• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shinko 009 Raven Sport Touring Tire

Reaction score
Well, it was that time again... already. The Bandit needed new shoes. This time around I decided to give the black sheep of the ST tire world a whirl, the Shinko 009 Raven.

First, a little background about me and my riding and what I've tried so far...

I ride a Suzuki Bandit 1250SA. It's a big, heavy, powerful, pig of a bike. We're looking at 500lbs DRY, plus all the junk I lug around everyday on my commute (~30lbs), and it puts down around 115hp, 92ft/lb torque with the intake/exhaust mods done to it. Nothing phenomenal, but enough to kill a tire prematurely.

henly.jpg

I'm not an overly aggressive rider. In fact, I'm very sedate in commuting mode. My daily trek to work is 28 miles round trip. 50/50 is sitting in stop and go traffic and lights, the rest going 80mph down 183 or Mopac...

That said, I like to get out on the weekends and kill 500mi in a day whenever the opportunity presents itself. That might be technical, fun roads like the Three Sisters, or it might be visiting people across the state bombing up and down state highways like 290 or 281 (I do avoid the interstates like the plague).

Enough about me, on to the tires...

My type of riding seems to be kryponite to the tire world, at least what I've tried thus far.

The only tire I tried on my recently traded SV was a Metzler Sportec Z6 (?). It came on the bike when I bought it, just mounted, fresh and clean. I put about 10,000mi on the SV, give or take, and for the last 3,000mi I had it, I was paranoid the tire was done and going to leave me stranded due to the lack of a tread pattern down the center of the tire. I could tell by looking at the profile that the tire was getting squared off, but had no way of knowing just how much rubber there was until the cords decided to surface. Good tire, but I'll never buy another without some sort of way to measure tread depth down the middle of the treads...

No problem, traded the SV with bald tires for a new Bandit 1250... :rider:

The Bandit came with some flavor of Dunlop OEM.. not sure exactly which model, don't care. It stuck just fine, but at 3,800mi, it looked like a some kind of new polygon your kids will learn about in geometry. Lots of tred on the sides, but my new found intoxication with liter-sized torque melted the middle... Think \_/...

Ok, no biggie, I remembered from the SV boards how enamored everyone was with the Continental RoadAttacks. Relatively cheap, plus they look neat to boot. Good wear (on a 400lb bike), and good stick. So, I bought a set, front a rear.

Great, great tire. If I rode more aggressively, I might just have gotten another pair. Not once did they ever give me a pucker moment no matter how stupid I got with the throttle... Beside commuting, I had many trips to DFW, two trips out to the Sisters, and plenty of Hill Country exploration on the RoadAttacks. 5,900 miles on the rear to be exact, front still looks ok with 7,000mi+.

With 4,000mi the RoadAttacks still looked fantastic. Slight squaring, but nothing terrible. The rear had a plug in it since it had 1,000mi, and they still held air better than any tire I'd ever had. Weeks would go by and they might drop a 1/2lb of pressure...

Which might have led to an early demise.. After a 400mi weekend to a Pie Run, riding around in Houston, and back to Austin, I checked my rear tire pressure the next day... 32lbs or so. :eek: Guess I got lazy about checking pressures... oops.

How long was it under-inflated? I don't know.. maybe all weekend, maybe I picked something up in the tire in the parking lot on the way home... Regardless, with a 1,000mi weekend of 2-up riding approaching quickly, it was clear the tire needed replacing...

Again, in typical fashion with my riding, the center of the Conti was absolutely trashed.

rear.jpg

side.jpg

The rear tire size for the Bandit is a 180/55/17, so I'm blessed with an absolutely ludicrous amount of sticky-icky race tires to choose from, yet excluded from spooning on a Metzler ME880 or some other cruiser type, iron-clad rubber.

So what have the tire manufacturers come up with to fit riders with similar demands?

Well, I scoured every board and discussion group I thought applicable. FJR, ST1300, BMW RT, Bandit 1200, SprintST, etc and came up with a list of likely candidates...

Bridgestone BT021 (Dual Compound Rear)

Michelin Road

Michelin Road2 (Dual Compound)

Avon Storm ST

Pirelli Strada

Conti RoadAttack

and...

