TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
landman650r

Chain Adjustment on DRZ400 for newbie

OK...my chain has loosened up and I need to adjust it and its about **** time I do something myself.

I usually let the shop do it when the bikes in there anyways...but I dont plan on it goin into the shop soon so here my question....How do you adjust the chain? My bike didnt come with a manual, I need to go buy one. There is a threaded bolt with a nut on it by the rear hub inside the swingarm...isnt this the adjustment tool? unscrew the nut a little and adjust the bolt?
landman650r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Hemibee

Re: Chain Adjustment on DRZ400 for newbie

Loosen the axle and move the wheel to the point where the chain is at the correct tightness/tension while making sure the wheel is straight (in proper alignment) and then adjust the threaded bolts out to the axle. Once completed and alignment is again checked, tighten the nut on the threaded to bolt to help keep it from moving. Recheck for correct adjustment and alignment, fire the puppy up and go for a ride.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger - "Black Betty" - Gone
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles." John Wayne
Hemibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
landman650r

thanx for the quick reply
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
DFW_Warrior

Just remember, chains on dirt bikes (yes, the DRZ is pretty much a dirt bike) like to be run pretty darn loose because of the suspension travel. The chain on my WR looks like it is about to fall off when the rear suspension is fully extended.

If you over-tighten, you will just put tremendous stress on the entire drive line. I've seen countershaft bearing fail due to over tight chains and/or belts.

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
WoodButcher
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemibee View Post
Loosen the axle and move the wheel to the point where the chain is at the correct tightness/tension while making sure the wheel is straight (in proper alignment) and then adjust the threaded bolts out to the axle. Once completed and alignment is again checked, tighten the nut on the threaded to bolt to help keep it from moving. Recheck for correct adjustment and alignment, fire the puppy up and go for a ride.
DRZ is a snail adjuster instead of adjusting bolts.

So, just loosen the axle bolt and rotate each adjuster. They have numbers on them, so if the frame isn't bent you just need to have each on the same position. Then tighten the axle bolt and put on a new cotter pin. I just can't remember the freeplay for the chain. Something like a 3/4" to 1" from center (or 1.5" to 2" of total play). Measured at the end of the chain slider on the top of the swingarm.

"Even this evil is productive of good. It prevents the degeneracy of government, and nourishes a general attention to the public affairs. I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." - Thomas Jefferson

1999 DR650 - still not from this century
2009 R1200GS Adventure - finally, a new bike
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
landman650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post

So, just loosen the axle bolt and rotate each adjuster. They have numbers on them, so if the frame isn't bent you just need to have each on the same position. Then tighten the axle bolt and put on a new cotter pin. I just can't remember the freeplay for the chain. Something like a 3/4" to 1" from center (or 1.5" to 2" of total play). Measured at the end of the chain slider on the top of the swingarm.
OK cool. Maybe I can have confirmation from someone, I'll be working on this later this afternoon after work.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
The Bruce
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post

+1 That's how mine is adjusted.
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
landman650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
+1 That's how mine is adjusted.
ok cool thanx
Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Squidbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
Just remember, chains on dirt bikes (yes, the DRZ is pretty much a dirt bike) like to be run pretty darn loose because of the suspension travel. The chain on my WR looks like it is about to fall off when the rear suspension is fully extended.

If you over-tighten, you will just put tremendous stress on the entire drive line. I've seen countershaft bearing fail due to over tight chains and/or belts.
Thanks for the heads up/reminder...I was going to adjust mine and probably would have went to tight.

99 Valkyrie Interstate - Black .. Fast -(Sold)
07 CBR1000rr - Red/Black ...... Faster-(Sold)
Squidbilly is offline   Reply With Quote