• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

This Weeks Bandit Project

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
After seeing the pictures of rworms bike with the plastic engine/sprocket cover removed, I took mine off the other day to see what it would look like with it off and that’s when I decided to do the following mods.

I never liked how the regulator looked where it was mounted, so I designed up a custom billet mounting bracket to mount the regulator vertically, and angled to the regulator to match the angle of the throttle bodies. The new regulator mount attached to two of the now unused 6mm threaded holes on the sprocket cover, it should get a little better cooling mounted this way also.

I then kept looking at the now ugly and visible gear position sensor and tried to figure out how to make it look better. So I designed up a custom billet aluminum cover that I machined up that did the trick. and covered up the ugly white face on the front of the sensor.

I then removed the inner aluminum sprocket cover / clutch slave cylinder and smoothed it out and painted it with Dupla-Colors semi gloss black engine enamel. I then cleaned up and wrapped all of the wiring down around the trans and secured it to the trans with a nice S/S and rubber loop strap. I also removed the inner regulator mount bracket from the top of the trans.

The next step to finish this project will be to fabricate up a new polished S/S shifter rod which should look good against the black paint, I also don’t like the looks of the squared off bottom on the sprocket cover, so I am going to design up and fabricate an 1/8” thick aluminum filler plate that will follow the contours of the frame and cover up the chain and the end of the sprocket cover. I will also paint it with the same semi-gloss black paint.

I will mount it to the sprocket cover using the two now unused 6mm threaded holes on the bottom of sprocket cover, and after looking at it now that the sprocket cover is painted black, I think that the clutch slave cylinder housing will look better if it is silver, as it will stand out and match the round shape on the engine cover, so its going to come back off and then smoothed and polished to match the gear position sensor cover and the polished shifter rod I am going to make. :rider:

My new billet regulator and gear position sensor cover
Sprocketcover024.jpg

Sprocketcover026.jpg

Sprocketcover029.jpg

it all looks good, scott. nice work. refreshingly different. clean. somtimes i think we only see a portion of what you really do to your bike.

I like the sensor cover,but ya made reg. look huge
rworm

It actually doesn't look big at all when looking at the bike in person, and I think it looks a lot better than it did before, and you know what they how pictures posted on the internet always make things look about 20 percent bigger than they actually are. :rider:

i don't guess there is enough room or wire to flip 180 where wires are hid?????
rworm

I looked at that, but turned upside down, the wires coming out of the regulator would run right into the clutch slave cylinder, and even if it did clear, it would be a tough to route the wires back around to connect them up to the wiring harness. :rider:

Looks great! Taking that big cover off sure makes a world of difference.:clap:

Edit, just curious, anyone find the location of that radiator hose a bit worrisome> Not where connected to the pump, further toward radiator, running along the frame rail. Anyone ever had, or heard of, any problems with road debris damaging it?

****to be more specific, the area just ahead of the kickstand mount.

Back