Shinko 009 Raven

I'm sure there are more, it's been a couple weeks since my research, but I had narrowed it down to the Road2, 009 Raven, or Storm ST. I wasn't disappointed with the RoadAttack, I just wanted to try something different...

Researching as much as possible, the Avon seemed to be a dead ringer for the RoadAttack. Good stick, good wet weather grip, and most people claimed to get around 6-8,000mi out of a rear. No thanks...

The Road2 seemed promising. Longer lasting than the original Road, but soft sides for extra grip. Only downside, $180. Ouch. No real longevity reports either... it's still just too new.

Then there was the lowly Shinko. I'm not a stranger to "cheap" rubber. I've ran Kuhmo car tires on my old Miata and liked them just fine when they were still unknown. I put a Maxxis SuperMaxx on my GS500 when I couldn't afford anything better, and it did just fine...

So there I am. $180 for a Road2, or $80 for a Shinko... hmmm... I'm a recent college grad on a pretty tight budget (who isn't, I know), so frugality weighed heavily... What also weighed heavily was my upcoming trip to West TX with the lady on the back... I figured if anything would flatten a tire, West Texas certainly would.

I've put about 11,000mi on the Bandit since I got it in late June of last year, and it kills me to throw $150+ at the bike every other month on consumables because I'm a cheap ***...

Well, that trip to Sweetwater was last weekend, I put 890mi on my new Shinko, and I think I can give my initial impressions now.

Current pics (892 mi):

shinko1.jpg

shinko2.jpg

90% of that trip was 2-up, and I was always loaded down with our gear. I'm about 170lbs geared up, she's maybe 140lbs in her spaceman suit. We probably had 50-60lb of crap in the top case and saddlebags for the weekend.

I didn't take pics of the Shinko new, it looked like, well, a new tire. The profile of the tire is flatter compared to the RoadAttack. The RA was very round and crowned... they liked to "fall" into a corner so much that it scared me at first, but I got used to it.

The Shinko isn't that way. It's a gradual, rounded curve. It requires a little more effort to get set in a line, but nothing bad. The tread pattern is attractive, nothing eye catching, but it looks sporty and tough.

Tread depth, IIRC, was 7mm down the center new, with less on the sides, around 5mm.

After this weekend of tire-torture, I still have 6mm in the middle, and 5mm on the sides. I still haven't had a chance to really rail on the tire, as evidenced by the unused rubber near the edges, but so far they seem to stick just fine. I have no doubt they'll reach their edges drama-free.

So this begins my chronicle for the 009 Raven. I couldn't find a good, updated review with mileage reports, so I'm attempting to do so here. I'll try to post pics every 1,000mi or so... stay tuned. I'm hoping to get at least the same mileage as I got from the RA, at half the price, but we'll see...

trey

did you buy them online? If so, do you have a link? I am 2000 miles or so away from new rubber and once I am riding everyday that will take me 3 weeks of commuting--not counting all the fun runs. I'd be really interested to hear from you again on this after a couple thousand miles.

I have about 500 miles so far on my first Shinko 9 (Bandit 1200 `01), so I don't have much to report. It seems to grip fairly well with the riding I have done.

I got mine from www.ridenow.com but it sounds like treybrad has a cheaper source than this one.

Shinko has a silly profile, slow turn in, and gription sucks.

Want more grip use a Dunlop Sportmax.

Want more life and still keep decent grip and profile then use Tomahawk T3tires, or Conti Road Attacks. Just my observations from thousands of miles of aggressive street riding combined with commutes, and numerous brands of tire.

Nice report. Keep us posted. I'm in need of a new set (2 plugs in rear tire) now but i'm to cheap to throw away a tire with only 2,000 miles.

did you buy them online?

No, I have a buddy who works at CycleGear so I got it cheap... you can find them online for similar prices though.

ApexEater said:
Want more life and still keep decent grip and profile then use Tomahawk T3tires, or Conti Road Attacks. Just my observations from thousands of miles of aggressive street riding combined with commutes, and numerous brands of tire.

I hear the Tomahawk is awful. Really heavy, maybe not?

