• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How should i clean my bike?

Reaction score
Bugs! argh. Water splash, yuck.

with my bike covered in bugs, i often use glass cleaner, as a spot touchup some ice spray detailer. seriously cleaning i use S100 and a Mr Clean water de-ionizing rinse, with a carnuba wax finish.

tell me, what do you use to clean your bike, and how?
(before and after pictures not necessary, but fun to look at tho)

like how you guys get the bugs out of the radiator fins? you take off the rock guard all the time, or just leave'em?

A water puddle. :mrgreen: I use bug and tar remover for stuck on bugs, soap and water for the rest. In the past I have used the Meguiar's 3 part cleaner/polish/wax for unbelievable results.

I don't wash mine - a nice layer of dirt and grime helps me spot leaks, seeps, and other things starting to go wrong. ;-)

and how do you use that?

Like this :lol2:

FP07-153.jpg

that reminds me, local town nearby had a movie made in it once, called "CARWASH". downtown lancaster Ca. i need to go and see if the arched drive thru's are still there. elbandito, do you know? coner of beech and newgrove, maps live shows they are still up.

S100. good stuff. shop vac in reverse to blow out the water from the nooks and cranies, with some plastic polish to finish up. leather cleaner for the bags.

cleaning cuts into my riding time , a new tavern opened near where I work 'the hogwash cafe' .Ya drink suds while bikini clad chix detail your bike . Might have to try it sometime if it ever warms up enough to ride!!

Ha! Finally something I can contribute to! You guys give me an inferiority complex somethings with all the crap you know - very helpful though!!!! :rofl:

Pledge furniture polish - pure and simple - for ALL surfaces. I've almost never washed any bike I've owned with water (except for one time when I got caught in a torrential downpour and ended up getting really muddy). I've also never had any rust on a bike.

Pledge is a proven substitute for the heralded "Honda Paint and Chrome" cleaner. Used gently, it coats dirt and particles, and if you use a clean rag it WILL NOT scratch paint. It puts a protective wax coating on the stuff you're cleaning, making it harder for bugs to stick the next time. It also removes chain grease "sling" from the wheels. You can also spray a lot of it on your shield (any manufacturer) and use GENTLE up and down strokes (never polish plastic in a circle) until it's removed and buffed. It will not scratch the shield.

I swear by the stuff, and it's cheap.

For the street bike I use Honda Spray Polish and Cleaner. It's the best stuff around IMO.

For the dirt bike I use a water hose and a little brass high pressure nozzle to blast off the bulk of the mud, then follow that up with simple green.

Actually I will second the Pledge . Works great , lemony scent is a bonus !!!

You mean that a water puddle isn't how you clean your bike?!?!?! Darn it, I've been following the wrong advice all along!:eek2:

He doesn't use a water puddle like you use a water puddle!(note avitar:rofl: )

soft brush, car wash stuff that some how ends up in my garage from various sources, simple green for the gear oil seepage found on Voyagers and rims. chiomois for the drying part. I ride in the rain on occasion, furniture polish just won't due. It works great for dusting!:lol2:

I use a water hose with a high pressure nozzle and a squirt bottle each of Simple Green and degreaser. Hey, it's a Beemer -- they can handle the wet. After it's been hosed down, I break out the compressed air and blast most of the water off, then towel dry it. Takes me maybe 15 minutes.

Then I have to let it sit for an hour so the points will dry out.

Clean? Bah. If too much mud gets caked on, I just go for a nice abusive ride and knock it all off.

If i need to work on it, I just soak it with simple green and hose it off... good as new.

For bugs I find my fingernails work well :thumb:

I know some that spray their clean bikes with WD-40, then when cleaning time comes, they just hose it off and it looks like it just came off the showroom floor. might work for bugs too.

I do NOT suggest this method...
252692930_de3wh-M.jpg

Last edited:
soap and water, dry with my leaf blower. Never really washed a bike with detail until I got these street bikes, all a bunch of crap if you ask me. :lol2:

You mean people actually wash them? :eek2: The only time any of mine get cleaned is when it rains or I drop one in a river crossing

139257942_zCQzG-M.jpg

I still have dirt on my KLR from the first time I took it to Terlingua 4 years ago.

Your supposed to clean these things? OOOOPPPPSSSS!

Honestly I never do this and it still looks failry clean, as clean as a black bike can look.:eek2:

Only if you ride them, so you're safe. :lol2:

Not every one can blow off there jobs when ever they want, it called being responsible. It's an adult thing so you may not comprehend the concept. :rofl:

Last edited:
Back