• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Syn. Oil Users

You are spending too much money. Try this next time.

Not a synthetic my friend. Just a highly refined dino oil that sticks the synthetic label on the bottle.;-)

I use nothing but Amsoil and yes, it is awesome stuff indeed. I can tell a vast difference in shifting over Rotella "synthetic" stuff.

What about Motul 5100 semi synthetic, the shop I use recommended this, anyone have long term experience with it? And how many miles do you put on the Amsoil before changing it? They say you can go twice the amount on full syn oil.

I tried the Rotella T. Once. Couldn't wait to switch back to my favorite Silkolene synth. Noticeable depreciation in sound, feel, and shifting. There are tons of of studies out there and everyone has their own opinion. I won't try to persuade those who have joined the Amsoil cult, since there seems to be a lot of data out to suggest it's pretty good stuff. But Rotella is a no go for me.

After Cliff Piper's recommendation (Piper Performance Racing) to use Rotella T in our bikes, that's all John and I have used.

Not sure what'll go in the "new" bikes though :trust:

Don't get me wrong, Rotella is some good stuff. But it's not for every bike out there. It won't hurt any of them, but some prefer it and others don't. My Warrior tranny hated Rotella and made the shifting very, very notchy. My ex-wife's SV loved the stuff and it ran better with it over Amsoil.

I use Amsoil in Strom just because of the longer change intervals. I usually go 5-6k miles before changing oil and I wouldn't dream of doing that with Rotella.

My ex-wife's SV loved the stuff and it ran better with it over Amsoil.

Rotella is the SV owners Kool Aid :trust:

The design engineers I've talked to (I'm at a Shell R&D facility) have said that it is a very good oil & suitable for m/c use.

That said, different designs will like different oils. I just did the 1K mile service on the Buell & used HD Formula + for the primary & Rotella T (conventional) & it seems to be running fine so far.

Rotella in all my bikes, it has it's place. I have yet to change the Bandit and the PO used Amsoil and I will likely find a dealer here and see what his costs are. If too high, I may just go with dealer recommended oil.

The main thing is to change your oil regularly. All major brands do a good job. I'm an Amsoil fan - used it in all my stuff (bikes, cars, lawn-movers etc.) since 1990 (engine oil, gear oil, trans fluid etc.).

Everything you care to know about motor oil can be found at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I use Pennzoil Platinum in both my vehicles. The Bandit only has 32 miles on it. Still undecided what to use.

In the bottom of the forums there is a sub-forum for rebates and sales. I never buy PP (Pennzoil Platinum) for over $1.99 a quart!!!

Look in the used oil analysis section for some interesting results!!

My Wee likes the Rot.synth. and it shifts smoother than the hi priced spread.I hate buying it from wallyworld but because of travel it's available around the corner and around the clock.I hate oily arguments

byby
wolfshead1

Currently Suzuki's own branded 4-S motorcycle synthetic is actually a Shell Rotella synth (motorcycle version though)... got that info from an informed Amsoil dealer who also happens to be a longtime bike rider. Take that info however you wish.

I too use only Amsoil in bikes, etc. Currently in the Bandit 1250 (4500mi) and as soon as I reach the 600mi service for the SV650, I'll put Amsoil in it. Doing 20w-50 in the higher revvin' V-twin with the warmer weather and a trip approaching. Update: Just finished the 600 and it works great so far.

What about Motul 5100 semi synthetic, the shop I use recommended this, anyone have long term experience with it?
I never use a "Semi" Synth oil.
You don't know how much Synth is in "Semi" Synth.
Is it 10% Synth? Is it 30% Synth? is it 50% Synth??

I either use FULL Synth or Dino oil...and All the studies I've seen show there's miniscule difference between Car Full Synth oil and Motorcycle Full Synth oil, so I use the cheaper Car Synth oil...regualar MOBIL1 15W50.

If you really want Semi Synth I'd buy a gallon of Full Synth and Dino and mix the two 50/50, then you're assured of the Synth content.

These sites do not seem like super reputable sources to me.

While I know people that use Rotella and swear by, it bothers to buy oil at wallyworld. I am an Amsoil fan myself, definably cost a little more but worth peace at mind for me.

I concur with dwoodul, change you oil AND filter regularly. It's funny to see at the parts store people buying the fanciest oil on the shelf and then getting the cheapest filter. I am a K&N oil filter person myself.

Also, anyone here ever use royal purple for your two-wheeled machines, how did it work out? I don't plan on it, just curious.

There are additives in motorcycle oil vs. automotive oil designed to make the wet clutch perform properly. Maybe some oil companies "throw" bike additives into all their synths, I don't know, but I'm not assuming they do just because it's some popular synth company. Amsoil produces only 2 dedicated 4-S mult-vis oils for bikes with wet clutches and they are MCF 10w-40 & MCV 20w-50; both are JASO and MA2 (higher) rated. Recent Suzi manuals specifically state to use an oil (doesn't say dino or synth) which meets JASO & MA standards, the latter for wet clutches. Was stated in my M109r, Bandit 1250 & SV650 manuals with pictures.

Just suggesting that whichever brand or type oil you use that it meets exactly what your manual stipulates, so there is never a loophole in a warranty claim. HTH :thumb:

I just changed my oil at 300 miles and decided to put in the Amsoil MCF 10W40. I actually went to walmart first to purchase Rotella synthetic, but just couldn't get myself to do it, despite all the great oil analysis'.

Yea, the Amsoil is quite expensive at $6.50 a qt, but it sure is worth it imo. I does shift much nicer, and the piece of mind is priceless. I may do an oil analysis myself after this batch just to see how things are doing....

BTW, anyone have trouble with their oil filter the first time? I had to pound a screw driver through the filter and turn it almost two full revolutions before it was loose enough to turn it by hand. Do they have King Kong putting these things on in the factory? So much for using a torque wrench.

I use Wix filters in my cars, and decided to use them on the bike as well.

Walmart house brand synthetic every 5000 miles.
It is the shearing in the transmission gears that tears the oil up.
Just about any oil well do. Excluding recycled oils. The older 2 stroke required 30w non detergent, The clutches just hate that.
The thing is you must develope a "feel" for your bike and how it shifts. The first indication it needs fresh stuff is when it doesn't feel or sound like it should when fresh oil is in it. Frankly I don't pay much attention to milage, if I have change in shifting and associated noise I change it. Just at 5000 miles from what I can tell. I only get 1500 miles out of regular dino. Funny the oil still feels 'slippery" .
I also magnitize the metal filter plate. This picks up all the micro metal parts floating in the oil. It is along the same lines as a magnet in your automatic transmission found on GM vehicles.

What a difference in shifting/ I am hooked

http://www.thebestoil.com/mcf.asp

rworm:thumb:

I've been using amsoil 10/40 motorcycle oil in my bikes for about 10 years now and wouldn't use anything else in my bikes, in fact I have to change the oil today as I just hit 7,500 miles coming home from school last night.

I usually run the Amsoil at twice whatever the oil change interval is with a filter change in the middle, and I switched to the 10/40 Amsoil at the 4,000 mile oil change, and I changing the oil out today with only 3,500 miles on it, as I figured that things were probably still wearing in a little.

So after todays oil change I'll run the oil until the 14,500 mile oil change and change the filter and top up the oil level at the normal 11,000 mile oil change.

Amsoil says that you can safely double the oil change interval, but they also recommend a filter change in the middle of the oil change interval. :rider:

Back