The RoadAttack was good, like I said, just looking for something different. The profile of the Shinko doesn't bother me at all. I'm not blasting through switchbacks everyday, and when I do get aggressive, it won't be a problem (no more than a flat spotted RoadAttack anyway). If I was doing track days, the profile might be a problem, but even then I'm not sure.

FJR Bandit said:
Nice report. Keep us posted. I'm in need of a new set (2 plugs in rear tire) now but i'm to cheap to throw away a tire with only 2,000 miles

My RA had a screw in it weeks after getting mounted... plugged it once and it held up just fine for the rest of it's life. No way I was replacing it w/ 1,000 miles...

trey

Shinko has a silly profile, slow turn in, and gription sucks.

Silly profile that makes it very easy to get rid of chicken strips..... impress your friends without dragging a knee. :rofl:

Slow turner??? It is more touring orientated..... :rider:

Gription sucking??? Yup - it can be broke loose with enough power and it's not going to stick like a Pilot Power BUT it's very consistent throughout a wide range of riding conditions and lasts a long time for the money. :deal:

I like to keep one on my extra rear wheel for daily commutes and swap out to a Pilot Power for the real twisty stuff. That's when slow turn in is most noticeable.

All in all it's a great tire even though the prices have shot up a bit recently.

Nice to hear. I might give these a shot before Alabama next month. Rear should be shot after this weekend and ~3500 miles on the stock Dunnie

I ride a GSX1100G an older sistter to the modern Bandit and I am on my second 009 Raven and the first one went over 12,000 miles:eek2: . (I am still on the same front tire) I was commuting to San Antonio all last year rain or shine.(and did it rain) I have fond this to be an EXCELLENT dry & wet weather tire.

As for the "gription" comment: This is a sport / touring tire, NOT a crouch-rocket knee-dragging Race track tire.

That being said I have had dirt markings on my tread within a quarter inch of the edge of the tire. There is more than enough performance for the times you want that above the posted limit rush.

The mileage, cost and Handling is fantastic!!!! As long as I can get them I will not run any other tire!!!!!!!

If you have chicken strips on a Raven, you ain't really riding. ;-)

I'm getting between 6 and 6.5K on them but I'm above average in the weight department.

No stupid photos Jay....

Dave

Be careful with the Shinko 009, I had a set on a 03 Kawasaki Mean Streak and they were the scariest tires I ever owned, the bike never felt right with them on. They didn't last all that long and the front tire developed small bubbles around the out side, I swore I would never ride on a Shinko again.

Be careful with the Shinko 009, I had a set on a 03 Kawasaki Mean Streak and they were the scariest tires I ever owned, the bike never felt right with them on. They didn't last all that long and the front tire developed small bubbles around the out side, I swore I would never ride on a Shinko again.

I recently tried Shinko's and that's my dilemma. It is bound to be the most unstable rear tire I've ever run.

Over the past couple of years I've ran Pirelli SuperCorsa's, Metzler M1's, Continental Road Attacks, Continental ContiForce's, Tomahawk T3's, and Dunlop Sportmax's.

I am a believer in aways running a softer front tire compound. The Sportmax is probably the stickiest street legal tire money can buy, and will last just as long as a slightly harder rear. I am also not afraid to mix tire brands. I almost always use a Tomahawk T3 rear tire and Dunlop Sportmax front with excellent results for a mileage and grip compromise. Riding agressively I can overpower the Tomahawk rear, but unless its cold out or pavement is dirty, the Sportmax front is like rotating superglue.

Nice to hear. I might give these a shot before Alabama next month. Rear should be shot after this weekend and ~3500 miles on the stock Dunnie
I was right, 3550 miles and the rear is bald after this weekend. All freeway, 80-90mph for 800 miles. I am thinking of flying to Alabama and leaving the bike at home. It was a miserable 800 mile ride.

Well, I'm not sure why you two had such a poor experience with the Shinko while others seem to love them... I put another 600mi on mine this weekend and thought it did great. In fact, you guys are the only two I've heard that think the tire was dangerous... plenty don't like the profile, or think grip is lacking when trying to run it like a race tire, but I've never run across them being described as "unstable."

