• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet question

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Okay, little by little I'm getting the gear I need. Today I got my Nolan N100E in Large. The sizing chart said that anything up to 24" (I think) is a large and I measured my noggin at 23 1/4.

The paperwork that came with this said that the helmet should fit "comfortably snug". Define comfortably snug for me. While my head doesn't feel like it's in a vice, it does feel "tight". I do realize that tight is better than loose but the pressure above my eyes on the forehead does seem a little excessive.

Are helmets like boots in that they need to be broken in? I'm wearing this as I sit here and type, hoping that it will conform to my head long before I have a motorcycle to straddle. It's been over 20 years since I've had a helmet on so please excuse my ignorance on the topic. I can tell you that my helmet 20 years ago was far more loose on my head than this one but I don't remember having cheek pads way back then either.

FWIW, I got this from The Helmet Shop in Daytona... $179 delivered and it was here within a week. It was mfg'd in Oct so it's fairly new. This was the best price I could find anywhere including on eBay.

Comments/Suggestions?

I like the helmet shop. I got mine there too, but I went to a local store and tried on the style I wanted for size first.

I'm no expert, having owned only two cheap helmets in my short riding lifetime. I'd have to guess that the padding will ease a little in time, but not overnight and nothing major. If you can see a few hours wearing it causing a headache, then go up a size. Sometimes it's not about the measurement, just the way your head is shaped. Maybe the circumference of your head is just right, but you have room on the sides and are tight in front and back?

My 5 YO N100 did wear-in somewhat, I now wear helmet liners to compensate, which BTW makes wearing a helmet much more comfy. One good rule of thumb is that you should be able to turn your head briskly without the helmet shifting position significantly.

Squeaky said:
I'd have to guess that the padding will ease a little in time, but not overnight and nothing major. If you can see a few hours wearing it causing a headache, then go up a size. Sometimes it's not about the measurement, just the way your head is shaped. Maybe the circumference of your head is just right, but you have room on the sides and are tight in front and back?

Ditto..........

I bought a KBC and it felt good at first but after about an hour I had the worst headache. Pulled off the helmet --------- instant relief. Correct size but not the correct shape. My Arai Quantum f fits like a glove. Cheek pads were a bit tight when I first got it, but it's perfect now.

You should have equal pressure all the way around your head. Tighter spots in front or on the sides are an indication you don't have the right shape of helmet. My head is long oval shaped and Arai's fit very well. Some Shoeis fit ok, and many such as HJC, AGV and Soumy are too round.

Different helmets fit differently. I wore a medium with my KBC, but with the Scorpion I will get next, I will wear a large.

Make sure you try several on...different shaped heads also fit helmets differently.

Snug is good, tight is bad. My helmet test is, if I put one one and swing my head side to side...if it stays pretty good, it's a nice fit....if it slips around, it's too big. Too snug you usually know because it makes your head hurt or gives you a headache :-)

Kim

Thanks folks. I wore it for close to two hours with no headache and it seems to conform a wee bit. I've got plenty of time yet before I'll have a bike so I'll get it broke in by then.

Back