• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

It's Here!!

FDM

Reaction score
With weather permitting I will be picking up my new Bandit in the morning and have a nice 50-mile ride from New Braunfels to Floresville, after waiting almost 6 weeks for the bike to come in I am now one happy camper.

Thanks to everyone posting endless info in the Bandit section made my decision easy to what my choice of a new bike would be, I’m sure I will be very happy and impressed with the Bandit as everyone else here is. Happy Riding!!

Enjoy the ride on the new bike, and remember to give it some gas and spin the engine up to make sure that you seat the rings in properly.

Heres some good tips on making sure that you get the rings seated in in the critical first few miles on the new engine.

I pretty much followed his procedures, and when I pulled my plugs and looked at them at 5,000 miles, they were spotless, without a sign of oil on them anywhere.

A common phrase used by a lot of my friends in regards to breaking in a new engine, is to ride it like you stole it.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Despite the wind today 25-30 mph I hopped on the Bandit and off we went, I must say every thing I have heard is true, the bike is really confy, handles good, runs very smooth and the sitting position fits me perfect, I am looking forward to stacking up some miles soon as I have the time……Thanks El Bandito for the heads up on the break in, I pushed the throttle pretty hard every chance I had but kept the rpm’s around 4 to 4500 max, the bike seems to take off fairly fast so I was sitting at ticket speeds in no time, anyway it was a 53 mile ride and I will continue my break in hopefully this weekend.

Here are a couple of pic’s I took soon as I got home.

Bandit2.jpg

Bandit1.jpg

Great looking bike David. Now that you've stopped long enough to post the pics (we believe nothing without them) get back out there and finish breaking in the motor.

Thanks Brass and Thank you for taking the time to talk to me about the Bandit it was most helpfull, hopefully I can get my wife to saddle up with me some time this weekend and take a nice ride.

Nice looking bike and really big kickstand pad:eek2:

You like that huh? The sand is deep and since everything in Texas is big I figured a huge kickstand pad would feel right at home :lol2: :rofl:

Brass I took your advice :trust: and went on the ride to Cotulla for the hog fest with some of my Harley buddies, it was a little cool to start with but turned out to be a nice day, thumbs up for the Bandit everyone in the group really liked it and the Bandit did a great job of keeping me very happy on my 220 mile ride, I averaged about 43 mpg so I can sure enough live with that out of a 1250, any way every thing went well for the Bandit and I will spend some time tomorrow checking every thing and adjusting my chain.

I like the blue color. I've used the motoman's break-in procedure on my last two bikes with great success. The problem with the Bandit is that, even with my initial 200 mile ride home on the interstate, it was hard to "push" the bike (to seat the rings) because no matter what gear you're in, you hit illegal speeds quickly.
Also….!!! Change that oil at 100-200 miles to get all the initial metal shavings and what-not out of the engine. I’ll change mine again at 600 then switch to synthetic at 1200. (I'm not a dealer but I like Amsoil 10/40).

Be safe and enjoy the bike.

Regards, Ol Dave

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new ride. Have you had the wife out on it yet?

Not yet she couldn't go yesterday, I hope to take her out today for a short ride.

Dwoodul, I know your right with the Bandit's high speed Cruising ability it makes it a little tuff to push the bike for the break in, we rode at a pretty fast pace on the interstate yesterday comming in, I was able to run the R's between 3800 and 4500 for about 75 miles, on our way up there we were on back roads that allowed me to be on and off the throttle, hopefully everything has seated properly, I agree with pushing a engine hard to break it in but to be realistic with the RPM’s the rest of the engine needs to set a wear pattern as well, to high of RPM’s with out enough load could possibly alter this, I think with today’s technology on building engines all break-in procedures work fine long as you are on and off the throttle and vary your speed. Thanks for all the post, I really do love my Bandit!!

You're right FDM. I think the point is to try to put a "load" on the engine without abusing it. Not necessarily doing this at high RPM but just get the load on the engine to seat the rings in the first break-in miles. After my break-in I've found I seldom need to go above 4-4500 RPM for day-to-day riding. This is just my riding style as others like to push the RPMs more - which is fine and what this bike is built for. I've got about 700 miles on mine now and will go for the 600 mile check soon just to keep the warranty vallid. So far I've added a Two-Brothers slip-on and a Givi shield.

BTW - looks like we may hit 65 degrees here in Dallas today so I'm thinking I might get some riding in.

Ol Dave

Enjoy the new bike dude ! I really like the blue bandits.

As I found out the hard way it's REAL easy to get a speeding ticket on these bikes , so smooth you don't realise you edged up from 70 to 90 !!

I highway it a lot and might attempt the audiovox cruise control . Not all that expensive but yikes what a bear to install

Congrats on the new Bandit and welcome to the site.

We need a South Texas Bandit meet in the hills M&G. Like maybe meet in Bandera at OST and then hit the twisted sisters.

I live down in Freer and while be back in Texas late next month. I will be taken some time off from work to be with the family and do some local riding.

Congrats on the new Bandit and welcome to the site.

We need a South Texas Bandit meet in the hills M&G. Like maybe meet in Bandera at OST and then hit the twisted sisters.

I live down in Freer and while be back in Texas late next month. I will be taken some time off from work to be with the family and do some local riding.

Just say when, that would be nice to meet some of the other members here, we should start a tread on a planed meet...What ya think?

Great ideas on break in...Alot of folks don't understand that it's the gas pressure that seats the rings and not the RPM...So it's very easy to follow the manual by staying under 4,500 yet at the same time put a load on the engine by applying heavy throttle and get a good ring seal...So you can load it well but you're not abusing it...Always let it warm up a couple a minutes, never rev it until it's warm and ready to ride, and as you're riding just roll on the throttle and let off before the rpm's climb over 4,500...

I've done alot of research on it and it seems like there are a few that think that hard break in means high rpm...However, this is not the case...It's really just a matter of getting enough gas pressure behind the ring to force it out toward the cylinder for it will seal well...You don't have to violate the owners manual to do it which is nice.

Your should ride it out to the Pie Run in Ingleside next weekend :trust:

The blue is awesome looking. I was really drooling over it at the last bike show I attended.

Your should ride it out to the Pie Run in Ingleside next weekend :trust:

The blue is awesome looking. I was really drooling over it at the last bike show I attended.

Thanks, The blue was my pick of colors, of course I think all the Bandit colors look nice to, I will catch up with y’all on one of the pie runs soon as I have time, unfortunately I am in the process of remodeling a mobile home and will be working on it for a few more weekends, I will sure be glad when I’m done it is really cutting into my riding time.

Just say when, that would be nice to meet some of the other members here, we should start a tread on a planed meet...What ya think?

Sounds good to me. I will be back the end of next month. I will be take some time off from work to meet my family again and do some riding.

Will you be going to the pie run in West Texas the end of May?

Don’t know about west Texas, I guess it depends how far west you are talking about.

I would be up for a nice hill country ride when you are ready, let me know and we can put up a post in the up coming rides section and see who all wants to join us.

Back