• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

OEM Sidecase Rack vs. Givi PLX539

Reaction score
Well, after thinking that the Givi PLX rack was the only rack that would mate with the smaller V35 sidecases, I just noticed that the Suzuki OEM rack utilizes the same cases :doh:. I was thinking the Suzuki gear utilized the larger E-series cases like PhilS runs...

So, I know the Givi PLX rack tucks the cases in a little more snug than the OEM rack (PN #990D0-17H00-065), but just how much?

Can someone with the OEM rack post up a straight-on shot from the rear? Roy posted up this shot of his Givi PLX rack:

attachment.php

I'm looking for the same shot, but with the OEM rack. Anyone?

trey

I think I have attached a picture, if I did it right, of a rear shot 07 Bandit with OEM rack with bags attached.

Attachments

• rear_oem_bags.jpg
    rear_oem_bags.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 771
Does anyone know if you can mount the large top box from JC Whitney onto the side mounts from the suzuki oem rack ??

I think I have attached a picture, if I did it right, of a rear shot 07 Bandit with OEM rack with bags attached.

Perfect! That's just the shot I was looking for. They don't appear to be any further out, at least not by much. Height looks to be the same on both.

The bar that's right under the license plate light, is that the "Side Mount Bar"? I thought that wasn't needed if you have the top case rack, maybe it's something else?

FroggyBandit said:
Does anyone know if you can mount the large top box from JC Whitney onto the side mounts from the suzuki oem rack ??

I don't think it'll work, but I'm not positive. If you wanted to use the JC Whitney trunks as sidecases, you'd need to get the Givi PL539. The PLX racks (like the OEM Suzuki rack) is unique to the V series cases.

trey

The bar under the license plate is a connector/brace bar. It connects the side racks together with two bolts at each end, it looks important to me. I looked at it up close and I don't think you could make it work without it. It is a very stable package.

As much as it pains me to say it, I may end up buying the SW Motech side racks (already have their top case mount) and GIVI cases soon. I hate only having my large GIVI trunk and then harnessing my Wolfman bag in front of that. Plus I am considering some 2up so it'd be a given if that happens.

Does anyone know if SM-Motech or any other manufacturer [Suzuki?] makes mounts to adapt these, more form-fitted cases to the last generation Bandit [2001]. I'd like to find better-fitting bags for this bike - otherwise it's Pelican's on the flat SW Motechs.

I like my Givi side racks/bags and top bag setup it is wonderful on a trip, unlock carry into the motel/cabin or whatever. I had over 25 lbs in each case and no problems two up.

i just got back from a 500 mile trip with over 30 lbs in each side case.. they held up great. I too would like them to be in closer though.. considering seeing if someone can do some cutting and welding to bring them in tighter..

As much as it pains me to say it, I may end up buying the SW Motech side racks (already have their top case mount) and GIVI cases soon.

Why does it pain you to say it? The price? That aside the SW-Motech side racks are excellent and the ability to remove them in seconds leaves you with a clean-looking bike when you don't need to use the cases. Just make sure you order a couple of locking mounts so no-one else can make your bike look similarly clean.......

I couldn't be happier with mine:

DSCN2820.jpg

DSCN2818.jpg

DSCN2869.jpg

Why does it pain you to say it? The price? That aside the SW-Motech side racks are excellent and the ability to remove them in seconds leaves you with a clean-looking bike when you don't need to use the cases. Just make sure you order a couple of locking mounts so no-one else can make your bike look similarly clean.......

I couldn't be happier with mine:
Cost is minimal to me, I just hate side cases. Time will tell. I am holding off on buying them until I absolutely have to have them.

Side note, do you like that rear tail light with the signals? I am about to buy one along with new fronts.

I'm not really keen on the tail light with integrated turn signals - from an aesthetic point of view I prefer a red lens to a clear one and from a safety (visibility) point of view I'd prefer to have the turn signals separate but it was a quick and easy solution to the clearance issues between the cases and the stock turn signals. It also allowed me to lose the separate licence plate lamp.