I honestly can't tell any difference between the 009 and the RoadAttack aside from a slower turn in. Grip wise they feel exactly the same to me, neither have ever slipped.

Maybe these will get worse with time? I've had peg feelers dragging on the concrete with no drama, and that's as aggressive as I plan on getting on the street...

I'll post up tonight w/ pictures and tread depth measurements, tire currently has around 1,600 miles on it.

trey

I was right, 3550 miles and the rear is bald after this weekend. All freeway, 80-90mph for 800 miles. I am thinking of flying to Alabama and leaving the bike at home. It was a miserable 800 mile ride.

Can you snap a pic of the tire? I would imagine 800 miles of high-speed super-slabbing vaporized the center of that thing.... The stock Dunlop looked like a brick when I took it off.

trey

It's a crappy tire IMO. Most of it's life has been highway from what the prev. owner told me. I put the last 850 or so on it. I'll get a pic tonight if I remember.

Ok, here's the update:

1679-1.jpg

1679-2.jpg

1679-3.jpg

This is the tire with 1,679 miles on it.

Tread depth is now 5mm all the way across, L, R and Center.

I'm still happy with the tire, seems like it's going to be a winner, but I'm not convinced until it's all over...

trey

For the money, you can't beat them IMO. Txbanditrydr put me on them and he rides much more aggressively than me without issue. He also does 25K+ miles per year too (about 2X more than me). If there were any serious issues, we would know about them. I have 2 rear tires and 1 front in back stock right now. That will give you an idea about my confidence level on this tire. I've run most ST brands (AVON, Mich's, Dunlops, BT 020's). I get a little better wear out of the AVONs but not enough to justify the difference in cost. No difference in performance as far as I can tell. The profile of this tire is different but it handles as well as the others, off the track.

Dave

I have 2 rear tires and 1 front in back stock right now.

How do you like the front? I've heard that the center groove down the middle of the tire makes it want to follow uneven pavement really badly.

I'm still working on my RoadAttack front tire, it's wearing nice and even, but it's going to run out of tread one of these days...

trey

How do you like the front? I've heard that the center groove down the middle of the tire makes it want to follow uneven pavement really badly.
trey

To be honest, I have not used the 009's front tires extensively. Most of my experience has been with the rear tires. I have a 009 front on the bandit now and have not noticed a problem like you've described. The old macadam 90's and 100's had a centerline grove also. I ran those extensively without issue so I don't suspect that I will see this problem.

Dave

I'm still working on my RoadAttack front tire, it's wearing nice and even, but it's going to run out of tread one of these days...

trey

I am running the 009 on the front(it is at about 14,000 miles + or - a bit) Compared to the Battle-ax:yawn: I was running it is pour sunshine:sun: . (I Ride a GSX1100G Witch is a kin to the Bandit.)

I am on my 3rd rear and 2nd front Shinko on one of my Guzzi's ,
typical wear has been@ 4K on the rear then changed the front with the second rear @8K mi. Took a 6400 mi trip last summer up to Washington,
the rear was at 2mm at 3900 mi and I changed it out ( shipped a tire
ahead to a friends house up there )
I have had no traction issues, "moments" that were tire related, work ok in the rain etc.
They are a little noisier on some surfaces than other tires ( I had Conti's
and Metzeler's previously on that bike )
They are a very good tire for the money.

Only 4K miles? I'll stick with a BT021 for $30 more. I am still on the fence here and need to order a tire real soon or take the pilot power off my VFR :rofl:

Only 4K miles? I'll stick with a BT021 for $30 more. I am still on the fence here and need to order a tire real soon or take the pilot power off my VFR :rofl:

Any rear tire I can get 4K miles from is good with me, I have never
gotten more than 5K from any brand back tire and I have tried them all..

-

Any rear tire I can get 4K miles from is good with me, I have never
gotten more than 5K from any brand back tire and I have tried them all..

-
That's my point. If mileage is a wash, then might as well spend $30 for a piece of mind being as there is only 2 tires holding me up. Same goes for the helmet debates.

Now I still might try this tire. I imagine with the torque of the bandit any tire will last fewer clicks than on a smaller cc'ed scoot. Just whatever you the rider feel safe on

Back