• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3's update

BIG A

Reaction score
just came back from a two day 1200 mile trip out through big bend, and back up into the hill country through camp wood and leakey, 337 out of leakey just past the river is completely torn up all the way to the first road that climbs up the hills, it is all just road base, very dusty, or muddy, depending on if they water it. has to be 4-5 miles if not more, if you go be careful.:eek2:

that sucks. Was planning to ride out there next weekend. Thanks for the warning!

Yeah, I was out there last weekend. The torn up sections wasn't that bad for me. It was the mud that was tracked onto the road after that leaving Leakey. Seemed like it went on for 7-10 miles.

i wouldn't let it ruin a trip, i rode it on my gold wing, did rattle my teeth a few times, but if ya go slow it's not too bad, the only way is if it was raining it would be a real mess.

I will be going through there on April 7 on my way from San Marcos (via Bandera, Medina, and Vanderpool) to Leakey, Texas for a Texas Forest Service fire seminar. I will most definitely drive thru 337 on my way. I will be in my Ford van, with my trusty Kawasaki ZL600 stashed inside.

I promise to check out this work on 337 (east of Leakey) and report to you all here the condition. I will try to get pics of it too, but can't promise to get the pics downloaded to my laptop and then re uploaded to here before I get home on April 10. I will get them on here on April 10, and will try to get them here earlier.

Some forums frown on 'double-posting' messages. Since I have heard no such rule here, I think I will also post this message on the TWT Spring Hill Country Rally forum, since they will be affected by this bit of road work too.

scooter78666

I'll be watching this thread, as I may have a chance to go that way this summer

Don't let it cancel your trip. Simply alter your route and don't use the section of 337 between Utopia and Leakey. There is still lots of good riding around there.

It is not a trip killer by any means. A minor **** yes but not a killer. It is only a few miles out of almost 60 miles of 337. I rode it two up on the RT with out much drama except for the roughness and waiting for the pilot car to lead us through.

337 is now a dual sport ride?

Boy, just when you think things can't get any better!

Tom

Other than the construction zone east of Leakey, the rest of 337 to Vanderpool is an awesome ride. Ride out to the construction from Vanderpool, then turn around. It's only about 20 miles out and back.

Alternative routes between Vanderpool and Leakey exist.

One would be 187 south to Utopia, west on 1050 to Garner State Park, then north on 83 to Leakey. This route is 20 miles longer than 337.

Another alternative would be 187 north past Lost Maples State Park to 39, west on 39 to 83, and south to Leakey. This route is about 22 miles longer than 337.

If looking for a faster route direct to Leakey, 470 from Bandura to Utopia and 1050 is only a 7 miles longer than 16 to 337 in Medina. From Kerrville, take 27 to Ingram, where you pick up 39 to 83, then south to Leakey. this route is only a mile or so longer than taking 16 to Medina to pick up 337.

Other than the construction zone east of Leakey, the rest of 337 to Vanderpool is an awesome ride. Ride out to the construction from Vanderpool, then turn around. It's only about 20 miles out and back.

Alternative routes between Vanderpool and Leakey exist.

One would be 187 south to Utopia, west on 1050 to Garner State Park, then north on 83 to Leakey. This route is 20 miles longer than 337.

Another alternative would be 187 north past Lost Maples State Park to 39, west on 39 to 83, and south to Leakey. This route is about 22 miles longer than 337.

If looking for a faster route direct to Leakey, 470 from Bandura to Utopia and 1050 is only a 7 miles longer than 16 to 337 in Medina. From Kerrville, take 27 to Ingram, where you pick up 39 to 83, then south to Leakey. this route is only a mile or so longer than taking 16 to Medina to pick up 337.

Ken, a couple of way-out questions for you:

(1) how does a guy from SAGINAW, (Tarrant County, no?) get soo familiar with the roads around here, my Hill country base? I salute you for knowing them so well....and

(2) how does this thread get it's name "3's update"?

scooter78666
San Marcos

scooter78666
San Marcos

Basically an update of the construction on 337 which is part of the "3 sisters" / "twisted sisters" / "the 3's" etc which consists of 337, 335 and 336. Hope that makes sense.

Ken, a couple of way-out questions for you:

(1) how does a guy from SAGINAW, (Tarrant County, no?) get soo familiar with the roads around here, my Hill country base? I salute you for knowing them so well....and

scooter78666
San Marcos

T-dub and I have done a couple solo rides down that way.

Back