I suspect that by the time summer's over I'll have switched back to the stock unit and found an alternative turn signal arrangement that looks good and is more visible. One possibility is shortening the stalks of the stock turn signals somehow and reverting to the stock mounting position.

Regarding the side cases I generally prefer not to use them on most bikes because of width and aerodynamic issues but the PLX system keeps them well tucked in and even at an indicated 145mph the bike tracks straight without any stability issues. The same can't be said when the top box is fitted, though..... Of all the side cases I've used on various bikes only the ST1100 ones were better but that's no great surprise as they were designed in as part of the bike!

if your the electronics type, i made my own integrated tail light and used the stock red cover.. pics are in the mega thread, or if you want, i can send a few pics here. I also just installed proton lights which i highly recommend for your fronts as well as converted my running lights into blinkers

if your the electronics type, i made my own integrated tail light and used the stock red cover.. pics are in the mega thread, or if you want, i can send a few pics here.

Thanks - I saw your post when you did the mod. But in the UK turn signals have to be orange so I can't have a tail light with a red lens and integrated turn signals.

well.. the law is the same for the rear signals here in the states. Unfortunately, the pictures were deceiving but the blinker portion of the lights are amber leds, that even through the red lens appears very orange. i'll see if i can some more pics on different settings to show it a bit better...

Ok, here are a few more pics of the rear and front of the bike.. the pics still show the blinkers as more red than they really are.. but believe me, in person they wont be mistaken by "red" by anyone...I'm about to receive the OEM Trunk and will be making some lights for that as well..

Attachments

• rear blinkers, tail.jpg
    rear blinkers, tail.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 352
  • rear blinkers-bags.jpg
    rear blinkers-bags.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 415
  • front blinkers.jpg
    front blinkers.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 269
well.. the law is the same for the rear signals here in the states. Unfortunately, the pictures were deceiving but the blinker portion of the lights are amber leds, that even through the red lens appears very orange.

Your laws must be more flexible than ours because we couldn't have a red lens for a turn signal irrespective of what colour the light appeared through it. Amber lenses with clear bulbs or clear lenses with amber bulbs - that's all we can use.

hmm.. i guess that does make it so that mine would be illegal over there.. I had origanallly thought about going with the clear lens.. but have decided since that i like the red well enough... I may get the other just to see though, if i can ever find just the lens, and not the whole thing, for sale

Hey Guys

I am a new owner of a 2008 1250SA and was wondering can you mount the factory side bags with a Givi Top bag. I have the Givi top bag from anouther motorcycle and ordered the top mount (monokey) and would like to see if anyone did this combo.

Thanks
Joe

Hey Guys

I am a new owner of a 2008 1250SA and was wondering can you mount the factory side bags with a Givi Top bag. I have the Givi top bag from anouther motorcycle and ordered the top mount (monokey) and would like to see if anyone did this combo.

Thanks
Joe

The 'factory' side bags are made by Givi - they're V35s. You'll have no trouble using any Givi top box with them. I have Givi V35s with an old Givi Maxia top box, all on SW Motech mounts but the same applies to Givi or Suzuki mounts. They're all designed to work as a 3-box system.

Here's a picture of my oem rack and case.

Attachments

• back view.JPG
    back view.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 608
  • back view1.jpg
    back view1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 482
  • rear view right side.jpg
    rear view right side.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 447
So for clarification I can purchase the Suzuki OEM cases part number 990D0-V3500-000 and mount them on the OEM Suzuki mounts or the Givi PLX539 side mounts?

So for clarification I can purchase the Suzuki OEM cases part number 990D0-V3500-000 and mount them on the OEM Suzuki mounts or the Givi PLX539 side mounts?

Yes. Or the SW-Motech quick-release side mounts for the same panniers.

Can someone take some measurements for me? My OEM cases are supposed to ride the big brown truck to my house on Wednesday, and I want to know if I'm going to have to relocate my turn signals or not.

I've already replaced them with smaller ones, but I don't know if they're small enough. From the fender to the tip of the light it's just under 3.5". Will that clear the OEM setup, or should I just go ahead and find some shorter stalk signals?

trey

Back