• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stock 1250 muffler, shortened.

I'm not a member of that forum, so it's not gonna show me the pics :shrug:

It's cool though, I've been wanting to shorten my CF Muzzy as well. Did it change the pitch of the exhaust at all? Does shortening the can make the pitch go higher?

I've been curious about removing the 6 "tacked" bolts holding the can together to attempt a mod. Did you do that to get it apart for shortening? I'd love to see a pic of the result.

I've been curious about removing the 6 "tacked" bolts holding the can together to attempt a mod. Did you do that to get it apart for shortening? I'd love to see a pic of the result.

Only 3 are actually used, the one kinda' pointed towards the pass. ft.peg, then, every other one. And, you can't do anything with it off anyhow. Not much to do, unless you start cutting.

Doesn't sound too much different really. A little throatier at idle. It easily could have been much louder, if I had increased the size of the final thru' pipe, but I was happy as is.

here's the pics, and the quickie play by play:

I got the trim cap off the end, it's the screw up towards footpeg, then every other one, you gotta' cut the spot welds. Then cut the whole end of the muffler off, got the middle support out, replaced it with the cleaned up END support (gotta' grind off the polished SS that wraps around to become part of canister) tack weld back together, cut the canister sleeve to length....end cap's 1st step is for the perforated steel, 2nd is for the ss can, so measure accordingly, slide it all back in without screwing up the steel wool like liner that protects the packing material..... the perf. tube is flared at the end, I took a bit of the flare out, as it kept catching that dang steel wool stuff. Anyhow, slide it all back , a couple tack welds at the bottom of the new rear support location, grinding it fairly smooth and even where anything is hanging over, put the trim plate on,(only goes one way.....done.

The rough edge at the back really isn't that noticeable, but I may look for a SS clamp to put around it

Wasn't that bad, but could'a used a torch for getting that darn tube cut off that's welded behind the support that gets replaced Also, the pipe in the rear support must be cut off to fit far enough in.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

m6.jpg

And here's a pic that Circlerat put up on the other forum, showing the innards of the bazooka. Not that much to it. You're cutting off the end, then the whole inside slides out, then cutting out that middle support at the spot welds, and replacing it with the support that WAS the end support. The tube going out the end will be cut off short, 'bout 2" long(on the INSIDE), the short pipe in the middle support gets trashed with the middle support, as well as part of the long tube thats going to the furthermost support. I cut a slit in the perferated metal so I could cut that pipe with a sawzall, so it would end about midpoint between the 2 supports. So, you have that one pipe going thru' the 1st support,part way into the rear chamber, then the short pipe going out the rear, but they aren't connected.

Of course this would be done with the perforated outer cage all intact!!! except for the amount cutoff

mf11.jpg

i like the exploded views of the stock muffler, i would guess most stock mufflers are pretty much the same inside, aftermarkets are all straight thru.

heres a pic of my application of '06 suzuki gsxr stock can. from what i could see from the front, cutting the valve off it looks similar, mines titanium, ooohhhh .....

img0960cn3.jpg

img0945jz0.jpg

thank you mr dmerc for the pictures of the stock can cut open.

I've got a gixxer can coming too! It's a new take off...... a regular flange mount canister. But, I don't
have a midpipe yet, and can't even find a source for a mating 4 bolt flange, so that may be on the back burner for a while. I saw your write up, but know nothing about about welding titanium. Nice looking pipe tho'!!

EDIT: BTW Suzukijo, RE: the mechanism you cutoff, then replaced with a slip pipe: I'm assuming it's similar to yammie's exup valve?
Could you have just hooked it up as-is, and locked it in the fully open position? ....or, pulled the gate in it (if that's even possible)

Would it then have been a bolt on with no welding required? Or would it still have needed an extension?

Thanks,
Don

Great mod, but IMO still looks goofy. Until I decide on aftermarket or modding a GSXR pipe I am leaving mine alone and racking on the miles.

Good work!

Great mod, but IMO still looks goofy. Until I decide on aftermarket or modding a GSXR pipe I am leaving mine alone and racking on the miles.

Good work!
Goofy maybe, but for now,it's better than bizarre!!:rofl:

I'd consider the gixxer titanium if not for the welding......never welded titanium. If it will bolt up, and you can simply fix the valve in the fully open position, I can see that pipe becoming a hot commodity.

I have a buddy that can TIG so I just need to find one and a piece it Ti to splice in. So far no luck on any of that. haha

I have a 1000 GSXR pipe, not a direct bolt up without doing jo's mods. The valve stays open all the time with no ECU controling it but since you need a flange weld on might as well do away with the valve portion as jo did. It is not a really light muffler the TI portion is the skin and the flange pipe the internals are stainless just like any other OEM bazooka. Granted it is lighter than the Bandit OEM shuttle launcher.

I have a 1000 GSXR pipe, not a direct bolt up without doing jo's mods. The valve stays open all the time with no ECU controling it but since you need a flange weld on might as well do away with the valve portion as jo did. It is not a really light muffler the TI portion is the skin and the flange pipe the internals are stainless just like any other OEM bazooka. Granted it is lighter than the Bandit OEM shuttle launcher.

