• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

shop stand & other repair tool advice

Gilk51

Reaction score
First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
My son and I are going to look at stand(s) for his motorcycle so we can start pulling old stuff off & putting new stuff on. I have seen a couple of stands at different places, but wonder what the folks here use for repairs and maintenance?

I saw this in another section on vendors (Cycle Gear):
I bought a set of Pit Bull stands from them

Any recommendations? - the bike we will be fixing is a GSXR600, if that makes any difference. Want something sturdy that we can leave the bike up on for (probably) several weeks.

Also looking at getting a torque wrench. I have a Craftsman tool set (metric and SAE) that is pretty decent - I figured they would have a resonable TW as well.

Other item we might need is a chain cutter/repair tool. Hopefully, we won't need to use it, but may look at one, just in case.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

You can't beat Pit Bull stands. They will outlast you and your bikes, but get the type with adjustable pads and spool holders. My next purchase will be a Pit Bull stand that mates to the steering stem and takes the pressure off the forks so I can remove them. There are other slightly cheaper brands, but the only ones I have heard negative things about (and they are the cheapest) are the Handy stands.

I have Craftsman torque wrenches and they work fine. 10-100 ft/lb 3/8" model and a 0-250 in/lb in 1/4" model for the light stuff. I really also need a heavier 1/2" model for up to 150 ft/lbs.

My chain tool is from Motion Pro and cost about $85. Be sure you grind off the rivet heads with a grinder or Dremel tool before you press out the pins.

Pit Bull is pretty stout stuff. I like mine.
I'm going to research full on bike lifts - I've always wondered if there were any suitable for a home garage (not built in, maybe something that rolls around so you can stow it away when not in use, not costing thousands of dollars, etc). I think it would be downright luxurious not to have to scoot around on the garage floor.
Dave.

:tab If you are removing the chain, I have found it quicker and easier to simply use the dremel to cut the links and not to bother with using the press tool to push the pin through. I have done it both ways. Of course, this destroys the link on the chain so you won't be able to resuse it. But who does that anyway :shrug:

:tab A while back, I saw a website where a guy built a nice stand for working on bikes. He used plywood and cut slots in the pieces so they would fit together like the little packing spacers in the Christmas ball ornament packages between the balls. Then he laid a sheet over that frame. He used a ramp to get the bike on top of the platform which was about 30" off the ground. He had tie down points on the platform to secure the bike. He still used stands to get the bike off the wheels if needed. The entire thing came apart and the pieces would lay flat up against a wall sticking out only a few inches. The benefit of this work stand is that he did not have to bend over to work on the bike. Of course, with the cost of parts nowdays, you may already be used to bending over and it will be a non-issue... :-P

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
:tab If you are removing the chain, I have found it quicker and easier to simply use the dremel to cut the links and not to bother with using the press tool to push the pin through. I have done it both ways. Of course, this destroys the link on the chain so you won't be able to resuse it. But who does that anyway :shrug:

Absolutely. However, if you need a 110 link chain and it only comes in 112 links, then you have to push the pin through in order to get the correct length. :-D Bolt cutters work well for chain removal too. Just don't do it until you replace the countershaft sprocket. :roll:

:tab Yeah, that is what we had to do when we changed out the chain on Squeaky's SV650 last September... the night or so before the ride!! Anyway, hers was a few links to long as well. I have the same Motion Pro chain breaker/riveting tool kit and it works great. I have used it quite a bit because of the miles I have put on my own bikes and from helping others replace their changes.

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
... when we changed out the chain on Squeaky's SV650 last September... the night or so before the ride!!

Hey, it was Wednesday and we didn't leave 'till the weekend, and isn't that what you call "part of the adventure"? We got it done. Oh yeah - thanks for helping me! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info.

Picked up a Craftsman torque wrench (on sale!) this evening. It's 1/2" up to 150 lbs - MicroTork. Got a $5 off certificate for a $20 purchase - good for tomorrow only - hmmmmmmm.

Gonna go look at Pit Bull Stands tomorrow.

Picking up parts on ebay...

Lifts

mlinkibikr said:
I'm going to research full on bike lifts - I've always wondered if there were any suitable for a home garage (not built in, maybe something that rolls around so you can stow it away when not in use, not costing thousands of dollars, etc). I think it would be downright luxurious not to have to scoot around on the garage floor.
Dave.

I've been using a lift from http://www.lift-buddy.com for about three years now. I've not had any serious complaints about it. It doesn't require a compressor since it is hydralic. Just be sure to order the upgraded wheel vice if you intend to use one. The one that comes with the lift is too small to be of much use. :roll:

The only modification I have made to the lift was to install some eyelets on each corner for tie downs. The only real complaint is that the paint does eventually chip. So far I haven't had any issues with rust though.

And you're right. Getting the bike up off the floor does makes working on a bike oh so much easier! :-D

When I purchased my lift it was the only decent one on the market in its price range. A quick search of the web a few weeks ago did pull up some other lifts in the same price range that looked like they would be as good. So, shop around!

Carl

Well, I got the Pit Bull SS at Cycle Gear - paid retail but wanted to try some stuff out this weekend (so I paid for impatience).

Also rigged my DL650's right front turn signal with a cheap amber lens and some black duct tape so I could go ride today. Should work until the new signal comes in... (better than just the bulb hanging down)

Also sprayed the grime from last Saturday off - or thought I did - still some left after it dried - guess I better get out the soap!

So I used the bike to go pick up a magneto gasket for the GSXR... :-D

Sounds like it was a productive day, and you got some riding in too!

Glad you are going to take the time to piece the bike back together. I look forward to the updates and pics!

mlinkibikr said:
I'm going to research full on bike lifts

http://weliftmotorcycles.com/1000-2lift-photos.htm

pic2b.jpg

Not bad for $400.

This one is $340
pic3c.jpg

http://weliftmotorcycles.com/1000-3lift-photos.htm

Back