• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

vibration noise after oil change

Reaction score
My 07 Bandit 650s suddenly has a noise coming from the front, like a vibration kind of sound, like something is loose, sort of sounds like a crap muffler on a street racing suped up Honda civic.

It started right after doing my 1st oil & filter change (1st one done by me, the bike's 2nd change, it's at 3500km). The only thing I can think of is maybe I squeezed the new filter a little too hard when I put it on and maybe something is vibrating in there? I went 1 turn by hand after the gasket touched, then another 1/5 of a turn with a clamp style filter wrench. I felt like that was more than enough even though the manula says to go 2 full turns. (long story as to why I didn't have the cap cover type filter wrench.)

Nothing is leaking or dripping, filter is tight. Bike running fine. The only other thing that got moved a lot (pushed aside, not disconnected) was the radiator hose to get access to the filter.

I change the oil on my dirt bike all the time, but this was my 1st oil change on a street bike. Not sure it has anything to do with the oil change at all, but the sound is coming from that general direction and that's the only thing I've done to the bike. Any ideas, things to check that can vibrate?

Thanks.

Look for a hose or wire now against something near the engine. A sound like that is usually some kind of flexible thing against plastic.

Derwood,

I'm not familiar with the the 07 Bandit 650. I was wondering if you have the full fairing version? If so I'd check the the fitment again if you had to remove any part of that fairing for the oil/filter change.

HTH's

If you have a stephoscope, [I dont have a clue how you spell it] the thing the doctor uses to listen to your heart, put it against the filter with bike running, or you can use a socket extention or any long solid rod to your ear and touch it to where ever you think the noise may be coming from, you may already know this trick. If that filter has busted inside, get it off of there and dont use a plier type filter wrench to tighten it, They are only for removal. edit-OK i went back and read it was a clamp filter wrench, my bad.

Well the clamp thing does squeeze tighter as you turn it, so i think it is meant for removal only. Like an idiot, i was half way through the job, running around to various stores in desperation for something that would let me finish the job and ride the next day. The Suzuki dealer parts dept had closed.

Hopefully this is not the culprit. I like Valker's idea the best since I come off as less of an idiot in that scenario, so i will look for bent hoses and loose plastics in the morning. If no luck, i'll try the listening rod technique. I didn't have to remove any fairing stuff, the 650 has the same half fairing as the 1250, they look pretty much identical.

Forgot to mention, I don't hear it when the bike is cold or idling or in higher gears. Only when it is hot and I'm accelerating through the 1st few gears or downshifting / engine braking. Even when hot and idling I don't hear it until I put it in gear and pull away.

Thanks for your suggestions.

PS- this is a dumb question, but I assume if i decide to replace the filter I'll have to drain all that nice new oil and do the whole oil change over again with fresh oil?

Do you have any pics of the bike ?

It could be like a plastic buzz from the windshield or instrument panel....Might be something that's been there but you just began to notice as you got familiar with the bike.

I've ridden the 650 and know that its motor is very smooth and quiet, even more than the 1250. So I have to ask the overly obvious question, are you certain you put enough oil in?

As for the filter, if there is any doubt at all about its condition, I would change it, they aren’t that expensive but engine rebuilds are.
There will be some oil that drains out but not all of it. Park the bike on a slope or raise the front if you can to help keep the oil in. It’ll be messy. Inspect the oil filter, if you find that it was damaged, drain the rest of the oil out and fill it up with fresh oil as a precaution.
If the filter is fine, toss it anyway just to be safe and install the new one. With that done you’ll know that your oil is not the cause of the noise.

I had a look for things touching other things this morning and couldn't see anything. I didn't have time to go around with tools and tighten all the bodywork but i will.

I'm fairly certain the oil level is correct. I put Motul 5100 in and the 4000ml bottle says 500ml is left. And the level window fills up to the full line after the bike has been shut off for a few minutes (it's empty when the bike is running). So that all sounds correct I think. Filter is Suzuki OEM.

The engine sounds and performs as it always has, nice and smooth, with that cool jet engine sport bike sound.

I hope I didn't damage the mounting point for the filter somehow when i was wrestling with the old filter. It was a pain to get off.

Darn this interweb! Got me worrying about all kinds of things now. ;-)

How did you removed the stock filter? I loosened mine from the #4 cylinder side then pulled out on the #1 cylinder side
by letting the bike cool down then pushing the radiator hose out of the way. It was very easy to get in and out.

It's kinda like moving a chair or couch through a doorway.
It has to go out one edge at a time kinda sideways.......

4000MileServiceOilFilterFit.jpg

I knew to do it that way from your previous posts, Phil. Thanks for that. It wasn't gaining access, it was just trying to budge the thing at all to loosen it. When I asked about the cap cover filter wrench thing, the Suzuki dealer told me if there was easy access to the filter I could probably just do it by hand. I foolishly believed him. This is where the story goes bad and you guys realize just what kind of fool you are dealing with here...:oops:

I tried with all my might to loosen it by hand and no go. Then I tried the screwdriver thru the filter trick, reluctantly. I had to give the screwdriver a few whacks with a rubber mallet to get it to go all the way thru the filter. That leverage with the screwdriver got the filter to move about 1/8 of a turn but that was it. Then i went back to the dealer to get the cap cover i should have insisted on in the 1st place but dealer closed at 2pm. Then i went to auto parts store and got the clamp style filter wrench that has 2 metal sides that squeeze together as you turn the centre-piece with your socket wrench. This did the trick but it dug into the filter's case a bit as it squeezed. It seemed to come off fine once it was loose.

New filter threaded on fine, not cross threaded, noted when the filter 1st touched the engine, then turned 1 full turn by hand and that's all i could manage. Knowing that the manual says to go 2 full turns, I put the filter wrench back on very gingerly and turned it another 8th of a turn, making sure filter wrench did not pierce the filter casing. It did leave a couple tiny dents in the casing. Put oil in, ran bike, window level seemed good, no drips, done.

2 days later, rode bike to work and back (40km). Noticed vibration farting-type noise once bike warmed up, only on accelerating and downshifting. Not there while idling at stoplight or while cruising along city streets.

Hopefully the oil change is all good and the noise is something else. But I'm a professional worrier so my 1st thought is that i screwed something up.

Agreed - I used the big toothy clamp tool to loosen the filter as well - worked perfect but chewed up the filter. Then again, who cares - it's aold filter.

Glad to hear you're on your way. :rider:

Did you fill the filter first with oil? I did as I thought I read that somewhere before but was concerned it would goop all over the place. Lo and behold, it did not. It spun on and sealed right up.

Well that was my recounting of last week's oil change. I haven't RE-done the oil change yet as Brass wisely suggests. Still hoping I won't have to. But I've been riding it this whole time.

Just seeing if any of you guys have heard such a noise before and have the magic answer - ie "thats what happens when you wrestle the filter too much, the watchamathing breaks and then the whose-it rattles", or some such.

I didn't pour oil into the filter, just smeared some on the rubber gasket on the filter before screwing it on. Was i supposed to pour some in? I do fill it halfway on my dirt bike because I read you are supposed to, but I didn't read anything about that on this type of threaded filter.

I think if anything went wrong with this filter business it would have been during the hammering of the screwdriver thru the old filter. Is it possible i broke something where the filter makes contact with the engine? Not the threads but the stuff in the middle? Because of the force exerted on the filter laterally? Or does nothing really touch except the threads?

Going to tighten any loose body parts now.

D

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. I've heard others mention exhaust header bolts coming loose on their low mile Bandits.

Back