What flange? here's one from Ebay....if the valve stays open, would it not slip right on a bandit? Or do you just mean a longer pipe?

86e9_1.jpg

dmerc, let me know if there are more questions.
thanks roy for posting original thread link.

i like the way my '06 gsxr pipe worked out. it fit easily, is a little zoomier sounding, has a dot label if i get stopped and hassled by chp, and made my bandit look different than yours.
i did buy another one, a really nice one for $50 off ebay, and another ti tubing that would allow me to use stock gasket (first pipe has a copper shim for gasket but so far doesnt leak and is holding tight) and clamp, but just have not had time to just do it a second time.

i probably have less than $100 in it, had my neighbor who had a mig welder and never welded ti before weld it, he used thin strips of the ti tube for welding rod, and i am totally pleased with the look and what seems to me the same performance of the stock ex pipe.

link to welding ti http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWelding/ArcWelding_Article.cfm?ID=878

img0943wc0.jpg

He did it with a mig welder? or tig? Maybe my cheapie flux-core mig would work if I had the correct wire, but what would a spool of THAT cost!:eek2:

i am not sure if he used mig or tig? i'm not a welder.
i can weld with a torch, but know nothing about what tig or mig is.
i just cut up some of the ti tubing with tin snips into long strips, and he used that for the welding rod. nothing special, we cleaned it with some alcohol and a stainless wire brush, its not like its a SR-71 and is going to fly into space. its just a muffler. good luck with your projects, i would encourage anyone to do what they think might fit, it might work out? anybody can just call on the phone and debit card a muffler to ship to your door.

no matter how goofy some things look, i really appreciate it when someone has an idea, works with it, and ends up with something of his own creation. other people may laugh, saying "i would have bought a new sooper dooper brand", but after working at the dealer level for 30 years, i am not impressed by that. there is always someone else who has more money, and more store bought stuff.

(like i had you guys fooled into thinking i knew stuff, HAH! what the diff between tig and mig, anyway?)

i am not sure if he used mig or tig? i'm not a welder.
i can weld with a torch, but know nothing about what tig or mig is.
i just cut up some of the ti tubing with tin snips into long strips, and he used that for the welding rod. nothing special, we cleaned it with some alcohol and a stainless wire brush, its not like its a SR-71 and is going to fly into space. its just a muffler. good luck with your projects, i would encourage anyone to do what they think might fit, it might work out? anybody can just call on the phone and debit card a muffler to ship to your door.

no matter how goofy some things look, i really appreciate it when someone has an idea, works with it, and ends up with something of his own creation. other people may laugh, saying "i would have bought a new sooper dooper brand", but after working at the dealer level for 30 years, i am not impressed by that. there is always someone else who has more money, and more store bought stuff.

(like i had you guys fooled into thinking i knew stuff, HAH! what the diff between tig and mig, anyway?)

As a perfect example, I went to a 'Busa forum looking for a new take-off can and mid-pipe. I was met with nothing but attitude.

"Why don't you just go buy one"....stuff like that. I felt like I was dealing with the Harley crowd. I certainly was not worthy of their time.

Some folks don't understand the satisfaction of doing things without simply throwing money at it. I saw an ad in their classifieds for a full exhaust that had been $2600 new.:eek2: It was for sale for"only" $1400:mrgreen:

I can fix almost anything! (eventually) ;o)

Suzukijo I want to give you a big pat on the back for your creativity, originality and implimentation. It's good to see people follow thru with a idea because they like it instead of polling others and going with the popular consensus. Aesthetically speaking I think it's a big improvement over stock, and from certain angles (like that 3/4 rear view) it looks like Suzuki designed it especially for the Bandit.

By your description I would say it was TIG welded.

Suzukijo I want to give you a big pat on the back for your creativity, originality and implimentation. It's good to see people follow thru with a idea because they like it instead of polling others and going with the popular consensus. Aesthetically speaking I think it's a big improvement over stock, and from certain angles (like that 3/4 rear view) it looks like Suzuki designed it especially for the Bandit.

By your description I would say it was TIG welded.

I agree, seems like Bandit owners have more than their share of ingenius, self reliant types. Ya' don't see that much anymore.

SuzukiJo responded to my pm with a complete explanation, WITH pics! Above and beyond the call of duty!! Great guy!!

if someone is truly attempting to adapt an '05/'06 gsxr can to their bandit, i still have a length of ti tubing left from my first attempt. enough to make the connector to fit the stock header and thin strips for welding rod.
i paid $30 total for it, and have about half left.

i will send it postage paid for $15, please contact me off list if you are interested. it is 55mm inner dia, and the stock header is 54mm outer dia.
i used .020 brass shim to make it a snug fit, the shim is also easily available, most hobby shops have it on the wall behind their counter.
the stainless hinged bolt opening clamps i got from McMaster-Carr, about another $20 for 2 items. they have an online catalog.

bones, dmerc, either of you or others sincere about this, email me off list.
i will help with info on what i did, and you can do as i did, or better yet, show me another way, no problem.

here is a pic of the tube i used welded in place.

img2584my3.jpg

and what i have left, about 125mm long (5 inches) and 55mm inside dia.

img3290js8.jpg

Back