• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riddle of the right side cover solved

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I have had this ongoing problem form time to time with the top plastic pin on my right side cover popping out of the rubber grommet while I was riding, which was quite annoying to say the least, in fact this had happened to Suzuki Joes right side cover also.

Well this weekend while I was up at my girlfriend’s house I finally figured out what causes this to happen.

I had taken my seat off several times to get at some stuff I had stashed under my seat, and after the last time I had taken the seat off and put it back on the side cover started popping off again.

Seeing as how the only thing I had done was remove my seat, I started to think that the problem with the side cover must have something to do with the seat.

Well low and behold, when I took the seat back off and looked at what could be causing the side cover to keep popping off I discovered that if you don't make sure that the lip on the top of the side cover isn’t behind the lip on the side of the seat when the seat is installed, it causes the side cover to pop off once you sit on the seat.

So when I installed the seat again I made sure that the lip on the side cover was behind the lip on the seat and it immediately stopped the side cover from popping out of the rubber grommet. :rider:

I didnt know you were having said prob. I discovered this panel pop out the first day i had my bike when pulling the seat to see what was under it then realized the seat was the culprit, Im quick on some things but very slow on others, Your billit work is to be admired, cant touch it. SZ.

Thanks for the input mates! I put a tank bra on the Bandit last weekend, and removed the seat in the process. The very next ride, I started noticing the side covers popping off during the ride. I also changed the windshield and mirror extenders when I put on the tank bra, so i wasn't really sure what the culprit was. I started wondering if the windshield was somehow changing the windflow around the bike. I will check the seat when I get home!!!

had the same issue when i bought mine. I hadnt done anything to my bike since i had just purchased it and took it back to the dealer thinking maybe the rubber grommets were to large or something. Needless to say i was a bit embarrassed and stayed away from the dealer for a while :P

Thank you Bandito! This seems to have been the fix for a vibration I was hearing since doing an oil change last week. (I also had the seat off for some reason.) Kind of a farting noise heard when accelerating in the low gears and again when downshifting. Was worried it was something to do with the filter since it was my 1st time on this bike and i had a **** of a time with the filter. But today i checked the side cover and sure enough it was outside the seat lip on the right side. Thanks!

Spoke too soon. The vibrating noise is back. Must have been the wind noise drowning it out yesterday. I'll start a new thread to ask about that.

Back