbike size 17" 180 profile.

txmedic said:
What size? I have a Pilot Sport in my attic that still has a few miles left in it. Standard sportbike size 17" 180 profile.
Nice... 180/55-17. $?

Bridgestone 020's come stock OEM on FZ-1's, Mine was replaced at about 3500 miles, it still had a bit of tread left but not a whole lot.

Front 020 is more than 1/2 gone at 4500 miles, and wearing quite unevenly (cupping). I'll replace it soon.

Some folks like em and get good miles, I didn't. I was also told that the OEM 020's have less tread than the over the counter versions, but I can't verify that. They did hold the road just fine though.

I'll be trying some pilot roads next.

gotdurt said:
txmedic said:
Nice... 180/55-17. $?

Front and rear = free to good home.

Dyna Sport said:
I was also told that the OEM 020's have less tread than the over the counter versions, but I can't verify that.

Dunlop's site on the D220's verifys that. 5/32" vs. 7/32" tread depth. I want my 1/16" back. :evil:

I used to run and 010F/020R set up on my SVS and loved it. Got at least 7k out of each. Tried it on the VFR and didnt like it that much at all. The 020 rear just didnt have the feel that I hoped for, especially compared to the Dunlop D220.

The 020's are what is on my Sprint, it looked like an almost new rear when I bought it in May of last year. After 4,000 miles the rear is almost down to the wear bars in the middle and the front is badly cupped. After what little experience I have had with them, I wouldn't spend the price of mounting on them. I think they may do fine on lighter bikes (like the SV650) but on the larger bikes I think they may be out of their element. I also think the chip seal roads around here just eats tires up, I wish they would go back to properly repaving roads insted of that crap.

I plan on getting new tires soon, right now my thinking is in this order based off of talking to others and everything that I have read:
1.) Avon Azaro AV45/46
2.) Metzler Z6
3.) Michelin Pilot Roads.

I priced some last Saturday on the way back from Marble Falls at Austin Sport Cycle, they have Pilot Roads in stock (that was the counter guy's recommendation, his comment was that the 020's were junk) and could get the Avons or Metzlers. The price was (ballpark figure) around $350 out the door with the wheels on the bike and about $300 carry-in.

I know places like SW Moto Tires have them in the $100-F and $130-R price range, but how much do you pay for mounting of mail-order tires, and who will do it? Even the prices at Cycle Gear are just a little more than the mail-order on these tires, and they do mounting if you bring the wheels in. Has anyone used them?

bluedogok said:
I know places like SW Moto Tires have them in the $100-F and $130-R price range, but how much do you pay for mounting of mail-order tires, and who will do it? Even the prices at Cycle Gear are just a little more than the mail-order on these tires, and they do mounting if you bring the wheels in. Has anyone used them?

I use SW Moto all the time and love them.

You mount them at my house for free. :chug:

I haven't heard of anyone who was dissatisfied with Cycle Gear.

txmedic said:
I use SW Moto all the time and love them.

Kurt,

You keep saying that and you are going to have a line at your garage door, with me at the lead.

Come to think of it, I could use a new rear tire too. Hummmmm

Maybe we should a tire changing meet at Kurt's house :mrgreen:

I will probably take you up on that, what other items would be required :chug:

txmedic said:
Jeez man, you are officially my friend :chug: What do you do for balancing?
I've always mounted my own dirt tires, but never bothered to balance them (I lost large chunks of rubber too often to make it worth while).

The one in Mesa, AZ used to do it for 10 bucks, free if you bought the tire there. I don't know about here and now.

bluedogok said:
Maybe we should a tire changing meet at Kurt's house

Let's just make it an 'Austinish' maintenance day, at Kurt's... :mrgreen:

Seriously though, not a bad idea. If we need to we can do it at my house, I have a big driveway, complete with oil stains. Of course, I'll have to check with the she-boss first :roll:

Did I just hijack my own thread???? :scratch

I don't mind my house, but I have a garage and then a steep driveway. The cul-de-sac would work though.

tireqwik.com

The bead breaker works great. The balancing stand also is very nice and easy to use. I got my tire irons at Tractor Supply Co., and they are also great. Lastly, get thee a can of Yamaha Tire Lube. That stuff is magic... you'll never want to use soap and water again ;-)

Adios,

txmedic said:
I don't mind my house, but I have a garage and then a steep driveway. The cul-de-sac would work though.

I didn't ride up or down that monster on the Strom - it's VERY steep (but worked out well for loading the bike into the back of the truck).

Maybe I can come out and hold tools... I love to watch men get sweaty around bikes! :angel:

The sweaty part is OK. The temper-tantrums and tool thrownig we'd rather keep hidden. Bring your filter, we can change your oil.

Tool throwing is no good. That's how things get broken and dented. I will take the tools away from you mad men and put them away gently.

So when is this all happening?
Set a date and time and I'll see if I can make it out. The oil filter is still under the seat...

Oh, and I need to fit a new washer onto the right hang guard and I need to see about maybe getting a new brake lever.

Squeaky said:
Oh, and I need to fit a new washer onto the right hang guard and I need to see about maybe getting a new brake lever.

Why?

Gotdirt, here is a picture of the tires.
tire.jpg

BT 020's are getting a bit dated. There's a lot better ST compound tires out there now. But, the price on them is hard to beat. I used to get between 3K and 4K on a rear on the Busa.

Back